• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Dabura

Rumors Thread

Rate this topic

3 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Evander Kane available.

Sabers want a young player and are willing to take on salary.

Rasmussen + Nyquist + 2nd ?

Not enough?

Way too much unless you think we are winning the cup this year. Dont be such a Holland slappy.

Kidding aside, Kane is a UFA so we would be getting rid of a top 6 forward and a 2nd round pick for a rental. Not worth it for us. Buffalo is going to trade him to a contender who will overpay with picks.

Edited by kliq

11 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Agreed.  I know that Kane is an outstanding player, tho.

I do like Kane as a player (though he seems like he has attitude problems). I wouldn't mind having him here, but not as a rental.

I don't want Kane as a rental and I don't want him on a long-term, big-money deal. He's a good player, but not good enough.

Save up for the 2019 UFA class. With some big contracts set to come off the books at the end of next season, we might have a shot at signing a gamechanger.

Edited by Dabura

1 hour ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

His possession metrics are off the chart.  He would be a steal if we could unload Tatar or Nyquist.

As a rental? Or if we could sign him long term?

Edited by kliq

47 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

The 2nd.  

Getting Kane and unloading Nyquist would be a huge plus.  Holland is nowhere near savvy enough to pull this off though.

I think he's savvy enough to let Nyquist's contract expire next season (possibly flipping him at the trade deadline) and not tie himself to a $45M Evander Kane deal and go all-in for Karlsson/Doughty/Ekman-Larsson.

In a vacuum, replacing Nyquist with Kane probably makes us better. But I don't think it makes us better by all that much -- and we're not operating in a vacuum anyway. Money, term, age, cap flexibility, positions of need/priority -- these are all important considerations.

If you're the Wings, throwing money at Kane this summer would not be wise, IMO.

2 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

The 2nd.  

Getting Kane and unloading Nyquist would be a huge plus.  Holland is nowhere near savvy enough to pull this off though.

If you want Kane, the move would be to trade Nyquist for picks, then go after him in UFA.

I agree with @Dabura though, if there are 3 elite 20 something D all hitting UFA next year, we need to be ready to get into a bidding war.

All those D > Kane.

5 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

We are NOT getting any of those defensemen.  What on earth are you torturing your brain for thinking that?  A) the teams wont let them go.  B) Ken Holland.

I agree.

In my opinion:

Doughty gonna be a Leaf or staying in LA

Karlsson seems Loyal to me, I don't see him leaving OTT. His ankle also makes me scared, which has been showing up in his game as of late. The dude missing HALF of his ankle bone.. I honestly don't think we should for pay his pass achievements. Which is hard for me to say, Karlsson easily one of my top 3 favorite players the last few years. I hope I am wrong to say the least.

OEL, I can't say if I know much about him outside of stats, he plays a great offenvise game for sure. And a chance as a guy that can score 20g from the blueline hard to pass up. I guess I just don't have any faith in Holland to land him.

Edited by xault

36 minutes ago, xault said:

I agree.

In my opinion:

Doughty gonna be a Leaf or staying in LA

Karlsson seems Loyal to me, I don't see him leaving OTT. His ankle also makes me scared, which has been showing up in his game as of late. The dude missing HALF of his ankle bone.. I honestly don't think we should for pay his pass achievements. Which is hard for me to say, Karlsson easily one of my top 3 favorite players the last few years. I hope I am wrong to say the least.

OEL, I can't say if I know much about him outside of stats, he plays a great offenvise game for sure. And a chance as a guy that can score 20g from the blueline hard to pass up. I guess I just don't have any faith in Holland to land him.

Why?

I understand people's concerns with Holland, but landing UFA's has never been a weakness for him. 

If Karlsson or Doughty become available, absolutely Holland throws out huge contracts. He went after Suter who in the end tuned out to be whipped and signed in Minny. Why wouldn't he also go after Karlsson or Doughty? I'm almost certain that both those guys get re-signed to monster contracts with their current teams. They're both elite 1D and both LA and Ottawa will find the money. Even if they were available, Holland has cap issues and some GM would be willing to sign them to more than Holland can.

As for OEL, I do think there is a very good chance he reaches UFA. Arizona doesn't strike me as a team who is willing to sign such a big deal to keep him. They're in continuous rebuild mode and OEL will be 27-28 when his contract expires. He's too old for a rebuilding team to sign to a long term deal (which is exactly why the Wings shouldn't go after him). He'll sign a big deal with a team that is closer to being a legit contender.

