• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

LeftWinger

Official 2018 NHL Amateur Entry Draft Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

On 3/16/2018 at 11:55 PM, krsmith17 said:

If the team picking at 2 truly did want Andrei, they wouldn't trade the pick for Evgeny... And from our perspective, why would we trade up for Svechnikov when he's not even the consensus number 2 pick? There's not a significant differece between Svechnikov and Zadina and some scouts even have Zadina ranked higher. I think the biggest draw from the Red Wings perspective (at least the fans) in drafting Svech is having the brothers play together. Like I said, it's not a bad trade, but I wouldn't make it, and I don't think the Red Wings would either.

The only way I'm trading up in this draft is if it's for Dahlin, and no one is trading that pick. Otherwise, I'd rather trade back. If we're picking 4 or 5, I'd be open to trading back a few spots, depending on the return.

Maybe the better question is, if we aren't in a position to draft A. Svechnikov... would the team that does draft him have interest in E. Svechnikov?  If so, what could we get for him?  A prospect and their 2018 2nd rounder?  A 2019 1st?

Ok, I'm watching a tv show I haven't watched in about 2 years (Club Poker)....one of the people on it has a last name of Dahlstrom. A nice mix of Dahlin and Lidstrom, it has to be a sign, yes?

No? Reaching a bit? I don't care, it's a sign! #1 overall and Lids is going to announce the pick! Dahlstrom!

The guy I wanted with our Vegas pick, Noel,  is showing #16 in this March Craigs List, so I can pretty much give up on getting him.

With the obvious #1 being Dahlin, if we got a 2-5, I'd go with Bouchard, then with out next 1st and two 2nds I'd attempt to get (if available) ; Mattias Samuelsson, Ryan McLeod, Joe Veleno. 

Edited by LeftWinger

11 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

This is the guy if we aren't drafting #1 in Dahlin. I may even consider him at #2 if we get #2.

I wouldn't pick him at 2, but I'd definitely consider him anywhere outside of the top 3.

Interesting to see Tkatchuk ahead of Svechnikov and Zadina on Craig's List... He also has Veleno at 27. I highly doubt he drops that low, but if he does, I'd be more than happy to snag him with our Vegas pick.

On 3/18/2018 at 4:39 PM, DickieDunn said:

Big forwards, little d-men, and if a kid plays NCAA hockey especially at Michigan that gives him bonus.  Larkin was U-M, Cholo is a small D, Mantha, Svechnikov, and Rasmussen are big.  If Huhes is there and Dahlin and Svechnikov pt. @ are gone, I think they take him

As krsmith noted, Cholowski doesn't necessarily count as a "little" defenseman. And that's one defenseman out of our last five top picks. Granted, all of our top D prospects are under 6'2" (if you don't count Gustav Lindstrom or Kasper Kotkansalo or Jordan Sambrook or Malte Setkov or Patrick Holway), but I don't think that points to Hughes being #3 on our list of preferences. I do feel the organization has misguidedly fetishized the whole MICHIGAN TIES!! thing in recent years, but I doubt Hughes being a Wolverine means a whole lot to our draft crew.

The Wings have basically committed to a rebuild, but they want the rebuild to be as short as humanly possible. That being the case, I'm not expecting any cute (i.e. high-risk, self-indulgent, "gut feeling") selections in this draft. At least, not in the first two or three rounds. If we're picking in the 3-6 range, I doubt we take Hughes.

But that's just my take. I could be totally wrong.

I am crossing my fingers that we get Dahlin, but my guttells me that we are getting Svechnikov or maybe Bouchard.

I could see Wings management being high on Svechnikov because taking him top 4 is not by any stretch reaching, and what better way to get his brother going. You have to think these kids would want to play together, and will be 100% motivated to be the Sedin's of Detroit. Now I don't think Evgeni is at that level, but what better way to attempt to get him there. 

