• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

LeftWinger

Official 2018 NHL Amateur Entry Draft Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

I met a scout for VGK (amateur scout) and he stated after the top 10 it’s pretty shallow. That’s why they weren’t opposed to trading their 1st this year.  I also asked him where they had Rasmussen on their board, which he replied around 5. He thinks Big Ras (which is how he referred to him) will be a good nhl player. They are going to try to load up on 2019 picks because he claims it’s a much better draft.

Edited by BringBack19
On a plane trying to post prior to take off so grammar suffered

If Ottawa gets the#1 pick, their Karlsson problems will be solved.  He will probably re-sign and finish his career there.

Here's a scenario/question for you. Ottawa gets the #1 and wants to package it and Karlsson together, what is your offer?

Mantha, Ras and every remaining 2018 pick? Would that be enough?

Edited by LeftWinger

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

If Ottawa gets the#1 pick, their Karlsson problems will be solved.  He will probably re-sign and finish his career there.

Here's a scenario/question for you. Ottawa gets the #1 and wants to package it and Karlsson together, what is your offer?

Mantha, Ras and every remaining 2018 pick? Would that be enough?

I'm not sure if you're serious, but I'm going to assume you are and say no, not even close... There is literally no package we could put together that would get this deal done, nor would it be worth it. Okay, maybe we could package Larkin, Mantha, Rasmussen, Cholowski, Hronek, 2 of our 2018 1st's, 2019 1st and 2nd, and they might listen...

Whoever wins the lottery is not even considering moving that pick under no circumstances.

Here was my first run today at Tankathon.  I think if we didn't get the #1, I could live with this scenario:

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 4:29 PM, LeftWinger said:

Ugh, nevermind, they don't have one of their own picks until the 4th round...

Their #1 that Pitt currently owns IS lottery protected if they fall 1-10. Which is a relief, because all the worst case scenario's we can think of would be destroyed by the scenario that Pitt Three-Peats and then OTT wins #1 and Pitt gets to draft to Dahlin! NIGHTMARE!!

Edited by LeftWinger

right now we sit #5! ONLY 7 points out of #1!  Lets lose the rest of our games!, even if we don't get #1, we'll have awesome picks in the later rounds! They'd all belike picking in the late round before it!

All this talk about Dahlin being generational, what do we know about Boqvist? I see a lot of mocks having us draft him in the top 5 if we don't win #1. Could he make the team out of his first camp or is the only one making our team next fall Dahlin?

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

right now we sit #5! ONLY 7 points out of #1!  Lets lose the rest of our games!, even if we don't get #1, we'll have awesome picks in the later rounds! They'd all belike picking in the late round before it!

All this talk about Dahlin being generational, what do we know about Boqvist? I see a lot of mocks having us draft him in the top 5 if we don't win #1. Could he make the team out of his first camp or is the only one making our team next fall Dahlin?

We have a chance to bottom out or be bottom 3, without losing the rest of our games. We have a difficult stretch over the next couple weeks, but a relatively easy finish to the season. I think we'll be in pretty good shape going into the draft lottery.

If we finish dead last, it improves our odds for the first round, but don't kid yourself into thinking there's any real difference in a 5 pick spread in rounds 2 through 7. Sure, I'd rather pick 32 over pick 36, but it's really not much of a difference, and even less beyond the 2nd round. There are so many teams going "off the board" with picks in the later rounds that it doesn't really make much of a difference. 

I've been on board the "tank" for a while now, because I want to improve our lottery odds, but in reality, I believe that a certain position in the standings is destined to win the lottery, not a certain team. A certain number of balls are going in for each position in the standings, and the same balls are going to be drawn in the same order, no matter where the teams finish in the standings, or what logo is on each ball. Let's say the number one pick goes to the 27th ranked team (which we are now), that ball is going to be drawn whether it has a Red Wings logo on it, or any other team.

