• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

LeftWinger

Official 2018 NHL Amateur Entry Draft Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

9 hours ago, mackel said:

In the rankings I'm following Huges is ranked lower than, Dahlin, Boqvist, Dobson and Bouchard in that order... the only way we draft him IMHO is if they pull the ole he's from Michigan so we'll draft him trick...

I don't think other people's rankings matter. Assuming the Wings have done their homework and scouted the bejesus out of all of the top talent, all that really matters is how the Wings rate these players.

1 hour ago, AtlantaHotWings said:

I think I am going with either 

Dobson  or Bouchard but pretty anyone drafted should help us. 

Poll @ Mlive has a lot of folks wanting Bouchard

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2018/04/who_should_detroit_red_wings_s.html

I'd say overwhelmingly the fans prefer him according to that vote! He's Holland's #2 rated D-man behind Dahlin? Then unless he gets picked 5th, it would probably be a no-brainer that they take him. But our luck Arizona takes him :lol: What are Arizona's needs I wonder? If they need O then we're set. They'd probably snag Wahlstrom (poor guy) and we can have Bouchard. 

I'd go D with the first 3 picks, then go with O the next 3. The a G with one of our remaining 3rds. Then after the 3rd round, we can start the "find a diamond" game. We'll have 4 picks in the last 4 rounds (no 5th) so we may be able to get a lucky one there! (Liam Kirk Please!)

2 hours ago, amato said:

https://www.tsn.ca/tsn-hockey-mock-draft-post-lottery-edition-1.1071168

TSN post lottery mock from Craig Button for anyone interested. Has Hughes going right before us to the Coyotes, and us taking Bouchard. Boqvist at 10 to the Oilers. 

I haven’t seen enough of Dobson personally so I’m not sure how i feel about him. Boqvist, Bouchard, & Hughes are my top 3 at #6 and I keep shuffling around which of them I like most; I’d be happy with any of them.

Also, I don’t think Hughes being at Michigan gives him any sort of edge other than he was easier to watch play for scouts (not like that really matters as much these days). Being at Michigan doesn’t boost his likelyhood to end up being picked by Detroit, but his skating ability does. I’m excited to see how he does at worlds. 

That looks like a very probable draft. It would be great to see it happen. Although, IMO, Bouchard and Dobson are interchangeable, plus I think Arizona would take Boqvist before Hughes. I am sure than they are also interchangeable, but they'd probably like to have a player there that could maybe entice OEL to never leave. Not saying Hughes wouldn't be great there either, but I am sure OEL is pretty familiar and probably a fan of Boqvist being countrymen. Either way, we're getting a player that will seriously challenge for a  spot on the opening day roster!

3 hours ago, amato said:

https://www.tsn.ca/tsn-hockey-mock-draft-post-lottery-edition-1.1071168

TSN post lottery mock from Craig Button for anyone interested. Has Hughes going right before us to the Coyotes, and us taking Bouchard. Boqvist at 10 to the Oilers. 

I haven’t seen enough of Dobson personally so I’m not sure how i feel about him. Boqvist, Bouchard, & Hughes are my top 3 at #6 and I keep shuffling around which of them I like most; I’d be happy with any of them.

Also, I don’t think Hughes being at Michigan gives him any sort of edge other than he was easier to watch play for scouts (not like that really matters as much these days). Being at Michigan doesn’t boost his likelyhood to end up being picked by Detroit, but his skating ability does. I’m excited to see how he does at worlds. 

But doesn't the fact that he plays for Michigan automatically make him eligible for the Red Wings "Hometown Hero", over-hype player package and supreme loyalty for the next seven years??

31 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

That looks like a very probable draft. It would be great to see it happen. Although, IMO, Bouchard and Dobson are interchangeable, plus I think Arizona would take Boqvist before Hughes. I am sure than they are also interchangeable, but they'd probably like to have a player there that could maybe entice OEL to never leave. Not saying Hughes wouldn't be great there either, but I am sure OEL is pretty familiar and probably a fan of Boqvist being countrymen. Either way, we're getting a player that will seriously challenge for a  spot on the opening day roster!

Are you saying they're intechangable just because of their weights/heights and don't really know much else about them? 

Because they are all quite different...

59 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

I'd go D with the first 3 picks, then go with O the next 3. The a G with one of our remaining 3rds. Then after the 3rd round, we can start the "find a diamond" game. We'll have 4 picks in the last 4 rounds (no 5th) so we may be able to get a lucky one there! (Liam Kirk Please!)

