• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

LeftWinger

Official 2018 NHL Amateur Entry Draft Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

Ok, this is simple.

Let's say, we trade away Tatar, Nyquist, XO, Green, Ericsson, Howard and Mrazek.

Abby, Helm and Glen are still hurt.

That Leaves

AA - Larkin - Frk

Bertuzzi -  Z - Mantha

Booth - Nielsen - Turgeon

Witowski (who can actually be the 7th D as well)

DD - Daley

Kronwall - Jensen

Halak (in the Howard Deal)

Now, looks like we need three forwards, two defensemen and a goalie.  We do not want to deplete GR, but we do have options.  Of course I am getting a few from GR, lets say Coreau, Hicketts, Puempel, Street. The Walleye only have two of our contracted players, Machovsky and Nastasiuk, who can come to GR and not deplete Toledo.  We also have a D on loan in Europe, Libor Sulak, who we could bring over to help fill the empty spots. Also, you're getting Foote back in the Green deal and he would replace Hicketts in GR.  Puempel and Street will only be up until Helm, Abby or Glen come back, like I said Witowski can double up as the extra forward or extra D. So lets see:

AA - Larkin - Frk

Bertuzzi - Z - Mantha

Street - Nielsen - Booth

Witkowski - Turgeon - Puempel

DD - Daley

Kronwall - Jensen

Hicketts - Sulak

Halak

Coreau

Full team iced.

It's entirely possible and doable, but of course highly unlikely. But for Gits and Shiggles, this is how it could work without depleting GR.

Edited by LeftWinger

It's very possible that we could have 4 picks in the top 35 or so in this year's draft. We'll get a top 10, maybe top 5, hopefully top 3, praying for #1... along with a late first for Green (28-31), and two early 2nd's, our own (34-39), as well as Ottawa's from the Smith trade (34-39). That's not even including the possibility of trading other pieces. MORE PICKS PLEASE MR. HOLLAND!!!

8 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

I hope that we get a first for Green, and that the team that acquires him gets bounced in the first round. 

I hope we trade Green to the Leafs (no lottery protection) and they free fall out of a playoff position, and win the draft lottery... :yahoo:

I actually agree that trading either Nyquist or Tatar for a mid-round first aint a horrible idea, combine that with trading Green for a 1st (along with another pick and prospect) and we'd be sitting pretty good in what's supposed to be a very very strong draft class.

During lunch reading this http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/sportsnets-2018-nhl-draft-prospect-rankings-january/ and noticed the following of the current top 10 potentials and understand they can drop others come up etc.

But

5 of the top 10 are D

7 of the top 15 are D

9 of the top 20 are D

so the chances of us having a high pick and getting a semi-stud of a defenseman might happen obviously getting number is our current goal. 

Seems like there's only one thing everyone can agree on: Rasmus Dahlin is incredible and will absolutely, positively go 1st overall. Beyond that, there's no solid agreement between any two people in the world re: ranking the best of the rest. Andei Svechnikov could go 2nd...or he could go 5th. Brady Tkachuk could go 2nd...or he could go 8th. Adam Boqvist could go 2nd or 3rd or 4th or 14th. Filip Zadina's stock is rising like crazy, but he's a winger playing in the high-scoring QMJHL, so who the hell knows if he's really That Good. Evan Bouchard's stock is rising like crazy, but defensemen are a crapshoot. Noah Dobson's rising like crazy, but defensemen are a crapshoot. Some people think Bode Wilde is a future top-pairing stud, some people think he's another Erik Gudbranson. Joe Veleno could be the steal of the draft or a crushing disappointment or something in between.

I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO BELIEVE ANYMORE

50 minutes ago, Dabura said:

Seems like there's only one thing everyone can agree on: Rasmus Dahlin is incredible and will absolutely, positively go 1st overall. Beyond that, there's no solid agreement between any two people in the world re: ranking the best of the rest. Andei Svechnikov could go 2nd...or he could go 5th. Brady Tkachuk could go 2nd...or he could go 8th. Adam Boqvist could go 2nd or 3rd or 4th or 14th. Filip Zadina's stock is rising like crazy, but he's a winger playing in the high-scoring QMJHL, so who the hell knows if he's really That Good. Evan Bouchard's stock is rising like crazy, but defensemen are a crapshoot. Noah Dobson's rising like crazy, but defensemen are a crapshoot. Some people think Bode Wilde is a future top-pairing stud, some people think he's another Erik Gudbranson. Joe Veleno could be the steal of the draft or a crushing disappointment or something in between.

I think its a good thing. It means there's a lot of good players and you can't really screw it up. That's comforting. Although you know that no matter who Holland picks people will hate it.

3 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

I think its a good thing. It means there's a lot of good players and you can't really screw it up. That's comforting. Although you know that no matter who Holland picks people will hate it.

Of course. Everyone has a different opinion, so naturally some people will be happy, and some won't, and that goes with any fan base and every decision their team makes. Some don't care much for the draft, and just put their trust in the organization to make the right selection. Others are draft nerds, and do a ton of research, and would like their team to take specific players based on that research. Some may go over the top when the player they want isn't picked (especially when they're still available), but I guess the emotion is all part of being a die hard fan...