Just look at 50/50 draws at sporting events. Dylan and Anthony buy 5 tickets each. Dylan happens to buy tickets 123451-123455 and Anthony ends up with tickets 123456-123460. The winning ticket is 123459. Anthony wins the draw. Do you think he was destined to win that night, no matter when or where he bought his 5 tickets? Or do you think ticket number 123459 was destined to win, no matter who bought the ticket? I believe the latter. It's all about being a top the right place a top the right time. The same applies to the draft lottery. It's a complete crapshoot, as the Flyers proved last year. Maybe we're better off losing out, maybe we're better off playing .500 hockey, or maybe we're better off going on a huge run. No one will know until after the balls are drawn next month...

Speaking of the Flyers, as everyone knows, they moved up to 2nd overall pick last year with the 12th best odds. They finished the season with 88 points. The Jets and Hurricanes finished the season one point behind with 87 points each, and the Kings finished with 86 points (held the tie breaker ROW). If the Flyers lost one more game that season, or if the Jets, Hurricanes or Kings won one more game, Nolan Patrick would have been wearing a different jersey this year. My point is, tanking isn't a great strategy (despite me wanting to lose games...), and it can bite you in the ass, so be careful what you wish for...

Wings won't finish dead last. I predict 3rd from bottom. I also believe they will draft no worse than 3rd. If they get 1st or 2nd, I am happy either way. If they get the 3rd pick, throw in VGK's 1st rounder and another piece to move up to #2 since everyone knows elder Svech brother is already here. Heck, I would throw in Evgeny in a trade to move up and draft Andrei.

32 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Wings won't finish dead last. I predict 3rd from bottom. I also believe they will draft no worse than 3rd. If they get 1st or 2nd, I am happy either way. If they get the 3rd pick, throw in VGK's 1st rounder and another piece to move up to #2 since everyone knows elder Svech brother is already here. Heck, I would throw in Evgeny in a trade to move up and draft Andrei.

I'm not saying that would be a bad trade, because it wouldn't, but it would be a dumb (dick move) trade, that this organization would never make. The reason Andrei wants to be drafted by Detroit is because he wants to play with Evgeny. Imagine how much that would piss him off, to hear the Wings are drafting him, but his brother is being dealt to make it happen...

There’s also no guarantee that Svech goes second overall. It’s possible, sure, but I’d rather just stay at 3rd if we have it and hope Svech drops (if that’s who we want come draft time) rather than give up a pretty solid asset or two to move up one spot. 

On 3/14/2018 at 8:50 PM, krsmith17 said:

I'm not saying that would be a bad trade, because it wouldn't, but it would be a dumb (dick move) trade, that this organization would never make. The reason Andrei wants to be drafted by Detroit is because he wants to play with Evgeny. Imagine how much that would piss him off, to hear the Wings are drafting him, but his brother is being dealt to make it happen...

If Dahlin is off the board, and whoever else is sitting at #2 calls me and says they're taking Andrei Svechnikov, but they're willing to trade that pick to me for the #3 and Evgeni - I am absolutely doing that. I wouldn't even hesitate. He'll get over it. I wouldn't turn down that trade just to avoid hurting someone's feelings.

Not to mention that it would be a lot easier to re-acquire Evgeni later than it would be to acquire Andrei at all.

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

1 hour ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

If Dahlin is off the board, and whoever else is sitting at #2 calls me and says they're taking Andrei Svechnikov, but they're willing to trade that pick to me for the #3 and Evgeni - I am absolutely doing that. I wouldn't even hesitate. He'll get over it. I wouldn't turn down that trade just to avoid hurting someone's feelings.

Not to mention that it would be a lot easier to re-acquire Evgeni later than it would be to acquire Andrei at all.

If the team picking at 2 truly did want Andrei, they wouldn't trade the pick for Evgeny... And from our perspective, why would we trade up for Svechnikov when he's not even the consensus number 2 pick? There's not a significant differece between Svechnikov and Zadina and some scouts even have Zadina ranked higher. I think the biggest draw from the Red Wings perspective (at least the fans) in drafting Svech is having the brothers play together. Like I said, it's not a bad trade, but I wouldn't make it, and I don't think the Red Wings would either.

