• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

kickazz

Hockey Fights 2017/18

Rate this topic

Just now, F.Michael said:

I'm seriously tempted to pull the trigger on a retro Flames Tim Hunter jersey at SportsK.com.

Go for it.  Their jersey back then was awesome.  Wish they never got rid of it a few years ago.  How about the Tim Hunter Canucks jersey from the early 90's?  

9 hours ago, F.Michael said:

While true - however - I thinks it's safe to say that the majority of injuries today are due to collisions, and contact that don't involve fisticuffs.

CTE is caused by repeat blows to the head, and guys who fight and fight frequently taking blows to the head. It is what it is. I love fighting, as a kid I used to get pumped for a fight, but in 2017 knowing what we know, I just dont see it lasting much longer, especially when its not a necessity to the game. 

But long story short, going back to the original argument, the PA would not be against protecting the players long term health. You can live your life with a knee problem or a shoulder problem etc. Brain damage is an entirely different animal which can lead to a lot of awful symptoms and unfortunately in a lot of cases suicide. 

Don't kill the messenger. I don't want fighting to go away. I grew up watching the true enforcer era. I understand and agree with the argument for it. Players policing themselves, cheap shots decrease when players know they'll have to answer for it. I agree with that, I'm sure the NHLPA would prefer it that way to. But that doesn't change the fact that the league is moving away from it due in large part to liability and fear of lawsuits, even though they won't admit it.

I'm not a Proteau fan BTW, but:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/nhl-fighting-cultures-biggest-foe-is-the-legal-system

Another very wordy article with a lot of legalese written by a law firm, but still very interesting.

https://robichaudlaw.ca/five-fighting-nhls-legal-liability-long-term-health-effects-fighting-enforcers/

14 hours ago, F.Michael said:

I'd think the NFL. boxing, and MMA have a lot more to be worried about than the NHL.

Of course, but its not as if the NHL is going to say "well, since the NFL has more to worry about, we arent going to do anything"

Boxing and MMA are different, because the sports are punching in the head. You either kill the sport, or allow it. The NFL is not going to look the same in 5 years, things are going to change there.

The NHL doesnt NEED fighting to survive, hence its going to be taken out. Don't shoot the messenger.

On 9/11/2017 at 8:07 PM, kliq said:

Of course, but its not as if the NHL is going to say "well, since the NFL has more to worry about, we arent going to do anything"

Boxing and MMA are different, because the sports are punching in the head. You either kill the sport, or allow it. The NFL is not going to look the same in 5 years, things are going to change there.

The NHL doesnt NEED fighting to survive, hence its going to be taken out. Don't shoot the messenger.

a8f1dd7eadc58bd10f17a6fae31cd0009f792717

17 minutes ago, NerveDamage said:

talk about fighting and injuries.

What a wimp.  He should have destroyed Brouwer, instead he gets a fractured cheekbone.  Nyquist needs to teach this woman how to b***h slap at least.  

Edited by GMRwings1983

On 11/8/2017 at 10:49 PM, kliq said:

CTE is caused by repeat blows to the head, and guys who fight and fight frequently taking blows to the head. It is what it is. I love fighting, as a kid I used to get pumped for a fight, but in 2017 knowing what we know, I just dont see it lasting much longer, especially when its not a necessity to the game. 

But long story short, going back to the original argument, the PA would not be against protecting the players long term health. You can live your life with a knee problem or a shoulder problem etc. Brain damage is an entirely different animal which can lead to a lot of awful symptoms and unfortunately in a lot of cases suicide. 

It's called entertainment.....  Even though I still watch it's becoming boring every year with or without the fights.  Besides this is about fighting not about if it's supposed to continue to be part of the game....

Edited by Hockeymom1960

Something that has been bugging me since the line brawl with the flames. Why was ericsson standing there not protecting his G? I dont expect Nyquist or Z to get involved in the rough stuff, not their game. But it is part of Ericssons-he is pretty good at it. Standing there when your freaking G is getting involved is not cool at all. Howard has been awesome when healthy the last few years, and there is the concern. we dont need him to get hurt. Ericsson should have been much more active and allowed Howard to stay out of it.

41 minutes ago, Richdg said:

Something that has been bugging me since the line brawl with the flames. Why was ericsson standing there not protecting his G? I dont expect Nyquist or Z to get involved in the rough stuff, not their game. But it is part of Ericssons-he is pretty good at it. Standing there when your freaking G is getting involved is not cool at all. Howard has been awesome when healthy the last few years, and there is the concern. we dont need him to get hurt. Ericsson should have been much more active and allowed Howard to stay out of it.

I don't see that at all. Ericsson was one of the first ones in to the pile going after Tkachuk. When Howard started in on the opposite side of the pile, E was already pressed up against the boards by a couple Flames and tied up with Jankowski (and a ref) for any of the time Howard was involved.

For me there's no cause for criticizing E here. He also jumped in to stand up for Tatar at the end of the game. He did well trying to protect teammates.

P.S. I just noticed in the video, it looks like Ferland runs over might have hit Ericsson from the bench.

Edited by PavelValerievichDatsyuk

3 hours ago, Richdg said:

Are you watching a different video