LeftWinger

Official 2018 NHL Amateur Entry Draft Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

4 hours ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Don't patronize me!

At least I have a pulse...

Is that a dead hamster joke? Sicko.

4 hours ago, kipwinger said:

I agree with the "could maybe" part.  Assuming most of the guys we drafted late last year (many of whom were gigantic), we're still looking at Cholowski who's up to 6'2 and over 200 lbs, Sambrook (6'2, 200), Sulak (6'2, 200), Lindstrom (6'2, 200), some of these are projections of course.  Hronek, Hicketts, and Saarijarvi are smaller for sure though.  While that first set of guys aren't huge, they're all above average by NHL standards.  I'm definitely not opposed to taking a bigger defenseman, espacially with our late 1st or early 2nd rounders, I don't know that we're so small on the back end that size needs to be a priority with our early 1st.  I'd still much rather we take someone with elite level offensive upside. 

I should correct myself; no, we don't need size but it would be nice to have some more.

More importantly is that I think Bouchard does have elite offensive upside. Like Brent Burns if all goes well, Weber-level the more conservative peak, and Boychuk at the low end. Hughes seems like he'll be more dependent on his teammates and the system he's in, but I'd predict a somewhat similar range in scoring: 30-70 pts. Dobson is probably the guy with the least offensive skill, like 50-ish pts peak but pairing that with the best all-around game. If I had to choose I'd still go with Boqvist due to his age, but I think they all look great and could all be elite players. 

1 hour ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:
This is how we do it
It's Friday night, and I feel alright
The party is here on the West side
So I reach for my 40 and I turn it up
Designated driver take the keys to my truck
Hit the shore 'cause I'm faded
Honeys in the street say, "Monty, yo we made it!"
It feels so good in my hood tonight
The summertime skirts and the guys in Kani
All the gang bangers forgot about the drive-by
You gotta get your groove on, before you go get paid
So tip up your cup and throw your hands up
And let me hear the party say
I'm kinda buzzed and it's all because
(This is how we do it)

Nice. 

This is more what I'm feelin

Edited by The 91 of Ryans

You should never draft for size, but all else being equal, I'll take the bigger guy every time. Hughes and Bouchard don't really have many similarities in style of play, but in overall potential, I think they're on the same level. I think Bouchard has the better chance of reaching his ceiling because of the size advantage. Just my personal opinion.

Craig Button is echoing the same sentiment as McKenzie along with many other draft analysts. The disparity between players ranked from 3 to around 7 or so is so minimal that he believes teams in that range could be putting more weight into positional need, and thinks Detroit will take one of Hughes, Dobson or Bouchard.

12 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Yeah, I was hopeful he'd develop into a solid bottom pairing defenseman, and was kind of surprised to see the organization give up on him so early. Disappointing, but probably not a huge loss.

Another Wings D prospect flameout. Keep up the great work, scouts.

17 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

https://theathletic.com/398013/2018/06/19/corey-pronmans-2018-nhl-mock-draft-who-goes-after-rasmus-dahlin/

Pronman just came out with his mock draft and has us taking Evan Bouchard and Isac Lundestrom in the first round.

Yup. And Chris Peters from ESPN has them taking Hughes. 

3 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Chris Peters? Never heard of him... Oh, ESPN, makes sense... :tounge2:

Who does he have us taking 30th overall?

Guess who Corey Pronman used to work for? :lol:

Ryan McLeod. Center. Size. Good skater. Fits Wright's recent m/o Questionable upside.

Just now, The 91 of Ryans said:

Guess who Corey Pronman used to work for? :lol:

Ryan McLeod. Center. Size. Good skater. Fits Wright's recent m/o Questionable upside.

Key there, "used to"... The Athletic > ESPN Trash... ;)

I'm not that high on McLeod, but I'd take him at 30 for sure.

8 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Ice cube sucks just as much as montell jordan, whoever that is

I don't care what you say about stuff, this Friday's going to be the Art Basel of hockey times!

1 minute ago, krsmith17 said:

Key there, "used to"... The Athletic > ESPN Trash... ;)

I'm not that high on McLeod, but I'd take him at 30 for sure.

Yeah. it seems they've upgraded to Peters :ninja:

But yes, I'm aware of how awesome ESPN is. 

7 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Seems you and I are still in our "getting reacquainted" phase

Haha I'm only messing with you. I honestly have no idea on the quality work ESPN put out. I know they were always lower quality when it came to hockey, but I'm sure they've come a long way over the years. The Athletic puts out great content though. Highly recommend.

As for the Hughes vs Bouchard debate, to be honest, I'd be happy with either, I just slightly lean more toward Bouchard. 

2 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Haha I'm only messing with you. I honestly have no idea on the quality work ESPN put out. I know they were always lower quality when it came to hockey, but I'm sure they've come a long way over the years. The Athletic puts out great content though. Highly recommend.

As for the Hughes vs Bouchard debate, to be honest, I'd be happy with either, I just slightly lean more toward Bouchard. 

You pay that subscription fee? :lol:

Also, I agree. Pumped for whoever they take at 6. (unless it's Jared McIssac)

Edited by The 91 of Ryans

4 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

It all makes sense now...

Wut? As if you don't visit those sites. I'm only gleaning the facts from them. In fact, I cringe at their editorial comments usually. Especiall the Wiim folks. They remind me alot of you guys here at LGWs :lol:

ANYWAY, all the awesome stuff I say it 100 per cent O-rig-i-nal.

4 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

I quit ESPN when the "P" went from Programming to Political.

Wish we could get TSN where I live, but NBC and NHL Network are the only other choices.

In Canada, Sportsnet > TSN when it comes to the NHL