• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

LeftWinger

Official 2018 NHL Amateur Entry Draft Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

24 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

So could Ryan Sproul..........

I'll take a guy who can, if he reaches his upside, dominate the entire flow of a game with skating and possession over a big strong OHLer who can make an outlet pass and is "pretty good" at a bunch of stuff. Bouchard will NEVER get to the level that Hughes can.  

Comparing a second round pick to a top 10 pick, seems reasonable. They're not comparable players. Bouchard is "pretty good" at one thing, everything else has been highly praised. IMO their ceilings are similar, but I see one as having a significantly better chance of actually reaching it than the other. It's clear you won't be convinced though and are pretty single track minded, so in that case, Wheelchairsuperhero OUT!

Edited by Wheelchairsuperhero
grammar

Just now, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

Comparing a second round pick to a top 10 pick, seems reasonable. They're not comparable players. Bouchard is "pretty good" at one thing, everything else has been highly praised. IMO they're ceilings are similar, but I see one as having a significantly better chance of actually reaching it than the other. It's clear you won't be convinced though and are pretty single track minded, so in that case, Wheelchairsuperhero OUT!

I know. It's pretty annoying isn't it. 

On 6/5/2018 at 3:51 AM, LeftWinger said:

IF HOLLAND IS DUMB ENOUGH TO TAKE MCISSAC AT 6 ILL BE USING WINGS JERSEYS FOR FUEL AT MY 4TH OF JULY BBQ

Lol it's not even Friday yet and you're already losing it!!

*sigh* I can't pretend. It's just not the same without him. He needs to get his rear back here before Friday or this is gonna be the most boring draft ever

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

It's like trying to convince a kid that the new hamster is just as good as the old one. 

@The 91 of Ryans we appreciate the effort, but it's just not the same. 

Also, composite rankings:

Filip Zadina 3.06
Brady Tkachuk 5.24
Oliver Wahlstrom 6.65
Quinton Hughes 6.88
Adam Boqvist 7.41
Noah Dobson 9.29
Evan Bouchard 9.59
Jesperi Kotkaniemi 11.00

Maybe the best top-10 we've seen since...I don't know...before the Wings were bad enough to bother looking at the top-10.

Watch, like seven of them are going to bust now.

14 minutes ago, Buppy said:

It's like trying to convince a kid that the new hamster is just as good as the old one. 

Filip Zadina 3.06
Brady Tkachuk 5.24
Oliver Wahlstrom 6.65
Quinton Hughes 6.88
Adam Boqvist 7.41
Noah Dobson 9.29
Evan Bouchard 9.59
Jesperi Kotkaniemi 11.00

Maybe the best top-10 we've seen since...I don't know...before the Wings were bad enough to bother looking at the top-10.

Don't patronize me!

At least I have a pulse...

14 hours ago, Buppy said:

We could maybe need some size on defense. Too early yet to know if the kids we got last year will do anything, and Cholo and Hronek are both on the small side. Not that it means we need to draft size at #6, but on the other hand Bouchard at least is certainly one of the most skilled players in the entire draft. Dobson is no slouch in the skill department either. Boqvist seems to have fallen for most of the experts (though I still like him). Hughes seems to be the top guy atm, and I'd love him too, but all four look about as good as you can expect drafting 6th.

I agree with the "could maybe" part.  Assuming most of the guys we drafted late last year (many of whom were gigantic), we're still looking at Cholowski who's up to 6'2 and over 200 lbs, Sambrook (6'2, 200), Sulak (6'2, 200), Lindstrom (6'2, 200), some of these are projections of course.  Hronek, Hicketts, and Saarijarvi are smaller for sure though.  While that first set of guys aren't huge, they're all above average by NHL standards.  I'm definitely not opposed to taking a bigger defenseman, espacially with our late 1st or early 2nd rounders, I don't know that we're so small on the back end that size needs to be a priority with our early 1st.  I'd still much rather we take someone with elite level offensive upside. 

Edited by kipwinger

2 minutes ago, Buppy said:

Filip Zadina 3.06
Brady Tkachuk 5.24
Oliver Wahlstrom 6.65
Quinton Hughes 6.88
Adam Boqvist 7.41
Noah Dobson 9.29
Evan Bouchard 9.59
Jesperi Kotkaniemi 11.00

It's settled, we're taking the Tkachuk brat

tkachuk_brady_hs.jpg?width=300

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcToyAXUBg6Oo7zco5hnFMl

He's already got the smug "I'm gonna cross-check Drew Doughty in the face" look down

Why Keith? Why did you have to raise your boys to be evil??

Anyway, I'm sure he'll fit right in

41 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

I agree with the "could maybe" part.  Assuming most of the guys we drafted late last year (many of whom were gigantic), we're still looking at Cholowski who's up to 6'2 and over 200 lbs, Sambrook (6'2, 200), Sulak (6'2, 200), Lindstrom (6'2, 200), some of these are projections of course.  Hronek, Hicketts, and Saarijarvi are smaller for sure though.  While that first set of guys aren't huge, they're all above average by NHL standards.  I'm definitely not opposed to taking a bigger defenseman, espacially with our late 1st or early 2nd rounders, I don't know that we're so small on the back end that size needs to be a priority with our early 1st.  I'd still much rather we take someone with elite level offensive upside. 

Sambrook is no longer Red Wings property, and will re-enter the draft.

13 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Sambrook is no longer Red Wings property, and will re-enter the draft.

They've decided they're not going to sign him?  I just had heard they needed to before training camp.

Edit:  Looks like you're right.  Hmmm. Oh well, must be he stalled.  I really hadn't watched him or anything.

Edited by kipwinger

1 hour ago, kipwinger said:

They've decided they're not going to sign him?  I just had heard they needed to before training camp.

Edit:  Looks like you're right.  Hmmm. Oh well, must be he stalled.  I really hadn't watched him or anything.

Yeah, I was hopeful he'd develop into a solid bottom pairing defenseman, and was kind of surprised to see the organization give up on him so early. Disappointing, but probably not a huge loss.

This is how we do it
It's Friday night, and I feel alright
The party is here on the West side
So I reach for my 40 and I turn it up
Designated driver take the keys to my truck
Hit the shore 'cause I'm faded
Honeys in the street say, "Monty, yo we made it!"
It feels so good in my hood tonight
The summertime skirts and the guys in Kani
All the gang bangers forgot about the drive-by
You gotta get your groove on, before you go get paid
So tip up your cup and throw your hands up