Why? It should always be Best Player Available. We need defensemen, centers and wingers, in that order, but that doesn't mean we should take them in that order. To predetermine that we're taking a defenseman with picks 6, 27 and 35, forwards with picks 37, 68 and 81, and a goalie with pick 87 would be dumb. As long as we take BPA with all of our picks, and we address all positions at some point in the draft, I'll be happy. I'm also hoping we look to trade up with our multiple 2nd's and 3rd's.

Someone mentioned trading Svechnikov to Carolina for Hanifin. I'd love that, but no way the Canes give up Hanifin. Maybe a trade for Bean would be doable though. I'd aggressively pursue that sort of trade this offseason. If we could get Bouchard (or Dobson / Boqvist / Hughes) in this draft, trade for Bean, we'd be well on our way to fixing our defense. A top 4 of Bean - Bouchard and Cholowski - Hronek could be pretty damn good.

1 hour ago, RightWeiner said:

Are you saying they're intechangable just because of their weights/heights and don't really know much else about them? 

Because they are all quite different...

Interchangeable meaning, teams could take either one at their pick in the draft. HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH WEIGHT AND HEIGHT. Do not try to turn this thread into anything it isn't.

Edited by LeftWinger

Boqvist and Hughes are in fact very similar players. Primarily offensive guys with a game built around their skating ability. Of course there are differences, but I'd say any team interested in one would have nearly equal interest in the other. For me, the only reason I like Boqvist more is because he's almost a year younger, which could make a huge difference at that age.

9 minutes ago, Buppy said:

Boqvist and Hughes are in fact very similar players. Primarily offensive guys with a game built around their skating ability. Of course there are differences, but I'd say any team interested in one would have nearly equal interest in the other. For me, the only reason I like Boqvist more is because he's almost a year younger, which could make a huge difference at that age.

Agreed. I'd also add that between the two Boqvist seems to have the better wrister and know how to use it. Otherwise I would say their appeal is pretty similar. 

32 minutes ago, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

Agreed. I'd also add that between the two Boqvist seems to have the better wrister and know how to use it. Otherwise I would say their appeal is pretty similar. 

I recently read an interesting theory regarding Hughes' shot/lack thereof and his goal-scoring prowess/lack thereof. Basically: Hughes uses a long stick (for obvious reasons), which takes a lot off of his shot, because the release point isn't really where it should be. According to the theory, he's well aware of this, accepts the tradeoff, and focuses on passing, skating, playmaking. I was a tall defenseman who used a relatively short stick, so I can't really relate. But it makes sense.

I slightly prefer Boqvist, largely because he's so much younger, as @Buppy pointed out. I go back and forth between Boqvist and Bouchard as my top preference. But, really, we could take any of those four defensemen -- Hughes, Boqvist, Bouchard, Dobson -- or Wahlstrom and I'd be happy.

6 minutes ago, Dabura said:

I recently read an interesting theory regarding Hughes' shot/lack thereof and his goal-scoring prowess/lack thereof. Basically: Hughes uses a long stick (for obvious reasons), which takes a lot off of his shot, because the release point isn't really where it should be. According to the theory, he's well aware of this, accepts the tradeoff, and focuses on passing, skating, playmaking. I was a tall defenseman who used a relatively short stick, so I can't really relate. But it makes sense.

I slightly prefer Boqvist, largely because he's so much younger, as @Buppy pointed out. I go back and forth between Boqvist and Bouchard as my top preference. But, really, we could take any of those four defensemen -- Hughes, Boqvist, Bouchard, Dobson -- or Wahlstrom and I'd be happy.

I would definitely buy that. Watching him play I was amazed at his lack of scoring production considering how offensively aware he seemed. He does still put up pretty impressive assist numbers, so if it's by design I'm a little less leery of him. Either way, I'd take Bouchard over both Boqvist or Hughes at this point. But as you said, I wouldn't be unhappy with any.

I think Hughes tends to rely too much on skating circles around everyone. Granted, he's a good enough skater that he could probably do a lot of that even in the NHL. I don't really care if he gives up goal scoring to improve other aspects of his game, but I would like to see more of a focus on something other than skating. Then again, that's just based on highlight reels so there's a good chance my impression is skewed.

I've soured a little on Bouchard, not necessarily because I don't like him, but because Cholowski also isn't that fast. I'd like to add some more speed to our D prospects.

Dobson from what I've seen can skate really well when he wants to (kind of the opposite of Hughes in that he doesn't seem to use it enough). Unlike most people, I'd rather he work on that than bulking up. 

So much for "draft lottery luck". Didn't we drop a spot from the final standings? That being said, it could have been worse, still get a good player. I agree with the comment above of taking best available regardless of position. We need D, but if a forward with more upside is still on the board, snag him. 

Hawks getting the 8th is a joke. They're contenders with a healthy Crawford. Oh well.

10 hours ago, Learn2LuvIt said:

But doesn't the fact that he plays for Michigan automatically make him eligible for the Red Wings "Hometown Hero", over-hype player package and supreme loyalty for the next seven years??

Yes. Which is why a lot of mock drafts have the Wings picking him. Its a thing.

6 hours ago, Dabura said:

I would be happy with either. I prefer them over Hughes cuz they're both RH. Something lacking on our D at this time. If I had a gun to my head and had to pick one, I guess I would go Boqvist. I just don't think he'll be there unless Ottawa goes F with their pick.

A lot of mocks I am seeing has Dahlin #1, then 4 straight forwards. If that happens, if we are going D, that'll leave the 4 other top D available to Holland.

Boqvist

Bouchard

Dobson

Hughes

...like we've joked about before, even Holland can't screw this up, or could he?

15 hours ago, Barrie said:

I saw a Sporting News mock draft, they have us taking Brady Tkachuk, ha!

That would be a mistake IMO. We should go D. But even if all of Boqvist, Bouchard, and Hughes are taken, that would mean Zadina is still available and would be a better choice. I have a feeling that Arizona takes Tkachuk anyway.

My 1-10 Mock Draft:

Buffalo: Dahlin

Carolina: Svechikov

Montreal: Zadina

Ottawa: Boqvist

Arizona: Tkachuk

That leaves either Hughes or Bouchard for Detroit at 6. I would prefer Bouchard of the 2, but the Michigan connection may be too strong for Holland.

Vancouver: Wahlstrom

Chicago: Hughes/Bouchard

Rangers: Dobson

Oilers: Ty Smith

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

In some ways, I almost wish that we did drop back to 8th. That way there would only be one of Dahlin,Svech,Zadina Tkachuk, Wahlstrom, Boqvist, Hughes and Bouchard left for Holland to take and I wouldn't have to listen to all of the "Holland took the wrong player" bickering for the next 10-15 years.

1 hour ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

In some ways, I almost wish that we did drop back to 8th. That way there would only be one of Dahlin,Svech,Zadina Tkachuk, Wahlstrom, Boqvist, Hughes and Bouchard left for Holland to take and I wouldn't have to listen to all of the "Holland took the wrong player" bickering for the next 10-15 years.

Then it would just be “I can’t believe holland didn’t trade up for a better player” and blah blah blah. Agreed, the should’ve drafted talk is annoying. After we make our picks, I don’t really care about the people I wish we could’ve drafted anymore. 

Also your 1-10 mock seems about right to me too. Could mayyybe see Arizona going defense but I think Tkachuk seems right there. 

10 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

A lot of mocks I am seeing has Dahlin #1, then 4 straight forwards. If that happens, if we are going D, that'll leave the 4 other top D available to Holland.

Boqvist

Bouchard

Dobson

Hughes

...like we've joked about before, even Holland can't screw this up, or could he?

Oh, he CAN screw it up. As long as he listens to everyone at the table though, I think it'll be ok. This is a huge draft for the Wings though, and I wish Holland weren't in charge, but he is. Time will tell if Illitch's decision was a good one or not. Whoever they draft will probably groan. "Great, I may have to play under Blashill."

1 hour ago, chaps80 said:

Oh, he CAN screw it up. As long as he listens to everyone at the table though, I think it'll be ok. This is a huge draft for the Wings though, and I wish Holland weren't in charge, but he is. Time will tell if Illitch's decision was a good one or not. Whoever they draft will probably groan. "Great, I may have to play under Blashill."

So what, if he drafts a good player its because he listed to people at the table, but if he drafts a player you dont like he made the decision himself?

2 hours ago, chaps80 said:

I doubt it. Blashill isn't that good but he's not the worst. I'd probably rather have him than Wayne Gretzky as the coach. 

2 hours ago, kliq said:

So what, if he drafts a good player its because he listed to people at the table, but if he drafts a player you dont like he made the decision himself?

No. It means he needs to listen to everyone involved to make the best decision, and I hope he will. 

1 hour ago, kickazz said:

I doubt it. Blashill isn't that good but he's not the worst. I'd probably rather have him than Wayne Gretzky as the coach. 

Haha that one I can agree on. Legendary player, horrible coach. His flip outs were good entertainment though, never saw that from Wayne in his playing career.