• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

LeftWinger

Official 2018 NHL Amateur Entry Draft Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

7 minutes ago, The Datsyukian Deke said:

If I recall correctly, the Sedins only wound up both in Vancouver, because the Canucks GM insisted to other GMs, that they would only be coming as a package, which wasnt even true because they actually expected to be split up and taken by different teams.

If that was an acting job, it was absolutely great.

Vancouver GM worked magic to get the 2nd and 3rd pick and subsequently draft them together

3 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

I think the drop off from Andrei to Evgeny is pretty significant though. One has the potential to be an elite top line winger. The other will likely be a middle six winger. That's not to say they couldn't play together if we did draft his little brother. I doubt it would ever be like the Sedin's though. Those two are (were) both elite, and they also had the whole identical twin thing as well. I'd like to get Andrei, but I'd probably go with Tkatchuk if I had the choice...

Dahlin and Svechnikov. Rebuild accelerated.

Not Sedin level, but definitely better than - who were the 2 Russians that played in Montreal, one was named Sergei? I would say maybe Staal level or Koivu.

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

7 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Not Sedin level, but definitely better than - who were the 2 Russians that played in Montreal, one was named Sergei? I would say maybe Staal level or Koivu.

Sergei and Andrei Kostitsyn.

I'd say that Eric and Jordan may be the most apt comparison. Eric was an elite top line forward (center) and Jordan was / is a solid middle six forward (center). 

52 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Sergei and Andrei Kostitsyn.

I'd say that Eric and Jordan may be the most apt comparison. Eric was an elite top line forward (center) and Jordan was / is a solid middle six forward (center). 

Agree with this comparison. But for them chemistry really wouldn't have amounted to much because I don't think they played on the same line much, since they were both centers.

I wouldn't put much into weight into potential chemistry between the brothers Svechnikov. The Sedins were twins and played together at every level, I think. Other brothers probably only played road hockey together. Might help to have a close locker room, though.

The Kostitsyns are interesting to bring up because they seemed to be bad influences on each other. They were big partiers and were quite a story here about 10 years ago with pictures with a local crime boss and drug dealer. Doesn't really have to with them being brothers - just that guys being close isn't always necessarily a good thing, haha.

11 minutes ago, kickazz said:

Wouldn’t count out Evgeny Svechnikov from top 6 role yet. He has yet to develop. Having a bad year this year

I'm not counting him out, but I don't think he was ever going to be a top line winger. If he's not a top 2 winger, that would make him a middle six winger. I hope he proves me wrong, but I'm just not that high on Evgeny. Saying this is a bad year is a bit of an understatement though... To think, we could have had Brock Boeser with that pick...

6 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

I want this kid so bad...

This kid is probably what like a 6/10?

Add the acne (which hopefully he'll grow out of) and he's like a 3/10

But then you add the hair and he's back up to like a 5/10. A respectable average score.

Scandinavian hair is just always great. They really got that part right.

Well, since it seems this team has just a bit too much pride to tank for #1, we better start looking between the #7-#14 range and see what is possibly good for the taking.  Here is a Feb.2018 update of the top 15:

1. Rasmus Dahlin, D, six-foot-two, 181 pounds (Frolunda, SHL): Kinda like Muhammad Ali in the day, the undisputed champ.

2. Filip Zadina, RW, six-foot, 196 pounds (Halifax Mooseheads, QMJHL): Started with little room to move, but the snipe show has transcended league play, international play and best-on-best at the Top Prospects game.

3. Andrei Svechnikov, RW, six-foot-two, 186 pounds (Barrie Colts, OHL): Big, strong and powerful — skating is smooth as silk. Game is less dynamic and more pro.

4. Brady Tkachuk, LW, six-foot-three, 196 pounds (Boston University, NCAA): World junior performance carries a lot of weight as do the bloodlines.

5. Adam Boqvist, D, five-foot-11, 168 pounds (Brynas Jr.): Game-changing offensive abilities where the feet and hands work well in concert.

6. Oliver Wahlstrom, RW, six-foot-one, 205 pounds (USNTDP): His shot would play in the NHL today. He has improved his all-around game and ability to utilize teammates.

7. Noah Dobson, D, six-foot-three, 180 pounds (Acadie-Bathurst Titan, QMJHL): His rise from the start of the season to now is reminiscent of Travis Sanheim from the 2014 draft.

8. Evan Bouchard, D, six-foot-two, 193 pounds (London Knights, OHL): Three years ago a few wisemen (Dale and Mark Hunter) claimed Bouchard as one of the smartest young players they had seen in some time. Go figure.

9. Quinn Hughes, D, five-foot-10, 170 pounds (U of Michigan, NCAA): He’s been bypassed by both Dobson and Bouchard, but still remains inside the top 10.

10. Barrett Hayton, C, six-foot-one, 191 pounds (Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds, OHL): As mature a young man as you’ll find, he’s got game that when matched with character makes him an easy pick.

11. Rasmus Kupari, C, six-foot-one, 183 pounds (Karpat, Finnish Liiga): Was incredibly close to going to Sault Ste. Marie after the world juniors and now it looks like important peer viewings will not be garnered in the upcoming Five Nations tournament.

12. Joel Farabee, LW, six-foot, 164 pounds (USNTDP): Highly skilled forward who presents the dual threat as his hockey IQ makes him equally as dangerous a playmaker as he is a shooter.

13. Isac Lundestrom, C, six-foot, 185 pounds (Lulea, SHL): Excellent speed and versatility with attention to detail in his game make him a solid pick.

14. Joe Veleno, C, six-foot-one, 195 pounds (Drummondville, QMJHL): The weight of the draft and taking on more than he could chew in Saint John stymied the production. The real Joe Veleno is emerging daily in Drummondville.

15. Mattias Samuelsson, D, six-foot-four, 217 pounds (USNTDP): Think Cal Foote from the 2017 draft. Not flashy — just gets the job done.

As it sits, if we're drafting around 9 or 10, and we're still thinking D, I might be taking a gamble on Samuelsson.  He has skyrocketed from a 2nd round pick to #15? Heck, he may even be gone by time we pick when its all said and done.

Here is a guy a really hoped we could snag with our early 2nd round pick from OTT via NYR. But he now ranks at #20. Maybe if we're thinking forward, and this kid continues to rise a bit, I'd take a shot at him Or if we can wrangle a 1st out of playoff team at this TDL.

20. Serron Noel, RW, six-foot-five, 200 pounds (Oshawa Generals, OHL): At the start of the year he looked more like a project, but the player he can become is starting to come into focus.

Edited by LeftWinger