• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

LeftWinger

Official 2018 NHL Amateur Entry Draft Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

22 minutes ago, Datsyukian-Deke said:

If the draft goes as follows, who do the wings take. Bouchard, Tkachuk? 

1) Dalhin 

2) Svech 

3) Kotkeniemi 

4) Hughes

5) Zadina

6)???

Bouchard. If Z 2.0 is gone, you gotta go D.

15 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

What do u have against truculence and gumption?

Those are just words that people use when "skill" doesn't apply. It's the hockey equivalent of "she has a nice personality".

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

7 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

I look at him as a potential 30 plus goal scorer (sumthin this team hasn't had in a few plus years), and as CRL rightfully pointed out - a kid with a chip on his shoulders that gets the fans outta their seats (also sumthin that this team hasn't had in a few plus years) courtesy of his chippy play.

All this said - I'd be shocked if he was available when the Wings draft, and even more shocked if the Wings were to pass on him.

Then again - I have a 'soft spot' for 80's/90's era power forward types.

Id MUCH rather watch a losing Wings team with a Tkachuk type on it

Hell id much rather watch a winning Wings team with a Tkachuk on it

And you dont have to play like soft baby s*** in order to be good

54 minutes ago, Datsyukian-Deke said:

1) Dalhin 

2) Svech 

3) Kotkeniemi 

4) Hughes

5) Zadina

6)???

dobson or whalstrom .... like the fact that dobson can play all facets of the game and log a ton of ice time and has the size (he'll bulk up)

also like whalstrom more i think of it , can see him playing with larkin, see him as a future first line player 30-40 goal guy and dont know if we can pass that up

future top 2 line wingers can be mantha,rasmussen,whalstrom and svechnikov ... looks pretty good 

1 hour ago, Datsyukian-Deke said:

1) Dalhin 

2) Svech 

3) Kotkeniemi 

4) Hughes

5) Zadina

6)???

Tkachuk for me. Wouldn’t be upset with Bouchard or Dobson though 

9 hours ago, Datsyukian-Deke said:

1) Dalhin 

2) Svech 

3) Kotkeniemi 

4) Hughes

5) Zadina

6)???

Order of preference for me... Bouchard, Wahlstrom, Tkatchuk, Dobson.

Just curious what people here think of Ryan Merkley. He's a top 5 talent offensively; thinks the game well, great skater, great hands, phenomenal passer, but is mediocre defensively and is said to have some "off ice issues". Because of this, I doubt the Wings would have any interest in him, but I think a kid that talented could be worth the gamble with one of our 30, 33, 36 picks (if he's still available). Merkley seems to be the definition of boom or bust potential. All the skill in the world, but may never put it all together, due to a "poor attitude"... Is this being overstated or is there legit reason for concern? I don't know, but coaches and teammates seem to talk highly of him. Not like they're going to bash him though... But if it's not coming from the people closest to him, I'd like to know where all the negative exposure is coming from... Is he worth the risk? I personally think he is, but know the Red Wings likely think otherwise.

10 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Just curious what people here think of Ryan Merkley. He's a top 5 talent offensively; thinks the game well, great skater, great hands, phenomenal passer, but is mediocre defensively and is said to have some "off ice issues". Because of this, I doubt the Wings would have any interest in him, but I think a kid that talented could be worth the gamble with one of our 30, 33, 36 picks (if he's still available). Merkley seems to be the definition of boom or bust potential. All the skill in the world, but may never put it all together, due to a "poor attitude"... Is this being overstated or is there legit reason for concern? I don't know, but coaches and teammates seem to talk highly of him. Not like they're going to bash him though... But if it's not coming from the people closest to him, I'd like to know where all the negative exposure is coming from... Is he worth the risk? I personally think he is, but know the Red Wings likely think otherwise.

I’d take a chance on Merkley with one of those picks if he’s available. I don’t know much about the kids attitude but his offensive ability might be close to the best in this draft. Im a big fan of having defenseman that can skate and handle the puck to get out of trouble.

On 6/19/2018 at 2:40 PM, LeftWinger said:

Chicago is asking teams to take Hossa and they will give away the #8 to a team willing to do so.  I know you watched to expansion draft, this is how that kind of thing works.

Detroit has too much dead money already, they can't take Hossa

23 hours ago, Dabura said:

Translation: "I've been cheating on LGW with WIIM."

There's a special place in Heck for hockey forum traitors. Just sayin'.

