• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Dabura

Rumors Thread

Rate this topic

3 hours ago, Richdg said:

Nope. Over the last 4 full season 2013/2014 through 2016/17 OEL has more hits and more goals. Karlsson has more assists and blocks. Karlsson plays on a much better team as well. There is no real difference between them as a player. OEL is also a year younger and bigger with no major injury history.

Now we are debating about who is better between two great players. But to say one is way better than the other is wrong. They are both great!

The biggest question is which one is available? Can we afford either one?

The problem with trading your best scoring F to get a top scoring Dman, 75% of the points that Dman produce are assists. If no one is there to put the puck in the net, what happens to their points? They go down of course. If we trade potential 35 goal scorer in Mantha to get a 20 goal scoring Dman in Karlsson we lose goals. So someone has to make up that difference. We don't have another guy in the system capable of scoring that many. We have several guys that look like 20-25 goal per year guys.

Now if I could get Karlsson for our 1st, the 1st we get for trading Green, AA, Cholowski, and say Tatar do I do it? Hell yes! I make the same deal to get OEL as well! Then I work on signing them long term.

You can play the "meh Karlsson has more assists, OEL has more goals" narrative all you want to attempt to make them sound as if they are equals, but they are not even in the same league. Karlsson is a generational player, OEL is a very good player who could end up being elite.

Since the 2013/2014 season Karlsson has 311 Points (75 goals/236 assists)

Since the 2013/2014 season OEL has 199 Points (77 goals/122 assists)

So while technically yes OEL scored 2 more goals in that time frame, Karlsson has 114 more assists. 

To say "There is no real difference between them as a player." is just so wrong.

Karlsson is a lot better than OEL.

Hopping to get the #1 overall pick and draft Dahlin is a weak strategy even if Holland was willing to go full out tank job, which he isn't.

Teams don't trade top prospects like Bean and Fabbro unless they get something of immediate value in return, something Detroit is severely lacking.  Nyquist, Tatar, Dekeyser, or anyone else they might trade (assuming Holland would even make a trade like that) won't bring one of those guys.

Don't count on getting a first for Green, assuming Holland sells at the deadline

45 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

Karlsson is a lot better than OEL.

Hopping to get the #1 overall pick and draft Dahlin is a weak strategy even if Holland was willing to go full out tank job, which he isn't.

Teams don't trade top prospects like Bean and Fabbro unless they get something of immediate value in return, something Detroit is severely lacking.  Nyquist, Tatar, Dekeyser, or anyone else they might trade (assuming Holland would even make a trade like that) won't bring one of those guys.

Don't count on getting a first for Green, assuming Holland sells at the deadline

I haven't seen anyone suggest that hoping to draft Dahlin should be our strategy... 

So if Polie feels they have a good shot at winning the Cup this year (he should), and wants to add some offensive depth for a run, you don't think he'd be willing to trade Fabbro, when they're already stacked on D with Subban, Josi, Ekholm, Ellis and Emelin? Or is it that you don't think Tatar or Nyquist would be enough? If it's not, a pick and / or prospect should be. 

Most everyone is expecting a late 1st or early 2nd (late 2nd at worst) for Green. I don't think that's at all unrealistic.

Dahlin is going first overall. The only way he is coming to Detroit is if they win the lottery and get the number one pick. No matter what, even if they finish dead last, the best chance for that to happen is like18%. So if you're strategy is to tank to get Dahlin, its not likely to payoff. So its probably not the best strategy.

Where the Wings sit right now, they have a better than 25% chance to pick in the top 3.

http://www.tankathon.com/nhl/pick_odds

22 hours ago, kliq said:

You can play the "meh Karlsson has more assists, OEL has more goals" narrative all you want to attempt to make them sound as if they are equals, but they are not even in the same league. Karlsson is a generational player, OEL is a very good player who could end up being elite.

Since the 2013/2014 season Karlsson has 311 Points (75 goals/236 assists)

Since the 2013/2014 season OEL has 199 Points (77 goals/122 assists)

So while technically yes OEL scored 2 more goals in that time frame, Karlsson has 114 more assists. 

To say "There is no real difference between them as a player." is just so wrong.

He isn't even the best Dman in the league right now. Not sure he is even the best offensive Dman in the League. Burns is. So stop with the overhype. He is a top 10 guy and so is OEL. For the past 10 year Weber has been the best overall. Now it might be Josi. All are great!

Now lets get back on point. We need help on the BL. Man do we need help. Not a single Dman from our team in the top 50 for goals, blocks, hits, or takeaways. That is weak!!!!! Only Green is there for points and he is a UFA.

So the question once again is what do we do about it? Is there much hope Holland will do anything? There are options.

1. Trade for Karlsson who may be available.

2. Trade for OEL who could be available.

3. Sign Carlson as a UFA.

4. Sign one or both of Cole and/or De Haan to improve the depth and talent.

It takes work to do any/all of this. It takes a GM with guts. Does Holland have it anymore?

Now can a combo or 2 1st round picks, tatar or AA, cholowski, and Mrazek get one of Karlsson or OEL? I don't know. Until we ask we dont know.

Yes Carlson will cost money. So what? Shattenkirk signed for 4 years with a average cap hit of 6.65 million. I would think Carlson will end up with a 7 yr/7 million per contract. Would I do it? In a heart beat! he is a legit top 50 Dman in this league, most likely a 2 not a 1. We need both.

Now just think for a minute. Holland acts and we go into next season with this as our BL corp:

OEL-Carlson

Dekeyser-Cole

Daley-Jensen

Oullett

That is pretty good. Might have become one of the top 5 units top to bottom in the league. Is it possible? yes. Willing to bet on it? Nope.

19 minutes ago, Richdg said:

He isn't even the best Dman in the league right now. Not sure he is even the best offensive Dman in the League. Burns is. So stop with the overhype. He is a top 10 guy and so is OEL. For the past 10 year Weber has been the best overall. Now it might be Josi. All are great!

Now lets get back on point. We need help on the BL. Man do we need help. Not a single Dman from our team in the top 50 for goals, blocks, hits, or takeaways. That is weak!!!!! Only Green is there for points and he is a UFA.

So the question once again is what do we do about it? Is there much hope Holland will do anything? There are options.

1. Trade for Karlsson who may be available.

2. Trade for OEL who could be available.

3. Sign Carlson as a UFA.

4. Sign one or both of Cole and/or De Haan to improve the depth and talent.

It takes work to do any/all of this. It takes a GM with guts. Does Holland have it anymore?

Now can a combo or 2 1st round picks, tatar or AA, cholowski, and Mrazek get one of Karlsson or OEL? I don't know. Until we ask we dont know.

Yes Carlson will cost money. So what? Shattenkirk signed for 4 years with a average cap hit of 6.65 million. I would think Carlson will end up with a 7 yr/7 million per contract. Would I do it? In a heart beat! he is a legit top 50 Dman in this league, most likely a 2 not a 1. We need both.

Now just think for a minute. Holland acts and we go into next season with this as our BL corp:

OEL-Carlson

Dekeyser-Cole

Daley-Jensen

Oullett

That is pretty good. Might have become one of the top 5 units top to bottom in the league. Is it possible? yes. Willing to bet on it? Nope.

Depth isn't an issue. We shouldn't sign any more bottom 4 defensemen, which is what De Haan and Cole are.

Holy f***ing over payment... I probably wouldn't give up that sort of package in the position we're in now for prime Lidstrom... 

I'd love to get Carlson, but I'm not sure if I'd be comfortable with that money and term, unless we can offload some other big contracts.

You're right, that would be a pretty good defense corps, but it's next to impossible to have that sort of turnover in one offseason, especially if Holland is still GM. 

1 hour ago, Richdg said:

I thought we were discussing Karlsson vs OEL, not sure what Burns and Josi have to do with anything.

I'm guessing your issue with Karlsson is that he doesnt hit enough since you keeping talking about it. When you score like him, you can get away with it. I'm not over-hyping anything, I'm just not going to validate your delusions. 

In the past 6 seasons, he has won 2 Norris Trophy's, and been a finalist 4 times (and lets not forget he missed half of 2012/13 with an injury)

In points he has ranked:

2017 - 3rd (5 points less then Burns)

2016 - 1st

2015 - 1st

2014 - 1st

2013 - missed half of the season with an injury

2012 - 1st

If you want to bring up Burns, I don't buy Burns is better offensively. He had more points 1 time (not counting year he was hurt).

18 hours ago, kliq said:

I thought we were discussing Karlsson vs OEL, not sure what Burns and Josi have to do with anything.

I'm guessing your issue with Karlsson is that he doesnt hit enough since you keeping talking about it. When you score like him, you can get away with it. I'm not over-hyping anything, I'm just not going to validate your delusions. 

In the past 6 seasons, he has won 2 Norris Trophy's, and been a finalist 4 times (and lets not forget he missed half of 2012/13 with an injury)

In points he has ranked:

2017 - 3rd (5 points less then Burns)

2016 - 1st

2015 - 1st

2014 - 1st

2013 - missed half of the season with an injury

2012 - 1st

If you want to bring up Burns, I don't buy Burns is better offensively. He had more points 1 time (not counting year he was hurt).

Kliq I get your a fan of Karlsson. So am I. You said he is a generational talent. No he is't. He is a great player but to date-and there is still time, he isn't the best in the league. He isn't the best offensive Dman-he is very close and he isn't the best defensive Dman. That means he isn't generational. Would I love to have him? Yes. Now is he overall better than OEL? I doubt it. One can made a very good arguement that they are equal. That is my point.

20 minutes ago, wings_fanatic said:

Funny how kenny is willing to retain salary to trade mrazek snd yet a couple seasons ago when howard was awful holland refused to retain salary to trade him. I hate how bias the red wings managament has been with howard.

Mrazek has 1 year left, Howard had about 3 at that time. Completely different situation as retaining salary will not effect anything moving forward. Im pretty sure they did the same thing with vanek last year. No bias.

3 minutes ago, kliq said:

Mrazek has 1 year left, Howard had about 3 at that time. Completely different situation as retaining salary will not effect anything moving forward. Im pretty sure they did the same thing with vanek last year. No bias.

Not to mention the team was trying to maintain the streak at the time IIRC. They needed Howard to do that. That is not the case now. I agree, no bias, just different circumstances.

1 hour ago, LoveMyRedWings56 said:

So Craig Custance is saying that a few team might be interested in Petr Mrazek, And Holland is willing to retain for the right offer, I'd do Mrazek at $2 million for a 2018 3rd rounder but that's just me.

F*** that! I don't want to trade Mrazek at all, but if that's the return, no way...

2 hours ago, Richdg said:

Kliq I get your a fan of Karlsson. So am I. You said he is a generational talent. No he is't. He is a great player but to date-and there is still time, he isn't the best in the league. He isn't the best offensive Dman-he is very close and he isn't the best defensive Dman. That means he isn't generational. Would I love to have him? Yes. Now is he overall better than OEL? I doubt it. One can made a very good arguement that they are equal. That is my point.

I'm actually not a fan of his. I dont like him, I dont dislike him. What I am saying about him is unbiased and completely based on his accomplishments. The stats don't lie, he is far and away the best offensive defenseman of this generation, and he is on pace to be one of the best of all time. Hence, a generational player.

Not sure what your bias is, rather then just telling me he's not, and that he's a "top 10 guy", do you actually have an argument to support what you are saying. I posted mine above.

Here is another one. In the last 5 years Karlsson has 312 points. Burns is second at 277 (35 points less), and Hedman is 3rd with 230 (82 points less). The guy is an outlier. You can only be compared to your piers when assessing a player, and Karlsson is far and away better then every other D-man in hockey offensively.

Also, the guy is only 27. When its all said and done, he is going to rank near the top of the top scoring d-men of all time, and easily the top guy of this generation.

http://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/seasons/last-5-nhl-seasons-defensemen-stats.html

Edited by kliq

8 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

F*** that! I don't want to trade Mrazek at all, but if that's the return, no way...

I think Holland has decided that Mrazek has no future in Detroit. If he trades him and retains some salary then at least Holland's getting something for him as opposed to not qualifying him this summer and losing him for nothing. Plus, as kliq said the salary retention does nothing to effect the cap after July 1st. It's actually a smart move if Holland's not planning on re-signing him. But I can see how you would disagree if you want to keep him.

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

57 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Yeah, retain salary and get a half assed pick for Mrazek? FFS. Lol

Theres a few teams interested despite him not playing much and his numbers being bad (but those numbers are inflated by s***ty D, much like Howard’s are). That should tell something. The teams see potential in him if they give him the chance to play. One part of me would hate to lose him for crap, but another part of me wants him to get a shot elsewhere and succeed on a great scale just to stick it to Holland.

Honestly, I see Howard as the one who should be traded, if there’s interest in him. If they got Howard out of Detroit, I think Mrazek would thrive. Yes he was bad last season even without Howard on the bench, but bad seasons happen. Smart thing would be trade Howard, let Mrazek have at it. If he does no better, then the Wings are closer to that top pick. Don’t qualify him, pick up a goalie in the off-season. If he does, then you re-sign him and have your new young starter for the future. 

Teams not doing s*** with Howard or Mrazek in goal. Now is the time to start the true rebuild. Trading the younger goalie is a step backwards.

But, Holland won’t trade Howard. He thinks he still needs him, even though he woulda taken anything he could for him at one point. Just trade all the vets you can. Yes, even Z if he asks!

