• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Dabura

Rumors Thread

Rate this topic

I’m not certain on our financials but it might come down to Howard or Mrazek in order to re sign our RFA’s. You go with Howard you need to sign another goalie down the road to bridge the gap before a prospect emerges. Mrazek will be cheap with a lot of gas left in the tank. Most likely Holland stays loyal to Howard but maybe our new GM....

48 minutes ago, joesuffP said:

I’m not certain on our financials but it might come down to Howard or Mrazek in order to re sign our RFA’s. You go with Howard you need to sign another goalie down the road to bridge the gap before a prospect emerges. Mrazek will be cheap with a lot of gas left in the tank. Most likely Holland stays loyal to Howard but maybe our new GM....

No he won't.

RFA's who earn over $1 million must be offered 100 percent of their previous contract in a qualifying offer. If the RFA is not given a qualifying offer, they become a UFA.

Of course we could re-sign him as a UFA once the market opens up, but the team, and he, will probably opt to explore different options at that point.

Mrazek is gone guys. He was gone when we exposed him at the expansion. It's pretty clear.

This team is s*** next year too, guaranteed. I think you keep Howard and Mrazek (for 1-year) and see how it goes if and only if Mrazek continues to play well down the stretch this season, unless a no-brainer deal comes up for either. But neither goalie is likely to yield much return for obvious reasons, and it’d be dumb to let Mrazek go right now if he is capable of getting back going again given that we don’t have much else happening in the system. Hell, maybe even Howard stays on cheap after next year as a backup or 1a/1b because he wants to stay. I don’t feel the urgency to move either goalie that some do. If Mrazek gets going and Howard keeps doing Howard, which is fine most of the time (he tends to struggle this time of year, not surprising or alarming), goaltending isn’t really a big problem. 

2 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

No he won't.

RFA's who earn over $1 million must be offered 100 percent of their previous contract in a qualifying offer. If the RFA is not given a qualifying offer, they become a UFA.

Of course we could re-sign him as a UFA once the market opens up, but the team, and he, will probably opt to explore different options at that point.

Mrazek is gone guys. He was gone when we exposed him at the expansion. It's pretty clear.

Howard was gone once too. 

4 minutes ago, gcom007 said:

This team is s*** next year too, guaranteed. I think you keep Howard and Mrazek (for 1-year) and see how it goes if and only if Mrazek continues to play well down the stretch this season, unless a no-brainer deal comes up for either. But neither goalie is likely to yield much return for obvious reasons, and it’d be dumb to let Mrazek go right now if he is capable of getting back going again given that we don’t have much else happening in the system. Hell, maybe even Howard stays on cheap after next year as a backup or 1a/1b because he wants to stay. I don’t feel the urgency to move either goalie that some do. If Mrazek gets going and Howard keeps doing Howard, which is fine most of the time (he tends to struggle this time of year, not surprising or alarming), goaltending isn’t really a big problem. 

Maybe for the nutbars out there

Howard never ended a contract year with a GAA over 3 goals and an automatic command of 4 million dollars

Do you think we could make a case to Bettman that with the new arena, we are really an expansion team in a new market, and therefore the Wings want to have an expansion draft to replace our entire team (coaches and management included)?? 

Just thinking of how to extinguish this dumpster fire.

29 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

No he won't.

Well then you’re probably right. I think a team will take a chance on Mrazek as a UFA. Next offseason is going to be dicy if we have to re sign Howard (we will). We’ll probably have a competent defense by the time our goaltending is terrible

Edited by joesuffP

https://eyesonisles.com/2018/01/17/new-york-islanders-detroit-red-wings-perfect-trade-deadline-partners/

The article is a week old, but I like where it's going! Also I like this particular quote:

The New York Islanders will be active at the trade deadline and the Detroit Red Wings are the perfect fit for a trade partner. Again, they have what we want. And we have what they want. So lets make a deal already!

I agree! Lets make a deal already! If indeed the Isles want to make a push for the playoffs, they may pay up to acquire one of our goalies AND Mike Green.

Edited by LeftWinger

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

https://eyesonisles.com/2018/01/17/new-york-islanders-detroit-red-wings-perfect-trade-deadline-partners/

The article is a week old, but I like where it's going! Also I like this particular quote:

I agree! Lets make a deal already! If indeed the Isles want to make a push for the playoffs, they may pay up to acquire one of our goalies AND Mike Green.

I'm down.

1 hour ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

What about our friends on the other side of NYC?

Even though the Rags are still in the playoff hunt, Larry Brooks is reporting that NYR is gonna blow up the team, specifically he highlights McDonagh, Nash, and Zuccarello being available.

NYR READY TO BLOW IT UP

What no takers on "the king"?