We just need so much. But I think it all starts on the blueline. If we cannot get Dahlin, we must draft the next best D. Whether that's Boqvist, Bouchard or Hughes is for them to figure out.  But Bouchard fits the bill a little more than Hughes or Boqvist I think.  Is lil Svech a sure thing, even more so a sure thing to get his brother going? If you need your baby bother to get you going in your job, maybe you need to re-evaluate how you are approaching it.  Of course, once "no plan" Blashill is gone, and we get a total new philosophy in here, all our kids may explode.  I am very disappointed in how he has played AA since this losing streak has started.  Sure, he may be a natural center, but he is more effective in the top 6, not a bottom 6 center.  Put him back on the Wing with Frk and Larkin. Also, Nyquist, once again, is proving that he does not belong in our top 6, yet Blashill keeps putting him there along with Helm and Abby. It's frustrating.

Anyhow, back on subject, I think we should go D no matter what with our 1st. Vegas' 1st is a toss up, all depends on who's there. M. Samuelsson, McLeod, Veleno. I'd use that pick on any one of those 3 guys. We are getting 2 top 5-6 2nds as well, so we are going to have some very good players to choose from between Vegas' pick, OTT's and ours in the 2nd. Then with THREE 3rds, we are going to have ourselves a very nice draft.  As long as Holland stays away from experimental picks in these three rounds.  I am fine with long shots or projects between 4-7, much like Liam Kirk. I'd happily bring him here with a 6th or 7th round pick.  He is going to be a sleeper whoever selects him.

Hughes looks great in the NCAA tournament so far. His skating is elite. Very good at accelerating out of turns and from a standstill. Not sure I would grab him in the top 5 but if we end up falling out of the top 5 I would not be upset with this pick at all.

3 hours ago, BinMucker94 said:

Hughes looks great in the NCAA tournament so far. His skating is elite. Very good at accelerating out of turns and from a standstill. Not sure I would grab him in the top 5 but if we end up falling out of the top 5 I would not be upset with this pick at all.

Yeah he looks a lot closer to NHL ready than expected. The tournament has got to be raising his stock. Also this :P 

Dahlin will be the first Dman to go #1 since Ekblad in 2014. Ekblad was the first Damn to go #1 overall since Erik Johnson in 2006.

I just want to point out how Dmen rarely dominate enough to go #1 overall, so when they do you should definitely take notice. And this kid is way more hyped than Ekblad or Johnson ever were. Were talking about something similar to McDavid. Maybe not a top 5 best ever player, but definitely good enough to build a franchise around. No way you even consider giving that up for multiple lesser pieces.

Sportsnet March Rankings

1. Rasmus Dahlin, D, 6-foot-2, 181 pounds (Frolunda, SHL): Erik Karlsson, Victor Hedman and now Dahlin. Are you ready for the next franchise-changing defenceman from Sweden?

2. Filip Zadina, RW, 6-foot-1, 196 pounds (Halifax Mooseheads, QMJHL): The Mooseheads’ import factory strikes again and sends a high-end sniper to the top of the NHL draft.

3. Andrei Svechnikov, RW, 6-foot-2, 186 pounds (Barrie Colts, OHL): Led all scorers at the Five Nations tournament and has put up points at a torrid pace with the Barrie Colts since the world juniors (38 in 22 games).

4. Brady Tkachuk, LW, 6-foot-3, 196 pounds (Boston University, NCAA): Better than older brother Matthew?

5. Adam Boqvist, D, 5-foot-11, 170 pounds (Almtuna IS, Allsvenskan): A fantastic skater and playmaker who isn’t afraid to shoot. If you don’t end up with Dahlin, getting Boqvist is more than just a consolation prize.

6. Noah Dobson, D, 6-foot-3, 180 pounds (Acadie-Bathurst Titan, QMJHL): The secret is out, this righthand shot blueliner is legit.

