• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Dabura

Rumors Thread

Rate this topic

7 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Agreed.  Jensen has become a good middle pairing Dman.  I am surprised he and/or Green did not end up in Toronto.

Seems to me like Jensen is exactly the kind of player the Leafs should be targeting.

Getterdunken.

5 hours ago, Akakabuto said:

I meant that we should trade Jensen this deadline. Seems there’s some buzz around him and if we can get a 2nd or multiple picks we should do it. 

4 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Agreed.  Jensen has become a good middle pairing Dman.  I am surprised he and/or Green did not end up in Toronto.

Disagree here. Jensen is a decent, reliable 3rd pairing D and a right handed shot. He also is still relatively young. The draft pick that Holland would get back by trading him wouldnt be high enough to make it worth trading him IMO. In Jensen's case, the player is worth more than the potential of the return. Just re-sign him instead.

7 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Disagree here. Jensen is a decent, reliable 3rd pairing D and a right handed shot. He also is still relatively young. The draft pick that Holland would get back by trading him wouldnt be high enough to make it worth trading him IMO. In Jensen's case, the player is worth more than the potential of the return. Just re-sign him instead.

I think its good to be wary of bottom pairing defensemen(and bottom six forwards) having a good/great contract year. Let someone else sign them to contracts they will never live up to. Before this season it looked like Jensen didn't even have a spot on this team.

7 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Yeah, I'm with you. Jensen is a solid 3rd pairing defenseman. If we could get a 2nd round pick, I'd consider it, but the most we'd probably get would be a 3rd round pick, in which case, the return wouldn't be worth it in my opinion.

I can see the reasoning behind trading him for some people though. We need to free up roster spots. But for me, Jensen isn't the guy to move. I'd much rather trade Daley for a 4th or 5th round pick, then trade Jensen for a 3rd. Jensen is younger, cheaper, right-handed, and just a better defenseman. Daley may even be viewed as a better fit for some teams. He's got plenty experience and has actually won a couple Cups. The injury may hurt his trade value, but he appears to be getting close to a return now. So if he could get into 4 or 5 games before the deadline, we may be able to trade him...

Ideally, I'd like to trade Daley at the deadline for a mid round pick, and let Kronwall walk (retire) after this season. Go into next season with...

Cholowski - Green

Ericsson - Hronek

DeKeyser - Jensen

Trade Ericsson at next year's deadline, or just let him walk (retire) after next season. Go hard after Trouba in the offseason. Promote McIsaac if he's ready.

That defensive group will still need more help in my opinion, whether that's through the draft, trade, or free agency, we need to add another top tier defenseman... Easier said than done.

13 minutes ago, Akakabuto said:

I think its good to be wary of bottom pairing defensemen(and bottom six forwards) having a good/great contract year. Let someone else sign them to contracts they will never live up to. Before this season it looked like Jensen didn't even have a spot on this team.

It depends on what you think Jensen would be asking on his next contract. He's currently making $812.5K. I can't see him making any more than $2-2.5M on a 2 or 3 year extension, and in my opinion he's worth that as a bottom pairing defenseman.

5 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

It depends on what you think Jensen would be asking on his next contract. He's currently making $812.5K. I can't see him making any more than $2-2.5M on a 2 or 3 year extension, and in my opinion he's worth that as a bottom pairing defenseman.

I guess I could live with that. But I'm thinking he's gonna ask for more. And what if he starts to suck again and we have to carry a cap-hit of 2,9 m for 4 years? And doing so through a rebuild, if all the pieces falls the way we want them to cap-hit could be a hot commodity again for the red wings real soon. 

Also, I hope that we don't sign any extensions(other than one-year terms) for any player over 26 before Stevie takes over. 

31 minutes ago, Akakabuto said:

I guess I could live with that. But I'm thinking he's gonna ask for more. And what if he starts to suck again and we have to carry a cap-hit of 2,9 m for 4 years? And doing so through a rebuild, if all the pieces falls the way we want them to cap-hit could be a hot commodity again for the red wings real soon. 

Also, I hope that we don't sign any extensions(other than one-year terms) for any player over 26 before Stevie takes over. 

I don't see how he has the leverage to command more than $2.5M. That's a conversation that could be had before the deadline though. If he isn't willing to sign a short term deal for a reasonable cap hit, trade him.

Suck again? I guess that's where we disagree. I don't think Jensen has ever sucked. I think he's always been a reliable 3rd paring defenseman, that can skate and carry the puck, and put up 15-20 points. That's great value for a bottom pairing defenseman.

Edited by krsmith17

50 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Suck again? I guess that's where we disagree. I don't think Jensen has ever sucked. I think he's always been a reliable 3rd paring defenseman, that can skate and carry the puck, and put up 15-20 points. That's great value for a bottom pairing defenseman

”Suck” is a bit harsh maybe. But I believe we can find an equally serviceble d-man for next season for the same cost of this seasons Jensen. No need to pay more.

12 minutes ago, Akakabuto said:

”Suck” is a bit harsh maybe. But I believe we can find an equally serviceble d-man for next season for the same cost of this seasons Jensen. No need to pay more.

