• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

LeftWinger

Official 2018 NHL Amateur Entry Draft Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

4 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

I think everyone would agree that our biggest need is defense, but if we end up with 4 or 5 picks in the first two rounds, I definitely wouldn't take all defensemen. I think our first pick should definitely be a defenseman, especially considering the quantity of quality defensemen at the top of the draft next year, but I'd mix a couple forwards in there for sure. It's not like we're stacked up front. We have three or four promising young top six forwards, but that's about it. Unless everything else is equal, we should be taking best player available in my opinion.

Agreed. When you just take one position, you are much more likely to miss a really good player.

6 hours ago, Dabura said:

I did the draft lottery simulator on both http://nhllotterysimulator.com and http://www.tankathon.com/nhl. Bad news is we dropped back to 7th and 6th respectively on the first spin on each site. Good news is we moved up to number 1 with the second spin on both...

First spin on http://nhllotterysimulator.com and this happened:

picks.png.d13bac25f8ee983119eae6143688756d.png

Technically, it could be worse. Chicago is currently a lottery team, but the site is out of date. 

Just imagine the joy of Pens and Blackhawks missing the playoffs, but then them getting the first two picks and the Wings dropping to 7th.

On 12/22/2017 at 11:27 AM, Dabura said:

I really like Evan Bouchard. Could be this year's big sleeper.

Serron Noel is intriguing.

Not sure how a guy in everyones top 5 can be called a sleeper? He has been a projected top 10 pick for 2 or 3 years now. Sleepers are the guys that rocket up the rankings the last few months before the draft.

17 minutes ago, Richdg said:

Not sure how a guy in everyones top 5 can be called a sleeper? He has been a projected top 10 pick for 2 or 3 years now. Sleepers are the guys that rocket up the rankings the last few months before the draft.

Show me one semi-respected source with Evan Bouchard in the top 5. Hell I'll even settle for top 10.

They need D and another high end center.  If they end up at #2, and Svechnikov is still easily the #2 prospect, they're going to have a decision to make.  Move down and get a center or D not rated quite as high, or take a top prospect at a position of strength.  I think the smart choice there would be to take Svechnikov, and then move Mantha alone, or with minimal other assets or AA plus another asset for a good young D.  Or they can try to move the 2nd overall for a bigger need.

Regardless, smart teams take the best player regardless of position.  If you have a D and a winger who are close, take the D, but if the winger is clearly better, take him.  Then use your surplus at a position and trade for a need.  Of course, Holland seems to be either unwilling or unable to do that part, but that's the smart strategy.

6 hours ago, Son of a Wing said:

Show me one semi-respected source with Evan Bouchard in the top 5. Hell I'll even settle for top 10.

Need to correct myself. He is ranked between 5 and 13th by most sites. In most mock drafts he is top 10. The highest I have seen him ranked is 5th.

He is having a big year in Junior to date. If that continues he will be a top 10 pick with a good chance at top 5 depending on order. Good offensive RHed Dman are gold.

6 minutes ago, Richdg said:

Need to correct myself. He is ranked between 5 and 13th by most sites. In most mock drafts he is top 10. The highest I have seen him ranked is 5th.

He is having a big year in Junior to date. If that continues he will be a top 10 pick with a good chance at top 5 depending on order. Good offensive RHed Dman are gold.

He asked for a source. Not more fake news.

45 minutes ago, Richdg said:

Nope but keep making crap up like you're known for. 

I'm curious if you even believe your own lies or if you'll just say anything to try and make a point. 

4 hours ago, Richdg said:

Need to correct myself.

Ummm... need to correct yourself further

11 hours ago, Richdg said:

Not sure how a guy in everyones top 5 can be called a sleeper? 

First you said he's in everyones top 5.

4 hours ago, Richdg said:

He is ranked between 5 and 13th by most sites.

Then you corrected yourself and said he's between 5th and 13th on most sites.

But in reality he’s hovering in the mid 20s

Edited by kickazz

He may be referring to https://www.draftsite.com/nhl/mock-draft/2018/, who have Bouchard ranked 5th overall... However, if this is the reputable source, you really need to find better sources for your draft rankings. This one has to be one of the worst out there in my opinion. 

