• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
DickieDunn

Standings, the good the bad and the ugly

Rate this topic

The good: They're 3rd in the division with 25 points in 24 games.  

The bad: Boston is 1 point behind with 3 games in hand and Ottawa is 3 points back with 2 games in hand, so once they catch up they could both be ahead of Detroit.

The Ugly: 6 teams in the Metropolitan have more points than Detroit, 4 of them have played fewer games, Carolina is 1 point back with 3 games in hand and the last place Flyers are 3 points back with 2 games in hand.  Detroit is on pace for 85 points, last year only 7 teams had fewer than that by the end of the season.  So while it would be a light improvement record wise it's still not close to the playoffs.

Yup.

If we make the playoffs, it'll be because the Atlantic is relatively weak. 3rd place in the Atlantic or bust.

We have a shot at the playoffs, possibly a better shot than last season, but we're likely headed for another bottom 8-10 finish.

Edited by Dabura

guys,this roster is a fringe playoff contender at best. If we hit anything above a .500 team ill be impressed.

i just want all the young guns to take a step forward this year and be more confident in what they are doing.

We know what this roster needs but its not getting it anytime soon,so we need the next group to gain more experience for the next 2-3 years and then maybe in 2020 we could have a really competitive team.

1 minute ago, Dabura said:

Standings Update for 11/26

Edmonton beat Boston, in regulation.

https://www.nhl.com/standings

We're looking at a four-way dogfight with Boston, Ottawa, and probably Montreal. To make the playoffs, we're going to have to stay above those three teams.

So far, so good.

Might as well throw Florida in there, I suppose.

Like I said before, the title of "Third best team in the Atlantic" appears to be up for grabs.

Of the Atlantic teams, Buffalo's the only one that's really looking like a lock for basement status, IMO.

21 hours ago, DickieDunn said:

The good: They're 3rd in the division with 25 points in 24 games.  

The bad: Boston is 1 point behind with 3 games in hand and Ottawa is 3 points back with 2 games in hand, so once they catch up they could both be ahead of Detroit.

The Ugly: 6 teams in the Metropolitan have more points than Detroit, 4 of them have played fewer games, Carolina is 1 point back with 3 games in hand and the last place Flyers are 3 points back with 2 games in hand.  Detroit is on pace for 85 points, last year only 7 teams had fewer than that by the end of the season.  So while it would be a light improvement record wise it's still not close to the playoffs.

LOL, your "Good" is still bad. The bold means they're mediocre (So they are like the Jimmy Howard of the Atlantic Division!) :w00t:

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

1 hour ago, AtlantaHotWings said:

My worry is that Holland will NOT trade assets if we are sitting in third thus miring us in "almost" good enough or speak the mantra of "once you are in the playoffs you never know what might happen" territory.

So if we are close to the playoffs, you want Holland to trade assets to improve our team for THIS YEAR?

Unless you think you can win the cup, I think it's a bad move to trade assets for a playoff run. We cant win the cup this year.

15 minutes ago, kliq said:

So if we are close to the playoffs, you want Holland to trade assets to improve our team for THIS YEAR?

Unless you think you can win the cup, I think it's a bad move to trade assets for a playoff run. We cant win the cup this year.

I think he meant he's worried we won't trade Green (or whoever) if we're close. 

14 minutes ago, kliq said:

I can't speak for @AtlantaHotWings, but I took it as a fear that if we are in a playoff spot (or close), Holland will stand pat, instead of trading assets like Green. That's my fear as well. Holland needs to trade Green to the highest bidder at the deadline, regardless of where we sit in February. 

Bingo Krsmith sorry I wasn't clear on my position.

I think we have to get picks and build this house back up as I think we have a few foundation pieces of a potential solid house.  I don't see us lifting Lord Stanley this year or next at a minimum unless we somehow channel the ducks of 2002-03 with Jimmy channeling Giguere....

34 minutes ago, AtlantaHotWings said:

I think we have to get picks and build this house back up as I think we have a few foundation pieces of a potential solid house.  I don't see us lifting Lord Stanley this year or next at a minimum unless we somehow channel the ducks of 2002-03 with Jimmy channeling Giguere....

My bad, after a second read it seems obvious that is what you meant.

4 hours ago, kliq said:

This. Even if the playoffs are possible, being buyers at the deadline makes no sense. Team is not a contender. Go in with what you have and get the kids some playoff experience. Whatever happens happens.  

2 hours ago, AtlantaHotWings said:

Jimmy channeling Giguere. LOL I know your joking, but man that’s hilarious. Guy was such a wall he won the Smythe on the losing side with the roster he had in front of him. Haven’t seen anything remotely close to it since.

I think we are safe to assume KH won't add at the deadline. He knows we aren't a contender and we have no pieces to trade away that aren't more important for us. 

Besides the worry about neither trading nor re-signing green at a lower cap hit and thus wasting a major asset, I'm quite relaxed about this season.

If we make the playoffs it will be because our younger guys have taken a significant step forward across the season, and the experience will be great for them, and if we don't we get a better draft pick and accelerate the rebuild. 

None of our older guys are elite anymore, so we don't have to feel too bad about 'wasting' their peaks, and none of our younger guys have been around that long. We shouldn't be a playoff team really looking at our overall roster, but equally aren't a going to be at the bottom of the standings, so as long as the GM makes decent use of his assets, I'm happy to let the chips fall where they will.

3 hours ago, lomekian said:

I think we are safe to assume KH won't add at the deadline. He knows we aren't a contender and we have no pieces to trade away that aren't more important for us. 

Besides the worry about neither trading nor re-signing green at a lower cap hit and thus wasting a major asset, I'm quite relaxed about this season.

If we make the playoffs it will be because our younger guys have taken a significant step forward across the season, and the experience will be great for them, and if we don't we get a better draft pick and accelerate the rebuild. 

None of our older guys are elite anymore, so we don't have to feel too bad about 'wasting' their peaks, and none of our younger guys have been around that long. We shouldn't be a playoff team really looking at our overall roster, but equally aren't a going to be at the bottom of the standings, so as long as the GM makes decent use of his assets, I'm happy to let the chips fall where they will.

For my sanity thats how I am looking at the next 3 years...

Any chance of making the playoffs ended with Witkowski's suspension.

Honestly, who does this team beat in a 7 game series?  There has to be some major growth the rest of the season to expect anything from this group in the playoffs.  The defense makes too many rookie mistakes.    

Unless Howard or Mrazek start playing like in his prime Hasek and they win every game 2-1 or 1-0 this team is sunk.  They have a stretch of games coming up where every opponent but one is ahead of or even with them in the standings.  They could easily be 3-8 through those 11 games if they don't start playing better