• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

LeftWinger

Official 2018 NHL Amateur Entry Draft Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

22 minutes ago, brett said:

really could care less just like every other year

yay we have a top ten pick which we wont see in the big league for another 3-4 years/ disappointing to fail so hard and still wont get any help

i get it holland has to rebuild the team younger. i dont think hes capable. ala Edmonton.

you got larkin mantha AA for future IMO none of them will be top 30-40-50 in league ever. dont consider them go to guys or game changers no future on the back end. i keep hearing about this guy and that guy from the griffins but if they were so good theyd be up here so doubt theres too much future there unless its a 5-6-7 guy

no one wants to come to detroit anymore. holland couldnt make a good trade to save his liife and a ton of bad contracts.

expect to be in the bottom 10 next couple years unless a miracle happens

The last 2 whole seasons prove that statement wrong.

I knew the vibes around the board were too upbeat and positive today. Thank you Brett for your complete lack of joy. People like you even us out.

15 minutes ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

just curious  since hes a b.c kid   would anyone trade rasmussen to vancouver   for the 7th if possible ???? we can then land whalstrom and dobson/bouchard 

Interesting thought. Depends on who it is. Do they look like they'll be better than Ras already projects to be? I still wouldn't do it tho. Trading one building block to acquire another seems like it wouldn't really help the rebuild. Besides, Holland likes kicking tires, not spinning them. :lol:

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

16 minutes ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

just curious  since hes a b.c kid   would anyone trade rasmussen to vancouver   for the 7th if possible ???? we can then land whalstrom and dobson/bouchard 

All that does is set our timeline back further, and seeing as hes probably our best draft pick outside of Larkin and Mantha since 1999-2000, no I wouldnt. 

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

1 hour ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

How often do the kids with attitude/behavioral issues work out well for the team that drafts them tho?

How often do kids with attitude/behavioural issues have that much skill though? I'd definitely take a gamble on him with one of our three picks, 30, 33, 36. I get why people would be hesitant though. Real boom or bust player.

You had my attention at @carleykjohnston.

I know right? :wub:

Newfoundland and ur weird 30 minute time zone.

I know right? :crazy:

1 hour ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

All that does is set our timeline back further, and seeing as hes probably our best draft pick outside of Larkin and Mantha since 1999-2000, no I wouldnt. 

fair enough ... i just think mostly everyones going nuts cause hes 7 feet , rather of had brannstrom or liljgren last yr and personally id be down with moving him if possible to land a whalstrom and dobson/bouchard or whalstrom and tkachuk/zadina(if they dropped)

anyways canucks are in with hanifin with that pick apparently and doubt our gm would even consider trading rasmussen 

1 hour ago, brett said:

really could care less just like every other year

yay we have a top ten pick which we wont see in the big league for another 3-4 years/ disappointing to fail so hard and still wont get any help

i get it holland has to rebuild the team younger. i dont think hes capable. ala Edmonton.

you got larkin mantha AA for future IMO none of them will be top 30-40-50 in league ever. dont consider them go to guys or game changers no future on the back end. i keep hearing about this guy and that guy from the griffins but if they were so good theyd be up here so doubt theres too much future there unless its a 5-6-7 guy

no one wants to come to detroit anymore. holland couldnt make a good trade to save his liife and a ton of bad contracts.

expect to be in the bottom 10 next couple years unless a miracle happens

We've had one top 10 pick (2017 - Michael Rasmussen) in the past 20+ years, and it looks like he's going to make the team out of camp this year (one year after being drafted).

Whoever we take 6th overall this year will have a legit shot at making the team out of camp this year, and if he doesn't, will be a shoo-in next season. 

Larkin ranked 56th in the league in points among forwards (top 30 among centers) this season, at the age of 21. He most certainly will be a top 50 player. I may be in the minority, but I think Mantha will be a top 50 winger as well. Those are just a couple bright spots. We do need some elite talent, but what do you expect when you haven't had a top 5 pick in 25+ years? We're heading in the right direction, we just need to continue to build through the draft, and get younger. Stay the course.