Holland should be going after much younger defensemen. It's riskier, because they will still be unproven. But they will also be cheaper, easier to acquire, and at least they'll peak around the same time that Mantha, Larkin reach their prime.

On 12/1/2017 at 8:37 PM, kliq said:

I do like Kane as a player (though he seems like he has attitude problems). I wouldn't mind having him here, but not as a rental.

20 hours ago, kickazz said:

I’d bring in Evander Kane just to expand the diversity of the team.

I love you guys, but can we please not retread either of these roads when it comes to E. Kane.

In other Sabres news, it's possible that they're already in sell mode.  Possibly panic mode.

Whatcha all think about Ristolainen?  (Note the bolded emphasizing the unlikeliness of this move)

https://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2017/12/3/16729206/buffalo-sabres-trade-rumors-evander-kane-ryan-oreilly-rasmus-ristolainen-benoit-pouliot-sam-reinhart

If what Friedman reported is true, then even a Buffalo’s eighth overall pick from the 2013 draft is on the trade block for the Sabres. Ristolainen has been the Sabres’ workhorse on defense for the last few seasons, as the 23-year-old has put up a career-high average time on ice of 26:43 this season to lead all Buffalo skaters. While Ristolainen has crested the 40 point mark in his last two seasons of work with the Sabres, his seven points in 18 games are merely a symptom of the team’s misery this year.

Ristolainen would no doubt bring back a large return from any team, as young, high-profile defensemen aren’t often on the trade block. His contract, a six-year, $32.4 million deal, comes out to a steal of a $5.4 million AAV for what he provides to a roster. The contract expires when Ristolainen turns 27 in 2021-22, and would give a team his prime years for a solid bit of cap space. Considering Ristolainen’s place on the Sabres roster, however, Buffalo may want to think twice before trading away a young No. 1 defenseman in a panic move.

What do you think it would take to get this done?  For all the talent they have in Eichel, that team is still trash and unlikely to improve as is.

17 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

If Karlsson or Doughty become available, absolutely Holland throws out huge contracts. He went after Suter who in the end tuned out to be whipped and signed in Minny. Why wouldn't he also go after Karlsson or Doughty? I'm almost certain that both those guys get re-signed to monster contracts with their current teams. They're both elite 1D and both LA and Ottawa will find the money. Even if they were available, Holland has cap issues and some GM would be willing to sign them to more than Holland can.

As for OEL, I do think there is a very good chance he reaches UFA. Arizona doesn't strike me as a team who is willing to sign such a big deal to keep him. They're in continuous rebuild mode and OEL will be 27-28 when his contract expires. He's too old for a rebuilding team to sign to a long term deal (which is exactly why the Wings shouldn't go after him). He'll sign a big deal with a team that is closer to being a legit contender.

Holland should be going after much younger defensemen. It's riskier, because they will still be unproven. But they will also be cheaper, easier to acquire, and at least they'll peak around the same time that Mantha, Larkin reach their prime.

They'll trade OEL to a team that will sign him before letting him go for nothing

2 hours ago, DickieDunn said:

They'll trade OEL to a team that will sign him before letting him go for nothing

Good call. I'm sure they would trade him at the deadline instead of losing him for nothing. Whether or not he's a rental really depends on whether OEL wants to test free agency or not. Or whether the contender who traded for him has the cap space to re-sign him. Regardless, Doughty and Karlsson are staying put, and OEL is the only one who has a chance of making free agency.

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 1:09 AM, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

This.

14 hours ago, DickieDunn said:

And This.

We're not getting any of Doughty, Karlsson or Ekman-Larsson. Not a chance. Sure, if they did hit free agency, I'm sure Holland (if he's still here) would go all in on any of the aforementioned, but there's no way any of Los Angeles, Ottawa, or even Arizona let these studs walk for nothing. If they can't afford them (they'll find a way), they'd trade them next season, rather than let them walk in the offseason. If there's one thing Ken Holland has always done as general manager, it's throw big money at the top UFA's, unfortunately, none will hit free agency, so the only chance we'd have at any of them, is trade, and that has been a major weakness for Holland.

I've said it several times, but if we're trading for a defenseman, I'd rather go after high end potential, rather than an established high end defenseman. They're way too costly. Young un-established defensemen could be attainable if we had a GM willing to make some moves to upgrade this team...