• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

LeftWinger

Official 2018 NHL Amateur Entry Draft Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

3 minutes ago, amato said:

Apparently, in one of his latest “Bobcast” pod casts, Bob McKenzie speaks about Jesperi Kotkaniemi being ranked in the top 5 by multiple NHL scouts. 

Montreal is very much in need of a center too. We could potentially have a shot at Zedina without trading up. If he or Tkachuk falls to us at 6, do we take one of them and worry about drafting defense later? 

We're taking Jesperi Kotkaniemi, I guarantee it

3 minutes ago, amato said:

Apparently, in one of his latest “Bobcast” pod casts, Bob McKenzie speaks about Jesperi Kotkaniemi being ranked in the top 5 by multiple NHL scouts. 

Montreal is very much in need of a center too. We could potentially have a shot at Zedina without trading up. If he or Tkachuk falls to us at 6, do we take one of them and worry about drafting defense later? 

I don't think there's much of a chance Zadina falls all the way to 6, but Tkatchuk could definitely be there. I'd still pick Wahlstrom over Tkatchuk or Kotkaniemi if we're going forward, but I'd still lean defense first.

I really hope Holland is doing everything he can to get us another top 10 pick in this draft. Things could get interesting...

Just now, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

If we do, hopefully he’s the steal of the draft. 

Ya know, in addition to every other pick we have ever. 

1 minute ago, krsmith17 said:

I don't think there's much of a chance Zadina falls all the way to 6, but Tkatchuk could definitely be there. I'd still pick Wahlstrom over Tkatchuk or Kotkaniemi if we're going forward, but I'd still lean defense first.

I really hope Holland is doing everything he can to get us another top 10 pick in this draft. Things could get interesting...

I do like Wahlstrom a lot. And hope that too.. with so many teams rumored to be open to trading down, the price may be a litttttle more reasonable than usual too. 

Khan wrote something recently that seemed to suggest that if Bouchard is gone by 6, they will either take Kotkaniemi there or trade down and take him if he drops. Not sure if that's insider info or just Khan.

I'd still take Wahlstrom or trade down and take him if they don't like the defensemen left on the board at 6.

Edited by SwedeLundin77

1 hour ago, F.Michael said:

If I were gonna place a bet on what we'll see Holland draft at #6 - Hughes.

The kid plays in Michigan, was teammates with Larkin, and Jensen, and coached by Blashill at this past WC, and said  "Hughes told MLive.com. "I really like Coach Blashill. He is an awesome coach".

So the kid is clearly an idiot. Don't need anymore "dumb" hockey players on this team.

And yes, THIS IS SARCASM!!!

5 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Great, another name I can't pronounce. Cant't wait for the Kotkaniemi-Athanasiou-Abdelkader-Cholowski-Saarajarvi Powerplay.

22 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

So the kid is clearly an idiot. Don't need anymore "dumb" hockey players on this team.

And yes, THIS IS SARCASM!!!

Great, another name I can't pronounce. Cant't wait for the Kotkaniemi-Athanasiou-Abdelkader-Cholowski-Saarajarvi Powerplay.

Coke can yummy, And then i'll see you, Apple fritter, Chill out skis, Sorry harvey. Got it.

Edited by Wheelchairsuperhero

I think we'll take one of Bouchard or Dobson with the 6th overall, and I'm fine with either, although still leaning slightly toward Bouchard. 

The Hawks and Oilers could very likely be looking to move their picks (8 and 10 respectively) for immediate help. Hawks window is closing and the Oilers management are feeling the pressure to turn things around. Holland needs to be all over that. Athanasiou, 2018 1st round pick (VGK), 2019 2nd round pick (NYI). Bouchard and Wahlstrom.

I really want to snag Bokk if he drops. I have a feeling he could be this year's huge sleeper pick. I could see him being the next Pastrnak, late 1st round steal. I think they're very similar players as well. Supremely skilled, great hands, quick release.

I'd also like to see us to take a chance on Merkley if he drops to the 2nd round. He's one of the most talented kids in the entire draft, but will likely slip because of attitude issues. So yeah, no chance Detroit takes him...

30 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I think we'll take one of Bouchard or Dobson with the 6th overall, and I'm fine with either, although still leaning slightly toward Bouchard. 

The Hawks and Oilers could very likely be looking to move their picks (8 and 10 respectively) for immediate help. Hawks window is closing and the Oilers management are feeling the pressure to turn things around. Holland needs to be all over that. Athanasiou, 2018 1st round pick (VGK), 2019 2nd round pick (NYI). Bouchard and Wahlstrom.

I really want to snag Bokk if he drops. I have a feeling he could be this year's huge sleeper pick. I could see him being the next Pastrnak, late 1st round steal. I think they're very similar players as well. Supremely skilled, great hands, quick release.

