• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Dabura

Rumors Thread

Rate this topic

I have to imagine they move Ouellet and Jensen at the draft or prior to the season starting. I would like to see Kronwall split time with Hicketts this season. That will give Hicketts (being smaller) a chance to ease his way into the play and give the staff a good time to evaluate him at this level to know if he's going to be good going forward. I really do think Hronek is ready to jump up and would love to see him on the 3rd pairing from the get-go. I feel like it's 50/50 with Green coming back. On one hand, he's comfortable here and likes it here and on the other, this may be his last chance to really push for a cup win. If I'm him, I go to the Caps, TB, or Vegas and sign a 3-4 year deal at a lower cap hit. I just never cared for Green (at $6 million). He's not the offensive threat he used to be and a lot of times he does seem to disappear from the play. I understand he'd be a good player for Hronek to learn from, but I'm not sure how much that really matters anyway.

20 hours ago, SwedeLundin77 said:

So Khan indicates that if Green doesn’t sign here, they’re going in on Carlson. Not sure I like that move, given the cost. He won’t come here, but yeah, I’d rather make a trade for Faulk, Hanafin, or Bean.

In a straight up comparison, I would certainly choose Carlson over Green. But with all facts considered, I would rather see Green signed than Carlson. Why? Green is much older, yes, but on only a max 2 year deal, he is the safer and cheaper bet. I would consider Carlson on a max 6 year deal at 7 mil AAV, but he'll get more than that somewhere else. We have to remember that by the time this team is a contender again Carlson will be on the downslide. He may still be a serviceable defenseman then, but his cap hit could hurt the team's ability to re-sign core players at a time when the team is on an upswing. Unless a guy is a true, young, "building block" like Larkin or Ras, we shouldn't be signing 28 year-olds to long term contracts. It's too much of a risk for a team in rebuild mode.

4 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

In a straight up comparison, I would certainly choose Carlson over Green. But with all facts considered, I would rather see Green signed than Carlson. Why? Green is much older, yes, but on only a max 2 year deal, he is the safer and cheaper bet. I would consider Carlson on a max 6 year deal at 7 mil AAV, but he'll get more than that somewhere else. We have to remember that by the time this team is a contender again Carlson will be on the downslide. He may still be a serviceable defenseman then, but his cap hit could hurt the team's ability to re-sign core players at a time when the team is on an upswing. Unless a guy is a true, young, "building block" like Larkin or Ras, we shouldn't be signing 28 year-olds to long term contracts. It's too much of a risk for a team in rebuild mode.

Oh, I completely agree. I mean, I'm fine if Green goes elsewhere because it serves the rebuild just fine and gives the kids a better shot at making the roster (Hicketts and Hronek). It'd be nice to suss out if Hicketts can stick and be a viable 5/6 guy with powerplay upside. I just mentioned Faulk because we can, hopefully, dump a contract or two in the move and his contract is up in 2 years which gives some flexibility. In an ideal world, we make a trade for Hanafin, Bean, Trouba...

21 minutes ago, SwedeLundin77 said:

Oh, I completely agree. I mean, I'm fine if Green goes elsewhere because it serves the rebuild just fine and gives the kids a better shot at making the roster (Hicketts and Hronek). It'd be nice to suss out if Hicketts can stick and be a viable 5/6 guy with powerplay upside. I just mentioned Faulk because we can, hopefully, dump a contract or two in the move and his contract is up in 2 years which gives some flexibility. In an ideal world, we make a trade for Hanafin, Bean, Trouba...

If Hronek and Hicketts can't climb over Ericsson, Ouellet, and Jensen with one hand, then they don't deserve to be on the roster at all. Sign Green.

1 hour ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

If Hronek and Hicketts can't climb over Ericsson, Ouellet, and Jensen with one hand, then they don't deserve to be on the roster at all. Sign Green.

The coach and GM have to be willing to have spots available. This staff has shown, up until now, that veterans can do no wrong but that youth have to play like all-stars in 6-8 minutes per game in order to have a shot. It’s bassackward. Again, really happy you’re not in charge of any facet of player development because everyone would be sucktastic. Would you agree that there are players that haven’t come into their own until later in their careers? Blake Wheeler comes to mind. 

44 minutes ago, SwedeLundin77 said:

The coach and GM have to be willing to have spots available. This staff has shown, up until now, that veterans can do no wrong but that youth have to play like all-stars in 6-8 minutes per game in order to have a shot. It’s bassackward. Again, really happy you’re not in charge of any facet of player development because everyone would be sucktastic. Would you agree that there are players that haven’t come into their own until later in their careers? Blake Wheeler comes to mind. 

No, this is the first time I've ever been interested in hockey, and I had no idea that different players take different amounts of time to develop. Thanks for teaching me.

I like the exaggeration, but Hronek and Hicketts just have to play better than E, XO, and Jensen (who are trash) for 6-8 minutes each game. Not 6-8 minutes of all-star play like you hyperbolicly suggest.

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

4 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

No, this is the first time I've ever been interested in hockey, and I had no idea that different players take different amounts of time to develop. Thanks for teaching me.

I like the exaggeration, but Hronek and Hicketts just have to play better than E, XO, and Jensen (who are trash) for 6-8 minutes each game. Not 6-8 minutes of all-star play like you hyperbolicly suggest.

