• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Dabura

Rumors Thread

Rate this topic

So the Bruins signed Gionta to a one year $700k deal “in time for the playoffs”. I thought December 1 was the deadline to sign eligible players for the season? 

Guess he can start playing only when the playoffs start? Thats kind of a weird rule. 

8 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

I'm confused. Why do we need to trade everyone away now? The only guys where there is a sense of urgency to trade now is Green (pending UFA) and Mrazek (upcoming RFA who wasn't going to be re-signed). Every other player besides Booth (no trade value) has term left. When it comes to the TDL, term = less value. Tatar has 3 years left. Nyquist, Howard, and Ouellet all have one more year left. They'll be easier to trade this summer or next season and will get more in return. If this team is rebuilding, shouldn't we try to get the most back even if it means waiting a little longer? Why the urgency? As long as these guys aren't being re-signed or let go w/o any return, what's the big deal? I would rather wait and get a good prospect than trade now and get an average one. A 2nd rounder next year is better than a 3rd rounder this year and so on. Let's be patient and wait to see what happens before we climb aboard the annual "Holland is the worst" train.

Holland would be a bigger idiot for trading players when their stock is lower, especially when he can be patient and get a better return. That is his job isn't it?

Now, if the TDL passes and Green is still here, then flame away. If guys like Nyquist, Howard, etc aren't traded eventually and we lose them for nothing when they become UFAs, I'll be right there with you calling for Holland's head. But if and until that happens:

100% agree with the bold, everyone needs to stop being so emotional about all of this, its not like we have one more day to make a trade for the next 2 years. The goal tomorrow is to trade our soon to be UFA's. IF a great offer comes in for a guy like Tatar or Nyquist, take it, but I would rather hang on to them and trade them later, then to trade them for peanuts. 

Some people are just so eager for moves, its like they will accept anything.

5 hours ago, chaps80 said:

So the Bruins signed Gionta to a one year $700k deal “in time for the playoffs”. I thought December 1 was the deadline to sign eligible players for the season? 

Guess he can start playing only when the playoffs start? Thats kind of a weird rule. 

The December 1st deadline is for RFAs. I would think it’d be the same for UFAs but I guess not. UFAs do have more freedom than RFAs, of course.. so maybe this rule is also part of that. 

4 hours ago, kliq said:

100% agree with the bold, everyone needs to stop being so emotional about all of this, its not like we have one more day to make a trade for the next 2 years. The goal tomorrow is to trade our soon to be UFA's. IF a great offer comes in for a guy like Tatar or Nyquist, take it, but I would rather hang on to them and trade them later, then to trade them for peanuts. 

Some people are just so eager for moves, its like they will accept anything.

Peanuts is what you'll get later trying to trade them after today. This is the time when playoff teams are looking(and paying) for the extra piece that will allow them to win now. Nobody will be interested in any of those players come draft and later. Kenny pretty much said yesterday in his conference that he isn't making any deals today. He's open for business for the next two years. Meaning he probably isnt going to make any moves this deadline and nothing even until next deadline or the one after that. Green maybe. When he said he wants to maintain the culture of vets with a kid or two slowly coming in, he just means everything is going to be status quo as it's been for 5 years now. Not trading vets, not giving a kid a spot until he's proven he's earned it....blah blah blah. Get ready for a mediocre return for Green today and that's 100% it. Meanwhile you'll see players with lessor ability moving around for great returns! Once again Kenny will leave us with excuses. I wouldn't even be surprised if Green in still with us after 3.

10 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Peanuts is what you'll get later trying to trade them after today. This is the time when playoff teams are looking(and paying) for the extra piece that will allow them to win now. Nobody will be interested in any of those players come draft and later. Kenny pretty much said yesterday in his conference that he isn't making any deals today. He's open for business for the next two years. Meaning he probably isnt going to make any moves this deadline and nothing even until next deadline or the one after that. Green maybe. When he said he wants to maintain the culture of vets with a kid or two slowly coming in, he just means everything is going to be status quo as it's been for 5 years now. Not trading vets, not giving a kid a spot until he's proven he's earned it....blah blah blah. Get ready for a mediocre return for Green today and that's 100% it. Meanwhile you'll see players with lessor ability moving around for great returns! Once again Kenny will leave us with excuses. I wouldn't even be surprised if Green in still with us after 3.

Why would Tatar and Nyquist have less value at next years deadline than today?  All of the trades made so far have been for players with expiring deals. 

17 minutes ago, dmbongreyst said:

Why would Tatar and Nyquist have less value at next years deadline than today?  All of the trades made so far have been for players with expiring deals. 

I suppose I should've specified, they'll have less value at the draft and throughout summer. TDL is when a player is most valuable. Look at the prices being paid so far. 

3 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

I suppose I should've specified, they'll have less value at the draft and throughout summer. TDL is when a player is most valuable. Look at the prices being paid so far. 

Ok. I agree with that, but it isn’t do or die for anyone other than Green. 

I’d rather wait and maximize value if no one blows them away with an offer.  I’m also leery of salary retention for future seasons with as poorly as management has handled the cap the last few years 

2 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Yes but it's usually the pending UFA's that get the highest value. I personally think it's smarter to trade for players with term, but for whatever reason (I assume cap flexibility) NHL GM's would prefer rentals. Let's say (hypothetically) we can get a 3rd for Nyquist at this trade deadline, or we can get a 2nd plus a prospect at next year's deadline. Would you prefer the higher return or the instant gratification? Something tells me you'd prefer to get whatever you can now, not giving much thought into what you could potentially get in the future.

