• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

LeftWinger

Official 2018 NHL Amateur Entry Draft Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

5 minutes ago, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

I mean, he just lead his respective league in defense points and by all accounts has all the tools you could want. What more do we need, dank dangles?

Speed. I've heard his skating is only average. 

Listen, I've basically decided that in this draft that Bouchard, for me,  is going to be what Rasmussen was to LGWs last year. Meaning: I'm going to freak out for no informed reason if they draft him and go on and on with authority about how a couple of players taken just after him were the better choice. Let's see how annoying that gets. 

Edited by The 91 of Ryans

4 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Listen, I've basically decided that in this draft that Bouchard, for me,  is going to be what Rasmussen was to LGWs last year. Meaning: I'm going to freak out for no informed reason if they draft him and go on and on with authority about how a couple of players taken just after him were the better choice. Let's see how annoying that gets. 

Alright, that seems reasonable. I'm having trouble finding much mention of his skating, aside from some complimentary quotes on his four-way skating ability and this snippet:  'Mobile puck moving D with excellent offensive instincts & ability to read the game, ISS Hockey 2017'

The word mobile has me feeling okay about his skating. Admittedly, I'm not sure if you're even serious though. 

1 minute ago, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

Alright, that seems reasonable. I'm having trouble finding much mention of his skating, aside from some complimentary quotes on his four-way skating ability and this snippet:  'Mobile puck moving D with excellent offensive instincts & ability to read the game, ISS Hockey 2017'

The word mobile has me feeling okay about his skating. Admittedly, I'm not sure if you're even serious though. 

Is skating is ok, but it is not dank

10 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Waiting for Zadina to fall to number 6 so I can watch those who wanted Bouchard freak out that we took Bouchard

5 minutes ago, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

Booby Macs Latest Draft Rankings

7. Bouchard’s skating is said to be good, not necessarily great, but by no means a liability. Although Bouchard is less than three months older than Dobson, he is technically viewed a year older, a late 1999 birth date as opposed to 2000.

What a ringing endorsement of his skating. :glare:

I'd rather Dobson, who is ranked higher, by the way. Hell, I wanted Kotkaneimi back whe he was just inside the top 10 before he rose into the top five and everyone climbed onto his lap. 

FTR, Hughes is ranked 8th on this list, but he's a high reward pick. 

Anyway Kenny, just take the BPA. (It won't be Bouchard)

6 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Booby Macs Latest Draft Rankings

What a ringing endorsement of his skating. :glare:

I'd rather Dobson, who is ranked higher, by the way. Hell, I wanted Kotkaneimi back whe he was just inside the top 10 before he rose into the top five and everyone climbed onto his lap. 

FTR, Hughes is ranked 8th on this list, but he's a high reward pick. 

Anyway Kenny, just take the BPA. (It won't be Bouchard)

No one is saying his skating is elite, but from what I understand based on reading several different reports on him is that his lateral movement is good and he's always in the right position because of his ability to read the play at a high level. We're not going to have a team of Dylan Larkins, no one is. If the only knock is that something he does is "only good, not great..", I think it's pretty telling.

edit: I would also be okay with Dobson, but imo Bouchard's poise is a step above the other D prospects and that's what attracts me.

Edited by Wheelchairsuperhero

This is how Friday will go, with the first overall pick the Buffalo Sabres are pleased to select from the SHL Rasmus Dahlin. With the second overall pick the Carolina Hurricanes take from the OHL Andrei Svechnikov. Then the dwarf gets up and announces "we have a trade" and all hell brakes loose as people wonder what wisdom Bergevin is going to come up with now! 

46 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

How can you say that when his skill level doesn't even come close to Hughes? 

Doesn't come close? Yeah okay... 

He's been regarded as one of the best passers in the draft, has a much better shot than Hughes, better defensively, and the size and strength advantage.

What does Hughes have over Bouchard? Speed? Whatevz. By the way, the knock on his skating has been debunked by many scouts. It's not at the level of Hughes or Dobson, but is still very good.

