• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

NerveDamage

10/22 GDT : Vancouver Canucks vs Detroit Red Wings 7:00 PM EDT

Rate this topic

Ouellet had another costly turnover tonight and Green looked drunk and none of the defensemen were good -- but the Canucks exploited the bejesus out of Kronwall and Ericsson tonight. I'm sorry, but you can't have Kronwall and Ericssson in the top four, and you can't give Kronwall -- who literally has no cartilage in one of his knees -- first-pairing minutes. And when Kronwall is pinching and pressing all over the place and it keeps resulting in odd-man rushes and you don't force him to cut that s*** out, you are bad at your job.

"This shows how important DeKeyser is to this Red Wings team" will be the storyline, and it's true...to an extent. He's important because he takes some minutes away from Kronwall.

Bring up Hicketts. If there's no space, make space. This D group needs to not be a thing anymore. Not that I'm surprised by the results, mind you. Just saying.

2 minutes ago, Dabura said:

Ouellet had another costly turnover tonight and Green looked drunk and none of the defensemen were good -- but the Canucks exploited the bejesus out of Kronwall and Ericsson tonight. I'm sorry, but you can't have Kronwall and Ericssson in the top four, and you can't give Kronwall -- who literally has no cartilage in one of his knees -- first-pairing minutes. And when Kronwall is pinching and pressing all over the place and it keeps resulting in odd-man rushes and you don't force him to cut that s*** out, you are bad at your job.

"This shows how important DeKeyser is to this Red Wings team" will be the storyline, and it's true...to an extent. He's important because he takes some minutes away from Kronwall.

Bring up Hicketts. If there's no space, make space. This D group needs to not be a thing anymore. Not that I'm surprised by the results, mind you. Just saying.

DeKeyser sucks too from what I remember.  Unless he's vastly improved from last season's version.

6 minutes ago, GMRwings1983 said:

DeKeyser sucks too from what I remember.  Unless he's vastly improved from last season's version.

He's a 4D that we need to be more than a 4D because we don't have anything resembling a true 1D. I'm just saying there will probably be puff pieces written about how DeKeyser is a stabilizing presence on our blue line and how we desperately need him back, all when everyone -- including the Khans and St. Jameses who get paid to be mouthpieces for the organization -- knows we have one of the very worst D groups in the league even when DeKeyser is in the lineup. And it continues to piss me off that things have gotten this bad.

tl;dr Our defense sucks and it's depressing as hell that, after five years of no Lidstrom and no Rafalski, this is the best that Holland could scrape together.

19 minutes ago, HadThomasVokounOnFortSt said:

Weird that a coach would actually outcoach Blashill. ;)

So far this season I actually haven't had much to complain about re: Blashill's coaching and decision-making. Tonight was the first game of the season where I felt like the other coach just straight-up owned his ass. Travis Green had a clear gameplan and the team executed it extremely effectively. We had no answer.

I think this loss falls mostly on the players' shoulders, but the lack of in-game adjustments was baffling. We came out of the second intermission playing the exact same game that had put us in a hole in the second period and Blashill didn't seem to give a f***. He and the players were totally outclassed tonight and they all took it lying down. Every single play that Z made with the puck tonight was a forced, low-percentage play.

Brutal. Just brutal.

Edited by Dabura

The Wings had a tough stretch of games against good teams, but they played well and could have had a couple of wins.  Last night's effort was pretty bad.  This loss isn't like the others.  Playing well against good teams and losing isn't the same as playing bad against a bad team and losing.  If they're up for the game, that's on the coaching staff.

Unfortunately, I feel like a lot of the blame is on Blash.  We have good young players coming in, looking great and then regressing as time goes on.  We have players in spots that they shouldn't be in (XO and Jensen on the ice for the final minute against the Caps with a lead, Kronwall on the PP, Abdelkader in the 6 top).  Not being prepared for teams that they should beat.  Not giving certain players enough ice time (I don't know for sure, but this could be why AA held out).  For whatever reason, Blash doesn't seem to be working well with this group of players and I think its about time we start looking elsewhere. Not saying that the Wings are Cup contenders or anything, but the wrong coach can really screw up a team.  Look at the Pens a couple years ago with Mike Johnson.  Average to below average team, he gets fired, they put Sullivan in and they win two straight Cups.  I think if we get a coach that knows how to maximize the potential of these younger players, we're a playoff team for sure.  Probably not a Cup contender because of the problems on defense, but a playoff team.

5 hours ago, xtrememachine1 said:

The Wings had a tough stretch of games against good teams, but they played well and could have had a couple of wins.  Last night's effort was pretty bad.  This loss isn't like the others.  Playing well against good teams and losing isn't the same as playing bad against a bad team and losing.  If they're up for the game, that's on the coaching staff.

Unfortunately, I feel like a lot of the blame is on Blash.  We have good young players coming in, looking great and then regressing as time goes on.  We have players in spots that they shouldn't be in (XO and Jensen on the ice for the final minute against the Caps with a lead, Kronwall on the PP, Abdelkader in the 6 top).  Not being prepared for teams that they should beat.  Not giving certain players enough ice time (I don't know for sure, but this could be why AA held out).  For whatever reason, Blash doesn't seem to be working well with this group of players and I think its about time we start looking elsewhere. Not saying that the Wings are Cup contenders or anything, but the wrong coach can really screw up a team.  Look at the Pens a couple years ago with Mike Johnson.  Average to below average team, he gets fired, they put Sullivan in and they win two straight Cups.  I think if we get a coach that knows how to maximize the potential of these younger players, we're a playoff team for sure.  Probably not a Cup contender because of the problems on defense, but a playoff team.

When were the Pens that bad recently?  Coaching can make a difference but so can having Crosby and Malkin, as well as having a well rounded team.  

Whoever the best coach in the league is, I believe that person would still struggle trying to get this Wings team into the playoffs.  They just don't have the horses.