• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

LeftWinger

Official 2018 NHL Amateur Entry Draft Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

4 hours ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Cool story. File under "D'uhhhh"

How bout this instead. Name me one decent prospect Andersson has had a hand in drafting recently. All the good ones (and 2nd round gems like Bertuzzi) have been based on the work of other scouts. 

Hronek? Was that Hakan? Maybe this Lindstrom kid pans out. 

Was that really necessary? My point is that the players that were once drafted in later rounds that he scouted are being drafted by other teams now. Therefore the "good" players that he scouts aren't in the Wings system, there in other teams' systems. That has nothing to do with his scouting ability, nor does it make him "washed up". The players that are in the system now that he scouted are probably guys who wouldn't have been drafted by the Wings 10 years because there would have been better players higher up on his list left on the board to draft. They have to pick from what's left (lesser prospects). So again, its not Hakan losing his touch, it's other teams scouting getting better. There's less big fish to catch when there's more guys fishing for them. I think the "DUH" moment is people thinking Hakan's genius is fading because they don't understand this. If they did, there would be no reason to ask the question.

1 hour ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Was that really necessary? My point is that the players that were once drafted in later rounds that he scouted are being drafted by other teams now. Therefore the "good" players that he scouts aren't in the Wings system, there in other teams' systems. That has nothing to do with his scouting ability, nor does it make him "washed up". The players that are in the system now that he scouted are probably guys who wouldn't have been drafted by the Wings 10 years because there would have been better players higher up on his list left on the board to draft. They have to pick from what's left (lesser prospects). So again, its not Hakan losing his touch, it's other teams scouting getting better. There's less big fish to catch when there's more guys fishing for them. I think the "DUH" moment is people thinking Hakan's genius is fading because they don't understand this. If they did, there would be no reason to ask the question.

Some people just love being rude because "reasons." I like how points are trying to be made and people just skate over them because they've already made their mind up on the subject. Why are you here if all you're going to do is just dismiss everything without actually diving into the data.

3 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

2 hours ago, SwedeLundin77 said:

Some people just love being rude because "reasons." I like how points are trying to be made and people just skate over them because they've already made their mind up on the subject. Why are you here if all you're going to do is just dismiss everything without actually diving into the data.

Oh come on you two! Toughen up. 

34 minutes ago, amato said:

https://theathletic.com/387849/2018/06/14/brown-a-video-breakdown-of-quinn-hughes-and-his-electrifying-toolbox/

I don’t have the athletic... but if anyone does, they did a breakdown of Quinn Hughes and I’m interested in what they say. The more I hear about this guy, the more I’m excited about him. 

They do a series where they study video on each player.  There aren't any quick and simply "breakdowns" so to speak, but here's his conclusion:

"In a draft class full of top-level projections on defence, Hughes’ elite skating ability is the best quality among them. His puck skills and smarts are tops on the board. As a whole package, I believe that no defender has a better, more diverse tool kit than Quinn Hughes. "

Edited by kipwinger

30 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

They do a series where they study video on each player.  There aren't any quick and simply "breakdowns" so to speak, but here's his conclusion:

"In a draft class full of top-level projections on defence, Hughes’ elite skating ability is the best quality among them. His puck skills and smarts are tops on the board. As a whole package, I believe that no defender has a better, more diverse tool kit than Quinn Hughes. "

Yeah, I keep getting more and more sold  on Hughes. He sounds like my style of defenseman. 

2 hours ago, amato said:

https://theathletic.com/387849/2018/06/14/brown-a-video-breakdown-of-quinn-hughes-and-his-electrifying-toolbox/

I don’t have the athletic... but if anyone does, they did a breakdown of Quinn Hughes and I’m interested in what they say. The more I hear about this guy, the more I’m excited about him. he

He's a left-handed kid from Michigan, so I'm sure Holland is too. :lol:

2 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

He's a left-handed kid from Michigan, so I'm sure Holland is too. :lol:

Is "from Michigan" another way of saying "born in Florida and lived most of his life in the Toronto area and now plays hockey in Michigan" ? 

Or is it another way of saying "just another played-out cliche trope bulls*** anti-Holland narrative f*** yeah!!!"

Just wondrin' 

1 hour ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Is "from Michigan" another way of saying "born in Florida and lived most of his life in the Toronto area and now plays hockey in Michigan" ? 

Or is it another way of saying "just another played-out cliche trope bulls*** anti-Holland narrative f*** yeah!!!"

Just wondrin' 

I think the emoji makes it clear that I was joking. I have never been Anti-Holland and I usually point it out when others are unreasonably critical of him. Sarcastic posts like that are one way I do it without singling people out. My 1000+ posts reflect that.

6 hours ago, amato said:

I don’t have the athletic... but if anyone does, they did a breakdown of Quinn Hughes and I’m interested in what they say. The more I hear about this guy, the more I’m excited about him. 

I'm not sure how reliable these guys are, but Last Word on Hockey did a scouting report of him:

Skating: Hughes is an outstanding skater. He looks like he is floating above the ice. He has very good speed and acceleration in both directions. Hughes has a textbook stride, and the ability to change directions on a dime. He uses the outstanding speed to join the rush or to pinch at the line. Hughes is rarely caught deep as he can still get back into position defensively thanks to that speed. His agility and footwork allow him to beat defenders one-on-one as well as to walk the line and make quick moves to open up passing and shooting lanes. Hughes has a low center of gravity which helps his balance and makes him strong on the puck.

Offensive Game: Hughes has excellent vision and playmaking ability, as well as the hockey sense to almost always make the right play. He seems to think the game and anticipate plays better than others out there on the ice. With his skating and stickhandling ability, Hughes is not afraid to skate the puck out of his zone or lead the rush. He can also make a long pass to start the transition game and start an odd-man rush. He has the passing ability and the hockey IQ to quarterback the play from the point. Hughes has the poise to make plays under pressure. He has a good arsenal of shots. His wrist shot is strong and accurate and features a quick release. He uses it often when trailing the play on the rush, or when pressured by shot blockers. He also has a hard and accurate slap shot.

Defensive Game: Hughes' defensive game is based on this anticipation and ability to quickly transition the puck out of his own zone. The size is a liability as Hughes can be outmuscled in his own end. He needs to be quick on the puck on dump-ins, as well as using a good stick check to steal pucks from attackers. Hughes will continue to need work in his own end, perfecting his positioning, and reading the play in order to maximize his potential. He could also add some muscle to his frame.

Projection and Comparison: Hughes can be an elite offensive and puck-moving defenseman at the next level. He should quarterback the power play and lead the rush. The defensive game is a question mark, and how much he can improve in the next couple of years will determine if he is a first pairing defenseman at even strength or more of a second pairing player. Hughes will likely head back to college for his sophomore season, as he is probably not going to be NHL ready this fall. His game is reminiscent of Ryan Ellis of the Nashville Predators.

1 hour ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Just wondrin' 

Yeah, I saw the same thing. He's not a local kid. He is local NOW, as in his first year in college at that school. Still, Holland does love his USDL players.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/news/nhl-draft-2018-quinn-hughes-highlights-projected-position-world-championship-performance-usa-ntdp/z75dnus48r4g1gfsgqzv3rpl5

Another Hughes article for anyone interested. Has a lot of quotes from a former coach of his praising him (shocking, I know). 

They did mess up and mention that Hughes played at Michigan last year, “40 Miles east of the Red Wings rink.” Wasn’t aware UofM relocated to Canada :P 

Apparently, in one of his latest “Bobcast” pod casts, Bob McKenzie speaks about Jesperi Kotkaniemi being ranked in the top 5 by multiple NHL scouts. 

Montreal is very much in need of a center too. We could potentially have a shot at Zedina without trading up. If he or Tkachuk falls to us at 6, do we take one of them and worry about drafting defense later?