• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Dabura

Rumors Thread

Rate this topic

11 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Holland is going to regret passing on Zykov. How often it's said that Detroit needs a scoring right winger, yet he let's a free one go through his hands. Sometimes Holland is an idiot.

What do you mean by scoring right winger?

Zykov's bread n butter is his net front presence. He cleans up the front of the net on the PP. That's where the good majority of his goals are scored.

His 5 on 5 play is meh. His skating is meh. His work ethic is meh. His shot is meh. Basically he's an extremely 1-dimensional niche player like Frk or Pulkkinen, etc. But to his credit he is an absolute monster in front of the net.

Carolina really didn't need a net-front PP man, which basically made him useless to Brind'Amour. I don't think he'd be much use to us either. We already have Ras, Mantha, Abby, and Tuzzi who can fill that role, plus add their other skill sets to the lineup.

That all being said, if Hitchcock puts him on a line with McD and Draisiatal, and Zykoz just screens while they run and around do their thing, circa early 2000s Holmstrom/Datsyuk/Zetterberg, then I think he could find some good success in that role.

6 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Zykov's bread n butter is his net front presence. He cleans up the front of the net on the PP. That's where the good majority of his goals are scored.

His 5 on 5 play is meh. His skating is meh. His work ethic is meh. His shot is meh. Basically he's an extremely 1-dimensional niche player like Frk or Pulkkinen, etc. But to his credit he is an absolute monster in front of the net.

Carolina really didn't need a net-front PP man, which basically made him useless to Brind'Amour. I don't think he'd be much use to us either. We already have Ras, Mantha, Abby, and Tuzzi who can fill that role, plus add their other skill sets to the lineup.

That all being said, if Hitchcock puts him on a line with McD and Draisiatal, and Zykoz just screens while they run and around do their thing, circa early 2000s Holmstrom/Datsyuk/Zetterberg, then I think he could find some good success in that role.

I've read Meh makes a living where it's dirty...

meh.jpg

13 minutes ago, Dabura said:

For all we know, Zykov has an attitude problem or something. I mean, Carolina felt it was acceptable to give him up for nothing and they're a team that's always looking for scoring depth. *shrug*

This.  You'd have to think there is something on this guy that is known by these GM's (and not publicized) and turning them off.

23 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Thanks for the insight, scout bro. I don't know much about him, but what you're saying makes sense.

39 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Except for the work ethic...sounds like Homer 2.0.  Sign his ass now!!!!

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

He'd be better than Abby up there. Imagine the same with Larkin and Mantha running around. Oh well. It was a missed opportunity, but Holland would rather stick with his loyalty plan.

Like I said, his specialty is netfront on the PP. Mantha and Ras play that position, not Abby. Zykov is not better than Ras or Mantha. Therefore he'd just be regulated to our 4th line and be just about as useful to us as he was to Carolina. 

My comments about Draisaitl/McD/Zykov were a HUGE reach. I think Zykov could find sucess in that very specific scenario, but lets be real this kid is no Holmstrom yet.

EDIT: and not to be a downer, but I dont believe Larkin or Mantha could accomplish what Dats and Z did with Homer. That unique setup worked because Dats and Z were so overwhelmingly dominant. Neither Larkin or Mantha is at that level yet. 

The other often overlooked part of the Z/Dats/Homer line was Lidstrom. Lids and Homers chemistry was undeniable and a lot of Homers deflections/goals were coming off #5s shot/feed. Oilers dont have a Lids and we dont either.

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

14 minutes ago, Dabura said:

Apologies if this has already been brought up:

McKenzie on Red Wings' potential trade mindset [Nichols on Hockey]

I like this. If Holland decides to pull the trigger itll basically be a guaranteed good trade for us. He doesnt feel the pressure to sell just to sell. However, I would like to unload Nyquist if possible unless goose is ready to sign a helluva bargain deal for the Red Wings. Hes good production this year should drive up his trade value nicely. Anyone know what the terms of his NTC are?

Nylander stuff:

NHL Rumors: Philadelphia Flyers, and the Toronto Maple Leafs [My NHL Trade Rumors]

• Flyers looking at Nylander
  • The Leafs likely won't get full value if they trade Nylander
  • Nylander's last season in Toronto even if they re-sign him?

Chris Nichols of Nichols on Hockey: Elliotte Friedman was on Sportnet’s Tim and Sid show and was asked about William Nylander‘s future with the team. Even if the Toronto Maple Leafs are able to sign William Nylander, Friedman believes it will be his last season in Toronto regardless.

"The one thing I do believe, no matter what happens, is that this will be William Nylander's final season as a Toronto Maple Leaf," asserted Friedman. Whether he signs or whether he doesn't, this is going to be it. And even if he does sign, I think Toronto trades him by the draft at the latest."

"One way or the other, I think this is over," he added. "I would be surprised if he played for Toronto next season."

Elliotte Friedman is arguably the hockey world's most credible rumormonger not named Bob McKenzie, so the fact that he firmly believes Nylander is on the way out of Toronto is pretty big.

I doubt the Wings are in on Nylander. And maybe that's kind of a shame. Because, honestly, I think something like Mantha/Athanasiou + one or two of [insert long list of viable sweeteners, e.g. Nyquist, Glendening, Hronek] is pretty close to equal value.

1 hour ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I like this. If Holland decides to pull the trigger itll basically be a guaranteed good trade for us. He doesnt feel the pressure to sell just to sell. However, I would like to unload Nyquist if possible unless goose is ready to sign a helluva bargain deal for the Red Wings. Hes good production this year should drive up his trade value nicely. Anyone know what the terms of his NTC are?

I believe it's the standard NTC where the player provides a list of "DO NOT WANT" teams.

Maybe Nyquist likes being a Red Wing enough that he'd be willing to sign a really team-friendly new deal. But if I'm Nyquist, I'm probably looking to Get Paid. He deserves that bread and I'm sure he could get it on the open market. So, yeah. Unless he's really gung ho about staying in Detroit and is willing to sign a team-friendly deal, I'm looking to trade him and I'm not expecting him to come back.

I think it's a different situation with Howard; I think he's more valuable to the Wings and I doubt any of the offers he'd get on the open market would be much bigger than what we'd be willing to offer him -- and goalies don't seem to get you much on the trade market these days. So I'm ok with not trading him.

I trust Holland, for the most part. He knows what's up.

1 hour ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Inside source is saying Nylander has verbally agreed to a contract with the Leafs. 6 years at 7 mill AAV

Link that s***.

3 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

https://thehockeywriters.com/detroit-red-wings-no-trade-clauses/

Gustav Nyquist

Detroit’s speedy forward signed a four-year contract extension back in 2015 that came with a full NTC in the final two years. Entering the last season of the deal, Nyquist can control his destiny if the Red Wings choose to shop him as a rental at the 2019 NHL trade deadline. If Detroit is struggling and not planning on offering Nyquist a new contract, it would not be surprising to see the winger waive his clause in order to play for a contender.

3 hours ago, Dabura said:

I believe it's the standard NTC where the player provides a list of "DO NOT WANT" teams.

Maybe Nyquist likes being a Red Wing enough that he'd be willing to sign a really team-friendly new deal. But if I'm Nyquist, I'm probably looking to Get Paid. He deserves that bread and I'm sure he could get it on the open market. So, yeah. Unless he's really gung ho about staying in Detroit and is willing to sign a team-friendly deal, I'm looking to trade him and I'm not expecting him to come back.

I think it's a different situation with Howard; I think he's more valuable to the Wings and I doubt any of the offers he'd get on the open market would be much bigger than what we'd be willing to offer him -- and goalies don't seem to get you much on the trade market these days. So I'm ok with not trading him.

I trust Holland, for the most part. He knows what's up.

Link that s***.

It's not a an official source and I think it might be BS now: grapefruitspoons

grapefruitspoons is a user who frequents r/Leafs over at reddit. He reported the Tavares signing before any of the major networks and reported the Ennis signing before anyone else. So he's developed some credibility... but he just deleted his account today after reporting this... so maybe he F'ed up

56 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

It's not a an official source and I think it might be BS now: grapefruitspoons

grapefruitspoons is a user who frequents r/Leafs over at reddit. He reported the Tavares signing before any of the major networks and reported the Ennis signing before anyone else. So he's developed some credibility... but he just deleted his account today after reporting this... so maybe he F'ed up

Grapefruits are Fake News. SAD!

5 hours ago, Dabura said:

Grapefruits are Fake News. SAD!

He definitely works for or knows someone who works for the Leafs. When he dropped the Nylander news people on r/Leafs believed him this go around and twitter started picking it up (unlike the last two times). I figure he either found out he was passing BS and deleted his account out of shame. Or he saw the attention he was getting and deleted his account before anyone could dig thru his history and figure out who he was. Anyway, consider it fake news at this point.

33 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

Was there any substance on the talks/rumors between the Leafs, and Philly?

I'd assume the Leafs would want a Dman in return...Right?

Of course there was. Holmgren fired Hextall purely cause he saw the opportunity to relive his old wild tradin' days.

Pwkp8JJ.png

23 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Would you let go of Cholo for Nylander?

On the fence to be honest.

Which of these 2 has a larger upside to their respective position?

How many 'quality' D prospects to we have when compared to our forward prospects?

Willie might be the better player right now, but I could see Cholo improving his all around game, and be a legit top pairing Dman in 3, or 4 years from now.

If I had to answer right this minute...I'd say NO - why?.. Cuz Willie comes across as a selfish little prick who wants the $$$ he hasn't earned just yet.

40 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

On the fence to be honest.

Which of these 2 has a larger upside to their respective position?

How many 'quality' D prospects to we have when compared to our forward prospects?

Willie might be the better player right now, but I could see Cholo improving his all around game, and be a legit top pairing Dman in 3, or 4 years from now.

If I had to answer right this minute...I'd say NO - why?.. Cuz Willie comes across as a selfish little prick who wants the $$$ he hasn't earned just yet.

How about Nyquist, Saarijarvi, and 2020 1st for Nylander?  

My dream is to end up with Nylander, Stone, and Karlsson without having to give up any of our core.

Zadina-Larkin-Stone

Mantha-Athanasiou-Nylander

Hughes-Rasmussen--Frk

Bertuzzi-Veleno-Glendening

Cholowski-Karlsson

McIsaac-Hronek

Sulak-Witkowski

Rebuild Over.

Babs loves him some Nyquist, Helm and Glenny. 

1 minute ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

How about Nyquist, Saarijarvi, and 2020 1st for Nylander?  

My dream is to end up with Nylander, Stone, and Karlsson without having to give up any of our core.

Zadina-Larkin-Stone

Mantha-Athanasiou-Nylander

Hughes-Rasmussen--Frk

Bertuzzi-Veleno-Glendening

Cholowski-Karlsson

McIsaac-Hronek

Sulak-Witkowski

Rebuild Over.

If they'd take it, I'd do Nyquist, Glenny, Hronek and 2020 1st.