• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

LeftWinger

Official 2018 NHL Amateur Entry Draft Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

8 hours ago, Andy Pred 48 said:

Kenny is gunna surprise a lot of fans on this site come the weekend, there will be movement by the Wings , I don’t foresee any FAs coming here (Green poss) so it’ll be mostly roster player movements and pick swaps but he will be active I’m sure of it 

I tend to agree with you.

This is our second year outside the playoffs, proving the problem is not a one season anomaly but an actual systemic issue that needs to be addressed.

We've managed to shed some larger contracts (Mrazek, Tatar, and possibly Green) giving us more space to maneuver underneath the cap.

We have excess picks and players rights that can be packaged in deals.

We have 2 major RFAs that need contracts. Which should be motivation enough to do any wheeling and dealing that's necessary.

I think all the conditions are right for a more excitable draft/July than usual.

12 hours ago, kipwinger said:

It's odd to me to see some many references to needing size.  While that may have been true at one point, it really isn't now. We're not noticeably smaller than most other teams, and we've drafted for size since Mantha.  We're actually pretty big going forward.  If anything, I'd say we need more skill. 

We could maybe need some size on defense. Too early yet to know if the kids we got last year will do anything, and Cholo and Hronek are both on the small side. Not that it means we need to draft size at #6, but on the other hand Bouchard at least is certainly one of the most skilled players in the entire draft. Dobson is no slouch in the skill department either. Boqvist seems to have fallen for most of the experts (though I still like him). Hughes seems to be the top guy atm, and I'd love him too, but all four look about as good as you can expect drafting 6th.

5 hours ago, amato said:

The more I read/get excited about the draft, the more I hope we can manage to get another top 10 pick. Picking Zadina/Wahlstrom and Bouchard/Hughes/Dobson is sounding better and better the more I think about it. 

Would be awesome, but trading into the top 10 typically takes a grade A asset. The only ones we have are Larkin and #6. 

Mid to late teens might be doable though, but I'm not sure anyone too good will drop that far. Some good looking players should be there in the 30s. Not much worse looking than the guys projected in the teens in my opinion.

2 hours ago, Buppy said:

We could maybe need some size on defense. Too early yet to know if the kids we got last year will do anything, and Cholo and Hronek are both on the small side. Not that it means we need to draft size at #6, but on the other hand Bouchard at least is certainly one of the most skilled players in the entire draft. Dobson is no slouch in the skill department either. Boqvist seems to have fallen for most of the experts (though I still like him). Hughes seems to be the top guy atm, and I'd love him too, but all four look about as good as you can expect drafting 6th.

Would be awesome, but trading into the top 10 typically takes a grade A asset. The only ones we have are Larkin and #6. 

Mid to late teens might be doable though, but I'm not sure anyone too good will drop that far. Some good looking players should be there in the 30s. Not much worse looking than the guys projected in the teens in my opinion.

Yeah, good points. 

From the looks of the rankings, Boqvist could drop to the teens, similar to when the leafs got Liljegren. Obviously it’ll depend on team need on draft day a little, and how accurate TSN is, but he’s a guy I wouldn’t mind us trading up around 15 spots from 30 to get. 

Agree that there are a lot of exciting picks in the 25-40 range though. But if Zadina ends up sliding to us and that’s who we go with at 6, trading to get Boqvist too would be a pretty solid first round. 

Rasmus Sandin is another solid looking defense prospect ranked in the teens. 

The thing is, according to a lot of scouts and draft analysts, Kotkaniemi isn't considered a reach at 3 anymore. He's climbed the ranks that much. So if Bergevin is smart (he's not) he should take his guys at 3, rather than trading down and risk losing their chance to draft him.

4 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

The thing is, according to a lot of scouts and draft analysts, Kotkaniemi isn't considered a reach at 3 anymore. He's climbed the ranks that much. So if Bergevin is smart (he's not) he should take his guys at 3, rather than trading down and risk losing their chance to draft him.