To me, the uncertainty of where everyone after Dahlin could land, along with the depth of this draft, means that some very good players are bound to fall to the middle of the first round. If we don't get a top 2-3 pick, I'm completely okay with picking anywhere from 4-10. If we end up with the 5th overall pick, it would be very smart to try to move back a few spots to pick up another late 1st / early 2nd, and hopefully still get one of the few players you really like in that's range. Either way, I don't think you'll find too many upset Wings fans after Holland (if he's still the GM) makes his selection this year, unless he goes way off the board...

10 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Of course. Everyone has a different opinion, so naturally some people will be happy, and some won't, and that goes with any fan base and every decision their team makes. Some don't care much for the draft, and just put their trust in the organization to make the right selection. Others are draft nerds, and do a ton of research, and would like their team to take specific players based on that research. Some may go over the top when the player they want isn't picked (especially when they're still available), but I guess the emotion is all part of being a die hard fan...

I just wanna point out, when you say research, you mean reading blogs and rankings on the internet. Nobody here is extensively watching footage, or getting pumped information from someone who is. And even if you were watching all the players all the time, I would ask, are you an expert? A scout? A coach? Did you play at a high level? At the end of the day these people are basing their opinions on a blurb some blogger conjured up, and rankings that are a total crap shoot outside of the first few picks. Which is why I find it absolutely bizarre that some people hold these over the top opinions. We know about 1% about these players at this point, but were coming to drastic conclusions based on them.

It's not wrong to have an opinion and to like certain players based on the info out there, I just think it's a bit silly to get worked up about it, because these opinions we're holding are based on very little.

5 minutes ago, Dabura said:

What have you done for me lately, Hakan?

lunapic_129514895144669_4.jpg

3 minutes ago, Dabura said:

I am. Sort of.

15 hours ago, Dabura said:

And yet you know NOTHING

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

28 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I just wanna point out, when you say research, you mean reading blogs and rankings on the internet. Nobody here is extensively watching footage, or getting pumped information from someone who is. And even if you were watching all the players all the time, I would ask, are you an expert? A scout? A coach? Did you play at a high level? At the end of the day these people are basing their opinions on a blurb some blogger conjured up, and rankings that are a total crap shoot outside of the first few picks. Which is why I find it absolutely bizarre that some people hold these over the top opinions. We know about 1% about these players at this point, but were coming to drastic conclusions based on them.

It's not wrong to have an opinion and to like certain players based on the info out there, I just think it's a bit silly to get worked up about it, because these opinions we're holding are based on very little.

We kind of are "getting pumped information" indirectly from people extensively watching footage though. We read scouting reports written by draft analyst (reputable guys like McKenzie and Button, among others) who do get inside information from amateur scouts. It's not like 10+ years ago, when we wouldn't even know anyone's name beyond the top few. There's a TON of information accessible to anyone and everyone. I do agree though, that it is a little silly to get so worked up over your team passing on a player you think they should have taken or taking a player you think they shouldn't have, but that's the fun of being a fan of a sports team. It can be kind of frustrating when your team goes way off the board though, and Holland has done that a few times over the years. 

Also, not a single person here watches players from other teams every night, but we're allowed to have opinions on them. What's the difference? I think Kucherov is a phenomenal player, and I've never watched any extensive footage on him. I've watched every single game he's played against the Wings, and maybe 10 other Lightning games in full (one live), but never have I broke down footage, or zoned in on only him. I base my opinion on small sample sizes, highlights, media, and stats. Pretty much the exact same thing most of us base opinions of these draft eligible players on.

These players are a lot younger and not yet developed, but we can still have opinion and projections based on the information available to us. And like I said before, there's a lot of it out there. I haven't done a ton of research yet on any of these players, but I always do leading up to the draft, usually after the season ends. Do I think I know better than the amateur scouts out there watching all the games? Hell no! But there are always going to be players I hope the Red Wings select.

On 1/17/2018 at 10:15 PM, Buppy said:

Gotta admit, it would be fun to see LW as GM:

Turn over the entire roster 5 times between the draft and training camp, then really start getting to work once the season starts. Before the end of October we'd dress our 200th different player and hire our 14th head coach in 12 games. Record of 0-12-0, outscored 104-1, no team left in GR or Toledo, no talent on the roster, no draft picks for the next decade after so many trades grossly over-paying to acquire players then doing it again to get rid of them after a couple days. 90% of our cap space devoted to fines for violating CBA rules and the rest to buyouts and retained salary...the NHL regretfully announces that the Red Wings have suspended hockey operations indefinitely.

Like watching a plane crash into a train wreck during an avalanche made out of tarantulas with venom that's made out of microscopic dinosaurs that trample all your blood to death.

wrc52.jpg

On 1/17/2018 at 4:56 PM, LeftWinger said:

How about Green to Tampa for a 2nd and Foote, Tatar to Pit for a 1st, Nyquist to Vegas for a 2nd, Howard to Isles for Halak and a 4th, Mrazek to EDM for a 3rd, XO to MTL for a 4th, Ericsson to DAL for a 5th.