1 hour ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

HSJ is one of the nutbars I was talking about

Oh, she’s most certainly a nutbar, but Holland and Jimmy said what they did. If you want to rewrite history, go ahead, but Holland was absolutely trying to trade Howard around that time. 

6 hours ago, gcom007 said:

53 minutes ago, gcom007 said:

Oh, she’s most certainly a nutbar, but Holland and Jimmy said what they did. If you want to rewrite history, go ahead, but Holland was absolutely trying to trade Howard around that time. 

"thought about it lots. I'm going to get to the draft, I'm going to talk to a lot of people, see what's out there."

"We'll see. I can see, on one hand, having two goaltenders. It's a nice luxury. Certainly, Jimmy Howard played an important role down the stretch in us qualifying for the playoffs when Petr hit the wall a little bit. But certainly, I also could see if things could work out better via trade. Might be good for the organization, good for some careers."

Yes, based on the article he certainly mulled it over and kicked a few tires as Helene so succinctly suggests. Who wouldn't? We had what at the time appeared to be a rising star that needed a contract, and a starter who was too highly paid and highly talented to be a full-time back up. A log jam.

A Howard trade was being explored, not because Howard was bad, but because his replacement arrived early. Holland clearly expresses in the article that it's a difficult problem to have because Howard had given so much to the team already, is a great guy around town, and Holland himself enjoys the luxury of having two good goalies. He didn't wanna let Howard go, his hand was being forced by cap and market forces. And in the end he didn't let those forces force him to make a rash decision (thank gawd).

Now with special boy Petr we have the exact opposite scenario. A young kid who plays hard ball arbitration with Holland and gets awarded a huge contract, and then proceeds to become completely useless in 90% of the games he plays for the next 2 years. He's doesn't have a long track record with the team or even in the league and he's got known attitude problems that clash with coaches and management. And he's just plain bad. No one wanted him at the expansion and the biggest offer we got before this colossally disappointing season even started was a 4th if we retained salary. It's not a log jam, it's an embarrassment to Holland as a manager that he's paid a close to useless asset well beyond what it's worth and he's stuck with him.

The Howard scenario was Holland choosing between vanilla and chocolate. In the end he chose both.

This Mrazek scenario is Holland choosing between vanilla and a cold dog turd in a cone. I wonder which he's gonna pick...

So to get back to the point, trust me, I'm not trying to rewrite history, I simply don't see the point of your comment "Howard was gone once too" it has nothing to do with, or even relates to our situation at hand. 2 very different scenarios that happen to have the same cast of characters.

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

47 minutes ago, joesuffP said:

Mrazek as an asset is still worth more to teams than Howard

I don't think it's that clear. He is only if a team is prepared to qualify him for 4 million next year and sign him at least that much on a future contract. Otherwise, his value at the deadline is just as insurance depth for a couple of months. And teams trading at the deadline aren't usually going for large unsure bets for the future.

Howard has another year on his contract and is a proven starter so would be more of a fit to teams at the deadline who are looking to compete now.

I guess it depends on the team. To get a large return, Mrazek's market would have be a team with cap space to burn and needing to take a gamble at goal, but still buyers at the deadline for some reason. Don't know who that would be.

Edited by PavelValerievichDatsyuk

5 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

What about our friends on the other side of NYC?

Even though the Rags are still in the playoff hunt, Larry Brooks is reporting that NYR is gonna blow up the team, specifically he highlights McDonagh, Nash, and Zuccarello being available.

NYR READY TO BLOW IT UP

I like that they think Nash is "the premier rental property on the market." Green has more points then him as a D man.

I do like that they think Nash will bring a 1st and a youngster because of what that might mean for Green's return, but the writer's judgement might just be off judging by the "premier.." comment 

5 hours ago, PavelValerievichDatsyuk said:

I don't think it's that clear. He is only if a team is prepared to qualify him for 4 million next year and sign him at least that much on a future contract. Otherwise, his value at the deadline is just as insurance depth for a couple of months. And teams trading at the deadline aren't usually going for large unsure bets for the future.

Howard has another year on his contract and is a proven starter so would be more of a fit to teams at the deadline who are looking to compete now.

I guess it depends on the team. To get a large return, Mrazek's market would have be a team with cap space to burn and needing to take a gamble at goal, but still buyers at the deadline for some reason. Don't know who that would be.

I can agree with this, except the part of the qualifying amount. He can be “qualified”, then signed for less if he chooses to. The RFA has that option. It’s usually the other way around, where raises and extensions come into play if they’re earned. But if nothing is earned, it can become a cut in pay.

