• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

LeftWinger

Official 2018 NHL Amateur Entry Draft Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

Forgive my ignorance but who the hell is this Pat Caputo? I've never heard of him...

I did a quick Google search and apparently he's a sports writer and radio talk show host? Does he have any credibility or is he just some schmuck? Is he in any way a reputable source?

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

Forgive my ignorance but who the hell is this Pat Caputo? I've never heard of him...

I did a quick Google search and apparently he's a sports writer and radio talk show host? Does he have any credibility or is he just some schmuck? Is he in any way a reputable source?

What are those roundy red things on his windows? Some type of weird drape/blind I've never seen before? Whatever they are, they're different than what I'm used to and I hate them.

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

He does a radio show with Ken Kal, which is likely the extent of his "insider"-ness. I wouldn't call him "just some schmuck", but I wouldn't put all that much stock into the exclusion of Bouchard, if that's what you're asking.

2 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

...No doubt he made sure to mention Hughes, Caputo is a HUGE Michigan slappie...to the point that it makes me vomit.

You're just going to keep pushing this 'Hughes isn't a worthy choice' thing, aren't you. I bet by the middle of June he's going to be "a typical Holland off-the-board pick". 

32 minutes ago, Buppy said:

He does a radio show with Ken Kal, which is likely the extent of his "insider"-ness. I wouldn't call him "just some schmuck", but I wouldn't put all that much stock into the exclusion of Bouchard, if that's what you're asking.

You're just going to keep pushing this 'Hughes isn't a worthy choice' thing, aren't you. I bet by the middle of June he's going to be "a typical Holland off-the-board pick". 

Didn't say he wasn't worthy. Look over the life of this thread, you won't find anything of the sort.

9 hours ago, kliq said:

Nothing groundbreaking by any stretch, but just some draft thoughts from Caputo. Interesting that he doesn't even name Bouchard.

Which means we're taking Bouchard.

6 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Image result for neil cavuto

9 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

He's no insider or anything, but like Buppy said he hosts a weekly show called Inside Hockey Town on 97.1 with Ken Kal.

He's been a writer/radio personality in the Detroit Area for years. More of a baseball guy I think as I'm pretty sure you used to be a beat writer for the Tigers. I dont take what he says as anything special, just found it interesting. I actually not a huge fan of his, but he's not some schmuck. 

5 hours ago, kliq said:

I'm pretty sure you used to be a beat writer for the Tigers. 

Nope, I've never been a beat writer for the Tigers. Not even much of a baseball fan to be honest... You must be thinking of that other guy, I think his name is Pat Caputo or something... :tounge2:

4 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Nope, I've never been a beat writer for the Tigers. Not even much of a baseball fan to be honest... You must be thinking of that other guy, I think his name is Pat Caputo or something... :tounge2:

lol! I meant he.

So with Vegas getting no lower than 30, do you think Bokk will still be there? I think it was a stretch at 28, he will probably be gone but until its over...

I am still going with:

Bouchard

Bokk

Samuelsson

Addison

...with our first 4 picks.

Edited by LeftWinger

So with Vegas getting no lower than 30, do you think Bokk will still be there? I think it was a stretch at 28, he will probably be gone but until its over...

I am still going with:

Bouchard

Bokk

Samuelsson

Addison

...with our first 4 picks.

I don't think Bokk will be available at 30 (or 31). It's possible he could be gone before 20. I'd definitely consider moving up in this draft if a player starts dropping.

I don't understand you man... You go on and on about how pissed you'd be if Holland goes against what he said about drafting small defensemen, and then you say you want us to draft Addison, who is the exact same size as Hughes and slightly smaller than Boqvist...

12 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

I don't think Bokk will be available at 30 (or 31). It's possible he could be gone before 20. I'd definitely consider moving up in this draft if a player starts dropping.

I don't understand you man... You go on and on about how pissed you'd be if Holland goes against what he said about drafting small defensemen, and then you say you want us to draft Addison, who is the exact same size as Hughes and slightly smaller than Boqvist...

He's so wrapped up in the narrative that Holland is a moron that he cant appreciate when things go well.

Its sad. His entire persona on this forum is based on the fact that Holland is braindead, and when that persona brcomes threatened bc obviously that isnt the case he has to fabricate some bizarre reason to hate Holland.

"I dont dislike the Rybar signing, but based on this signing im scared now of what Holland will do next"

*More cognitive ensues*

4 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

He's so wrapped up in the narrative that Holland is a moron that he cant appreciate when things go well.

Its sad. His entire persona on this forum is based on the fact that Holland is braindead, and when that persona brcomes threatened bc obviously that isnt the case he has to fabricate some bizarre reason to hate Holland.

"I dont dislike the Rybar signing, but based on this signing im scared now of what Holland will do next"

*More cognitive ensues*

You could not be more wrong. I do not hate Holland. But I love this franchise so much I am afraid of what Holland may NOT do in order to make this team great again. He has done stuff, and yes there are things that you do as a GM that is SOP, but I am just tired of the junk this team has turned into because of some of the things Holland did or did not do.  Just don't want to become a franchise like Chicago or Pittsburgh where I have to endure a decade of junk....I ain't getting any younger!

There is no narrative, I do appreciate when things go well, I do not think he is braindead.  Just want this team to do well ALL the time. If don't feel the same way, then something is wrong.  Guess I just want to see progress instead of regress.  All of my youth, even when they were getting eliminated in the first round all the time, you still saw something growing, I just want to see more of that. He's done great in drafts, trades and trying to acquire UFA's, I guess I am just impatient, like I said, I don't want to go through a decade or more of being bottom feeders.

17 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

I don't understand you man... You go on and on about how pissed you'd be if Holland goes against what he said about drafting small defensemen, and then you say you want us to draft Addison, who is the exact same size as Hughes and slightly smaller than Boqvist…

I'd prefer the #6 not to be the small D-man.  But honestly, if I were "in the know" I wouldn't be working where I currently work, I'd have a job in the NHL. I don't know crap, but I do have favorites I'd like to see become Red Wings...BTW go all the way back to the first post of the thread, the first few names I mentioned to keep an eye on were Hughes and Wilde, someone even came in here and mocked it as this years Tippett and Hague...I've never been anti-Hughes, right now, I am just more pro-Bouchard.  A smaller O-minded D in the 2nd round is not a big deal, but like I said, we are in dire need of both a small fast O-minded D and also a larger D who can also move the puck, we would win with ANY of the 4,I just have my order of preference.

28 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

... I am just tired of the junk this team has turned into because of some of the things Holland did or did not do...

Those things you're speaking of that "Holland did or did not do" are things of the past though. He hasn't done much of anything to set this team back in the past couple years. The past year and a half in particular, ever since the rebuild has truly been on, have been great moves from him. Although I wasn't personally a fan of the Daley signing, I wouldn't consider it a really bad move that set the team back in any way.

Why can't you give him the benefit of the doubt that he will continue making good moves / decisions to move this team in the right direction? If he trades a pick and a prospect for an aging veteran, by all means, rant and roar, I'll be right there with you, but that's not going to happen. There is no guide book that Holland follows every year, but if there were, don't you think that the pages in the book have changed in the past couple years?

36 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

A smaller O-minded D in the 2nd round is not a big deal, but like I said, we are in dire need of both a small fast O-minded D and also a larger D who can also move the puck...

The thing is, I was with you on not targeting one of the smaller offensive defensemen (Hughes / Boqvist) with the 6th overall pick. Not because I think they're bad players. I'm sure they'll be great defensemen, but I just think Bouchard would be the better fit / fills a bigger need (no pun intended). I don't think we're in "dire need of a small, fast offensive defenseman". We have Hronek, Saarijarvi and Hicketts that could fill that role some day. None appear to be top pair defensemen (Hronek has an outside chance), but I'm not convinced Hughes will ever develop into a top pair defenseman either.

I just don't see the desire to draft another small offensive defenseman in the 2nd round, when we have Hronek, who likely has a higher ceiling, and Saarijarvi, who might as well. If I recall, didn't you freak out when the Wings selected one or both of Hronek and Saarijarvi in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, back to back years? Did it have anything to do with Nationality?

I'm really hoping we can snag Ty Dellandrea with one of our picks (30-36). I have a feeling he may be gone before then though...

@Dabura have you seen much of him in Flint or World Juniors to give an opinion? I've read pretty much every article / scouting report and watched every video on him, but have never seen him play live...

You could not be more wrong. I do not hate Holland. But I love this franchise so much I am afraid of what Holland may NOT do in order to make this team great again. He has done stuff, and yes there are things that you do as a GM that is SOP, but I am just tired of the junk this team has turned into because of some of the things Holland did or did not do.  Just don't want to become a franchise like Chicago or Pittsburgh where I have to endure a decade of junk....I ain't getting any younger!

There is no narrative, I do appreciate when things go well, I do not think he is braindead.  Just want this team to do well ALL the time. If don't feel the same way, then something is wrong.  Guess I just want to see progress instead of regress.  All of my youth, even when they were getting eliminated in the first round all the time, you still saw something growing, I just want to see more of that. He's done great in drafts, trades and trying to acquire UFA's, I guess I am just impatient, like I said, I don't want to go through a decade or more of being bottom feeders.

Blah blah blah we know you love the team. We all do.

Your position that signing Rybar is a sign of doom n gloom, is completely irrational. You say its bc you love the team too much... and i kno you do, but you didnt make this bizarre connection with love in mind.

1 hour ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Blah blah blah we know you love the team. We all do.

Your position that signing Rybar is a sign of doom n gloom, is completely irrational. You say its bc you love the team too much... and i kno you do, but you didnt make this bizarre connection with love in mind.

How many times do you have to read that it's not about the person or position signed.

Here's a fun fact.

In the 2004 entry draft the first player selected by the Wings was Franzen. 3rd round. 97th overall. 

This year they'll pick 7 times before selection 97 and their 8th pick is at 98. 

How can you not be excited about that?

Edit: spelling

Edited by The 91 of Ryans

4 hours ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Here's a fun fact.

In the 2004 entry draft the first player selected by the Wings was Franzen. 3rd round. 97th overall. 

This year they'll pick 7 times before selection 97 and their 8th pick is at 98. 

How can you not be excited about that?

Edit: spelling

I like this guy.

6 hours ago, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

I like this guy.

Calling it now: I think the Wings get a perennial 30 goal scorer and a legit top 2 d-man in this draft. They are due for some draft luck and with 8 picks in the first three rounds I think they hit on a couple at least.