19 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

How often do kids with attitude/behavioural issues have that much skill though? I'd definitely take a gamble on him with one of our three picks, 30, 33, 36. I get why people would be hesitant though. Real boom or bust player.

I know right? :wub:

I know right? :crazy:

talking about ryan merkley???? if so id take a shot but wed have to trade saarjarvi maybe in a package deal or something ... dont want too many shorties back there lol hronek cholowski merkley in the back at 6feet and under would be enough ... wed then have to add like samuelsson to help offset the shortyness 

9 minutes ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

talking about ryan merkley???? if so id take a shot but wed have to trade saarjarvi maybe in a package deal or something ... dont want too many shorties back there lol hronek cholowski merkley in the back at 6feet and under would be enough ... wed then have to add like samuelsson to help offset the shortyness 

Cholowski and Hronek are listed at 6'1", 6'0" respectively, and both should be around 190-195lbs. by the time they fully develop. That's not big by any stretch, but I wouldn't really consider it "small" either. Merkley will likely develop into a similar stature (maybe slightly smaller). I don't think Saarijarvi ever even makes the NHL, let alone be worth much of anything in a trade package.

I agree that we shouldn't draft all smallish defensemen, but really, the only two really small defensemen we have, Hicketts and Saarijarvi are both on the bubble.

1 minute ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Fellow East Coaster 

Can I just say I love me some

Nice. Ever been? Where are you from?

5 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Cholowski and Hronek are listed at 6'1", 6'0" respectively, and both should be around 190-195lbs. by the time they fully develop. That's not big by any stretch, but I wouldn't really consider it "small" either. Merkley will likely develop into a similar stature (maybe slightly smaller). I don't think Saarijarvi ever even makes the NHL, let alone be worth much of anything in a trade package.

I agree that we shouldn't draft all smallish defensemen, but really, the only two really small defensemen we have, Hicketts and Saarijarvi are both on the bubble.

Nice. Ever been? Where are you from?

Was there once. Cornerbrook.

I dwell in Canada's smallest province. 

7 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Was there once. Cornerbrook.

I dwell in Canada's smallest province. 

Corner Brook is meh. Don't tell me you came here and never hit up George Street?...

PEI eh? Been there several times. Just last summer. Beautiful spot. 

2 hours ago, xault said:

I know we really need D. But, I really want someone that can score some damn goals. Too many hands of stone on this team. Anyone in that Hossa range of skill possible at our pick? 

The team would score more if we had capable dmen. Just sayin'.

3 hours ago, xault said:

I know we really need D. But, I really want someone that can score some damn goals. Too many hands of stone on this team. Anyone in that Hossa range of skill possible at our pick? 

Well Zadina may slip. If not him Wahlstrom is said to be the best goal scorer in this draft and should be available at 6.

9 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Corner Brook is meh. Don't tell me you came here and never hit up George Street?...

PEI eh? Been there several times. Just last summer. Beautiful spot. 

Had a chance to do to St John's last fall for work stuff. We also had a baby due in 2 - 3 weeks. I chose to stay closer to home. 

ANYWAY, enough of that. 

Draft Day.jpg

Edited by The 91 of Ryans

so apparently the islanders will be trading one of their picks for nhl ready bodys if they get the sense tavares will come back  

nyquist  and maybe we can convince one of daley/ericsson to waive? + a later pick?? (yes i know ericsson daley sucks but im sure they are better thought of across the league)

Edited by nyqvististhefuture

6 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Not sure how I feel about this

Free Press Link

I think I'd want more maybe.........

Depending on who was left on the board, how many spots we move back, and the return, I'd consider it. They have to listen to offers, but I think we stay pat and draft BPA at 6.

8 minutes ago, Datsyukian-Deke said:

Happy Draft Day Fellas! Hope you guys will be as drunk as i will be once the draft starts. 

I will be...

Enjoy the event! I'm sure it'll be a pretty cool experience.

I'd be so stoked if Zadina fell to us at #6, But i just don't see that happening unless Ottawa goes D with the eventual departure of Erik Karlsson. I'd still be stoked to take either Evan Bouchard or Noah Dobson at #6 either way the Wings are going to get a quality player any ways.

Edited by LoveMyRedWings56