• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

NerveDamage

11/22 GDT : Edmonton Oilers vs Detroit Red WIngs : 7:00 PM ET

Rate this topic

15 hours ago, Dabura said:

To me, this is the most disappointing thing about the game. Mantha was really bad tonight.

Good on Blash for calling him out on it, but I find anytime he publicly calls out a player it’s one of the kids. I know he’s trying to motivate them, but they do more than their share already. AA has a good amount of points in limited games, but I’m sure we’ll hear about him not working hard soon enough. Not much is said about the vets, some who have floated around for years. ALL players should be held accountable for bad games and not working hard enough. Age or being on this team when Blash took over shouldn’t be a free pass for sucking.

I dunno if Howard just had an off night or what, but I think Blash Is overusing him. If he starts to crack or gets injured, that’s all this team needs. Team has two capable well paid goalies, take advantage of it. Throwing Mrazek in cold when the game is already lost or starting him once every 5+ games isn’t going to help anything. Should try to get him in every 3 games at least. Howard will still be starter, but you gotta try to get something outta Mrazek at the same time.

Or just ride the s*** outta Howard and see what unfolds, whatever. Lol

6 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Isn't Mantha leading the team in points? If not, 2nd? Can' have a bad game?

Blashill needs to be fired.

6 hours ago, chaps80 said:

Good on Blash for calling him out on it, but I find anytime he publicly calls out a player it’s one of the kids. I know he’s trying to motivate them, but they do more than their share already. AA has a good amount of points in limited games, but I’m sure we’ll hear about him not working hard soon enough. Not much is said about the vets, some who have floated around for years. ALL players should be held accountable for bad games and not working hard enough. Age or being on this team when Blash took over shouldn’t be a free pass for sucking.

I've come around to the organization's way of thinking. Mantha is young and his development isn't complete and he has tremendous potential. If I were in charge of his development, I'd be pushing him hard and calling him out when I felt he wasn't giving enough. We need him to become the best player he can possibly be.

Maybe Blashill could call out the older players a little more often, but I dunno that it would accomplish anything. We have the oldest team in the league; most of the players are what they are at this point in their respective careers. With Mantha and Larkin and Athanasiou, there's still great potential. I think the "You've gotta be great and you've gotta be great every single day, no excuses" mantra is a good one to hammer into their heads, especially when they stink up the joint like they did last night.

They're starting to take over as the team's leaders, but they still have to earn it. Nothing's going to be handed to them, and that's the way it should be.

20 hours ago, Dabura said:

I've come around to the organization's way of thinking. Mantha is young and his development isn't complete and he has tremendous potential. If I were in charge of his development, I'd be pushing him hard and calling him out when I felt he wasn't giving enough. We need him to become the best player he can possibly be.

100% agree with this. Vets are what they are, it is very hard to change bad habits in a vet.

Kids like AA, Larkin, and Mantha are at a very crucial point in their careers where these bad habits are not ingrained in them yet and should be called out. I actually commend Blashill for addressing it.

Mantha has the potential to be one of the best wingers in the NHL, and Blashill has a giant role in that development. I'm not saying I love Blashill, but any good coach would do this.

21 hours ago, Dabura said:

Maybe Blashill could call out the older players a little more often, but I dunno that it would accomplish anything. We have the oldest team in the league; most of the players are what they are at this point in their respective careers. With Mantha and Larkin and Athanasiou, there's still great potential. I think the "You've gotta be great and you've gotta be great every single day, no excuses" mantra is a good one to hammer into their heads, especially when they stink up the joint like they did last night.

They're starting to take over as the team's leaders, but they still have to earn it. Nothing's going to be handed to them, and that's the way it should be.

I agree. Nothing should be handed to the younger guys. It was good of Blash to call him on it. Guess I’m just tired of vets getting passes while the younger guys get s*** for one bad game. They still have to contribute and play the best they can, they are part of the team on the ice every night. Can’t just float around and cost  goals for and against and shrug it off, or this team doesn’t have a prayer.

Guess calling them out won’t do anything though if they already don’t care enough to slack off. They have their long term contracts locked up.

3 hours ago, kliq said:

100% agree with this. Vets are what they are, it is very hard to change bad habits in a vet.

Kids like AA, Larkin, and Mantha are at a very crucial point in their careers where these bad habits are not ingrained in them yet and should be called out. I actually commend Blashill for addressing it.

Mantha has the potential to be one of the best wingers in the NHL, and Blashill has a giant role in that development. I'm not saying I love Blashill, but any good coach would do this.

They can still be called out, and if he'd spent his first two years calling them out, maybe they wouldn't still be doing the crap they're doing.  

1 hour ago, DickieDunn said:

They can still be called out, and if he'd spent his first two years calling them out, maybe they wouldn't still be doing the crap they're doing.  

If thats what you took from my post, you unfortunately missed the point.

My point wasn't that you shouldn't call out vets, or that they are untouchable. My point is that you have to be harder on the kids, especially those that have elite/high end potential. 

Edited by kliq