So, are you saying that Hicketts didn't outplay the guys you mentioned last year in training camp / pre-season and eventually regular season? He absolutely did, yet he didn't get the call until that one game in January, immediately got sent down (after playing well), and then 4 consecutive games in March / April. I'm not saying Hicketts is going to be great. I don't even think he'll be anything more than a bottom pairing defenseman. But to say "all he has to do is outplay player x, y, and z" is just not accurate, and I think you know that. Like it or not, for good or bad, this organization has always valued veterans over the kids. "Tie goes to the vet". That's not even true though. We've seen young players not only "tie", but outplay older players, and still get sent down. If Holland truly is embracing the rebuild (like he's said he is), the kids should get the nod ahead of some of the vets. Hopefully that's the case over the next few years. We'll see what happens...

2 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

So, are you saying that Hicketts didn't outplay the guys you mentioned last year in training camp / pre-season and eventually regular season? He absolutely did, yet he didn't get the call until that one game in January, immediately got sent down (after playing well), and then 4 consecutive games in March / April. I'm not saying Hicketts is going to be great. I don't even think he'll be anything more than a bottom pairing defenseman. But to say "all he has to do is outplay player x, y, and z" is just not accurate, and I think you know that. Like it or not, for good or bad, this organization has always valued veterans over the kids. "Tie goes to the vet". That's not even true though. We've seen young players not only "tie", but outplay older players, and still get sent down. If Holland truly is embracing the rebuild (like he's said he is), the kids should get the nod ahead of some of the vets. Hopefully that's the case over the next few years. We'll see what happens...

This... it’s not an exaggeration and thanks, Christopher, for admitting that development differs from player to player. 

3 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Yup

52 minutes ago, SwedeLundin77 said:

This... it’s not an exaggeration and thanks, Christopher, for admitting that development differs from player to player. 

I admit nothing

1 minute ago, krsmith17 said:

Yes. I'm the only person that thinks Hicketts "earned a spot" out of camp last season.

Well name someone brotha

Hicketts couldn't even out score Lashoff and Mcilrath on the Grifffins last year. Russo and Hronek had far superior seasons in the minors. Yet, Hicketts deserved to be on the Red Wings? Your stoned.

2 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Yes. I'm the only person that thinks Hicketts "earned a spot" out of camp last season.

You can't always go by camp though. 

In camp Rasmussen >> Hicketts and they send his ass back to Jr. 

Maybe they wanted lil Joe to have a bigger role in Grand Rapids. 

1 minute ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Well name someone brotha

Hicketts couldn't even out score Lashoff and Mcilrath on the Grifffins last year. Russo and Hronek had far superior seasons in the minors. Yet, Hicketts deserved to be on the Red Wings? Your stoned.

But he's tiny and has overcome great odds and always looks like he's doing stuff. Plucky! That's the word. 

3 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Well name someone brotha

Some players are more suited for the NHL than AHL. I think Hicketts is one of those players. He had an abysmal year in Grand Rapids, there's no denying that. But when he played in Detroit, he played very well (better than some of the "vets").

I don't want this to turn into a debate about Hicketts though, because that's not what I intended. Again, I'm not that high on Hicketts. If he makes it, great, if not, oh well. Just give him (and other young players) the opportunity. My point is, if we're serious about rebuilding, "tie goes to the vet" needs to be gone. It should now be "tie goes to the kid". If Hicketts (or any young player) proves he can play as good (or better than) Ericsson (or any vet), he should get the spot. Get younger and shed cap space.

12 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

You can't always go by camp though. 

In camp Rasmussen >> Hicketts and they send his ass back to Jr. 

Maybe they wanted lil Joe to have a bigger role in Grand Rapids. 

There's a bit of a difference between an 18 year old and 21 year old making the team though. Again, this isn't necessarily about Hicketts. I just want the young players to be given more of an opportunity. Rasmussen, Svechnikov, Hronek, Cholowski and Hicketts should be given every opportunity to make the team out of camp.

They should all have to earn it, but by earn it, that should just mean being one of the 12 best forwards / 6 best defensemen. I don't think that's been the case in the past. Hopefully that mind set is starting to change.

24 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Some players are more suited for the NHL than AHL. I think Hicketts is one of those players. He had an abysmal year in Grand Rapids, there's no denying that. But when he played in Detroit, he played very well (better than some of the "vets").

I don't want this to turn into a debate about Hicketts though, because that's not what I intended. Again, I'm not that high on Hicketts. If he makes it, great, if not, oh well. Just give him (and other young players) the opportunity. My point is, if we're serious about rebuilding, "tie goes to the vet" needs to be gone. It should now be "tie goes to the kid". If Hicketts (or any young player) proves he can play as good (or better than) Ericsson (or any vet), he should get the spot. Get younger and shed cap space.

There's a bit of a difference between an 18 year old and 21 year old making the team though. Again, this isn't necessarily about Hicketts. I just want the young players to be given more of an opportunity. Rasmussen, Svechnikov, Hronek, Cholowski and Hicketts should be given every opportunity to make the team out of camp.

They should all have to earn it, but by earn it, that should just mean being one of the 12 best forwards / 6 best defensemen. I don't think that's been the case in the past. Hopefully that mind set is starting to change.

Mike Mckee just wasn't suited for college, he belongs in the NHL... Yeah no, I'm not gonna let you get away with that "logic". He not only couldn't outplay Ericsson, Ouellet, and Jensen, he also couldn't outplay Lashoff, Russo, Hronek, and Mcilrath. If those AHL guys arne't making the NHL roster then neither should Hicketts. Hicketts got his taste, and the Red Wings got their look. But you're acting like we snubbed a bonafide NHL player from a roster spot... we're not. I'm expecting to hear him described as a top 4 puck moving Dman that doesn't score (but that doesn't matter) shortly

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs