• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

LeftWinger

Official 2018 NHL Amateur Entry Draft Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

2 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Just a personal preference I guess. I'd prefer any of the other 5 or 6 players before him. This will be our highest pick since 1990 (Primeau), I don't want to trade back unless we're guaranteed one of the top guys, and even then, only if it's for a significant return. We need to add some high end centers, but Kotkaniemi has played significant time on the wing. He may develop into a center, but I see him as more of a winger at the NHL level. The last thing this organization needs is another left-handed winger. Always go best player available, but all things being equal, take the tdefenseman or center over the winger.

All I been hearing about him is how he's the best center from everyone and has rising up big-time,  I wouldn't be against drafting him or Dobson if we fall back if it means we get another late first To land dellandrea or bokk otherwise keep the pick and get the player you Like

Anyways someone that goes 14 can be better than picks 6 To 13 ... time Will tell 

Hated Bertuzzi pick cause he was picked way sooner than ranked , just pick who you Like 

1 hour ago, BinMucker94 said:

What if he traded the 6th and moved back a few spots? In the trade he adds a young high potential defenseman and maybe some other pieces/picks, then takes this kid with whatever pick we moved back to.

Would everyone be butthurt then?

No one Will give us a top d prospect To fall back a few spots , best bet would To package AA for a bean type prospect 

Am I the only one who thinks this who left handed/right handed fetishism has gotten completely out of hand.  Roughly 2/3 hockey players across the entire league are left shots.  Most players on most teams are left shots.  Whether a player is any good or not dramatically outweighs what side he shoots from. 

It seems like right handedness has become a trump card in the minds of fans trying to advocate for certain players.  All else being equal it probably matters a little bit, but since all else is rarely equal amongst kids with differing degrees of skill, it probably doesn't matter as much as skill does. 

6 minutes ago, Dabura said:

Depends. Which hand has it gotten completely out of, left or right?

0_0.gif

Wait...

If Vegas wins the cup, doesn't that mean the Red Wings will be the first team ever to select a player in the first round at 31 overall? The latest first round pick ever?

HISTORY WILL BE MADE

16 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Am I the only one who thinks this who left handed/right handed fetishism has gotten completely out of hand.  Roughly 2/3 hockey players across the entire league are left shots.  Most players on most teams are left shots.  Whether a player is any good or not dramatically outweighs what side he shoots from. 

It seems like right handedness has become a trump card in the minds of fans trying to advocate for certain players.  All else being equal it probably matters a little bit, but since all else is rarely equal amongst kids with differing degrees of skill, it probably doesn't matter as much as skill does. 

I'm pretty sure the "analysts" of the hockey world do the exact same thing. If anything, it's something the "experts" have infected the fans with.

Just now, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

It's coaches that care about handedness in their lineup

Fair enough, just saying, to lay it at the feet of fans for creating the fervor is incorrect, whether we're talking left or right feet.

Only if you assume fans can't think for themselves and their thoughts and opinions about the game are implanted in their heads by "experts" and "analysts".  Otherwise the s*** that comes spewing out of your mouths is ours alone. 

4 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Only if you assume fans can't think for themselves and their thoughts and opinions about the game are implanted in their heads by "experts" and "analysts".  Otherwise the s*** that comes spewing out of your mouths is ours alone. 

Yeah, which is why I'm saying it's not just fans that this stuff is coming from... They may get the idea from experts and analysts, but it's not like it was some mass fan theory. Are you getting defensive? If so, I don't quite understand why.

Not defensive at all.  I'm criticizing fans for something they do, which I think is stupid, on a fan forum.  Particularly I'm criticizing fans for using it as a way to legitimize taking worse players (who they happen to like) because it seems legitimate despite that legitimacy having been blown completely out of proportion many years ago.  So while I don't doubt coaches find it useful, I do doubt it factors into a draft strategy unless that draft strategy is being developed by some fan who needs one extra reason to list Player X over Player Y. 

People always talk about changing overtime format, shootout format, powerplay format, etc. to spice up the game....

But what if we just made every player play the opposite handedness that there used to for one season?

s*** would be wacky AF and I would watch every second

1 hour ago, kipwinger said:

Sure, most players in the league are left handed, and most teams have more left handed shooter than right, but no team has been as right handed deficient as the Detroit Red Wings have been for the past decade or more. We haven't had a top 6 right handed forward since Alfredsson, 5 years ago. Before that it was Lang, 12 years ago. That is a serious issue in my opinion.

Of course we're not struggling solely because of the lack of right handed shooters, but I think it definitely plays a part. The best power-plays (and offensive attacks in general) include both left and right shooting forwards and defensemen. To say it doesn't matter is wrong. There's a reason most teams and coaches in particular value balanced shooters on each side of the ice.

No, handedness doesn't matter as much as skill, but to me, handedness is somewhat similar to position. We should draft best player available, regardless of position or handedness, but all else being equal, we need defensemen and right handed forwards. That's just my opinion. We're talking about the best players in the world for their age group. The difference in skill level in each tier of the draft is negligible. Give me a left handed forward and a right handed forward ranked similarly by various scouts, assuming all else is relatively equal, I take the right handed player because he fills a bigger need on our team.

6 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

you'll be the only one...now THIS is scary! Red Wings become DEAD Wings if Holland drafts this kid...

No, I would welcome a skilled center who is 17 and playing very well against men. Centers>Wingers, and he is big so I am surprised you don’t like him. Oh, I understand he is a Finn so he sucks in your mind. If he was John Smith from London, ON you would love the pick. 

12 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Handedness is a thing. To say it is irrelevant is just as exaggerated as saying that its the most important thing. Clearly neither is true.

...and the fact that Wahlstrom is 900,000,000 times better than the Finn.  If we go O, it has to be Wahlstrom, not a player we don't need because Liiga.

Edited by LeftWinger

12 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

....so now I hate Finns. Got It! I have to start writing this down to keep track.

I would advise a spreadsheet 

Columns could be country of origin, league, corsi, right or left hand, tatts no tatts ...LOL 

3 hours ago, F.Michael said:

Not that this means anything...Another scout on the radio this morning  rates the Dmen in order -  Dobson, Hughes, Bouchard, and then Boqvist.

:g: 

Hey dummy - you're in Seattle...

Never heard of Uli. Were an Oberto town.

?format=1000w

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

...and the fact that Wahlstrom is 900,000,000 times better than the Finn.  If we go O, it has to be Wahlstrom, not a player we don't need because Liiga.

I don't think Wahlstrom plays center or is as good looking as Jesperi Kotkaniemi though