Yet it will probably be considered a "reach" if the Wings take him at 6   :ninja:

9 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I agree with this 100%. If I'm the Habs GM and I know for sure he's my guy, why risk someone else taking him by trading down? 

Then again, it'd be hilarious to see them trade down and whoever they trade with picking Kotkaniemi at 3  :lol:

BUF - Dahlin

CAR - Svechnikov

MTL - Kotkaniemi

OTT - Hughes

ARI - Tkatchuk

DET - ...

What do you do? A lot of teams would be calling wanting to trade up for Zadina. Do you take him at 6, or trade back? I'm probably in the minority, but I think I'd trade back, gain another asset and hope for Bouchard at 7-9. Of course it would depend on the return, but for another late 1st / early 2nd, I think it's something you'd have to consider...

Just now, krsmith17 said:

BUF - Dahlin

CAR - Svechnikov

MTL - Kotkaniemi

OTT - Hughes

ARI - Tkatchuk

DET - ...

What do you do? A lot of teams would be calling wanting to trade up for Zadina. Do you take him at 6, or trade back? I'm probably in the minority, but I think I'd trade back, gain another asset and hope for Bouchard at 7-9. Of course it would depend on the return, but for another late 1st / early 2nd, I think it's something you'd have to consider...

Yeah, it depends on the return. I would love Zadina at 6. But picking a couple spots back and adding an early 2nd, while still getting a very good prospect would be hard to pass up. It'll depend on how high the wings are on Zadina vs. whats the best offer for the pick, basically. 

BUF - Dahlin

CAR - Svechnikov

MTL - Kotkaniemi

OTT - Hughes

ARI - Tkatchuk

DET - ...

B

P

A

Seriously. I just hope Holland doesn't get cute. Take the best player at 6 and make your fancy-pants Holland draft trades later in the 1st round. 

1 minute ago, krsmith17 said:

I don't think anyone would consider it a reach at 6, but he wouldn't be my first choice. 

I know I know, you want a bif ol' scoop of vanilla, 

4 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

B

P

A

Seriously. I just hope Holland doesn't get cute. Take the best player at 6 and make your fancy-pants Holland draft trades later in the 1st round. 

I know I know, you want a bif ol' scoop of vanilla

There's no guarantee Holland and his scouts deem Zadina as BPA though. If they believe they can get their guy a couple spots back, why not "get cute"?

No idea what you mean by the bold...

There's no guarantee Holland and his scouts deem Zadina as BPA though. If they believe they can get their guy a couple spots back, why not "get cute"?

No idea what you mean by the bold...

Bouchard the Bore. Safe pick. Low risk low reward. Vanilla.

7 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Bouchard the Bore. Safe pick. Low risk low reward. Vanilla.

Couldn't disagree more on Bouchard being "low reward". He may be a "safe pick" in the sense that there's virtually no chance he's a complete bust, but he has a ceiling as high as any of the 4 defenders in my opinion.

1 minute ago, krsmith17 said:

Couldn't disagree more on Bouchard being "low reward". He may be a "safe pick" in the sense that there's virtually no chance he's a complete bust, but he has a ceiling as high as any of the 4 defenders in my opinion.

Agreed, not sure where this low reward perception is coming from. Is it simply because he's not flashy? 

4 minutes ago, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

Agreed, not sure where this low reward perception is coming from. Is it simply because he's not flashy? 

I duuno. Probably heard it from one of you guys back in March or something. 

8 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

How can you say that when his skill level doesn't even come close to Hughes? 

14 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

I duuno. Probably heard it from one of you guys back in March or something. 

How can you say that when his skill level doesn't even come close to Hughes? 

I mean, he just lead his respective league in defense points and by all accounts has all the tools you could want. What more do we need, dank dangles?

Edited by Wheelchairsuperhero
typo

45 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

BUF - Dahlin

CAR - Svechnikov

MTL - Kotkaniemi

OTT - Hughes

ARI - Tkatchuk

DET - ...

If we were lacking picks this year, yes trade down. But we are stocked with picks. Take the player. Please Holland if this opportunity presents itself, take the damn player!