• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Dabura

Rumors Thread

Rate this topic

6 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

IDK. I would take it I guess, but it seems light to me. I feel like if a team's getting both players there should be a 3rd piece like a 2019 pick or a prospect.

35 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

IDK. I would take it I guess, but it seems light to me. I feel like if a team's getting both players there should be a 3rd piece like a 2019 pick or a prospect.

Wow, I've never been told before that what I would like in return was "light." :lol:

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2018/01/atlantic-notes-howard-detroit-injuries-stone-ottawa-arena.html

While many have expected the Red Wings will try to move goaltender Petr Mrazek before the trade deadline, MLive’s Ansar Khan reports that Detroit will look to move netminder Jimmy Howard.  The 33-year-old is having a down year compared to his stellar 2016-17 campaign and has posted a 2.82 GAA and a .911 SV% in 38 games this season.  However, what makes him a tougher candidate to deal than Mrazek (eligible for restricted free agency with a $4.15MM qualifying offer) is Howard’s contract, which has one year left on it beyond this season with a cap charge just shy of $5.3MM and a 10-team no-trade clause.  The goalie market isn’t expected to be too robust in the next month and expiring contracts will likely yield more attention for those teams seeking help or additional depth.

Edited by LeftWinger

6 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Do you have a link? The way I understood it is if he is qualified at the current $4M, he gets that amount regardless. No negotiating the dollar amount (higher or lower) after the qualifying offer is signed. However, Holland can choose to not qualify Mrazek, let him hit free agency with the understanding that he will sign him to whatever contract they see fit as an unrestricted free agent. If that's incorrect, and you have a link stating otherwise, it would be appreciated.

I will look for the link. But I found it in the RFA section of the CBA. Players can reject a qualifying offer, but then agree to a different amount. Doesn’t state whether it can only go up. I figure it can go both ways, but maybe not.

Edited by chaps80

4 hours ago, PavelValerievichDatsyuk said:

If that's true, that'd be great, but I've never seen reference to this anywhere else. But as Dickie said, I don't know why he'd choose to sign for less after getting the qualifying offer. Maybe if we made a longer term deal, but that wouldn't be a smart move given the state of things with him and I can't think that would actually happen.

I think if we're to keep him we'd have to bit the bullet with a 4 million one year deal (which we probably couldn't fit in with our other FAs) or take our chances in free agency - but I forsee Mrazek wanting a fresh start somewhere else if he goes to free agency.

Yeah, you never know if he’d take less, but from what I gather, he can. Maybe if Howard is moved and Holland says we want you to be the guy, but you haven’t really earned that $4 million since you signed the deal. Maybe we can work out something beneficial to both of us for one year, then go from there? He can’t really argue he hasn’t earned the money, unless he gets a lot of starts for the rest of the season and keeps his numbers up like he has been. Then the $4 million won’t seem like much. 

https://www.nhl.com/lightning/news/what-exactly-is-a-restricted-free-agent/c-721878

• Player does not have to take amount offered in a qualifying offer. After the offer is made they can reject it and remain an RFA, while negotiating for another amount.

That being said, if a player does sign the qualifier at any time, it becomes binding at the qualifying amount. So there is a small loophole. If there is another amount discussed and agreed on, he can reject the qualifier and sign for that amount if he chooses.

Not saying it’ll happen, but it’s perfectly legal under the CBA.

Also, the part of my post above about accepting the qualifier then renegotiating was wrong. He can’t sign the qualifier without the team being on the hook for full amount.

Edited by chaps80

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

Howards cap hit is 5.3 but his actual salary next season is 4.25 I believe. So if you're a team without cap issues, that would make his contract more palatable. Is still think he'd get a better return next year. I also don't think I'd keep Mrazek over Howard. He's not worth 4 mil and if he reaches free agency, he's a goner. Doesn't make sense.

11 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Howards cap hit is 5.3 but his actual salary next season is 4.25 I believe. So if you're a team without cap issues, that would make his contract more palatable. Is still think he'd get a better return next year. I also don't think I'd keep Mrazek over Howard. He's not worth 4 mil and if he reaches free agency, he's a goner. Doesn't make sense.

It would benefit Jimmy to be traded this year for sure. After this season he has NO, ZERO, NADA, ZILCH of a NTC. At least this TDL he can control where he goes, next year (or over the summer) he could end up in NHL hell.

6 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

If Howard is gone though, Mrazek is their obvious in house option to keep, whether at $4 million or another amount. With Howard off the books there’s lots of space for him and to sign a journeyman backup or promote Coreau. 

Weird how Howard’s name is all of a sudden coming up in rumours as the guy they want to trade. Has Mrazek’s performance in only four games really made management reconsider his future with the team? As one writer said, if they did move him at his age with his skill set, it would be a disaster if he plays out of his mind on another team when the Wings need a solid young goalie in the rebuild. He’s got quite a few years left. Keep Howard and it doesn’t matter because he’ll be gone before the team returns to contention anyways. Maybe he can win a Cup elsewhere before he has to retire.

