• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

LeftWinger

Official 2018 NHL Amateur Entry Draft Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

4 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Penguins seem to make it work. But I get your point.

Ya, I didn't think of them, but I try not to think too much about the Penguins. :lol: 

Veleno would be a great addition, man there is so much to choose from! Can we somehow get 17 1st rounder's?

We're all hoping to get one of those top 2 picks on the 28th, but if we end up with the 3rd pick, I'd definitely shop it to a team in the 5-8 range. If we could get Bouchard with that top pick and trade up to also get Wahlstrom, that would be an amazing first round for us. And we'd still have another one or two picks in the 2nd round to hopefully get another big player. 

2 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Penguins seem to make it work. But I get your point.

Larkin / Veleno also wouldn't be close to the calibre of Crosby / Malkin... A ton of teams have two top centers as good or better than what Larkin / Veleno project to be.

We need a number one defenseman, a top 2 center and a couple high end right handed wingers added to the prospect pool. If we could get 2 of those 4 pieces, we'll be well on our way to rebuilding this team. This is a HUGE draft for this organization. Hopefully we get lucky in the lottery and on draft day...

On the spot time. You're Holland, you're drafting a D with your first pick. With the obvious #1 being Dahlin, what is your order preference after that?

For me, because of our need of a RH puck mover first:

Dobson

Bouchard 

Boqvist

Hughes

Really though, they're all elite and IMO can ALL challenge for an open spot this season. Trade XO, do not re-sign Green, that leaves two spots to vie for. If Hicketts is going to be a 6/7, with Jensen or injury replacement, we need to give our draft pick every chance to win a spot in the top 5.

On the O side, it seems Zadina has passed Svechling into the #2 spot, but because of his local ties I'll say if we're going O, Svechling would be Holland's 1st choice, after that:

Zadina

Tkachuk

Farabee

Wahlstrom

Hayton

Looking further down with our 3 more picks, a ranking I saw had Noel at 22, Miller at 30 and Samuelsson at 31. If they inched down a wee bit, we could haul in a draft that could rank 2nd behind 1989.

Edited by LeftWinger

8 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

On the O side, it seems Zadina has passed Svechling into the #2 spot

For some people, yes, but I think they're in the minority. Svechnikov is generally considered the top forward in this draft class. For all of the HYPE! around Zadina, Svechnikov quietly obliterated the OHL this season.

Edited by Dabura

On 4/17/2018 at 6:00 PM, LeftWinger said:

Thing is, Larkin is our future #1 Center (if not already) Sure Veleno would be a great pick up, but would we be squandering one of them on the 2nd line? They both cannot be #1 C's...

The way I see it, we need everything. Or, put another way: there isn't anything we don't need. All positions are open. We are hiring.

Larkin and Mantha are looking like they could be real stars, but we don't know that they're going to be the elite 1C and elite scoring winger that we would ideally like to have in our quest for the Cup. I'm all about the huge step Larkin took this season, but at this point in time there's no guarantee that he doesn't ultimately top out as sort of a Matt Duchene/Kyle Turris, i.e. a serviceable 1C who you'd ideally like to have slotted behind a powerhouse 1C. And if you can't find the powerhouse 1C, you'd like to at least have a couple of those Duchene-Turrises, e.g. Nashville's current two top-six centermen (Johansen and Turris, neither of whom put up especially great numbers this season).

But I digress...

We're rebuilding. The more picks we have in the next few drafts, the more likely we are to get some really high-end prospects. The more high-end prospects we have, the more likely we are to end up with some elite NHLers. The more elite NHLers we have, the more capable we are of winning the Cup, at least in theory. So, I wouldn't worry about Veleno being overqualified for a 2C role. That would be a good problem to have. The bigger, more immediate concern right now is that we only have one young high-end centerman on the roster (Larkin) and one high-end centerman in the pipeline (Rasmussen). The Wings would be foolish to assume that having Larkin and Rasmussen means they're set at center.

On 4/17/2018 at 6:00 PM, LeftWinger said:

Personally, If I am not getting Dahlin, then if we trade AA, VEG's pick and a 2nd to get another top 10-12 pick, I am taking another D.  Lets say I get Hughes with our pick, then trade up to #9 and Bouchard or Boqvist is still there, I am taking one of them. I know we need a lot of things, but man if we could score BOTH Hughes Bouchard, my goodness!  Hell even if we got Dahlin, making a deal for another top10-12 is not a bad idea either. Could you imagine Dahlin AND Hughes for example? Nice!

IMO, my hypothetical trade-up proposal only gets accepted if our trade partner isn't wild about the available names and believes AA + Vegas's 1st + early 2nd is collectively more valuable than the player he could get with his 9th/10th/11th/12th overall pick. If Hughes or Bouchard or Boqvist is available, we're not getting that pick. But if those guys are gone and Veleno is looking like the best name left on the board? Then we might have a shot.

But we don't know what any organization's preference chart looks like. So I dunno.

On 4/17/2018 at 6:17 PM, LeftWinger said:

Basically what we are all trying to say is this top 10 is so good, we really can't go wrong!

:lol: The only way Holland can screw this up is if he gets #1 and doesn't draft Dahlin!

Yep! :w00t2:

Edited by Dabura

1 hour ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Dude. What has gotten into you today. First its PULITZER Peace Prize and now its 5 forwards listed as D. :wacko:

The PPP was intentional. This one was a shameful mistake..

OR MAYBE I'M JUST PLAYING MIND GAMES. DID YOU EVER CONSIDER THAT???

So worst case scenario: We drop to 8th. Dahlin, Svech, Zadina, and all 4 of the 2nd-tier D off the board. What do you do?

Tkachuk? Wahlstrom? Veleno? Next-best D in Ty Smith? Curse the hockey gods and start watching cricket?

42 minutes ago, Dabura said:

The PPP was intentional. This one was a shameful mistake..

OR MAYBE I'M JUST PLAYING MIND GAMES. DID YOU EVER CONSIDER THAT???

Whaaaa? Much like British comedy, I just didn't get it.

16 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Tkachuk. Not a bad piece at 8 eh?

So in other words, we're getting a really good player no matter how badly we get screwed on lottery day.

25 minutes ago, Buppy said:

So worst case scenario: We drop to 8th. Dahlin, Svech, Zadina, and all 4 of the 2nd-tier D off the board. What do you do?

Tkachuk? Wahlstrom? Veleno? Next-best D in Ty Smith? Curse the hockey gods and start watching cricket?

Keep the bus from falling below 55 MPH.

We're getting a really good player for sure, only Holland can screw this up...

with the #5 pick, The Detroit Red Wings select, from Kamloops, Montana Onyebuchi.

:lol: Nah, that was just a joke, I don't think even Holland can screw up a top 8 pick, unless he goes and drafts a 20th ranked player at that spot. Which, unlike my scenario above, is NOT beyond the realm of possibility.

Here is the latest ISS Top 10...ANY of these players would be awesome! Look at Wahlstrom with 90 points in 58 games, nice!

1 1.png Rasmus Dahlin (D) Frölunda HC SHL 41 7 13 20 20 
2 9.png Andrei Svechnikov (RW) Barrie Colts OHL 44 40 32 72 67 
3 8.png Filip Zadina (LW) Halifax Mooseheads QMJHL 57 44 38 82 36 
4 6.png Brady Tkachuk (C/LW) Boston Univ. NCAA 40 8 23 31 61 
5 6.png Oliver Wahlstrom (C/RW) U.S. National U18 Team USDP 58 45 45 90 40 
6 3.png Evan Bouchard (D) London Knights OHL 67 25 62 87 54 
7 6.png Quinn Hughes (D) Univ. of Michigan NCAA 37 5 24 29 26 
8 3.png Noah Dobson (D) Acadie-Bathurst Titan QMJHL 67 17 52 69 52 
9 1.png Adam Boqvist (D) Brynäs IF J20 SuperElit 25 14 10 24 18 
10 3.png Joseph Veleno (C) Drummondville Voltigeurs QMJHL 33 16 32 48 22 

On 4/19/2018 at 10:44 PM, Buppy said:

I'd take Wahlstrom or trade back and take Wilde.  If I draft offense early I take defense with Vegas' pick and vice versa. 

3 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Ya, here really is no way to lose in the top 10. I haven't watch Wahlstrom too much, I seen him creeping up into the top 20, but didn't know his stats were that good. Heck there might be no way to lose for anyone in the top 15!

He's tearing up the U18 Worlds right now. Looks like I may have been wrong about the kid.

Another kid who's looking really good in the tournament. Can't be drafted until 20/20, but if we're still a lottery team then, this is who I want:

4 hours ago, kickazz said:

Win draft lottery. Draft Svechnikov. 

Detroit riots 2.0

To be honest I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if this is how winning the #1 pick went down. I mean, I think he'd at least trade down for the second overall pick, but riot-inducing regardless.