As for actual reputable sources, Bob McKenzie has him outside of his top 20 preseason rankings https://www.tsn.ca/the-year-of-swedish-defencemen-1.852963. Craig Button had him at 23 in his pre-season ranking, but moved up to 20 on his list last month https://www.tsn.ca/craig-s-list-dahlin-dominating-one-canadian-in-top-10-1.915356. I guess you can also consider a couple Sportsnet guys to be somewhat reputable... Jeff Marek had him ranked 13 on his list last month http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/sportsnets-2018-nhl-draft-prospect-rankings-november/ and Sam Cosentino has him ranked 14 on his list this month http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/sportsnets-2018-nhl-draft-prospect-rankings-november/.

I usually just go by the TSN rankings (Mac and Button), as they usually tend to be the most accurate year after year. A lot of other guys usually go for the hot takes, or purposely go off the board with random players, just in case they rise or fall, they can be the ones to say they knew when others didn't...

For what it's worth, here are a few other random sites, that I personally don't take a whole lot of stock in, but I'm sure some do... Hockey Prospects have him ranked outside of their top 31 http://www.eliteprospects.com/draftcenter.php?year=2018&layout=&ranking=Rank5. International Scouting Services have him ranked at 13 http://www.eliteprospects.com/draftcenter.php?year=2018&layout=&ranking=Rank3. Future Considerations have him ranked at 16 http://www.eliteprospects.com/draftcenter.php?year=2018&layout=&ranking=Rank4. McKeen's Hockey has him ranked at 28 http://www.eliteprospects.com/draftcenter.php?year=2018&layout=&ranking=Rank6.

I don't know much about Bouchard other than his stats, as I haven't done much research on many of the draft eligible players yet, but if we could get him with the Green trade, I'd be thrilled.

Since people like to call me a liar. Here you go:

Future Considerations #16

Central Scouting has him as an A rated player

ISS has him #13

Hockey Draft Central #13 in December

Ryan Pike on Hockey Writers #16 in November

Sportsbreak #13 in August

Sportsnet Jeff Maesk #13 in November

He was also the London Knights #1 pick 3 years ago.

Which brings me back to the point, he isn't a sleeper. He is a highly rated player. he has been for years. he is on pace for over 80 points this year for London. he will be taken in the first 10 picks in the draft and I bet it will be between 5-7. Save the post. I bet I am right.

Just for reference. Some other crazy things I have said over the last 5+ years.

tatar and nyquist are 40 point per year guys. Guess what they are.

mantha will be our pick. Called it about 5 months before the draft.

had Larkin in my final 3 possible for the 2014 draft months before the draft.

had svechnikov in my final 3 possibles weeks before the 2015 draft.

way off in 2016.

didn't do much about the 2017 draft due to personnel issues. Called rasmussen as 1 of 3 possibles the day before the draft.

Was discussing the "swedish mafia" stuff a year ago. Got flamed. Now others on this forum are talking about it, using the term and wondering if it is true.

But hey what do I know. I lie about everything. Clearly.

Edited by Richdg

Since people like to call me a liar. Here you go:

Future Considerations #16

Central Scouting has him as an A rated player

ISS has him #13

Hockey Draft Central #13 in December

Ryan Pike on Hockey Writers #16 in November

Sportsbreak #13 in August

Sportsnet Jeff Maesk #13 in November

So none of them are below #13 though? So you need to again correct your range from "5-13" to "13 and above".

Which means he's not top 10.

First you said he's top 5 on "most sites" then you said he's between 5 and 13 on most sites and now when you're giving us sources NONE of them are between 5 and 13. Don't count the bulls*** London Knights from 3 years ago btw lol. 

You see why people calling you a liar?  You NEVER fact check yourself, you overrexagerrate and you almost always end up being incorrect  when you do go fact check. 

Next time you should look the stuff up before you post, that way we can take you more seriously and have a somewhat healthy discussion. (I say somewhat because I can't promise anything if I'm feeling dickish)

Edited by kickazz

14 minutes ago, kickazz said:

So none of them are below #13 though? So you need to again correct your range from "5-13" to "13 and above".

