• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Dabura

Rumors Thread

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, Son of a Wing said:

It still doesn't explain why Green couldn't have been traded for a conditional pick. That's the whole point of conditional picks. 

Exactly. This is way too fishy. I think Kenny went soft. We’ve seen it many times before. 

14 minutes ago, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

If we resign him I'll be happy. Can't hate on a guy who actually wants to stay with the team.

Also, that he (allegedly) didn't want to play for Toronto makes me like him even more. That kind of Leaf hatred could mean he's a true Wing!

This is the only logical reason why Green wasn't traded: offers were low....which logically is fine because it's better than nothing, but they weren't going to be accepted simply for Holland to save face.  There is "zero" other rationale for not moving him.  Even if they let him go for nothing, it's almost a plus because it probably improves their draft standing this year.

The logic above in terms of not trading unless they got something in return that can help their team now doesn't make sense....they should be looking at the future, not the now.

IDK... 32-years-old? I don't see a re-signing happening. From the Red Wings' perspective, he's "old" for the movement we are going with. From his perspective, he probably has three (ish?) more years as a top-2 defenseman, does he want to spend them with a team that's not competing for the Cup? 

Given the questions about his medical, taking the best offer at 1:30pm would have been best, I think. And if it's medical, do what they did with Mrazek: conditional picks.

5 reg games = 3
10 reg games = 2
15 reg games = 1
6 playoff games = 1+2
10 playoff games = 1+1

Just don't get it. SOMETHING is better than nothing.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2018/02/red_wings_mike_greens_injury_p.html

Some excerpts:

"Green suffered a neck injury on a hit from Tampa Bay's Adam Erne on Feb. 15. He hasn't played since, and it affected his trade value. That's why Green remains a Red Wing past Monday's deadline, general manager Ken Holland said."

"He was open to being traded. He would have loved to have the opportunity to go to a team that had a real chance to win the Stanley Cup," Holland said. "Two teams wanted to know specifically what was going on with his injury and that had a real bearing on their decision. I think between the defensemen possibly available and the uncertainly of the injury, it all impacted it."

"Green, 32, agreed to waive his no-trade clause to go to Tampa Bay or Washington. Holland said Green did not exercise the clause to block a deal with any team."

https://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2018/2/26/17055216/green-still-wears-red-how-much-of-a-market-was-there

From Wiim:

"The last obstacle working towards a Green trade today was the holdup over Erik Karlsson and Ryan McDonagh. A team wanting to really bolster their blue line would have these two in their sights, and would view Green as a Option C. With Tampa trading for McDonagh very late in the process and other teams spending much of deadline day negotiating with Ottawa based on reports, I think that really hurt the ability to trade Green."

"My guess, and we’ll see as more information comes out, is that there just wasn’t much of a market today for Mike Green."

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/22588311/nhl-trade-deadline-winners-losers-include-rangers-capitals-flyers-rick-nash-evander-kane

Winner: Ken Holland

The GM should have been selling low on Tatar. The winger's production is down significantly in points per 60 minutes at 5-on-5 from last season to this season (1.85 to 1.01) with essentially the same ice time. His deal ($5.3 million, three more years) is too much for most teams to take on. Not only did Holland find a willing partner in the Golden Knights, but Holland made out like a bandit with a first-rounder, a second-rounder and a third-rounder. Yes, the first-round pick in 2018 will be low considering the Golden Knights' record this season, but we were impressed he mustered this much.

Loser: Ken Holland

The Detroit Red Wings had one of the few decent defensemen available in Mike Green. Several teams (Boston, Tampa Bay, Toronto and Washington, to name a few) were in a strong need of defensemen at the deadline. And somehow, Holland couldn't find a taker. Now Green will likely walk away in free agency, and Detroit -- in the process of a long rebuild -- will recoup nothing. Part of this is circumstance; Green hasn't played since he suffered a neck injury on Feb. 15 against Tampa Bay. Even still, it's an unfortunate turn for a team that is straddled by big contracts and needs to be collecting assets.

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

2 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

The problem is that our stupid gm doesnt work more than 3 days a year.  Holland shpuld have traded Green to Tampa 2 months ago.  For whatever he could get.  

Had we traded him 2 months ago, the offer would have likely been a 2nd rounder. Why would TB give up a 1st round pick for their 3rd choice two months before they need to?

I hope we can sign Green on the cheap for 2-3 years and continue getting rid of bad contracts. Tatar should have never been signed this last year, glad we moved him and that contract before the NTC clause kicked in. We need to lock AA, Mantha and Larkin up to good deals long term. 

18 minutes ago, MileHighWingsGuy said:

I hope we can sign Green on the cheap for 2-3 years and continue getting rid of bad contracts. Tatar should have never been signed this last year, glad we moved him and that contract before the NTC clause kicked in. We need to lock AA, Mantha and Larkin up to good deals long term. 

Are you saying we should have not qualified him? Or signed him to a 1 year deal?

I always feel a little "wft?" at these sort of NTC/NMC things. Basically Green said he'd go to a favourite team or a team who's pretty much odds-on to win the cup. There's really no room to work there, considering he wasn't Tampa's first choice is seems. Which leaves Washington who had no space.

I read a few bits about players saying they'd waive their clauses to go to Tampa... well no **** of course you would, but the best team in the league is only really going to look at 2 guys across the whole league most likely, that they have any chance to get at a worthwhile price.

Think there was way too many conditions going against us to get anything done for Green. I didn't really expect us to make any moves, so the haul for Tatar was nice (but I'm sad seeing him go).

Would like to see him re-sign unless there is a better option in FA - which there isn't (minus Carlson, who won't sign here). Guess it's Green or trade.

14 hours ago, kliq said:

Or even just giving a modified NTC, I am fine with "submit a list of 10 teams you won't go to", nobody wants to end up in Arizona lol.

The thing is modified NTC's are usually just as effective for the player as full NTC's, especially at the deadline. There are usually only a handful of teams that want to trade for these players this time of year. If Green only wanted to go to Tampa or Washington, he'd essentially be able to do that with a modified NTC (10 team no-go list). His list would include the top teams that would most likely be looking to trade for him, not the bottom feeders, because he knows damn well that teams like Arizona aren't selling off assets for a rental...