• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Dabura

Rumors Thread

Rate this topic

More off TSN

https://www.tsn.ca/countdown-to-tradecentre-latest-on-leafs-and-glendening-1.1004803

Looks like we wanted a 2nd they wanted to give a 5th but.....

From the article....

"TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger said Tuesday morning Glendening is drawing interest on the trade market, but it's unclear if the Leafs still have interest."

Who else would have mad love for Glenndog?

6 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

Heard on the radio this morning...Green may not get moved...Apparently he really likes Detroit, and  is willing to stay on for a few more years at a reduced salary.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Go and come back Mike and you can be a pairing with the new shiny object we might get in June. 

19 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

Heard on the radio this morning...Green may not get moved...Apparently he really likes Detroit, and  is willing to stay on for a few more years at a reduced salary.

That shouldn't matter. You still move him and re-sign him this summer, assuming both parties are on the same page with him coming back (I think they are). Not trading Green at the deadline would be a monumental mistake.

2 hours ago, F.Michael said:

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Agreed...Forgot his name, but it was some guy from Sportsnet CA that was interviewed.

No problem with him getting 3 more years at $3 to $4 mill per season (preferably nothing more than $3.75)  from Holland come July 1st.

Big problem with that, considering that we need assets now... Green is going to be 33 and really isn't all that, all things considered. I'd rather bring up Hicketts and Hronek than pay Green without getting some picks now. He can go try to win a cup and still sign here this summer, so this notion makes zero sense.

8 minutes ago, SwedeLundin77 said:

Big problem with that, considering that we need assets now... Green is going to be 33 and really isn't all that, all things considered. I'd rather bring up Hicketts and Hronek than pay Green without getting some picks now. He can go try to win a cup and still sign here this summer, so this notion makes zero sense.

The topic of conversation is what folks would like to see Green offered to return come July 1st. Nobody here is saying we should hold on to him for the rest of the season...

If indeed Mike wants to come back in July, maybe it would be in his best interest to open up to about 6-8 teams to where he'd accept a trade so we can have a bit of a bidding war. If we get less than a NHL ready prospect and a 2nd, then its almost pointless. Having just one team that he'll go to not only hurts our bargaining power, but it also hurts his chances at a Cup.  IMO, he should be open to a trade to TPA, BOS, PIT, WSH, WPG, VEG, NSH and STL at least.  Out of those, heck even throw TOR in there, there would have to be at least a small bidding war.  The better the return, the better the team may be when/if he comes back.

Remember though, Vanek had said pretty much the same thing about wanting to stay in Detroit and liking it here.  A lot of us thought he would be re-signed as well. It could be just being politically correct in saying he would love to stay (or come back) after the season.

Anyhow here's what I believe would be a few good returns for Green:

1st Rounder & Prospect

2nd Rounder & NHL Ready Prospect

1st Rounder & 2nd Rounder & Mid-Level Prospect

(If we're talking TPA) One of Foote, Raddysh, Volkov, Howden straight up 1 for 1

1st Rounder

...anything less than anything like I mentioned would be a travesty.  Maybe, MAYBE if they got creative and gave us a Conditional 2nd (which would become a 1st in they make the Cup finals) AND a 2019 1st rounder. That would be a good return IMO as well. But honestly, if we're not getting a guaranteed 1st round pick this year, it HAS to be an NHL ready Prospect coming. I seriously hope Holland doesn't get fleeced on this...

1 hour ago, marcaractac said:

The topic of conversation is what folks would like to see Green offered to return come July 1st. Nobody here is saying we should hold on to him for the rest of the season...

If Green came back, I think $3.5M to $4M for 3 more years would be a very contract. We'll be losing Kronwall in a year, possibly E in two, so it's not like we won't be getting some cap back for him.  Of course if we're serious players on JT and then maybe Karlsson in a couple of seasons, maybe $3M to $3.5M would be better.

Either way, we have $12.8M right now, if the cap goes up to (rumored) $79M that'll give us $16.8M.  If we can get rid of $10M-$12M this TDL and before July 1, which is entirely possible with the names that have been linked to having interested teams, that would give us nearly $30M in cap space. Knowing the like of AA, Mantha, Larkin, Frk, Bertuzi and Coreau with probably take up at least $10M of that, we'll still be good to offer Mike $3.5M and be serious players with JT, along with filling out our roster with promotions and or freshly signed acquired prospects or draft pick (praying for Dahlin.) 

Speaking of UFA, sure the grand prize is JT, but beyond him there are a few other UFA's that could be a nice look here:

Evander Kane - 26yrs

JVR - 28yrs

and there is a player in NYI with 62 points in 57 games named Josh Bailey (28 yrs)

Those three would cost millions less than JT, and they are all having pretty good seasons considering all the hype over JT.

Edited by LeftWinger

31 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

If indeed Mike wants to come back in July, maybe it would be in his best interest to open up to about 6-8 teams to where he'd accept a trade so we can have a bit of a bidding war. If we get less than a NHL ready prospect and a 2nd, then its almost pointless. Having just one team that he'll go to not only hurts our bargaining power, but it also hurts his chances at a Cup.  IMO, he should be open to a trade to TPA, BOS, PIT, WSH, WPG, VEG, NSH and STL at least.  Out of those, heck even throw TOR in there, there would have to be at least a small bidding war.  The better the return, the better the team may be when/if he comes back.

Remember though, Vanek had said pretty much the same thing about wanting to stay in Detroit and liking it here.  A lot of us thought he would be re-signed as well. It could be just being politically correct in saying he would love to stay (or come back) after the season.

Anyhow here's what I believe would be a few good returns for Green:

1st Rounder & Prospect

2nd Rounder & NHL Ready Prospect

1st Rounder & 2nd Rounder & Mid-Level Prospect

(If we're talking TPA) One of Foote, Raddysh, Volkov, Howden straight up 1 for 1

1st Rounder

...anything less than anything like I mentioned would be a travesty.  Maybe, MAYBE if they got creative and gave us a Conditional 2nd (which would become a 1st in they make the Cup finals) AND a 2019 1st rounder. That would be a good return IMO as well. But honestly, if we're not getting a guaranteed 1st round pick this year, it HAS to be an NHL ready Prospect coming. I seriously hope Holland doesn't get fleeced on this...

Green wants to go back to Detroit because he likes it there, and started a family there, not because he thinks he has a legitimate chance at winning a Cup. Not a single NHL player wants to lose games so their team has a better chance at the number one pick. Why would Green want Holland to get a higher pick in trading him? That's not how they think. If Green wants a real shot at winning a Cup, he should do exactly what he's doing, only accept a trade to the favorite. He should be hoping that Yzerman gets him relatively cheap, so that he has room to possibly add another piece to even further their chance to win it all.

I really think you're setting yourself up to be disappointed with the return on Green. As well as the number of players you want moved / cap you want shed...

Nashville may not be looking for a depth winger anymore... They may look to Eeli Tolvanen, who they selected 30th overall in last year's draft. He had a very strong showing at the WJC as well as the Olympics. They expect him to finish off his season in the KHL with Jokerit and then come over to help the Preds go on a Cup run...

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

Green wants to go back to Detroit because he likes it there, and started a family there, not because he thinks he has a legitimate chance at winning a Cup. Not a single NHL player wants to lose games so their team has a better chance at the number one pick. Why would Green want Holland to get a higher pick in trading him? That's not how they think. If Green wants a real shot at winning a Cup, he should do exactly what he's doing, only accept a trade to the favorite. He should be hoping that Yzerman gets him relatively cheap, so that he has room to possibly add another piece to even further their chance to win it all.

I really think you're setting yourself up to be disappointed with the return on Green. As well as the number of players you want moved / cap you want shed...

Yep, we'll all be disappointed.  Green for conditional 3rd, and then nobody else traded. That, if at all, is what is a typical Holland firesale, just like we were all disappointed last TDL.  If this happens, Holland needs to go quickly!

