• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Richdg

The next captian: #39 Anthony Mantha!

Rate this topic

8 hours ago, kickazz said:

Sucks as top 2, good as top 4 is my analysis of him.

Agreed that DK is a good second pairing D man. And he’d obviously look a lot better in the top 2 if we had a legit top defnsman.. but, ideally 2nd pairing is the best spot for him it seems. 

Just because you lead the team in goals, doesn't make it a strong case to be Captain.

Dylan Larkin was drafted because of his leadership skills, I have no doubt in my mind that he will be the next Captain.

Oh, and as long as Mantha isn't traded, he will not leave Detroit due to anything except maybe his personal want. He has at least 2 more contracts here before he becomes a UFA. By the time he reaches that status, he will be getting paid handsomely and be a star here.  Doesn't mean as a UFA he won't want to go elsewhere (especially if we haven't become contenders by then) but I don't see management fooling around with this guy (or Larkin) when it comes to contracts. They are the real deal cornerstone of this franchise and should be here for 20 years or more!

Edited by LeftWinger

When Kronner retires, Lord Stanley help us Ericsson is no longer on the team so he doesn't get the A that Larkin should get. then, Z retires, unless something else happens, Abby will be the next Capt. It will be interesting to see who will be the other A.

47 minutes ago, kliq said:

There is no doubt that Towes is a great leader, I would definitely argue that he is at the same level as guys like Dustin Brown (before being stripped) and Jordan Stall ;) 

12 points in 19 games. Lol. Age is 29 btw. What an embarassment.

Meanwhile Mantha has 19 in 19 games.

Edited by kickazz

14 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

Per Ken Holland...

'We've been closely monitoring the growth of Witkowski's  facial hair, and have determined that it's within reason to name him a successor to Hank as Captain of these Detroit Red Wings.'

Anyone who doubts Holland, and his reasoning is simply not a Wings fan, and should become a 'fanboy' of another club.

This explains why Holland believed re-acquiring Kyle Quincey was worth a first-round pick.

giphy.gif

3 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Still on the hate train!  Embrace Johnny Captain, bro.  Yzerman does.  And I know you like Yzerman.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/yzerman-toews-a-better-player-than-i-was/sn-amp/

Towes is a good player. If he keeps working hard he can definitely become Chicago's version of Kris Draper.

Abby will get the C after Zetterberg. He’s next in line, assuming Kronwall retires before then.

Larkin might be a future captain, but he’s not just going to be handed it over vets currently wearing A’s right away. It’s not a Crosby/Ovechkin/McDavid situation. They were given the C whether they had captain qualities or not because they were generational phenoms.

26 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

Abby will get the C after Zetterberg. He’s next in line, assuming Kronwall retires before then.

Larkin might be a future captain, but he’s not just going to be handed it over vets currently wearing A’s right away. It’s not a Crosby/Ovechkin/McDavid situation. They were given the C whether they had captain qualities or not because they were generational phenoms.

I really don't see Abby getting the C. By the time Z has retired, Larkin likely will have established himself as this team's most important player and bus driver. I don't think they say, "Well, let Abby have it for a few years and then Abby will give it to you. I know you're our best player and you're our leader and whatnot, but you're not ready. Give it a few more years." Not happening, IMO.

21 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

Nah, I'd take the bet on Larkin being the next captain over Abdelkader. 

I know the captain doesn't necessarily have to be the best player, and it can go to a role player, as we've seen with Steve Ott captaining the Sabres, or Tim Taylor, the Lightning, or Andrew Ferrence, the Oilers... But are we willing to set our captaincy standard to that level? We're going to go from Steve Yzerman, to Nicklas Lidstrom, to Henrik Zetterberg, to Justin Abdelkader? I'd be very surprised if that were to happen, and to be honest, a little annoyed. Abby is a great alternate captain, I just wouldn't want him wearing the C...

Larkin will get the C when Zetterberg retires, Abdelkader will keep his A, and DeKeyser will get the other A when Kronwall retires. If we ever decide to go back to 3 alternates, maybe Mantha, Rasmussen or Cholowski get it...

Just now, Dabura said:

I really don't see Abby getting the C. By the time Z has retired, Larkin likely will have established himself as this team's most important player and bus driver. I don't think they say, "Well, let Abby have it for a few years and then Abby will give it to you. I know you're our best player and you're our leader and whatnot, but you're not ready. Give it a few more years." Not happening, IMO.

It’s not always the best player on the team that gets the C. Sometimes it’s purely leadership qualities. MacKenzie wears the C in FLA, and wore it in Columbus. And the Wings seem to have a tradition of passing the C onto veteran A’s. Big on loyalty. Abby is a vocal presence in the locker room and a great PR guy and very involved in the community.

Didnt Z say he wasn’t interested in playing the last two seasons of his contract? Front loaded, gets cut in half next season. Final two only makes a million per in each. Not much time left if he is going to bail after next season.

I dunno, I just don’t see Larkin getting handed the C after one more season.

10 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

It’s not always the best player on the team that gets the C. Sometimes it’s purely leadership qualities. MacKenzie wears the C in FLA, and wore it in Columbus. And the Wings seem to have a tradition of passing the C onto veteran A’s. Big on loyalty. Abby is a vocal presence in the locker room and a great PR guy and very involved in the community.

Didnt Z say he wasn’t interested in playing the last two seasons of his contract? Front loaded, gets cut in half next season. Final two only makes a million per in each. Not much time left if he is going to bail after next season.

I dunno, I just don’t see Larkin getting handed the C after one more season.

Sure, I get that it's not always the best player. But between Abby and Larkin, I'd say it's a pretty easy call for the powers that be.

We're used to ties going to the veterans and all that, but Larkin is taking over as the straw that stirs the drink and everyone knows it and everyone's loving it. I have trouble envisioning a realistic scenario where Larkin doesn't inherit the C from Z.

The future is now! :)