Which means he's not top 10.

First you said he's top 5 on "most sites" then you said he's between 5 and 13 on most sites and now when you're giving us sources NONE of them are between 5 and 13. Don't count the bulls*** London Knights from 3 years ago btw lol. 

You see why people calling you a liar?  You NEVER fact check yourself, you overrexagerrate and you almost always end up being incorrect  when you do go fact check. 

Next time you should look the stuff up before you post, that way we can take you more seriously and have a somewhat healthy discussion. (I say somewhat because I can't promise anything if I'm feeling dickish)

Then way do you waste your time? If I am full of crap and do nothing but lie, stop reading. It really is that simple. Pretty simple really......

Then way do you waste your time? If I am full of crap and do nothing but lie, stop reading. It really is that simple. Pretty simple really......

I have a problem with misinformation and fake news. Like a fake news vigilante of sorts. I don't take it to twitter like our fearless leader, I take it to lgw.com 

I also don't have a life ever since I screwed up with my 401k and forgot to invest in Bitcoin, Litecoin, Ripple and Zcash. Because of these decisions my hot blonde gf left me for a dog named Christopherreeveslegs. Can you believe it? The guy is a eunuch. 

Edited by kickazz

1 minute ago, kickazz said:

I have a problem with misinformation and fake news. Like a fake news vigilante of sorts. I don't take it to twitter like our fearless leader, I take it to lgw.com 

I understand that. But I also understand speaking in generalities and the difference between opinion and stats. If I say I see player X as a 60 point per year player does that mean he scores exactly 60 points per year? Or does that mean that over several years time he will average around 60 points. It could be 58, it could be 63, etc.... If I saw a guy is top 10 in the league does that mean he is tenth? 5th? 1st? That one gets hard becasue everyone has a different opinion of players. Who is the best player in the NHL right now? Ask 10 guys get at least 7 answers. So you group them. Far to many get far to upset about things that don't really matter-our opinions about hockey.

With that, Happy New Year!

11 minutes ago, Richdg said:

I understand that. But I also understand speaking in generalities and the difference between opinion and stats. If I say I see player X as a 60 point per year player does that mean he scores exactly 60 points per year? Or does that mean that over several years time he will average around 60 points. It could be 58, it could be 63, etc.... If I saw a guy is top 10 in the league does that mean he is tenth? 5th? 1st? That one gets hard becasue everyone has a different opinion of players. Who is the best player in the NHL right now? Ask 10 guys get at least 7 answers. So you group them. Far to many get far to upset about things that don't really matter-our opinions about hockey.

The difference is you said he was a top 5 player on most sources but in reality he was nowhere close. That's the difference. It's not a matter of opinion, you just gave us some wrong facts and people can't take you seriously when you do that. It prevents actual discussion because we feel as though we're talking to a wall and it turns people off. 

It would be one thing if you said "I think he's going to be a top 5 prospect" but you basically said he's being listed by that by multiple sources, which is not true at all. 

Anyways we're all family here, Happy New Years Rich! 

Edited by kickazz

41 minutes ago, Richdg said:

If you called a guy who scored 58 points a 60 point scorer, nobody would say anything.

We come on here to discuss the Red Wings as clearly we all share a passion for this team. With that being said, we all disagree from time to time. The problem with what you do, is when you disagree with someone you will throw out "facts" that are just not true.

This is a perfect example. Poster says this kid is a sleeper, and you dispute that by saying you wouldn't call a guy that is top 5 in most experts list a sleeper. If everyone had him at 6, I wouldn't have said anything. But when he isnt even top 10 and is closer to 13 on most lists, people will saying something.

You're a solid contributor to this site Rich, but when you use stats and are way off it hurts your credibility and when it happens time after time after time, people stop taking you seriously.

Just fact check before you post numbers.

To be clear, I say this because I want to have healthy debates with you. But it's frustrating to debate with someone who just says whatever they need to in an attempt to make their point.

Please dont take this personally, I'm not trying to piss you off or come off like a jerk. I'm trying to give you advice so we can continue to talk hockey.