The only way I'm trading up in this draft is if it's for Dahlin, and no one is trading that pick. Otherwise, I'd rather trade back. If we're picking 4 or 5, I'd be open to trading back a few spots, depending on the return.

4 hours ago, DickieDunn said:

Hughes looks like the prototypical Holland pick.  Undersized offensive d-man and he's playing at Michigan.  If they don't get Dahlin or Svechnikov I think they get him.

I agree, but if we're picking at 2 or 3, I'd hate that pick. Even if we're picking at, 6 or 7, I wouldn't really like that pick. This is a huge draft for this organization. They need to hit a grand slam with this top pick, and another homerun or two with their five other picks in the first three rounds...

If we don't have Dahlin I would go with Tkachuk with our top pick. You never have enough quality C and same can be said for D... 

With the Vegas pick we pick D (Woo/Samuelsson) and/or we trade up (we have 2 high 2nd draft pick) and go after Wilde.

Edited by Dominator2005

On 3/17/2018 at 3:26 AM, DickieDunn said:

Hughes looks like the prototypical Holland pick.  Undersized offensive d-man and he's playing at Michigan.  If they don't get Dahlin or Svechnikov I think they get him.

Let's be fair: Mantha, Larkin, Svechnikov, Cholowski, Rasmussen isn't a group that screams "We're gonna use our first pick on an undersized defenseman who's playing at Michigan, because of course we are."

I'm guessing Tkachuk and Boqvist are ahead of Hughes on our preferences chart. Possibly also Zadina, Bouchard, Dobson, et al.

I'm sure The Powers That Be have done their homework and know what's at stake. Draper has said this organization needs to hit some home runs in the drafting department.

On 2018-03-17 at 4:26 AM, DickieDunn said:

I'm physically ill at thought of drafting an undersized "Michigan kid" in such an important draft.  

3 hours ago, Dabura said:

Let's be fair: Mantha, Larkin, Svechnikov, Cholowski, Rasmussen isn't a group that screams "We're gonna use our first pick on an undersized defenseman who's playing at Michigan, because of course we are."

I'm guessing Tkachuk and Boqvist are ahead of Hughes on our preferences chart. Possibly also Zadina, Bouchard, Dobson, et al.

I'm sure The Powers That Be have done their homework and know what's at stake. Draper has said this organization needs to hit some home runs in the drafting department.

Big forwards, little d-men, and if a kid plays NCAA hockey especially at Michigan that gives him bonus.  Larkin was U-M, Cholo is a small D, Mantha, Svechnikov, and Rasmussen are big.  If Huhes is there and Dahlin and Svechnikov pt. @ are gone, I think they take him

On 3/17/2018 at 8:21 AM, krsmith17 said:

I agree, but if we're picking at 2 or 3, I'd hate that pick. Even if we're picking at, 6 or 7, I wouldn't really like that pick. This is a huge draft for this organization. They need to hit a grand slam with this top pick, and another homerun or two with their five other picks in the first three rounds...

I didn't say I'd like it, I said it's a Holland pick.  No way I'd take Hughes unless he was clearly better than others, or only small d-men were left without reaching.

1 hour ago, DickieDunn said:

Big forwards, little d-men, and if a kid plays NCAA hockey especially at Michigan that gives him bonus.  Larkin was U-M, Cholo is a small D, Mantha, Svechnikov, and Rasmussen are big.  If Huhes is there and Dahlin and Svechnikov pt. @ are gone, I think they take him

I didn't say I'd like it, I said it's a Holland pick.  No way I'd take Hughes unless he was clearly better than others, or only small d-men were left without reaching.

Cholowski isn't that small and was in the middle of  a major growth spurt...

1:20 onward

1 hour ago, DickieDunn said:

I wouldn't say 6'0", 194 lbs. is small. Not big, but not small either. Granted, I think he was 160 soaking wet when he was drafted.

I didn't say you said you'd like it...

Edited by krsmith17