• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

LeftWinger

Official 2018 NHL Amateur Entry Draft Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

4 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Well, if that happened, I'm sure we'd get an asset back as well. 

So curious say we are willing to trade the number 1 if we get it. What kind of haul could we expect? Basically its a trade of a supposedly generational talent and in no way would I expect even Holland to do it

Lindros style haul?

Pulled from Wiki about the trade that created the Avs... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Lindros_trade

The Flyers offer was reported to include Mike Ricci, Rod Brind'Amour, Mark Recchi, Steve Duchesne, Ron Hextall, Dominic Roussel, multiple first-round draft picks, and $15 million, while the Rangers had reportedly agreed to trade Sergei Nemchinov, Tony Amonte, Alexei Kovalev, James Patrick, and either John Vanbiesbrouck or Mike Richter, as well as multiple first-round draft picks and $20 million.[23]

not a bad haul going back...

What would you want in return for the number 1 if you were willing to trade it away in todays world?

44 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

To be honest I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if this is how winning the #1 pick went down. I mean, I think he'd at least trade down for the second overall pick, but riot-inducing regardless.

You wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the Wings passed on Dahlin? Or you wouldn't be the least surprised if fans rioted over the Wings passing on Dahlin?

The first one I can agree with, though there's no way the Wings pass on Dahlin in the first place. The second one, well, like I just said: the Wings would not pass on Dahlin. No organization would.

The organization that wins the 1st overall pick is taking Dahlin, guaranteed. (Pick won't be traded.)

I haven't watched Svechling play or Zadina, but I am damn impressed with Wahlstrom. Wilde looks good and Mat Samuelsson is a monster. Our 1st four picks are going to be exciting! 

Also Jack Hughes is all he's touted to be. Also impressed with Cole Caufield. Both 2019 available.

1 hour ago, AtlantaHotWings said:

What would you want in return for the number 1 if you were willing to trade it away in todays world?

McDavid.

Seriously though, there's zero chance any GM, including Holland, even entertains trading this year's first overall pick. Like Dabura said, a team would have to massively overpay, and that's not going to happen. If we get the 1st overall pick, we take Dahlin. If we get the 2nd overall pick, we take Svechnikov. If we get the 3rd overall pick, I'd definitely be open to trade offers. 

I'm with everyone on the Wahlstrom hype train. I think he'd be a great pick in the top 10. We desperately need some right handed shooters in our top 6. Wahlstrom could definitely fill that role. My number one outside of the top 5 is still Bouchard though. Either way, like others have mentioned, we're getting a very good prospect in this draft. Can't wait for Saturday!

11 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

I'm with everyone on the Wahlstrom hype train. I think he'd be a great pick in the top 10. We desperately need some right handed shooters in our top 6. Wahlstrom could definitely fill that role. My number one outside of the top 5 is still Bouchard though. Either way, like others have mentioned, we're getting a very good prospect in this draft. Can't wait for Saturday!

By my reckoning, any of Hughes, Boqvist, Bouchard, Dobson, Wahlstrom, Tkachuk could've easily gone 3rd overall in last year's draft. While, yeah, last year's draft class was relatively meh, that's still pretty remarkable.

Point being: the HYPE! is real!

1 hour ago, F.Michael said:

Round 1: 5th overall (subject to change based on lottery)

Round 1: 29th overall

Round 2: 33rd overall

Round 2: 36th overall

Round 3: 67th overall

Round 3: 81st overall

Round 3: 84th overall

Round 4: 98th overall

Round 6: 159th overall

Round 6: 160th overall

Round 7: 191st overall

I know it's beating a dead horse, but those 33rd, and 36th are damn near 1st rounders...If we're lucky we'll score some top talent in this years draft.

it can also be said, our 3rd round pick is a 2nd. We are going to get some quality players this year! Whether or not they can translate their game in to the NHL we'll see, and whether or not Holland screws up the 2nds and 3rds.

I'd like to see a gamble with one of those 6th's and draft British Star Liam Kirk. Before I quit Twitter, he and I had a brief exchange regarding being drafted. Of course he would be elated just to be drafted, but he did say it would be extra special to a Red Wing with all the history and Z and Pav are a couple of his favorite players. He may have just been saying nice things to a fan, but hey, at the time it sounded good! That is what I loved about Twitter, once in awhile you can experience an exchange like that! Too bad...

Edited by LeftWinger

2 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

it can also be said, our 3rd round pick is a 2nd. We are going to get some quality players this year! Whether or not they can translate their game in to the NHL we'll see, and whether or not Holland screws up the 2nds and 3rds.

I'd like to see a gamble with one of those 6th's and draft British Star Liam Kirk. Before I quit Twitter, he and I had a brief exchange regarding being drafted. Of course he would be elated just to be drafted, but he did say it would be extra special to a Red Wing with all the history and Z and Pav are a couple of his favorite players. He may have just been saying nice things to a fan, but hey, at the time it sounded good! That is what I loved about Twitter, once in awhile you can experience an exchange like that! Too bad...