That would give us two 1sts, four 2nds, three 3rds, three 4ths, one 5th and two 6ths. That's 15 picks, Foote and Halak along with a ton of cap space for next season.

Someone's been playing NHL 18 a lot lately

12 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Yeah but my point was that there are so many good players available this year that there's no reason to get ur panties in a bunch if Holland doesn't pick who you want. Whoever he picks, I am confident that it will be a solid pick even if its not one of the guys I'm looking at. Unless of course Dahlin is available and he doesn't take him, then I'll lose my shiitake mushrooms.

On 1/19/2018 at 5:16 PM, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Pencil me in for Grigori Denisenko. I like em small n european. 

Said no woman ever.

11 hours ago, DickieDunn said:

wrc52.jpg

Someone's been playing NHL 18 a lot lately

No, you should know that the "NHL" games are full of unrealistic trades that could never happen because they are usually very lopsided in one direction. None of those trades are lopsided nor unrealistic returns.  Just stick to covering the Federal League, the NHL is far too advanced for you.

I know ALL of those trades will not happen, but if any one or few of them did, the return(s) are not unrealistic. Hence, no NHL 18.  BTW, I don't play any of the NHL games, I think the last one my son had was 09 and none prior to that.  The last one I owned and played was 94.

Edited by LeftWinger

Dahlin tops midterm ranking of international skaters for 2018 NHL Draft

"Dahlin is in a class of his own," said Goran Stubb, NHL Director of European Scouting. "Then it's wide open. There are no superstars outside of Dahlin but many good, reliable prospects."

Two other Sweden players are ranked behind Dahlin, defenseman Adam Boqvist of Brynas' team in Sweden's under-20 league, and Lulea center Isac Lundestrom.

Boqvist (5-11, 168), a right-handed shot, currently is on loan from Brynas to Almtuna in Allsvenskan, Sweden's second division. He missed time earlier this season because of a concussion, but is a dynamic talent. He has 19 points (12 goals, seven assists) for Brynas' under-20 team and had one assist and a minus-1 rating in eight games with Brynas in the SHL.

"He has a very good understanding of the game with tremendous on-ice awareness that allows him to move the puck extremely well," Stubb said. "He has a good shot and his overall skills are outstanding. He plays bigger than he is and that has resulted in some injury problems."

Lundestrom (6-0, 185), a left-hand shot, has 10 points (three goals, seven assists), 29 shots on goal, and a plus-2 rating while averaging 16:23 in ice time in 28 games for Lulea. He excelled on a checking line for Sweden at the 2018 WJC, and scored twice in a 3-2 win against Slovakia in the quarterfinals.

"He's a strong skater with a lot of speed, very poised and patient," Stubb said. "He's very responsible in all areas of the ice, is reliable and consistent."

(Worth keeping in mind: Boqvist, born in August of 2000, is on the young side relative to many of his draft class peers.)

Svechnikov tops midterm ranking of North American skaters for NHL Draft

Svechnikov, a 6-foot-2, 186-pound right wing, has 32 points (19 goals, 13 assists), 92 shots on goal and a plus-11 rating in 24 games for Barrie this season. He hasn't missed a beat since returning to the lineup Dec. 8 after missing 17 games because of a hand injury sustained Oct. 14, with 18 points (nine goals, nine assists) in 14 games.

He also had five points, all assists, and four shots on goal in five games as the youngest player for Russia at the 2018 IIHF World Junior Championship in Buffalo.

"Svechnikov has the power game getting the puck through checks and driving to the net," said Dan Marr, director of NHL Central Scouting. "He's able to create and finish scoring chances in a timely manner."

Rounding out the top five in the North American midterm rankings are right wing Filip Zadina of Halifax in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League; left wing Brady Tkachuk of Boston University in Hockey East; defenseman Quintin Hughes of the University of Michigan in the Big 10; and defenseman Evan Bouchard of London (OHL).

"There are strong cases to be made for either Svechnikov or Zadina to be ranked in the No. 1 spot," Marr said. "Both are first-year players who quickly established themselves on their respective teams and in their leagues as impact players capable of influencing the game every time they're on the ice.

"There are more similarities than differences, which is why it's tough at this stage to distinguish a No. 1 or No. 2, but Svechnikov got the slight edge."

Zadina (6-0, 196) has 53 points (27 goals, 26 assists) in 38 games with Halifax. He had eight points and led all 2018 NHL Draft-eligible players with seven goals, including four power-play goals, and 37 shots on goal for the fourth-place Czech Republic at the 2018 WJC.

"Zadina has the quick, skilled game to capitalize on opportunities as well as having an excellent finishing touch," Marr said.

Let's be real: If we don't get the #1 pick and Svechnikov is on the board when we do use our first pick, we're taking Svechnikov. We have his brother in the system, he himself has said he wants to be a Red Wing, he's NHL-ready, and he's probably the safest bet for a future 40-goal scorer in this draft class.

We can debate pros and cons and alternative plans...but there's something to be said for not looking a gift horse in the mouth.