We should not be in a rush to trade players, other than Green, who will be traded today. Like others have mentioned, you don't trade Nyquist / Tatar / Howard for peanuts. That would be terrible asset management.

4 minutes ago, amato said:

Are we just using this as the trade deadline thread? 

no salary retained. 

f***. The tweet didn't load and you got me excited thinking it was a move we made.

Edited by kickazz

3 minutes ago, kickazz said:

f***. The tweet didn't load and you got me excited thinking it was a move we made.

Haha whoooops. Nope, not yet. I don’t really expect any moves from us until at least 2:00 :P this move also likely means CBJ will move Jack Johnson.. which could delay a Green move potentially? 

2 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Very rare that guys traded on trade deadline have term left on their contract.

As far as the bold, he didnt say that, I dont have the energy to argue with you about this today.

17 minutes ago, kliq said:

Very rare that guys traded on trade deadline have term left on their contract.

As far as the bold, he didnt say that, I dont have the energy to argue with you about this today.

Not verbatim, but by saying the things he said a couple of weeks ago when he said he is going to acquire assets in the form of picks, prospects and cap relief, now he says the whole "maintain the culture" garbage along with he's open for business for the next two years it's like he pretty much said nothing is imminent. If he gets his 4th round pick with conditions for Green, he'll turn his phone off for the rest of the day. It's the Holland way. Doesn't matter the high returns others are getting, Holland can't and won't get a 1st or a high prospect for Green.

When you say you'll shed cap, it means dumping your high contracts with term, when you realize nobody wants your stupid ass overpaid players, you come up with crap like "maintain the culture."

Edited by LeftWinger

2 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Not verbatim, but by saying the things he said a couple of weeks ago when he said he is going to acquire assets in the form of picks, prospects and cap relief, now he says the whole "maintain the culture" garbage along with he's open for business for the next two years it's like he pretty much said nothing is imminent. If he gets his 4th round pick with conditions for Green, he'll turn his phone off for the rest of the day. It's the Holland way. Doesn't matter the high returns others are getting, Holland can't and won't get a 1st or a high prospect for Green.

Nope, you're just freaking out.

From Khan today:

MLIVE.COM: Ansar Khan reports the Red Wings seek “a first-round pick or at least some combination involving multiple high picks and a prospect.” They’ve had extensive talks with the Lightning and Green is willing to waive his no-movement clause if a deal can be worked out with Tampa Bay. Toronto and Florida are also linked to Green, while Khan observes the Capitals lack the cap space to bring Green back to Washington. The Wings would also like to move Tomas Tatar or Gustav Nyquist. The Predators are among several clubs with interest in Tatar.

Edited by kliq

3 minutes ago, kliq said:

Nope, you're just freaking out.

From Khan today:

MLIVE.COM: Ansar Khan reports the Red Wings seek “a first-round pick or at least some combination involving multiple high picks and a prospect.” They’ve had extensive talks with the Lightning and Green is willing to waive his no-movement clause if a deal can be worked out with Tampa Bay. Toronto and Florida are also linked to Green, while Khan observes the Capitals lack the cap space to bring Green back to Washington. The Wings would also like to move Tomas Tatar or Gustav Nyquist. The Predators are among several clubs with interest in Tatar.

Well, we'll see I guess. But I am highly skeptical, especially after his words yesterday about the culture and open for business for the next two. It just sounds like typical Holland rhetoric. 

It would be freaking awesome to get what we're looking for....or hoping for.

Green MUST be traded. 

Any trade involving Tatar/Nyquist can wait... I don't think that they will have more value next year but if we can clean up some cap space I would be for it. 

Plan should be 3-4 years... create a cap space, trade for the bad contracts (with max 3 years remaining) with high draft picks and prospects... 

Just now, LeftWinger said:

Well, we'll see I guess. But I am highly skeptical, especially after his words yesterday about the culture and open for business for the next two. It just sounds like typical Holland rhetoric. 

It would be freaking awesome to get what we're looking for....or hoping for.

People seem to really want to read the worst out of Holland's words. The maintain the culture has always been a thing around the Wings. Doesn't mean we won't trade anyone - just they believe in vets guiding the next iteration of Wings. All that says to me is they're not trading Z and Kronwall and some other vets, but we already knew that so what's the deal?

As for the "open for business next 2 years" that's showing that we're really doing a rebuild and not just patching holes to try to limp in the playoffs next year. And as others have said, potential trades like Nyquist, Helm? Tatar? etc. aren't typical deadline deals and would be done over the next couple of years. 

3 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

:lol: @ Bruins.

Hell - Green has more pts than Nash, and in few games too.

I think 30 other teams are laughing at them too. I was hoping that would dictate the prices this year, but I'm thinking GM's all feel that was severe overpayment and won't make the same mistake. 

Watching this a there are a few teams that have said they ARE looking for players with term left. Edmonton and Calgary have said it. The opportunity is there, I hope Kenny can get a deal to get rid of these contracts. Nyquist, Tatar and Helm would all look good on one of those teams.

Edited by LeftWinger