Maybe you should manage your expectations a little and not expect us to hit on every single pick. :ok:

1 hour ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Draft Order Reveal Details

Sounds like draft order will be announced this Saturday during the playoff games

Old news, ya dingus.

Kinda lame that they're splitting the 4-15 reveal (before the game) and the 1-3 reveal (first intermission). Did they do it that way last year? I honestly don't remember.

36 minutes ago, Dabura said:

Kinda lame that they're splitting the 4-15 reveal (before the game) and the 1-3 reveal (first intermission). Did they do it that way last year? I honestly don't remember.

Just checked, it's a new thing.

1 hour ago, Dabura said:

Old news, ya dingus.

Last year they revealed the teams in order from 15th pick to 1st on a televised draft lottery show type thing. Which was funny/upsetting to watch the reactions when they didn’t announce Philly in their season ending spot in the standings :P 

7 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Did you quit Twitter or did Twitter quit you?

1 hour ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Ok.  Was just trying to see what the cost would be.

@krsmith17 was actually dead-on when he said McDavid.

Many people believe Dahlin is the most promising young defenseman in decades. (I'm one of them.) You don't give up a player with that kind of potential unless you're getting a comparably singular young player in return. McDavid's the only one who fits the bill, IMO. And even then...

Eichel + Ristolainen doesn't come close. Even if Buffalo throws multiple 1st-round picks at you, can you reasonably expect to get a Dahlin-caliber player with any of those picks?

Edited by Dabura

46 minutes ago, amato said:

Last year they revealed the teams in order from 15th pick to 1st on a televised draft lottery show type thing. Which was funny/upsetting to watch the reactions when they didn’t announce Philly in their season ending spot in the standings :P 

Oh, I definitely remember the weird format, I just couldn't remember if they bookmarked 4-15 and 1-3 around the first period of the game like they're doing this year.

I pretty much mentally checked out when they revealed that the Wings had been knocked back three spots. In that moment I said to myself, "Oh, ok, they're going HAM on this 'A bottom-three finish guarantees you nothing' angle. Makes sense, I guess." S*** was rigged!

2 hours ago, Dabura said:

Oh, I definitely remember the weird format, I just couldn't remember if they bookmarked 4-15 and 1-3 around the first period of the game like they're doing this year.

I pretty much mentally checked out when they revealed that the Wings had been knocked back three spots. In that moment I said to myself, "Oh, ok, they're going HAM on this 'A bottom-three finish guarantees you nothing' angle. Makes sense, I guess." S*** was rigged!

We were just sacrificing last year’s lotto to the hockey gods so we could win this one. No worries :ninja: 

On 4/25/2018 at 7:31 AM, AtlantaHotWings said:

So curious say we are willing to trade the number 1 if we get it. What kind of haul could we expect? Basically its a trade of a supposedly generational talent and in no way would I expect even Holland to do it

Lindros style haul?

Pulled from Wiki about the trade that created the Avs... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Lindros_trade

The Flyers offer was reported to include Mike Ricci, Rod Brind'Amour, Mark Recchi, Steve Duchesne, Ron Hextall, Dominic Roussel, multiple first-round draft picks, and $15 million, while the Rangers had reportedly agreed to trade Sergei Nemchinov, Tony Amonte, Alexei Kovalev, James Patrick, and either John Vanbiesbrouck or Mike Richter, as well as multiple first-round draft picks and $20 million.[23]

not a bad haul going back...

The only way another trade like this would be even remotely possible is if Dahlin came out and said he won't play for whoever lands number one overall. Dahlin doesn't seem like the John Elway or Eric Lindros type. I don't think he pulls that. Unless EDM is willing to trade their #1 and McDavid, Dahlin will go #1. Even then, no team would do it. Quebec traded away Lindros and still ended up the winner. 2 Cups to show for that haul, none for Philly.

1 hour ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

The only way another trade like this would be even remotely possible is if Dahlin came out and said he won't play for whoever lands number one overall. Dahlin doesn't seem like the John Elway or Eric Lindros type. I don't think he pulls that. Unless EDM is willing to trade their #1 and McDavid, Dahlin will go #1. Even then, no team would do it. Quebec traded away Lindros and still ended up the winner. 2 Cups to show for that haul, none for Philly.

Huh? I said it would likely take McDavid to get a team to trade the 1st overall pick (Dahlin), but make no mistake, every team would make that trade 10 out of 10 times. If we lucked out with the 1st overall pick and Edmonton offered us McDavid plus their 1st round pick, I'd make the trade, and Chiarelli would officially be named worst GM in the history of all professional sports. Dahlin is the best defense prospect possibly ever, but it's still just potential at this point. McDavid is a proven elite, number one center, the best since Crosby, and already viewed as being better by some.