7. Oliver Wahlstrom, RW, 6-foot-1, 205 pounds (USNTDP): Eight points at the Five Nations (tied with tourney leader Svechnikov) and a solid spot on the U.S U18 top line, Wahlstrom continues to produce big in his draft year.

8. Evan Bouchard, D, 6-foot-2, 193 pounds (London Knights, OHL): Despite his Knights trading away most of their vets, Bouchard has continued to excel in all areas. February’s defenceman of the month in the OHL is also a natural leader.

9. Quinn Hughes, D, 5-foot-10, 174 pounds (U of Michigan, NCAA): One of the most creative players in the draft. An outstanding skater who can create even in the most challenging situations.

10. Isac Lundestrom, C, 6-foot, 185 pounds (Lulea, SHL): As one scout told me “he’s the Swedish Patrice Bergeron.” A lofty compliment, but the comparisons are there.

11. Barrett Hayton, C, 6-foot-1, 191 pounds (Sault Ste Marie Greyhounds, OHL): Extremely focussed and hard-working, Hayton is the “all-in” guy every team loves to have. Nursing a small injury and the ‘Hounds are being careful with him.

12. Joel Farabee, LW, 6-feet, 164 pounds (USNTDP): Hard-working, skilled playmaker who is magical with the puck on his stick.

13. Bode Wilde, D, 6-foot-3, 195 pounds (USNTDP): Offensive defenceman who plays physical. Leads all USNTDP blueliners with 32 points. Hard wrist and slap shot from the point.

14. Joe Veleno, C, 6-foot-1, 195 pounds (Drummondville Voltigeurs, QMJHL): Has excelled since the trade from Saint John to Drummondville where he’s being coached by the excellent Dominique Ducharme.

15. Grigori Denisenko, LW, 5-foot-11, 176 pounds (Yaroslavl Jr.): Great passer who also boasts a good shot. Played on the top line with Andrei Svechnikov and Alexander Khovanov for Russia at the Five Nations tourney.

16. Ty Smith, D, 5-foot-11, 176 pounds (Spokane Chiefs, WHL): Speed and smarts, those are the calling cards of the first overall pick in the 2015 WHL draft.

17. Rasmus Kupari, C, 6-foot-1, 183 pounds (Hermes, Mestis Finland): Not the biggest guy on the ice by any stretch, but can create and finish. And does it all with great bursts of speed.

18. Jesperi Kotkaniemi, C, 6-foot-2, 190 pounds (Assat, Finnish Liiga): Physically he has everything you want – skill, speed, size and he keeps improving.

19. Jet Woo, D, 5-foot-11, 205 pounds (Moose Jaw Warriors, WHL): Has more than a bit of ‘old school’ in his game and isn’t afraid to throw the body around.

20. Rasmus Sandin, D, 5-foot-11, 190 pounds (Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds, OHL): Even with the Conor Timmins (COL) injury the ‘Hounds have not skipped a beat on the blue line mainly due to Sandin’s work. Plays tough minutes in all situations.

21. Jared McIsaac, D, 6-foot-1, 195 pounds (Halifax Mooseheads, QMJHL): Good skater with offensive instincts and has just enough bite in his game to keep players honest.

22. Serron Noel, RW, 6-foot-5, 201 pounds (Oshawa Generals, OHL): Skilled yet raw power forward who keeps getting better and better.

23. Ryan McLeod, C, 6-foot-2, 200 pounds (Mississauga Steelheads, OHL): A slippery and skilled centre, McLeod has high-end vision. As one OHL GM told me “where his brother Michael (NJ) smashes down the front door to score, Ryan sneaks in through the side.”

24. Alexander Khovanov, C, 5-foot-11, 179 pounds (Moncton Wildcats, QMJHL): Great puck distributor with excellent vision.

25. Jacob Olofsson, C, 6-foot-1, 192 pounds (Timra, Allsvenskan): A reliable two-way centre who almost made the Swedish WJC team. Plays a lot with Canucks prospect Jonathan Dahlen.

26. Ryan Merkley, D, 5-foot-11, 170 pounds (Guelph Storm, OHL): Has top 5 skill without a doubt and can complete plays other blueliners only dream about, but other areas of his game have scouts concerned.

27. Benoit Olivier-Groulx, C, 6-foot-1, 192 pounds (Halifax Mooseheads, QMJHL): No surprise he’s a coach’s dream as a player since his father Benoit is one of the best CHL bench bosses of this generation.

28. Dominik Bokk, LW, 6-foot-1, 180 pounds (Vaxjo, SHL): Another great hockey story for Germany in 2018.

29. Akil Thomas, C, 5-foot-11, 170 pounds (Niagara IceDogs, OHL): Huge ceiling here that Thomas is only now starting to scratch.

30. K’Andre Miller, D, 6-foot-3, 206 pounds (USNTDP): Was outstanding and probably the top U.S defenceman at the U18 Five Nations. Great skating blueliner who isn’t shy about joining the rush.

31. Mattias Samuelsson, D, 6-foot-4, 217 pounds (USNTDP): Big, strong, and safe defenceman. Son of former NHLer Kjell Samuelsson.

With this updated list, if we DON'T get #1, but still top 5, I don't think it matters Zadina, Svech, Tkachuk, Dobson, Boqvist, I think this is about a legit top 10 draft we've had in a long time! I think we'd be golden with any of them if we fall down the list! Then with VEG's pick (if its in the late 20's) I go with K'Andre Miller. If it's more near lates teens, I go with Serron Noel. We'll also have top HIGH 2nds that we could snag some actual late 1st round talent! Only Ken Holland could screw this up, lets hope he doesn't!

2 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

With this updated list, if we DON'T get #1, but still top 5, I don't think it matters Zadina, Svech, Tkachuk, Dobson, Boqvist, I think this is about a legit top 10 draft we've had in a long time! I think we'd be golden with any of them if we fall down the list!

Right, this is where I was coming from before. We want a top three pick, obviously, and it'll suck if we don't get one -- but this is going to be a really good top ten where the players that are taken in the 4-8(+) range will be better than your average consolation prizes. Even if we pick, say, 8th, there's a good chance we're getting a player who could've cracked the top three in last year's draft. Hell, I'm not as high on Oliver Wahlstrom as most people seem to be, but he'd be a huge addition to our thoroughly underwhelming prospect pool.

To quote Kris Draper: "This is a great draft."

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2018/02/10/detroit-red-wings-kris-draper/323124002/

And there's nothing to say Vegas won't crash out of the playoffs, causing their pick to become a mid-1st. Which would be all kinds of great.

Evan Bouchard + Bode Wilde/Joe Veleno/Rasmus Kupari? That'd be an outstanding 1st round for any organization.

ran the lottery mock draft simulator on capfriendly.com and it freaking took me 37 tries to get Detroit #1.  Meanwhile there were multiple wins by Chicago, Florida, Philly, Rangers, Sens, and Islanders. ugh!

Anyhow, not including our first rounder since we have no clue as to where we'll pick, I did a mock as the Red Wings and the later picks (1st and 2 2nds) I wound up #27 - Evan Bouchard, #33 - K'Andre Miller and #37 - Riley Sutter.

I seen a mock on one of those sites (I forgot which one, sorry, there are SO many) that had us staying at 6th. Our picks in the first two rounds were:

1st:

Quin Hughes

Dominik Bokk

2nd

K'Andre Miller

Jet Woo

40 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

ran the lottery mock draft simulator on capfriendly.com and it freaking took me 37 tries to get Detroit #1.  Meanwhile there were multiple wins by Chicago, Florida, Philly, Rangers, Sens, and Islanders. ugh!

Anyhow, not including our first rounder since we have no clue as to where we'll pick, I did a mock as the Red Wings and the later picks (1st and 2 2nds) I wound up #27 - Evan Bouchard, #33 - K'Andre Miller and #37 - Riley Sutter.

I seen a mock on one of those sites (I forgot which one, sorry, there are SO many) that had us staying at 6th. Our picks in the first two rounds were:

1st:

Quin Hughes

Dominik Bokk

2nd

K'Andre Miller

Jet Woo

Bouchard at 27? That must be a mistake... 

https://www.nhl.com/news/rasmus-dahlin-draws-nhl-comparisons-to-victor-hedman/c-297657256

The more I see and hear about Bouchard, the more I want us to take him with our first pick. Being compared to Pietrangelo, who has been one of my favorite non-Wing players for quite some time. Yes please!

Obviously the prize is Dahlin, but if we don't win the lottery, Bouchard is the player I'd be gunning for. I'd probably still take Svechnikov if we move up to 2, but I'd consider trading back in that spot. If we move up to 3, I'd move back a couple spots to take Bouchard, which would also give us another late 1st / early 2nd.

2 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

https://www.nhl.com/news/rasmus-dahlin-draws-nhl-comparisons-to-victor-hedman/c-297657256

The more I see and hear about Bouchard, the more I want us to take him with our first pick. Being compared to Pietrangelo, who has been one of my favorite non-Wing players for quite some time. Yes please!

Obviously the prize is Dahlin, but if we don't win the lottery, Bouchard is the player I'd be gunning for. I'd probably still take Svechnikov if we move up to 2, but I'd consider trading back in that spot. If we move up to 3, I'd move back a couple spots to take Bouchard, which would also give us another late 1st / early 2nd.

Of all the non-Dahlin consensus top defensemen in this class, Bouchard could be the safest bet for a future top-pairing guy. Dunno if he'll be as good as Pietrangelo, but I think it's a decent comparison; Bouchard doesn't necessarily wow you with any one facet of his game, but he does everything at a high level and can play in every situation and can log big minutes and can drive a team's offense while also being accountable on the defensive side of the puck. Big body, very smart, very skilled, cool as a cucumber at all times, great skater, natural PP QB, great first pass, great shot from the point, seems to be emerging as a natural leader...just an all-around excellent prospect. He's a guy who just gets the job done.

I love Boqvist for his legitimately Karlsson-esque raw talent and his creativity and I love Hughes for his skating and playmaking ability, but Bouchard is probably a safer pick. Certainly we have a glaring need for a minute-munching, all-situations, top-pairing enginer-driver type, arguably more than an electric offensive defenseman with a smallish frame and an unpolished defensive game.

Edited by Dabura

Cholowski - Bouchard could be a solid future top pairing.

If we happen to move up to 3rd overall, I'd like to see us trade back a couple spots for Bouchard. Then package our Vegas pick and the pick we acquired to move back, to move up to the middle of the 1st to take Veleno. Outside of getting Dahlin or Svechnikov, that would be my ideal 1st round...

1 minute ago, krsmith17 said:

Cholowski - Bouchard could be a solid future top pairing.

If we happen to move up to 3rd overall, I'd like to see us trade back a couple spots for Bouchard. Then package our Vegas pick and the pick we acquired to move back, to move up to the middle of the 1st to take Veleno. Outside of getting Dahlin or Svechnikov, that would be my ideal 1st round...

I agree with moving down if we land at 3rd, assuming 1) Svechnikov has been taken and 2) we know Bouchard will slide to the spot we're trading down to.

Bouchard + Veleno would be fantastic. There's a whole cluster of guys I'd be really happing getting in the middle of the 1st round or towards the end of it.

Rangers have three 1sts...

http://www.mynhldraft.com/NHL-Mock-Draft/

They're aggressively trying to pull off a quick rebuild (gave up Stepan in order to move up in last year's draft). They could be a good trade partner, depending on where the cards fall.