(Welcome back.)

God no.  WIIM is hockey hell

Listening to Craig Button on the Red & White Authority right now... here's his general opinions on our draft:

• Bouchard - Like Larry Murphy, and he's big, which is an element the Red Wings would like to add to the defensive prospect pool.
  • Dobson - Complete 3 zone player. Also big. Extremely high compete level. Plays efficiently allowing him to eat big minutes (like a top pairing guy)
  • Boqvist - Really good offensively, Karlsson style, but has compete level issues (Button really soured me on this player)
  • Hughes - Button seems to love Hughes, gave him very glowing praise, incredibly skilled and confident with the puck on his stick, going to be a go-to guy in the NHL one day
  • Zadina - Can score from all areas of the ice, cant go wrong here. Button doesn't believe Zadina will be there when we draft.
  • Tkachuk - Has all the intangibles, hard nosed, very good at making plays in tight, understands the temperature of the game and elevates his game accordingly in big moments, makes life incredibly difficult on opponents.
  • Hayton - Reminds Button of Bergeron in terms of style of play. He's never out of position.
  • Wahlstrom - incredibly hard shot, incredibly quick release, incredibly good accuracy. Button believes he may end up the best goal scorer of this draft.
  • Kotkaniemi - Reminds button of Kopitar. He simply does it all. You're getting a good player.

Button believes we will take one of Bouchard, Dobson, or Hughes with the 6th pick, and then a center (he specifically mentions Ty Dellandrea out of Flint) with the 30th. However, if we take a forward with the 6th, Button believes we will draft a Dman (he specifically mentions Nils Lundkvist out of Sweden) with the 30th.

Nils Lundkvist sounds especially intriguing to me. He's a 17 year old Dman that shoots right.

I came away from Buttons interview really liking Hughes and Tkachuk...

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

5 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Listening to Craig Button on the Red & White Authority right now... here's his general opinions on our draft:

Yeah, I listened a couple nights ago. Also read the article this morning...

https://www.nhl.com/redwings/news/red-wings-looking-to-shore-up-blue-line-and-center-position/c-299140492

I really think our first pick is going to come down to Bouchard or Hughes. 

Dellandrea is a player I'm hoping slips to the 2nd round, but I can see him going in the mid-20's.

1 minute ago, F.Michael said:

AA is 1 of a handful of guys who can keep up with McJesus.

Wonder if Chiapet will find anyone willing to take on the 'Nutcracker' aka Lucic?

I doubt it. That is one horrendous contract. I'd love to get the 10th overall pick, but if it meant taking on Lucic, I'd probably pass...

Just now, F.Michael said:

As I mentioned before - me thinks it'll be Hughes.

Plays at Michigan - played with Larkin/Jensen - was coached by Blashill.

Seems inevitable.

I hope not. At least I hope that's not the reason we'd draft Hughes... No matter how the top 5 goes, Hughes will be 2nd, 3rd or 4th on my wish list...

I'd personally prefer Bouchard, Wahlstrom and Kotkaniemi over Hughes.

I think my wish list order is: 

Zadina 

Wahlstrom

Hughes 

Tkachuk 

Bouchard 

Dobson 

I would be pretty equally happy with any of these guys. Pretty stoked for this draft. Also, I’m glad to see Dellandrea and Lundkvist potentially on our radar at 30. Those are a couple of the guys that sound good to me in that range. 

3 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

IMHO - Lucic wouldn't be so bad as a Wing (even better if we drafted Tkachuk - 2 bad boys on the Wings), but ONLY if Chiarelli ate 75%  of the contract.

Just imagine...Tkachuk goads an opponent into a fracas - only to be speared in the gonads by Lucic...

And opposing fans would say: "The Red Wings are no good, dirty, pieces of s***!!"

And I'd say: "YES... YES WE ARE"

2 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

IMHO - Lucic wouldn't be so bad as a Wing (even better if we drafted Tkachuk - 2 bad boys on the Wings), but ONLY if Chiarelli ate 75%  of the contract.

Just imagine...Tkachuk goads an opponent into a fracas - only to be speared in the gonads by Lucic...

The most a team can be retain on a contract is 50%, and the reason Edmonton want to trade Lucic is to shed salary. They're not going to eat half, and even if they were willing to eat 25% (I don't think they would), we'd still have a $4.5M player for 6 more seasons (until he's 36) that probably won't be worth half that in 2-3 years time...