You think we can find a defenseman as good as Jensen that plays on the right side for under $1M? I don't see it. We don't have any in the system that could come in and fill Jensen's skates, aside from Hronek, and he will be on the team next season regardless. I'd take Jensen over any of Hicketts, Sulak or Saarijarvi at this point.

Going the UFA route, I highly doubt you'd be able to find a defenseman around the same age, and value for production as Jensen. I'm not completely opposed to trading Jensen, I just don't see the value coming back outweighing the player we'd be losing.

Too many variables here to really know.  In theory I'd be willing to trade Jensen OR re-sign Jensen depending on a few things.  Is Kronwall retiring?  Do we get an NHL ready defensive prospect at the trade deadline? What term might Jensen want on a new deal? 

Hypothetically, if the Wings got Fabbro (I'd rather have Toews) as a return at the deadline then you probably need to trade Jensen.  If we don't get a defensive prospect a the TDL, and we're not planning on chasing a UFA defenseman, and Kronwall is retiring then we need to re-sign him.  This is the calculus Holland and co. need to navigate on this one. 

24 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I'm not completely opposed to trading Jensen, I just don't see the value coming back outweighing the player we'd be losing.

And I'm not completely against keeping him either  I just fear(that if he stays) this will be the best year of his career.  

2 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Ideally, I'd like to trade Daley at the deadline for a mid round pick, and let Kronwall walk (retire) after this season. Go into next season with...

Cholowski - Green

Ericsson - Hronek

DeKeyser - Jensen

Trade Ericsson at next year's deadline, or just let him walk (retire) after next season. Go hard after Trouba in the offseason. Promote McIsaac if he's ready.

That defensive group will still need more help in my opinion, whether that's through the draft, trade, or free agency, we need to add another top tier defenseman... Easier said than done.

I predict that Daley gets traded next TDL and is not brought back and E does not get traded and also gets re-signed to a 3 yr deal. LGW goes ballistic and the site crashes.

I actually see Jensen as a Daly type guy.  Since he's never been all that offensive anyway, there's not much of a fear that his production will drop off.  His longevity is almost entirely dependent on how well he can continue to skate and defend.  And I don't see either of those things going away.  IF we re-sign him, I wouldn't do it for too much money.  But I'd expect his value to remain pretty constant for the next 4-5 years because what he does well doesn't go away overnight the way offensive production can. 

Edited by kipwinger

19 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

I predict that Daley gets traded next TDL and is not brought back and E does not get traded and also gets re-signed to a 3 yr deal. LGW goes ballistic and the site crashes.

... and rightfully so...

I can see it, but an Ericsson extension only happen under Holland, which is pretty much the only reason I'd be okay with Holland moving on. He's sometimes loyal to a fault, and re-signing Ericsson would be a huge mistake.

4 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

... and rightfully so...

I can see it, but an Ericsson extension only happen under Holland, which is pretty much the only reason I'd be okay with Holland moving on. He's sometimes loyal to a fault, and re-signing Ericsson would be a huge mistake.

If that happens, this team will be a joke for a long long time. 

Just a quick note. Jensen has ALWAYS had a spot on this team, for pete's sake he was protected in the expansion draft. Whoever the guy is that said "before this season"  it looked like he had no spot on the team should really look back into that assumption.

Also, while I am here for a minute, I am ok with Blashill coming back, he does play some kids alot, we just have to get rid of the vets that he plays so he has no choice but to play more kids.

Ironic about Stevie "running the team" in the background.  No, the info about him taking over Jan 1 was off, but when I asked my buddy about what I read here, he said when he asked Russ, Russ told him he is sworn to secrecy when it comes to Yzerman now. Whatever happens and whenever, it is all getting VERY interesting!

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

Just a quick note. Jensen has ALWAYS had a spot on this team, for pete's sake he was protected in the expansion draft. Whoever the guy is that said "before this season"  it looked like he had no spot on the team should really look back into that assumption.

Also, while I am here for a minute, I am ok with Blashill coming back, he does play some kids alot, we just have to get rid of the vets that he plays so he has no choice but to play more kids.

Ironic about Stevie "running the team" in the background.  No, the info about him taking over Jan 1 was off, but when I asked my buddy about what I read here, he said when he asked Russ, Russ told him he is sworn to secrecy when it comes to Yzerman now. Whatever happens and whenever, it is all getting VERY interesting!

Welcome back

Whoever the guy is that said "before this season"  it looked like he had no spot on the team should really look back into that assumption.

Perhaps I worded that badly(with english not being my first language) but if I recall correctly a lot of posters on this board put him down as a sixth-seventh d-man and/or wanted him gone last offseason. This being on one of the worst bluelines to ever grace the NHL  

Also considering last season being his first as a full time Red Wing I don’t get what you mean by ’always’.

Anyway; I don’t dislike Jensen. I just think that Kenny should look for picks wherever he can find them. Being where Detroit are in the phase of the rebuild. And as I mentioned earlier, I don’t like signing mediocre/average players after them having a better career year. Thats how Ericsson happened  

I know that I’m new here and maybe I’m sticking my neck out a little bit saying that players suck. Not trying to stir s*** up. 

Peace. 

I basically meant to say, you weren't only right, Stevie took over sooner than you even predicted...

What's the plan the day Ken steps down? You gonna light a cigar?