• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

kipwinger

Why are we better than last season?

Rate this topic

Reasons for success?  

51 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Generally speaking, older players start slow and come on strong later, while young players start fast and fade off.

3 hours ago, DickieDunn said:

Larkin and Mantha are in a multi-way tie at 31 in scoring league wide.  Howard is #3 in save% and #4 in GAA for goalies playing in 10+ games.  I'd say they are top 50 players in the league.  

They're still sitting out of the playoffs right now,and still one bad stretch away from being one of the worst teams in the East, and it's still fairly early int he season.  If they improve to the point where they're top 3 in the division by more than an eyelash by the middle of January, I'll start believing a little bit.  Until then, I'll stay skeptical.  

I was referring to the list the league came out with before the season.  There wasn't a single Red Wing on it.

And I agree that it's still very early.

2 hours ago, DickieDunn said:

The team hasn't given much reason to be optimistic the last few years.  Maybe I'm just turning into a crusty old man, but I'll believe they're better when they can prove it over at least half a season.

I mean, if we're being really honest, the team doesn't appear to be significantly better than last year's team, at least in terms of results. Record is very similar through 21 games, we've had a pretty soft schedule in terms of the quality of our opponents (what are the best teams we've faced this season and how many of those games have we won?), we're still getting routinely outshot, we're still leaning too much on our goaltending, and we're probably headed for another bottom ten finish.

But there are signs of improvement -- or at least reasons for cautious optimism -- in certain areas, which is good.

I voted for the kids.

It wasn't a choice, but I also wonder if the "streak" had anything to do with it. Last year the team was playing with the possibility that they could be the ones to end it hanging over their collective heads. Not good for dressing room morale for sure. By the trade deadline it was obvious that management had given up on the season and that couldn't have felt good to the guys.

Now that the "streak" is over and the "rebuild" is on, there is less pressure and lowered expectations. The guys can just go out and play. I think that's also a part of it.

Not really what you asked for,  but I hope that's OK Kip.

Too early to say they're better.  They were about the same last year in the standings, before falling apart during a home stand.  

The better answer is, because kipwinger isn't here anymore.  :bye:

Edited by GMRwings1983

3 hours ago, GMRwings1983 said:

Too early to say they're better.  They were about the same last year in the standings, before falling apart during a home stand.  

The better answer is, because kipwinger isn't here anymore.  :bye:

Through 21 games they are 10-8-3.

Last year after 21 games they were 10-10-1

The big difference is last year they won 6 of their first 8, then went on to lose 9 out of 11.

Standings wise it is too early to tell, but I think they look better on the ice.

12 minutes ago, kliq said:

Through 21 games they are 10-8-3.

Last year after 21 games they were 10-10-1

The big difference is last year they won 6 of their first 8, then went on to lose 9 out of 11.

Standings wise it is too early to tell, but I think they look better on the ice.

Yeah but we all know that eye ball tests don't work and unless you are a mathfreak you have no idea what you're talking about. 

On 19/11/2017 at 4:21 PM, DickieDunn said:

Larkin and Mantha are in a multi-way tie at 31 in scoring league wide.  Howard is #3 in save% and #4 in GAA for goalies playing in 10+ games.  I'd say they are top 50 players in the league.  

They're still sitting out of the playoffs right now,and still one bad stretch away from being one of the worst teams in the East, and it's still fairly early int he season.  If they improve to the point where they're top 3 in the division by more than an eyelash by the middle of January, I'll start believing a little bit.  Until then, I'll stay skeptical.  

Also green. He is among top defenceman points wise. Multi way tie for 3rd

45 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

They aren’t any better. Look great one game then completely fall apart the next one or few. 

To be fair, you can say this about almost any team in sports. This is what happens when you have parity. 

On 11/21/2017 at 6:59 PM, Buppy said:

More advantageous distribution of quantum effects. Prove me wrong.

I think someone just wanted to be able to say "advantageous distribution of quantum effects". 

We are 2 points ahead in the standings. But the team does look better and is playing better. There is far more energy on the ice most nights. We are much faster most nights. The last couple of years the team looked like if we gave up 3 goals they knew we would lose the game. They don't play like that anymore. They know they can score 3 or more goals. Doesn't mean we are going to win but the effort is there all 60 mins most nights. I still think with better coaching we win more, but that is another thread.

Helene with some numbers and such:

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2017/11/26/detroit-red-wings-schedule/895794001/

It’s a great positive for the Wings that those two are leading the team in points, Larkin with 21, Mantha with 20.

At the 24-game mark last year, Henrik Zetterberg led the team with 16 points. This season four Wings have more points than that, as Justin Abdelkader and Mike Green each have 17. Tomas Tatar had four goals among seven points last year at this point; today he has seven goals and 11 points. Seven players have at least five goals; last year, it was two. One area that really sticks out is power play production – Mantha has five goals, Tatar and Martin Frk each have three. That’s as many power play goals the Wings had as a whole team at this point last year, and puts the power play overall at 22.7 percent, ninth in the NHL.

The increased production puts the team at 14th overall in GF and 21st overall in GF/GP. Better than last season, but definitely mediocre.

I think they look better this year for sure.  The younger groups are starting to develop some chemistry and I think this is producing a better neutral zone transition game.  Special teams has improved.  Mantha has also been key, I believe he's becoming the core leader (on and off the ice) of this young group and giving them a lot of confidence and an identity. 

On 11/23/2017 at 10:29 AM, Richdg said:

We are 2 points ahead in the standings. But the team does look better and is playing better. There is far more energy on the ice most nights. We are much faster most nights. The last couple of years the team looked like if we gave up 3 goals they knew we would lose the game. They don't play like that anymore. They know they can score 3 or more goals. Doesn't mean we are going to win but the effort is there all 60 mins most nights. I still think with better coaching we win more, but that is another thread.

And then the Edmonton game happened.

15 hours ago, Dabura said:

Helene with some numbers and such:

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2017/11/26/detroit-red-wings-schedule/895794001/

It’s a great positive for the Wings that those two are leading the team in points, Larkin with 21, Mantha with 20.

At the 24-game mark last year, Henrik Zetterberg led the team with 16 points. This season four Wings have more points than that, as Justin Abdelkader and Mike Green each have 17. Tomas Tatar had four goals among seven points last year at this point; today he has seven goals and 11 points. Seven players have at least five goals; last year, it was two. One area that really sticks out is power play production – Mantha has five goals, Tatar and Martin Frk each have three. That’s as many power play goals the Wings had as a whole team at this point last year, and puts the power play overall at 22.7 percent, ninth in the NHL.

The increased production puts the team at 14th overall in GF and 21st overall in GF/GP. Better than last season, but definitely mediocre.

Thanks. It seems then that statistically speaking, the numbers say the team is better, but that is not translating into wins? Is that correct? That sure seems like what I'm seeing this season.

3 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Thanks. It seems then that statistically speaking, the numbers say the team is better, but that is not translating into wins? Is that correct? That sure seems like what I'm seeing this season.

I think last season's team overachieved a bit in October and November; we were bad and we were probably lucky to get as many wins as we did.

I think this season's team has been more solidly average, a true middle-of-the-pack team. Looking at the numbers (basic stats and possession metrics), 10-9-5 is right where you'd expect the team to be.

32 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

They aren't.  Some individual players are better, the team as a whole isn't.

Agreed.   This team will hover around .500 and if we want to make the playoffs we will have to go on a run in the 2nd half that I'm not sure we are capable of. If we want a legitimate shot at landing some free agents we need to find a way to unload salary. I like Green but that 6 milly has to come off the books. Mrazek won't be back next year at this point. Thats another 4 milly. Problem is that 10 million will go to signing Larkin, Mantha and AA.  We need teams desperate at the trade deadline willing to trade for veteran guys like Ericcson. and take some of these garbage salaries. If not we are in purgatory for a few years.