• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Jonas Mahonas

2018-19

Rate this topic

17 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

What is Hicketts tho? I admit I havent seen much of him, so I dont know. Is he going to be a 2nd pair guy or another 3rd pair guy? I know he's smallish, so can he really hold up to the NHL grind for an almost full season? Or would it be better to bring him up later in the season when he'll have fewer games to play.

If he's gonna be a solid 2nd pair guy, is he better than Green, Daley, DD, Ericsson or Kronwall are now to take their spot and minutes? If so, bring him up later this season when injuries open up a spot, or after Green is traded. If not, then it might be better to keep him in GR.

If he's a 3rd pair guy, then its Jensen and XO that are keeping him off the roster and getting rid of a top 4 guy would be pointless. Holland would never put E or Kronner on waivers anyway.

My guess is, the Wings trade Green at the deadline and then bring up Hicketts so that he gets a sampling of the NHL without rubbing him down like a pencil eraser.

https://theathletic.com/139428/2017/10/29/strang-red-wings-prospect-joe-hicketts-no-longer-being-overlooked/

"He was close to making our team this year," said longtime Red Wings forward Daniel Cleary, now a director of player development with the organization. "Very, very damn close."

I like Hicketts. Highly skilled, good hockey sense, good first pass, good PP QB, hits like a freight train, plays to win. Dunno that his NHL ceiling is anything special, though. Blashill said at the end of the preseason that his skating is a weakness. Not sure I agree with that, but Blashill might've just been sending one of those "This is what you need to work on. Do that and we'll be happy with you" messages.

I wanted him to make the team out of camp and I want him on the team now. But, yeah, if we're being objective, it probably makes more sense to just keep him down until Green's traded or we're hit with mulitple injuries on the back end.

1 hour ago, joshy207 said:

I don't think the buyout hit will hurt as long as it's part of a bigger rebuild/retool/whatever you want to call it.  For me, that includes trading one of Helm or Nielsen, one of Tatar or Nyquist, and one of Howard or Mrazek.  The payroll cut by moving those players would more than offset the cost of buying out Ericsson, and it allows for re-signing Mantha, Larkin, Athanasiou, and still gives them some flexibility.

Those moves are never ALL going to happen, and even still I dont do the buyout because I want as much cap flexibility as possible when it counts. We move Nielsen/Helm, they go for JT and it all evens out anyways.

1 hour ago, LoveMyRedWings56 said:

Putting Jensen on waivers to send him down makes zero sense, And Holland seems to like Ouellet so i doubt that happens. And you're really serious about buying out Kronwall? You know that Holland would never do that. Any ways it's possible that Kronwall retires in his last full season so no reason to buy him out period. Green will be dealt for the right price here at the TDL.

XO and Jensen are cheap bottom pairing D men and the Wings need to rebuild here, So trading them makes absolutely zero sense.

I didnt suggest trading them. Just that theyre not good.

2 hours ago, LoveMyRedWings56 said:

Putting Jensen on waivers to send him down makes zero sense, And Holland seems to like Ouellet so i doubt that happens. And you're really serious about buying out Kronwall? You know that Holland would never do that. Any ways it's possible that Kronwall retires in his last full season so no reason to buy him out period. Green will be dealt for the right price here at the TDL.

No I'm not serious. Because neither Kronwall nor Ericsson would get bought out. My point was buying out Kronwall is likely the cheaper option. But neither is likely to happen but Holland likes them both (Yes Holland like Ericsson, I knew we don't but he does). Also, there is a higher probability that Jensen gets sent down or XO gets traded before either Kronwall or Ericsson are moved. That's what my point is. All hypothetical because we're all discussing it hypothetically. 

Of course I could be wrong and Ericsson gets traded tomorrow but Jim Carrey thought there's a one in a million chance so you never know. 

Edited by kickazz

55 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I didnt suggest trading them. Just that theyre not good.

You suggested trading XO and sending Jensen down which would require placing him on waivers. Holland likes Ouellet and Jensen and unless our new GM has a change of heart i doubt either goes anywhere.

On 10/29/2017 at 1:50 AM, Dabura said:

I know I keep mentioning him, but I really like the idea of Jared Spurgeon as our stopgap top-pairing offensive defenseman.

In a "perfect" world, Nyquist (+ sweetener) gets us Spurgeon.

That + would've to be awfully good a Leaf fan on HF Boards was offering Marner for Spurgeon.

3 hours ago, joshy207 said:

I don't think the buyout hit will hurt as long as it's part of a bigger rebuild/retool/whatever you want to call it.  For me, that includes trading one of Helm or Nielsen, one of Tatar or Nyquist, and one of Howard or Mrazek.  The payroll cut by moving those players would more than offset the cost of buying out Ericsson, and it allows for re-signing Mantha, Larkin, Athanasiou, and still gives them some flexibility.

Yeah fat chance we trade Nielsen after 2 years besides i believe he has a 10 team no trade list starting in the 2018/2019 season. Nyquist is possible but once again a full NTC And Holland said that he plans on possibly not qualifying Mrazek. Both Garrioch and Friedman had said that both Helm+Nyquist could be on the market but both of their NTC could be a possible hindrance depending on how many teams are on their NTC.Sorry it's Ericsson that has a 19 team no trade list in 2018/2019 Helm has a full NTC through 2018/2019 so he would have to agree to the deal and i doubt he would.

Edited by LoveMyRedWings56

2 hours ago, LoveMyRedWings56 said:

You suggested trading XO and sending Jensen down which would require placing him on waivers. Holland likes Ouellet and Jensen and unless our new GM has a change of heart i doubt either goes anywhere.

To be fair, that statement was only made in response to Joshy pushing for a buyout of E (which I had been going back and forth with him over). Not to speak for @kickazz, but his point was that if we NEEDED a roster spot, there were things we could do other then buyout E and face a caphit for when it matters. I dont think the point was that we should waive Jensen or XO.

2 minutes ago, kliq said:

To be fair, that statement was only made in response to Joshy pushing for a buyout of E (which I had been going back and forth with him over). Not to speak for @kickazz, but his point was that if we NEEDED a roster spot, there were things we could do other then buyout E and face a caphit for when it matters. I dont think the point was that we should waive Jensen or XO.

DON'T YOU DARE SPEAK FOR ME KLIQ. 

2 hours ago, The Datsyukian Deke said:

Ah, that NTC candy..thanks, Kenny..

Which leads to the question of all questions, again..wtf is the Ilitch family doing? Why own a hockey team if you don't care about success? I don't get it..

Because "success" for an owner, and "success" for a fan are not necessarily the same thing.

If you asked most owners, "would you rather be garbage for 9 years and be in last place, then in year 10 win the cup, then do it again, OR for 10 years be good but be bounced in either the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd rounds each year, most would pick the later.

I believe the Illitch's want Holland to re-build this team BUT at the same time keep it relatively competitive (ie. they do not want an Arizona situation). 

42 minutes ago, kliq said:

Because "success" for an owner, and "success" for a fan are not necessarily the same thing.

If you asked most owners, "would you rather be garbage for 9 years and be in last place, then in year 10 win the cup, then do it again, OR for 10 years be good but be bounced in either the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd rounds each year, most would pick the later.

I believe the Illitch's want Holland to re-build this team BUT at the same time keep it relatively competitive (ie. they do not want an Arizona situation). 

Ken Holland has no chance.

17 hours ago, kliq said:

Exactly this. I always had the impression that Mike Ilitch was more about the product, giving the fans more, regardless of cost. He seemed to be more of a fan first, owner second. He was willing to lose money if need be. Chris Ilitch seems to me to be more concerned with the business side, being profitable, etc. For that reason, I don't see the team ever going into full-on "tank" mode. IF this team is going to get a 1st or 2nd overall pick, they will have to really be that bad.

22 hours ago, The Datsyukian Deke said:

Ah, that NTC candy..thanks, Kenny..

Which leads to the question of all questions, again..wtf is the Ilitch family doing? Why own a hockey team if you don't care about success? I don't get it..

They just built an entire arena district, people will come if the Wings are good or not for awhile

5 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Exactly this. I always had the impression that Mike Ilitch was more about the product, giving the fans more, regardless of cost. He seemed to be more of a fan first, owner second. He was willing to lose money if need be. Chris Ilitch seems to me to be more concerned with the business side, being profitable, etc. For that reason, I don't see the team ever going into full-on "tank" mode. IF this team is going to get a 1st or 2nd overall pick, they will have to really be that bad.

Or lucky. See: Philadelphia Flyers - 2017 Draft.

On 11/4/2017 at 7:20 PM, LoveMyRedWings56 said:

Please, point out where I said either of those things.

3 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Two 20-point D-men who are average to below average on the defensive side of the puck? You got yourself a pair of jabronis.

Those godam jobbers

10 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Yeah CRL why did you say those things ?? 

:lol:

9 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

It might've been another poster that said trade XO and send down Jensen i know i saw it somewhere.

9 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Sorry dude it was kickazz that mentioned trading XO and sending down Jensen if i made any reference towards you i apologize got the wrong person here.

15 hours ago, DickieDunn said:

They just built an entire arena district, people will come if the Wings are good or not for awhile

50 minutes ago, The Datsyukian Deke said:

Mhhhmmm....that's why I see empty seats all the time...

Just because they're not in their seats doesn't mean they're not in the arena district tho' ...