5 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

It would benefit Jimmy to be traded this year for sure. After this season he has NO, ZERO, NADA, ZILCH of a NTC. At least this TDL he can control where he goes, next year (or over the summer) he could end up in NHL hell.

This is true. Ten team list now, or no leverage next season. Could end up in Arizona. Lol

Mrazek has upside and Howard does not. If Howard is gone I wouldn’t mind rolling the dice @4M for 2-3 years. Basically it’s whichever goalie is able to be traded will be traded and who ever is left will be the #1 next season. If Holland can trade either than I’ll be happy but I’d prefer Mrazek for the next 3+ Years over Howard

Edited by joesuffP

2 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

I would, he's been terrible

So keep resigning Howard (whose also terrible) or try and sign a journeymen for the next 3+ years. Mrazek is the best risk/reward in this situation unless Howard is willing to sign for dirt cheap and can stay healthy

And what will Howard command in 2 years as a UFA and is he going to be able to start 50+ games? 4M short term isn’t a ridiculous price to pay an unproven #1 goalie considering we were just paying almost 10M.

At the end of the day Holland will try to trade Howard but nobody will want him and then he’ll move Mrazek and our goaltending situation will be much worse in 2 years

26 minutes ago, joesuffP said:

And what will Howard command in 2 years as a UFA and is he going to be able to start 50+ games? 4M short term isn’t a ridiculous price to pay an unproven #1 goalie considering we were just paying almost 10M.

At the end of the day Holland will try to trade Howard but nobody will want him and then he’ll move Mrazek and our goaltending situation will be much worse in 2 years

I don't want to think about Howard still being around in two years after his contract ends. If he is kept for the rest of this season, he should be moved at the next deadline or let walk in the offseason after. Zero reason to resign him after his contract is up.

I agree Howard might be hard to move, despite his improvement in play the past two seasons. Ten team list, one year left on his deal, injury history all factor in. I guess a team could pick him up for some insurance now and buy his last season out after if they didn't want to keep him. Holland would'nt get much in return beyond taking another goalie back and a low pick, but he'd get rid of his contract. At least Mrazek has shaped up at the right time though to make the decision on who to move, if either at all, more difficult. Going down swinging.

I won't be surprised if both finish the season in Detroit though.

2 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Which is one more reason to trade him next season. More potential trade partners. Plus he'll be in the last year of his deal which will open up even more. The smart move for the team is to trade your assets when you'll get the best return. Trading the better, proven goalie now for fewer assets just to overpay the unproven goalie with worse numbers makes zero sense to me.

That said, I want what's best for the team. If Holland gets an offer he cant refuse, then trade Howard.

19 hours ago, joesuffP said:

Mrazek has upside and Howard does not. If Howard is gone I wouldn’t mind rolling the dice @4M for 2-3 years. Basically it’s whichever goalie is able to be traded will be traded and who ever is left will be the #1 next season. If Holland can trade either than I’ll be happy but I’d prefer Mrazek for the next 3+ Years over Howard

No way Mrazek deserves anything more than a one year deal if we keep him. If he plays well down the stretch here, I think they should work something out for 1 year and see how it goes. You can’t gamble on another multi-year deal at this point unless they somehow can work out the money to be cheaper which seems exceedingly unlikely. 

2 minutes ago, gcom007 said:

No way Mrazek deserves anything more than a one year deal if we keep him. If he plays well down the stretch here, I think they should work something out for 1 year and see how it goes. You can’t gamble on another multi-year deal at this point unless they somehow can work out the money to be cheaper which seems exceedingly unlikely. 

No he doesn’t deserve anything more than that. He doesn’t even deserve the $4 million qualifier right now. But if he continues playing well and they want to keep him, maybe offer two seasons at $2 million per? Spread that qualifier out a bit, maybe with performance bonus incentives? If he hits the bonuses, good. If not, nothing lost.

If he won’t budge on the $4 million, even though Holland, him, and his agent damn well know he doesn’t deserve it, then it should be a one and done thing. Don’t perform, were letting you walk July 1 without question.

1 hour ago, chaps80 said:

No he doesn’t deserve anything more than that. He doesn’t even deserve the $4 million qualifier right now. But if he continues playing well and they want to keep him, maybe offer two seasons at $2 million per? Spread that qualifier out a bit, maybe with performance bonus incentives? If he hits the bonuses, good. If not, nothing lost.

If he won’t budge on the $4 million, even though Holland, him, and his agent damn well know he doesn’t deserve it, then it should be a one and done thing. Don’t perform, were letting you walk July 1 without question.

I'd buy that. 2 years for 2 million per with some shutout bonuses thrown in etc. Anything over, drop him.

22 hours ago, joesuffP said:

So keep resigning Howard (whose also terrible) or try and sign a journeymen for the next 3+ years. Mrazek is the best risk/reward in this situation unless Howard is willing to sign for dirt cheap and can stay healthy

I don't want a backup quality goalie with a salary of over $4 mil.