2 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Yep, we'll all be disappointed.  Green for conditional 3rd, and then nobody else traded. That, if at all, is what is a typical Holland firesale, just like we were all disappointed last TDL.  If this happens, Holland needs to go quickly!

Uh, we traded Jurco, Ott, Smith, all for good return or more than what was expected.

Vanek was a little disappointing, but expectation went a little crazy around here. 

23 minutes ago, PavelValerievichDatsyuk said:

Uh, we traded Jurco, Ott, Smith, all for good return or more than what was expected.

Vanek was a little disappointing, but expectation went a little crazy around here. 

Ya, this is the first time we actually have a highly sought after player, Holland will probably see two 2nds and get all giddy and say yes!

Sorry, I'm just setting myself up if anything better happens I can be pleased.  My expectations have been very high for a long time, I'd rather be happy than yet another Holland shart.

In the end, its very possible that people will be very disappointed in how the Green situation turns out. If a deal can't be made with a team that Green is willing to go to, or if he's not willing to waive his NTC for others, you may just see #25 on the ice come Feb 27th. Green seems keen on staying in Detroit. He has a wife and young child, and he may just decide that he doesn't want to leave his family for a few months, even if it means a shot at a cup. If that's the way things work out, I won't hold it against him, as he has to ultimately do what he believes is best for his family, not what's best for the team. Now, if he doesn't get traded and he ends up signing somewhere else in free agency, that would be different.

I think its very likely he resigns before free agency if he isn't traded at the TDL. 3 years/15 mil may seem high, but I think its fair. Anything less than that I would consider a good deal on Hollands part. I wouldnt be surprised if Green retires a Wing and ends up with an office job in the organization afterwards.

1 hour ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

In the end, its very possible that people will be very disappointed in how the Green situation turns out. If a deal can't be made with a team that Green is willing to go to, or if he's not willing to waive his NTC for others, you may just see #25 on the ice come Feb 27th. Green seems keen on staying in Detroit. He has a wife and young child, and he may just decide that he doesn't want to leave his family for a few months, even if it means a shot at a cup. If that's the way things work out, I won't hold it against him, as he has to ultimately do what he believes is best for his family, not what's best for the team. Now, if he doesn't get traded and he ends up signing somewhere else in free agency, that would be different.

I think its very likely he resigns before free agency if he isn't traded at the TDL. 3 years/15 mil may seem high, but I think its fair. Anything less than that I would consider a good deal on Hollands part. I wouldnt be surprised if Green retires a Wing and ends up with an office job in the organization afterwards.

I just don't like this idea that he could be here longer... it means we'll have a mediocre defense for several more years instead of trying to build it back up. Kronwall - washed up, Ericsson - inconsistent, DeKeyser - inconsistent, Green - one dimensional and not even all that great on the offensive side anymore... Daley is the only one I think has potential to help anchor the defense going forward... it's just depressing to think we'd continue down this path of shoddy defense.

15 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

If Green came back, I think $3.5M to $4M for 3 more years would be a very contract. We'll be losing Kronwall in a year, possibly E in two, so it's not like we won't be getting some cap back for him.  Of course if we're serious players on JT and then maybe Karlsson in a couple of seasons, maybe $3M to $3.5M would be better.

Either way, we have $12.8M right now, if the cap goes up to (rumored) $79M that'll give us $16.8M.  If we can get rid of $10M-$12M this TDL and before July 1, which is entirely possible with the names that have been linked to having interested teams, that would give us nearly $30M in cap space. Knowing the like of AA, Mantha, Larkin, Frk, Bertuzi and Coreau with probably take up at least $10M of that, we'll still be good to offer Mike $3.5M and be serious players with JT, along with filling out our roster with promotions and or freshly signed acquired prospects or draft pick (praying for Dahlin.) 

Very contract. Very wow. 

8 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

I agree that there may be some disappointed fans on February 26th. But that's because their expectations on the return for Green (among other players) is through the roof. Green WILL be traded though. There's no way he doesn't waive his no trade clause to go to a contender for a few months for a chance at a Cup. After all, that is the ultimate goal of every hockey player.

No chance Mike Green is a Red Wing beyond February 26th. I do think it's possible that he could be the only player moved though... which would be very disappointing...

14 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

You sure love to tell everyone how they feel don't you? Last trade deadline went quite well, no idea what you're talking about. We hosed the Rags in the Smith trade. 

A winger playing sheltered minutes like Vanek was never gonna net much of a return. If you expected otherwise, you have nobody but yourself to blame for being disappointed. 

Edited by marcaractac

Well Well we have a new leader on the trade board....

https://www.tsn.ca/karlsson-leaps-to-top-of-tsn-trade-bait-board-1.1006701

So wondering if we even have enough to pull off a trade based on below this from the article (and no I don't believe crippling a team for a single player is a good thing)

"The Senators are believed to be seeking a package of five-to-seven assets in return for Karlsson, a combination of impact roster players, draft picks and prospects."

6 minutes ago, AtlantaHotWings said:

Well Well we have a new leader on the trade board....

https://www.tsn.ca/karlsson-leaps-to-top-of-tsn-trade-bait-board-1.1006701

So wondering if we even have enough to pull off a trade based on below this from the article (and no I don't believe crippling a team for a single player is a good thing)

"The Senators are believed to be seeking a package of five-to-seven assets in return for Karlsson, a combination of impact roster players, draft picks and prospects."

We don't have the assets that Ottawa would be looking for, without completely depleting our team / farm system. Larkin would have to be involved along with multiple other high end prospects / picks. Even then, another team would likely offer more. I was skeptical of the idea of trading for Karlsson before, but after hearing their "asking price", no way would I even consider it. I think Yzerman is going to go hard after him. Tampa is the one team that could probably give up close to what Ottawa are asking, without crippling their team too much.

21 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

That shouldn't matter. You still move him and re-sign him this summer, assuming both parties are on the same page with him coming back (I think they are). Not trading Green at the deadline would be a monumental mistake.

I'm glad he likes playing in Detroit, Vanek did too, but like him, Green will get traded.  It makes zero sense to keep Green beyond the deadline.  We're not going anywhere and there is a demand for a defenseman like him right now.  It doesn't make sense to bring him back next year either.  We need his $6 mil off the books to get some of our younger stars re-signed.  Coming off an All Star season, he'd be crazy to take a pay cut, especially considering how overpaid quality defensemen are today.

6 minutes ago, xtrememachine1 said:

I'm glad he likes playing in Detroit, Vanek did too, but like him, Green will get traded.  It makes zero sense to keep Green beyond the deadline.  We're not going anywhere and there is a demand for a defenseman like him right now.  It doesn't make sense to bring him back next year either.  We need his $6 mil off the books to get some of our younger stars re-signed.  Coming off an All Star season, he'd be crazy to take a pay cut, especially considering how overpaid quality defensemen are today.

Literally nobody is suggesting this

14 minutes ago, xtrememachine1 said:

I don't understand this mentality. Green is and has been our best defenseman, and he would continue to be just that for another couple seasons (if we re-sign him). If we want / need to shed cap space, it can be done without denying our best defenseman another contract. If he truly does want to stay in Detroit, and he doesn't want to test free agency, he should be willing to take a pay cut to do so. I'm thinking he will be traded at the deadline, come back to Detroit for somewhere in the $4.5-5.5M range for another 2-3 seasons. And in my opinion, that's well worth it for a defenseman that can still put up 30-40 points a season.

14 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

Literally nobody is suggesting this

Well, @Neomaxizoomdweebie did suggest that Green might not get traded before the deadline. Not necessarily that it makes sense though. Although I would like to know if Neo would be okay with Green not being traded, or what makes him/her believe there's even a remote possibility that he doesn't...