• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Wings3:16

Ryan Sproul traded for Matt Puempel

Rate this topic

2 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Matt Puempel and Scott Wilson for Sproul and Sheahan? Great haul Holland... 

Should’ve got Tavares for the pair! Smh... 

/s :P obv..

but more importantly, cap space to get AA on the team. 

“Ya gotta get this Sproul guy, coach. Trust me” 

-Brendan Smith, probably 

Edited by amato

I was a big Sproul fan, but he was never going to get a real shot in Detroit, so this is essentially a minor league trade. I'm not sure why though. I'd still prefer Sproul on the Griffins than Puempel. Maybe it was made to make room for Hronek and Saarijarvi...

1 minute ago, krsmith17 said:

I was a big Sproul fan, but he was never going to get a real shot in Detroit, so this is essentially a minor league trade. I'm not sure why though. I'd still prefer Sproul on the Griffins than Puempel. Maybe it was made to make room for Hronek and Saarijarvi...

Yeah, I think this is a logjam move.

1 hour ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

I can live with it.

I can't believe your saying that Holland is a great GM :lol:

On a side note, if NY wanted Sproul, why not just put in a wavier claim for him a month ago?

Edited by kliq

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

Pretty much what I was thinking. Also liked Sproul but would prefer younger guys get a chance in GR over him. 

Also! I actually agree with WiiM for once :P first time for everything? 

https://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2017/10/21/16514650/red-wings-trade-riley-sheahan-ryan-sproul-penguins-rangers-for-scott-wilson-matt-puempel-picks

In terms of reaction to the news, I’m glad that Sproul is out of the logjam and that Detroit was able to upgrade a 5th round pick to a 3rd rounder with the Sheahan deal. I think Pittsburgh is going to look pretty smart in the end for grabbing Sheahan as their 3C, but I also think Sheahan probably wasn’t going to live up to that in Detroit anyway.

This will give the Wings the space on the roster, the cap, and in the lineup for their returning burner Athanasiou, will give the Griffins more space on their blue line to play prospects like Filip Hronek/call up Vili Saarijarvi from Toledo, and will take one more stopgap callup option away on defense for Ken Holland. Not a bad day overall.

1 hour ago, Dabura said:

Plunger just helped our back-end logjam. The Universe smiles upon us.

brilliant.jpg.53d940ab33f8cbfc6e71f040f699ed7f.jpg

This from Wikipedia:

Eager for the chance to select Puempel, Ottawa traded a pair of second-round picks (35th and 48th overall) to Detroit in order to obtain the 24th overall spot in the 2011 draft.

Wouldn't expect to get much of a return on a player who was just waived - and thus offered up for free. The plunger probably won't see the NHL, but neither would Sproul here, I think. Hopefully helps GR. 

Good trade for Sproul to try his lot with another team.

Edited by PavelValerievichDatsyuk

28 minutes ago, Keep Your Stick On the Ice said:

Does anyone got a scouting report for Puempel?

Unremarkable depth winger. Has some skill and scoring ability (drafted 24th overall), but he's settled in as a(n) AHLer/fringe NHLer. He should help the Griffins, who could use the extra scoring punch at forward.

1 hour ago, Dabura said:

Unremarkable depth winger. Has some skill and scoring ability (drafted 24th overall), but he's settled in as a(n) AHLer/fringe NHLer. He should help the Griffins, who could use the extra scoring punch at forward.

Still better option than Ericsson 

On October 21, 2017 at 6:10 PM, krsmith17 said:

Matt Puempel and Scott Wilson for Sproul and Sheahan? Great haul Holland... 

Ya holland needs to go , like frk sproul  never really got a shot instead opting for waste of space Ericsson and Daley , outside green we have zero offensive dmen , puempel is garbage so we just released sproul in my eyes 

also believe we should have got a 2nd or 3rd alone for sheahan without losing a pick and taking on another 4th liner ... We have turgeon bertuzzi svechnikov coming , wtf do we need Wilson for?? Hope our idiot gm trades him at the deadline

7 minutes ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

Ya holland needs to go , like frk sproul  never really got a shot instead opting for waste of space Ericsson and Daley , outside green we have zero offensive dmen , puempel is garbage so we just released sproul in my eyes 

also believe we should have got a 2nd or 3rd alone for sheahan without losing a pick and taking on another 4th liner ... We have turgeon bertuzzi svechnikov coming , wtf do we need Wilson for?? Hope our idiot gm trades him at the deadline

You know Sproul cleared waivers right? It's a AHL for AHL trade. If he was that good someone would have picked him up.