I'd also like to see us to take a chance on Merkley if he drops to the 2nd round. He's one of the most talented kids in the entire draft, but will likely slip because of attitude issues. So yeah, no chance Detroit takes him...

I think Bokk will be someone's "reach" pick. Doubt he lasts until 30.

Speaking of 30, I wonder who Vegas' 1st round pick will be? This guy:

Image result for tatar tomas

7 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

So what I learned from this:

1. Draper will be the next GM. Really impressed with him.
  2. Draper doesn't know how many picks he has in the top 100. He kept saying 7, but he actually has 8 (which is AWESOME, BTW)
  3. There was one player the Wings interviewed that Draper REALLY likes, but he won't say who it was.
  4. The drafting of Rasmussen was as much about the interview process than anything else. They really liked his poise and answers.
  5. This will be the year to watch the draft (if you don't already), lot of fluidity, lots of stuff will happen with the 1st 5 or 10 picks. Should make for good TV.
  6. Cleary is BAAA-AAACCCKKK as Player Development Assistant.
  7. "Overripe" is a thing of the past.
  8. I am really excited about our draft this year!

9 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

So what I learned from this:

1. Draper will be the next GM. Really impressed with him.
  2. Draper doesn't know how many picks he has in the top 100. He kept saying 7, but he actually has 8 (which is AWESOME, BTW)
  3. There was one player the Wings interviewed that Draper REALLY likes, but he won't say who it was.
  4. The drafting of Rasmussen was as much about the interview process than anything else. They really liked his poise and answers.
  5. This will be the year to watch the draft (if you don't already), lot of fluidity, lots of stuff will happen with the 1st 5 or 10 picks. Should make for good TV.
  6. Cleary is BAAA-AAACCCKKK as Player Development Assistant.
  7. "Overripe" is a thing of the past.
  8. I am really excited about our draft this year!

Yeah, I think he was just thinking about those 7 picks in the top 3 rounds, not realizing that our 4th round pick will be 98th overall. Good stuff.

I really want to know who that player is. I think it could be Bouchard, and not just because that's who I want (maybe a little...). But like he mentioned with the interview process being a big thing with Rasmussen, Bouchard seemed to interview very well at the Draft Combine from the clips I've seen. Seems like a confident kid, that has the skill and size to back it up.

Cleary's been in that role for a few years now. Seems to be doing a great job.

"Overripe" better be a thing of the past...

Yup, can't wait for the draft! Hoping Holland will be very active...

15 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Yeah, I think he was just thinking about those 7 picks in the top 3 rounds, not realizing that our 4th round pick will be 98th overall. Good stuff.

I really want to know who that player is. I think it could be Bouchard, and not just because that's who I want (maybe a little...). But like he mentioned with the interview process being a big thing with Rasmussen, Bouchard seemed to interview very well at the Draft Combine from the clips I've seen. Seems like a confident kid, that has the skill and size to back it up.

I forgot to mention that like E, Dahlin was originally a Centerman. Something I didn't know previously.

I hope it is Bouchard, but I have a feeling it was Kotkaniemi. What i hope happens is they draft Bouchard at 6, and trade up a few spots from 30 and draft one of a few good centers who falls into the 20's. If they have to give up 36, that would be okay with me.

26 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Yeah, "overripe" only makes sense when you're a contender.

6 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

I forgot to mention that like E, Dahlin was originally a Centerman. Something I didn't know previously.

I hope it is Bouchard, but I have a feeling it was Kotkaniemi. What i hope happens is they draft Bouchard at 6, and trade up a few spots from 30 and draft one of a few good centers who falls into the 20's. If they have to give up 36, that would be okay with me.

Yeah, I didn't know that either.

What makes you think it was Kotkaniemi? Any reason? Or just a gut feeling?

I'm hoping we take Bouchard at 6 and move up to acquire another top 10 pick to take Wahlstrom or Kotkaniemi. The Hawks and Oilers will be looking for immediate help, so unless they think whoever will be available at 8 and 10 can make the team and make an impact right away, they may be open to trading those picks...

58 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

This. Obviously Bouchard has the on ice skills too, but his off ice confidence when he was interviewed is his quality that sticks out most for me.. especially for how young he is. He didn't sound nervous at all and thinks he can make a difference in the NHL next year. He's full of confidence. 

16 minutes ago, amato said:

This. Obviously Bouchard has the on ice skills too, but his off ice confidence when he was interviewed is his quality that sticks out most for me.. especially for how young he is. He didn't sound nervous at all and thinks he can make a difference in the NHL next year. He's full of confidence. 

Yeah, I think he has the potential to step right into the NHL this upcoming season.

Never been so amped for a draft. And the closer we get, the less confident I am on who are pick will be. Really hope that we trade a 2nd rounder and our 30th and move up somewhere in the first round. Our success with 2nd rounders hasn’t been great and with all the ammo we have there isn’t much stopping us from moving up and grabbing someone we love.

