• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
MabusIncarnate

11/19 GDT - Avalanche at Red Wings - 6:00 PM EST

Rate this topic

16 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Didn't even know there was a game on...seriously. This is how bad it's gotten. This team needs to gut $20M+ in bad contracts and players. I'm tired of watching them. Hopefully it's just a phase I'm going through.

100% agree!

This loss was bad, real bad. Letting up a 3-1 lead late in the third and ultimately losing at home against a bottom feeder is as demoralizing as it gets. On top of that, the dominance Colorado displayed at the end of the game was.. Punishing.. Aggressively dominating. Rape comes to mind.

Let's see how they look right after this. If you think it's easy to shake this treatment off 'even' for the veterans think again. I could bet you Z discussed hanging them up over dinner at home if we could somehow find out. Albeit as it is, it's just conjecture from me.

Stars are aligning. When one of our key players goes down, the plunge begins. And the trek toward Dahlin begins in earnest.

28 minutes ago, Jacksoni said:

This loss was bad, real bad. Letting up a 3-1 lead late in the third and ultimately losing at home against a bottom feeder is as demoralizing as it gets. On top of that, the dominance Colorado displayed at the end of the game was.. Punishing.. Aggressively dominating. Rape comes to mind.

Let's see how they look right after this. If you think it's easy to shake this treatment off 'even' for the veterans think again. I could bet you Z discussed hanging them up over dinner at home if we could somehow find out. Albeit as it is, it's just conjecture from me.

Stars are aligning. When one of our key players goes down, the plunge begins. And the trek toward Dahlin begins in earnest.

The Avs are currently in a playoff spot. And they're 2 pts. behind us with 2 games in hand. They're not really a bottom feeder - like us, they're currently a bubble team.

Epic meltdown. This team, man. Got a point out of it, but all that’s going to do along with flip flopping other losses and wins is contribute to the bubble team status and a tenth overall pick or so. I know they won’t tank, and aren’t bottom feeders, but that’s Holland and his band aid fixes. Team would get destroyed in the playoffs, but isn’t bad enough to enter the top pick lottery. Doesn’t seem like his approach will change either.

3 hours ago, chaps80 said:

Team would get destroyed in the playoffs, but isn’t bad enough to enter the top pick lottery.

Every team that doesn't make the playoffs is in the top pick lottery. Philly finished 19th overall last season and picked 2nd overall in the draft. Dallas finished with the same number of points as the Wings did and picked 3rd overall. Colorado finished dead last (by a country mile) and didn't even pick in the top three. New Jersey finished 27th overall and got the top pick. It's not a total crapshoot...but it kind of is.

I'm not sure this team would get destroyed in the playoffs. Depends on the matchup and our goaltending. So far this season, Tampa appears to be the only true powerhouse in the East. Beyond them, there isn't much separation within the conference.

Edited by Dabura

8 minutes ago, Dabura said:

Every team that doesn't make the playoffs is in the top pick lottery. Philly finished 19th overall last season and picked 2nd overall in the draft. Dallas finished with the same number of points as the Wings did and picked 3rd overall. Colorado finished dead last (by a country mile) and didn't even pick in the top three. New Jersey finished 27th overall and got the top pick. It's not a total crapshoot...but it kind of is.

I'm not sure this team would get destroyed in the playoffs. Depends on the matchup and our goaltending. So far this season, Tampa appears to be the only true powerhouse in the East. Beyond them, there isn't much separation within the conference.

This is true, but a lower finish increases odds at the top picks. The past draft lottery was a weird one that’s for sure.

Howard or Mrazek would have to stand on their head to have any chance in the playoffs with this team’s defence. Some nights they’re ok, and others they’re simply abysmal. If they could shore up the D at the deadline and have great goaltending, might be a chance to win some playoff games. Long as the young guys keep playing well and scoring and the vets aren’t floating and contribute the best they can. But the D, as usual, leaves a huge question mark. Playoff goaltending too. Howard has started 5 playoff games since 2014. Mrazek has started 10 games since 2015. Not much playoff action between them once 2018 rolls around. May be some rust. We’ll see though.

53 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

This is true, but a lower finish increases odds at the top picks. The past draft lottery was a weird one that’s for sure.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if this past lotto was rigged to further discourage tanking. The results perfectly fit the message the league is trying to send. "Finish bottom three? You could pick outside the top three! In fact, all three bottom teams could pick outside the top three! Finish outside the bottom ten? You could still end up picking in the top three!" Hmmm...

In any case, we're probably not in a terrible spot in terms of having a shot at picking in the top three. Assuming we finish right around where we did last season, we'll have a shot at drafting a really good player, even if we don't get one of the top three picks.

The more Buffalo and Edmonton and Arizona flounder, the more I warm to the "Let's just be mediocre for a few years and see where that gets us" approach. It's already gotten us Larkin and Mantha, and we've only missed the playoffs once.

53 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

Howard or Mrazek would have to stand on their head to have any chance in the playoffs with this team’s defence. Some nights they’re ok, and others they’re simply abysmal. If they could shore up the D at the deadline and have great goaltending, might be a chance to win some playoff games. Long as the young guys keep playing well and scoring and the vets aren’t floating and contribute the best they can. But the D, as usual, leaves a huge question mark. Playoff goaltending too. Howard has started 5 playoff games since 2014. Mrazek has started 10 games since 2015. Not much playoff action between them once 2018 rolls around. May be some rust. We’ll see though.

Very likely that our D would be a major weakness in any conceivable matchup, especially if we trade Green and our other veterans fade. But pretty much every Eastern team not named the Tampa Bay Lightning has a key weakness right now and pretty much every Eastern team not named the Tampa Bay Lightning looks like they could be vulnerable in a best-of-seven series. We'd need our goaltending to be absolutely stellar and steal us a game or two, but I like our forward depth this season and the fact that we're playing with a little more pace and purpose and tenacity than we have in recent years.

We could finish in the basement this season. But, even so, I think we could grind out a series win over, say, Toronto or Columbus or Washington. All of those teams have problems. The East is really tight right now.

Can't play like we did against the Avs, though. Play like that and, yes, we would definitely get destroyed in the first round.

Edited by Dabura