2 hours ago, MileHighWingsGuy said:

If a trade frees up cap space and a roster spot I'm good with trading half this roster away. If you get rid of Mrazek please don't stop there.

That's fine, but we shouldn't be trading low on any of these players either. Retaining half of a players salary and trading him for a 3rd round pick would be the type of deal you make just to get rid of the player. I know some do just want to get rid of Mrazek, but I think that would be a mistake.

2 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

I think Holland has decided that Mrazek has no future in Detroit. If he trades him and retains some salary then at least Holland's getting something for him as opposed to not qualifying him this summer and losing him for nothing. Plus, as kliq said the salary retention does nothing to effect the cap after July 1st. It's actually a smart move if Holland's not planning on re-signing him. But I can see how you would disagree if you want to keep him.

I agree that that's probably what Holland is thinking, and if that is what he's thinking, I also agree that getting something, anything for him now is the best course of action. I just disagree with that line of thinking. I do still think Mrazek could be a quality goaltender in this league. I'm with chaps in that I do want to keep him, but at the same time, I'd like to see him given a fresh slate with another team, to see if he can turn things around (I think he could). Unfortunately, if we're not careful, we could find ourselves in the same situation with Athanasiou down the road...

Mrazek has been treated like s***, honestly. Guy signs a contract to be the team’s starter after Holland decided Howard was the past in Detroit, and expendable. OK, done deal.  Only Howard was never moved. Seemed like Holland didn’t even actively shop him much. Definitely was not retaining salary! So Mrazek has a bad season overall while Howard plays well overall in the games he gets in. OK, it happens. Not a huge deal in the goalie world.

But after that one bad season, he's not able to resume his  starting role given to him the previous season when signing his deal. Instead, he’s relegated to backup duty behind Howard, and now he’s expendable? In a contract year when he’s got a $4.1 million qualifying offer coming if he earns it? Yet he’s barely played and Holland WILL retain salary to trade him? Only vets get the preferred treatment package I guess. 

Damn, after writing that, can’t see how anyone could blame him if he doesn’t care and wants the hell out of Detroit! And hopes the rumours are true. Sounds like real quality treatment of a player. First class.

9 hours ago, chaps80 said:

Mrazek has been treated like s***, honestly. Guy signs a contract to be the team’s starter after Holland decided Howard was the past in Detroit, and expendable. OK, done deal.  Only Howard was never moved. Seemed like Holland didn’t even actively shop him much. Definitely was not retaining salary! So Mrazek has a bad season overall while Howard plays well overall in the games he gets in. OK, it happens. Not a huge deal in the goalie world.

But after that one bad season, he's not able to resume his  starting role given to him the previous season when signing his deal. Instead, he’s relegated to backup duty behind Howard, and now he’s expendable? In a contract year when he’s got a $4.1 million qualifying offer coming if he earns it? Yet he’s barely played and Holland WILL retain salary to trade him? Only vets get the preferred treatment package I guess. 

Damn, after writing that, can’t see how anyone could blame him if he doesn’t care and wants the hell out of Detroit! And hopes the rumours are true. Sounds like real quality treatment of a player. First class.

To keep saying the same thing over and over and over. I don't understand what is so difficult to understand. If you have 2 goalies both being paid about the same. One is playing bad, one is playing good. You want to trade one, you trade the one that hasn't played any good hockey in almost 2 years. Sorry about your bias, but he's had plenty of opportunity. He's had since February 14, 2016, he hasn't proved s***. 

11 hours ago, chaps80 said:

This is the most twisted interpretation of events I think I have ever seen on here. You make it sound like Mrazek is owed start, and Holland/Blashill not handing them over to him is "treating him like s***".

Guy unexpectedly stole the reigns from Howard in 2014/15, he played great.

In 2015/16 he was given the role and outstarted Howard 54-37, but had a late season collapse starting January 2016. EVen with that collopse he was still given the role back in the playoffs.

In 2016/17 he out started Jimmy 50-26 and had one of the worst season in the entire NHL. His numbers were garbage compared to the rest of the league AND compared to Jimmy.

Summer 2017 - Mrazek is left exposed in the expansion draft and Tomas Nosek is chosen over him. If this doesn't show how little he is regarded in the NHL right now, I'm not sure what does.

This season Jimmy is healthy and after 2 years of what appears to be a failed experiment with him, Jimmy got the job back because he has outplayed him for 2 straight years.

If the Wings leaked all the rumors about him in the summer, I'll give you that one. But otherwise Mrazek has been given all the opportunity in the world, kid isn't owed anything. 

As far as retaining salary goes, that one is simple. Teams are ALWAYS more willing to retain salary on an expiring contract. We did the same thing with Vanek last year. Don't twist this into a vet/loyalty thing. 

Edited by kliq

Mrazek has played like garbage since his hot start to his career.  He's far from the first goalie to have that happen.  Once shooters get an idea of where a guy is weak, unless the goalie can work on that weakness, he's toast.  Mrazek hasn't adjusted.

Retaining salary only affects this year.  Unless you think they're going to actually make a trade that will bring in a high end young player where they're going to need cap room, and I doubt it will happen, it's going to be irrelevant.

If they decided they're going to let him walk away next summer, getting something, even a 3rd or 4th round pick, for him is better than nothing.

10 hours ago, kliq said:

This is the most twisted interpretation of events I think I have ever seen on here. You make it sound like Mrazek is owed start, and Holland/Blashill not handing them over to him is "treating him like s***".

Guy unexpectedly stole the reigns from Howard in 2014/15, he played great.

In 2015/16 he was given the role and outstarted Howard 54-37, but had a late season collapse starting January 2016. EVen with that collopse he was still given the role back in the playoffs.

In 2016/17 he out started Jimmy 50-26 and had one of the worst season in the entire NHL. His numbers were garbage compared to the rest of the league AND compared to Jimmy.

Summer 2017 - Mrazek is left exposed in the expansion draft and Tomas Nosek is chosen over him. If this doesn't show how little he is regarded in the NHL right now, I'm not sure what does.

This season Jimmy is healthy and after 2 years of what appears to be a failed experiment with him, Jimmy got the job back because he has outplayed him for 2 straight years.

If the Wings leaked all the rumors about him in the summer, I'll give you that one. But otherwise Mrazek has been given all the opportunity in the world, kid isn't owed anything. 

As far as retaining salary goes, that one is simple. Teams are ALWAYS more willing to retain salary on an expiring contract. We did the same thing with Vanek last year. Don't twist this into a vet/loyalty thing. 

Guess i’m just a bit pissed with this team lately, and to me, trading the younger goalie is a step backwards. 

Was he given the role going into 2015/16? I thought he stole that one for a bit due to his play? His play fell off, Howard got the job back. Fair enough. Then he lost it two games into the playoffs.

When he signed his extension going into 2016/17, he was named starter heading into the season. Howard was on the trade block, presumably done in Detroit. Yet he wasn’t. That’s where things get a bit messed up and I think Mrazek got the s*** end of the stick. He had a bad season, Howard is still around, gets the job back because he decided to dig in and work harder at the right time after losing his job? Should have been to little, too late, and Mrazek should have had a chance at redemption. Howard is a 9 year vet that’s had enough chances already. I’m tired of the round and round with this guy, but seems he’s not going anywhere soon, probably till he retires, so I guess I should get used to it.

Howard outplayed him two years in a row? You sure about that? Mrazek had a GAA of 2.33 to Jimmy’s 2.80 the first of the two. And let’s just not compare playoff stats in the same timeframe.

It's really an either/or. Can't keep spending over $9 million on goalies. Mrazek will be an RFA and if he's re-signed, both he and Howard will be making too much for either to be backups. So one has to be traded.

Mrazek is an RFA on an expiring contract, he is younger, cheaper, consistently healthy, and inconsistent, but some will still believe he's worth taking a chance on.

Howard still has one year left after this year, then he becomes an UFA. He's more expensive, older, and you know what you're getting.

Mrazek is just the easier of the 2 to trade right now.

On 12/14/2017 at 11:21 PM, chaps80 said:

Mrazek has been playing like s***, honestly. Guy signs a contract to be the team’s starter after Holland decided Howard was the past in Detroit, and expendable. OK, done deal.  Only Howard was never moved. Seemed like Holland didn’t even actively shop him much. Definitely was not retaining salary! So Mrazek has a bad season overall while Howard plays well overall in the games he gets in. OK, it happens. Not a huge deal in the goalie world.

Fixed that.  He lost his starting job because he played bad, not because Blashill doesn't like him or there's some secret anti-Eastern European conspiracy or something.  The fact that he was the #1 goalie for awhile and was given a contract matching that position is irrelevant.  You don't play a player because of his contract, unless you're not committed to winning (or at least making it look like you're committed) if that player is crapping the bed on a regular basis.  If his poor play is the result of his sulking, then he has no business being in the NHL anyway, and if he thinks that some other team is going to hand him a #1 job after his play going back almost 2 full years, he's insane.  His only 2 options going forward are accept a backup job and try to beat out the #1 goalie for his new team or go running back to Europe.