6 minutes ago, Andy Pred 48 said:

This is how Friday will go, with the first overall pick the Buffalo Sabres are pleased to select from the SHL Rasmus Dahlin. With the second overall pick the Carolina Hurricanes take from the OHL Andrei Svechnikov. Then the dwarf gets up and announces "we have a trade" and all hell brakes loose as people wonder what wisdom Bergevin is going to come up with now! 

Everyone is now saying Bergevin WILL take Kotkaniemi and he wants to move back a few spots.... and here we are at #6... a few spots back...

Detroit trades #6 and a 2nd round pick in 2019 for Montreals #3

Buffalo selects Rasmus Dahlin

Carolina Selects Filip Zadina

Detroit selects Lil Svechling bro

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

If  Kenny can somehow get Zadina and a high D  prospect in Samuelsson or Alexeyev I will need to lie down for a long time. This draft could actually be the start of us doing something meaningful in the rebuild. 

9 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Everyone is now saying Bergevin WILL take Kotkaniemi and he wants to move back a few spots.... and here we are at #6... a few spots back...

Detroit trades #6 and a 2nd round pick in 2019 for Montreals #3

Buffalo selects Rasmus Dahlin

Carolina Selects Filip Zadina

Detroit selects Lil Svechling bro

Uhhhhh. What aboot Boucherd?

11 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Doesn't come close? Yeah okay... 

He's been regarded as one of the best passers in the draft, has a much better shot than Hughes, better defensively, and the size and strength advantage.

What does Hughes have over Bouchard? Speed? Whatevz. By the way, the knock on his skating has been debunked by many scouts. It's not at the level of Hughes or Dobson, but is still very good.

Hughes is the most dynamic offensive Dman in the draft. Like hands ******* down.  All 'Bore"chard has over Hughes is size, strength, and facial stubble. But guess what? Once he starts playing against men his true vanilla will be coned for all to lick. Book it. 

3 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Hughes is the most dynamic offensive Dman in the draft. Like hands ******* down.  All 'Bore"chard has over Hughes is size, strength, and facial stubble. But guess what? Once he starts playing against men his true vanilla will be coned for all to lick. Book it. 

I'm a Hughes guy now

Just now, The 91 of Ryans said:

I like Hughes quite a bit, but I'll take the guy who's capable of scoring at this point in time over Hughes' assists. You conveniently left out that Bouchard, aside from his sick stubble, can actually score a goal too. 

3 minutes ago, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

I like Hughes quite a bit, but I'll take the guy who's capable of scoring at this point in time over Hughes' assists. You conveniently left out that Bouchard, aside from his sick stubble, can actually score a goal too. 

So could Ryan Sproul..........

4 minutes ago, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

I'll take a guy who can, if he reaches his upside, dominate the entire flow of a game with skating and possession over a big strong OHLer who can make an outlet pass and is "pretty good" at a bunch of stuff. Bouchard will NEVER get to the level that Hughes can.  

5 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

So could Ryan Sproul..........

I'll take a guy who can, if he reaches his upside, dominate the entire flow of a game with skating and possession over a big strong OHLer who can make an outlet pass and is "pretty good" at a bunch of stuff. Bouchard will NEVER get to the level that Hughes can.  

You and Holland only like Hughes cause he went to Michigan

3 minutes ago, TLGTrico said:

So, can anyone name an undersized defenseman who is a legit 1d in the NHL?

Erik Karlsson comes to mind.

You're also trying to beg a question under the pretense that anyone other than Dahlin will be a #1D. When in reality the ceiling for most of the top ten picks is "first pair D". 

Edited by The 91 of Ryans

1 minute ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Cool. So 50/50. 

Except that Bouchard is better. 

I'd say 33.3 / 33.3 / 33.3 who is taken first between Hughes / Bouchard / Dobson. I'd prefer Bouchard. You'd prefer Hughes. Cool. :ok: