• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

kipwinger

Why are we better than last season?

Rate this topic

Reasons for success?  

51 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

9 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Just curious what folks around here think is the PRIMARY reason for the teams' apparent improvement,  if any. 

I would say it's a combination of all of those things, but for me, the biggest reason is probably the growth of the "kids" (Larkin, Mantha and Athanasiou). I'd also add in the growth of our young coach. I know many are really hard on Blash and get frustrated with his constant line shuffling (I do too), but I think he's a much better coach this season, and better than most would like to give him credit for. But yeah, Mantha showing that he could be an elite power forward in this league, and Larkin showing that he could be a very good 1C, have to be the two biggest reasons for optimism, and the reason we're seeing the growth from this team this season.

5 minutes ago, The Datsyukian Deke said:

I took the special teams. We were just awful last season on the PP and it looks much, much better so far this season. Currently 8th on the PP, finished 27th last year. PK was 16th last year, right now it's 6th.

Ah, but why are the special teams better?

While I don't think it's even close to a primary reason,  I'm also really glad that's Frk is on the team.   Had Nosek not been claimed by Vegas,  and Bertuzzi not hurt, there's no way Frk gets a shot and proves he can play NHL.   I really think he helps make our PP a little more effective, and his 5 on 5 play has been a pleasant surprise. 

Edited by kipwinger

Offense is better because of the kids and goaltending is much. much better. 

1 hour ago, kipwinger said:

Just curious what folks around here think is the PRIMARY reason for the teams' apparent improvement,  if any. 

What do you think?

It's honestly hard to pick one thing,  which is why I asked the question.  This far,  probably goaltending.   Much is also being made right now of some systems changes that has us playing faster and attacking more.   The team seems to like it.   So that might be a big factor but I'm not smart enough with systems analysis to say if it's b.s. or not.

Can't pick just one as it wouldn't be a correct depiction of 'the truth'. As for if only one person Howard comes in at the top. But kids close behind.

Edited by Jacksoni

Larkin is better, Mantha is better, AA is getting top 6 minutes. Howard has been nothing short of outstanding, him not being in a battle for the starting position I think has helped his confidence, along with being the protected goalie in the expansion draft. Daley has been a nice addition, Ericsson hasn't nearly been as bad this year as he was last year (although the mistakes are still a bit on the frequent side) and I think dumping Sheahan was a great move.

I'm not convinced they are.  The first quarter of the season last year they weren't looking that bad either.  Then the wheels came off a bit.  Event his year, they'd probably be out of the playoffs right now.  They're tied with Ottawa for 3rd int he division/8th in the conference, but the Sens have played 2 fewer games.  Buffalo and Florida are the only East teams that are definitively worse, and Edmonton and Arizona in the west.  Every other team is within 4 points, and some of them have a game or two in hand.  I want to see more offense from the D and I want to see more consistent efforts.  One game they look like world beaters, the next game they look like they'd struggle against a good AHL team.

That said, LArkin, Mantha, and AA are better and are being trusted more.  Daley is a big upgrade over Smith.  Howard hasn't taken his annual trip to the injured list.

Edited by DickieDunn

51 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

I'm not convinced they are.  The first quarter of the season last year they weren't looking that bad either.  Then the wheels came off a bit.  Event his year, they'd probably be out of the playoffs right now.  They're tied with Ottawa for 3rd int he division/8th in the conference, but the Sens have played 2 fewer games.  Buffalo and Florida are the only East teams that are definitively worse, and Edmonton and Arizona in the west.  Every other team is within 4 points, and some of them have a game or two in hand.  I want to see more offense from the D and I want to see more consistent efforts.  One game they look like world beaters, the next game they look like they'd struggle against a good AHL team.

That said, LArkin, Mantha, and AA are better and are being trusted more.  Daley is a big upgrade over Smith.  Howard hasn't taken his annual trip to the injured list.

You're trying awfully hard to put a negative spin on the season. 

We have the 5th best goal differential in the East. (One of the best indicators of team performance). Special teams have been good. 

All this without a "Top 50" player in the league. 

Its not amazing or anything but I'm quite happy with what I've seen so far.

38 minutes ago, Son of a Wing said:

You're trying awfully hard to put a negative spin on the season. 

We have the 5th best goal differential in the East. (One of the best indicators of team performance). Special teams have been good. 

All this without a "Top 50" player in the league. 

Its not amazing or anything but I'm quite happy with what I've seen so far.

Larkin and Mantha are in a multi-way tie at 31 in scoring league wide.  Howard is #3 in save% and #4 in GAA for goalies playing in 10+ games.  I'd say they are top 50 players in the league.  

They're still sitting out of the playoffs right now,and still one bad stretch away from being one of the worst teams in the East, and it's still fairly early int he season.  If they improve to the point where they're top 3 in the division by more than an eyelash by the middle of January, I'll start believing a little bit.  Until then, I'll stay skeptical.  

There are several reasons. 1. Mantha is here from the start and playing great! Remember he was in GR the first 15 games are so. AA and Larkin are also better and here full time. 2. We have had far fewer injuries than last year. 3. Howard has been great like year and healthy to date. Mrazek is also better. 4. Witkowski and daley. Daley has helped the BL and Witkowski has added toughness and energy. Something that Blashill talked about the other day. "The bench has a buzz on it when he is in the lineup". 5. Fewer errors on the backend. Smith and all his turnovers are gone.... Ericsson is playing better, Jensen is better, Green is better, Oullett is playing more, etc....

Now is that coaching? Is that just developing? Is that just players having better years? Ya a little of each I think.

Those are the good. Because there is some bad. Z is far below last years pace. Tatar is off to another slow start.

2 hours ago, DickieDunn said:

Larkin and Mantha are in a multi-way tie at 31 in scoring league wide.  Howard is #3 in save% and #4 in GAA for goalies playing in 10+ games.  I'd say they are top 50 players in the league.  

They're still sitting out of the playoffs right now,and still one bad stretch away from being one of the worst teams in the East, and it's still fairly early int he season.  If they improve to the point where they're top 3 in the division by more than an eyelash by the middle of January, I'll start believing a little bit.  Until then, I'll stay skeptical.  

I agree with the majority of your points, but i feel like this is an attempt to be pessimistic. You can say this about almost any team in the NHL, and if you expect anything but a tight race come the end of the season, your expectations are unrealistic. This is parity in 2017, all teams with the exception of a couple on top and a couple on the bottom are all going to be within 2-4 points.

Personally I think its a little bit of everything, with the main reason being the kids, and the secondary reason being Howard staying healthy. Mrazek really hurt us last year. 

20 minutes ago, Richdg said:

There are several reasons. 1. Mantha is here from the start and playing great! Remember he was in GR the first 15 games are so. AA and Larkin are also better and here full time. 2. We have had far fewer injuries than last year. 3. Howard has been great like year and healthy to date. Mrazek is also better. 4. Witkowski and daley. Daley has helped the BL and Witkowski has added toughness and energy. Something that Blashill talked about the other day. "The bench has a buzz on it when he is in the lineup". 5. Fewer errors on the backend. Smith and all his turnovers are gone.... Ericsson is playing better, Jensen is better, Green is better, Oullett is playing more, etc....

Now is that coaching? Is that just developing? Is that just players having better years? Ya a little of each I think.

Those are the good. Because there is some bad. Z is far below last years pace. Tatar is off to another slow start.

Z has 12 points in 20 games.....last year after 20 games, he had 12 points. Agree with most of what you said though.

Edited by kliq

20 minutes ago, kliq said:

I agree with the majority of your points, but i feel like this is an attempt to be pessimistic. You can say this about almost any team in the NHL, and if you expect anything but a tight race come the end of the season, your expectations are unrealistic. This is parity in 2017, all teams with the exception of a couple on top and a couple on the bottom are all going to be within 2-4 points.

Personally I think its a little bit of everything, with the main reason being the kids, and the secondary reason being Howard staying healthy. Mrazek really hurt us last year. 

Z has 12 points in 20 games.....last year after 20 games, he had 12 points. Agree with most of what you said though.

yes but that is only a 48 point pace vs his totals for the year. Same with Tatar. He got hot the last 30 games last year.

2 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

The team hasn't given much reason to be optimistic the last few years.  Maybe I'm just turning into a crusty old man, but I'll believe they're better when they can prove it over at least half a season.

That's fair.

1 minute ago, Richdg said:

yes but that is only a 48 point pace vs his totals for the year. Same with Tatar. He got hot the last 30 games last year.

My point is Z started slow last year, and I dont think its unrealistic to think the same thing is happening this year. Players have a tendency to regress or rise to the mean, and I think in the case of Z, he will rise just like he did last year. 

Though with an older player you never know when the major drop off is coming.

2 minutes ago, kliq said:

That's fair.

My point is Z started slow last year, and I dont think its unrealistic to think the same thing is happening this year. Players have a tendency to regress or rise to the mean, and I think in the case of Z, he will rise just like he did last year. 

Though with an older player you never know when the major drop off is coming.

and a bad back. But we are winning without him being a major producer.