1 hour ago, Datsyukian-Deke said:

Never been so amped for a draft. And the closer we get, the less confident I am on who are pick will be. Really hope that we trade a 2nd rounder and our 30th and move up somewhere in the first round. Our success with 2nd rounders hasn’t been great and with all the ammo we have there isn’t much stopping us from moving up and grabbing someone we love.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this draft.  I hope we go D with size at 6, but I have a feeling Michigan > "need for size" and we draft Hughes.  That's a pick I feel would be a huge risk and likely a huge mistake.

27 minutes ago, mackel said:

I'm cautiously optimistic about this draft.  I hope we go D with size at 6, but I have a feeling Michigan > "need for size" and we draft Hughes.  That's a pick I feel would be a huge risk and likely a huge mistake.

Agreed. Our defense is seriously lacking size in the pipeline. Hughes is tempting just because his scouting report shows he has elite level skating, agility, and playmaking skill. I do hope we go with Bouchard or Dobson, however. 

39 minutes ago, mackel said:

I agree we def need to add size to our D but we also need to add a bonifide puck moving defenseman who has speed and can jump into the rush and make things happen. So I’m ok with Hughes or Bouchard because they both fill a need. This team lacks a true stay at home shut down defenseman, puck moving defenseman, and a pure sniper. So if we get any one of Hughes, Bouchard, or trade up for Zadina I’ll be stoked. 

Edited by Datsyukian-Deke

I don't get why anyone would want to move up from 6 to 3 in this draft. It would likely cost a ton to move up those three slots. I don't see it being worth it. There's a clear 1-2 (Dahlin-Svechnikov), and the gap has closed significantly between 3-6, and even beyond 6. You want to trade up, and give away multiple assets for a player, that could potentially be available at 6? No, it's probably not likely that Zadina slips all the way to 6, but it is a possibility. Montreal could take Kotkaniemi, Ottawa could take Hughes, Arizona could take Tkatchuk, leaving one of Zadina, Wahlstrom, Bouchard or Dobson for Detroit to pick from. Stay at 6 and try to make a trade with Chicago or Edmonton for the 8th or 10th overall. That would be my strategy.

Bob McKenzie compiles rankings from 10 NHL scouts to make his NHL Draft Rankings every year. Outside of the top 2, anything can happen. Of the 10 rankings, there are 12 different players that make the top 5. Custance has also echoed the same sentiment. There is just too little a gap between these players to make it worth moving up. Of course some scouts will have Zadina way ahead of whoever we end up picking, but there are also scouts that will have him below whoever we end up picking. It only matters where the Red Wings scouts have these players ranked, but I just can't see them justifying the huge price tag of moving up a few spots.

Unless something crazy happens, one of the dynamic guys (Hughes, Walhstrom, Boqvist) should still be around at 6.  If so, I take whoever is available (if all three are available prioritize who the scouts think has the best chance at elite status).  If not, I'd trade back (but still in the top ten), get some extra picks, and take whomever is left over out of the non-dynamic guys (Dobson, Bouchard, Tkachuk, Kotkaneimi). 

The only one I'm not crazy about is Tkachuk, but if the return got us another late first or early second rounder I'd take it.  There is going to be tons of talent in that area and I'd like to have as many bullets as I can in that range.

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

I don't get why anyone would want to move up from 6 to 3 in this draft. It would likely cost a ton to move up those three slots. I don't see it being worth it. There's a clear 1-2 (Dahlin-Svechnikov), and the gap has closed significantly between 3-6, and even beyond 6. You want to trade up, and give away multiple assets for a player, that could potentially be available at 6? No, it's probably not likely that Zadina slips all the way to 6, but it is a possibility. Montreal could take Kotkaniemi, Ottawa could take Hughes, Arizona could take Tkatchuk, leaving one of Zadina, Wahlstrom, Bouchard or Dobson for Detroit to pick from. Stay at 6 and try to make a trade with Chicago or Edmonton for the 8th or 10th overall. That would be my strategy.

Bob McKenzie compiles rankings from 10 NHL scouts to make his NHL Draft Rankings every year. Outside of the top 2, anything can happen. Of the 10 rankings, there are 12 different players that make the top 5. Custance has also echoed the same sentiment. There is just too little a gap between these players to make it worth moving up. Of course some scouts will have Zadina way ahead of whoever we end up picking, but there are also scouts that will have him below whoever we end up picking. It only matters where the Red Wings scouts have these players ranked, but I just can't see them justifying the huge price tag of moving up a few spots.

I don’t see it costing a ton at all. Montreal wants their C and doesn’t want to waste the 3rd on him. I think giving them the 6th and our 30th for 3rd would be more than adequate. They get their man and an extra pick and we get a potential super star. 

Edited by Datsyukian-Deke