I keep seeing $4 million owed to Mrazek. In principle, yes. But there’s no stopping deals after that to change the amount. He’s not getting close to $4 million per of he decides to hit the UFA market anyways. So why would Holland qualify him at that without having some prior agreement that it will be  negotiated for less?

But,  don’t sign him if he’s going to ride the bench. Gotta commit to giving him fairly steady playing time or don’t bother. He’s clearly a guy who needs to play to keep sharp. He’s always been like that.

Just think, NYI has Griess at $3.3 million for a few more years. One year of Mrazek at $2 million or so is nothing.

Edited by chaps80

http://mynhltraderumors.com/winnipeg-jets-could-be-nhl-trade-deadline-buyers/2018/01/26/

Wiebe noted the Jets have some prospects that could interest other clubs. With $68.8 million invested in this season’s salary-cap payroll, they have plenty of room to take on a salaried player or two. Given the number of good young players already on the roster, perhaps Cheveldayoff might consider dangling his 2018 first-round pick as trade bait.

If the Jets go shopping, Wiebe suggested adding a scoring winger or even a center. He also wouldn’t be surprised if they brought in an experienced defenseman.

Wiebe brought up Ottawa Senators center Derick Brassard as a trade option. However, on Monday the Ottawa Sun’s Bruce Garrioch said Brassard isn’t expected to be dealt.  The Sens also apparently want an offer too good to pass up for young center Jean-Gabriel Pageau.

The Senators, however, aren’t the only possible trading partner for Cheveldayoff. The lowly Arizona Coyotes and Buffalo Sabres are sellers. In a month’s time, the Detroit Red Wings, Edmonton Oilers, Florida Panthers Montreal Canadiens and Vancouver Canucks could join them.

If the Jets seek a veteran defenseman, Detroit’s Mike Green, Florida’s Alex Petrovic or Vancouver’s Erik Gudbranson could be available.

Options at center/wing could include Arizona’s Tobias Rieder, Detroit’s Gustav Nyquist, Edmonton’s Mark Letestu or Patrick Maroon, Montreal’s Andrew Shaw or Tomas Plekanec or Vancouver’s Tomas Vanek.

The Jets are a very good hockey team. With one or two savvy trade acquisitions, they could raise some hell in the 2018 playoffs.

Green and Nyquist for a 1st and 2nd.

4 hours ago, chaps80 said:

I can agree with this, except the part of the qualifying amount. He can be “qualified”, then signed for less if he chooses to. The RFA has that option. It’s usually the other way around, where raises and extensions come into play if they’re earned. But if nothing is earned, it can become a cut in pay.

I keep seeing $4 million owed to Mrazek. In principle, yes. But there’s no stopping deals after that to change the amount. He’s not getting close to $4 million per of he decides to hit the UFA market anyways. So why would Holland qualify him at that without having some prior agreement that it will be  negotiated for less?

But,  don’t sign him if he’s going to ride the bench. Gotta commit to giving him fairly steady playing time or don’t bother. He’s clearly a guy who needs to play to keep sharp. He’s always been like that.

Just think, NYI has Griess at $3.3 million for a few more years. One year of Mrazek at $2 million or so is nothing.

So you think he's going to get a qualifying offer for $4 mil+ and then take less?  Why the F would he do that?

5 hours ago, chaps80 said:

Do you have a link? The way I understood it is if he is qualified at the current $4M, he gets that amount regardless. No negotiating the dollar amount (higher or lower) after the qualifying offer is signed. However, Holland can choose to not qualify Mrazek, let him hit free agency with the understanding that he will sign him to whatever contract they see fit as an unrestricted free agent. If that's incorrect, and you have a link stating otherwise, it would be appreciated.

http://mynhltraderumors.com/nhl-rumors-los-angeles-kings-detroit-red-wings-mike-green-petr-mrazek/2018/01/25/

Though Petr Mrazek has played well of late, he’s struggled the past two years. He’s a pending restricted free agent with a $4 million salary cap hit. The Red Wings won’t offer him a qualifying offer and he’d be a UFA after that. The New York Islanders might take a look at Mrazek. thinks they should keep playing Mrazek, and if he continues to play well, they might be able to get a decent return for him.

Looks like it may not matter to us anyway.

7 hours ago, chaps80 said:

If that's true, that'd be great, but I've never seen reference to this anywhere else. But as Dickie said, I don't know why he'd choose to sign for less after getting the qualifying offer. Maybe if we made a longer term deal, but that wouldn't be a smart move given the state of things with him and I can't think that would actually happen.

I think if we're to keep him we'd have to bit the bullet with a 4 million one year deal (which we probably couldn't fit in with our other FAs) or take our chances in free agency - but I forsee Mrazek wanting a fresh start somewhere else if he goes to free agency.