• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Richdg

Has Blashill finally lost the team?

Rate this topic

42 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Those two players should easily get us Pulujarvi, Nurse and their 2019 first round draft pick...

I like ya, krbro, but there's no way in hell Green and Mrazek would get us that package, especially with the Oilers being a real longshot to make the playoffs.

9 minutes ago, Dabura said:

I like ya, krbro, but there's no way in hell Green and Mrazek would get us that package, especially with the Oilers being a real longshot to make the playoffs.

They shouldn’t be a long shot with their roster though. Underperforming on an epic scale.

But no, no way Green (upcoming UFA, will want big money to stay, may not want to) and Mrazek (expensive second goalie option, only played ten games this season, needs to be resigned and has arbitration rights) gets the Wings that package.

26 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

They are looking at cheaper options than Mrazek as well though. 

Johnson

Hutchinson

Neuvirth

Pickard

Also in talks with Sabres.

I don't think Mrazek has any trade value right now. Might even have negative value. His cap hit is $4M and he's playing like hot garbage; there are numerous safer options, like the guys you listed.

I'm thinking if Chiarelli really has expressed an interest in Mrazek and Green, it was just due diligence. This is not the Oilers' year and everyone in Edmonton knows it. If Chiarelli's smart (and, granted, the jury"s kind of out on that), he bites the bullet and embraces the suck for "one more season" and sells at the deadline. It's looking like they'll have a decent shot at Dahlin or Svechnikov. Possibly better odds than ours, amazingly. ("McJesus died for our sins.")

P.S. Blashill has prolly lost the room I dunno lol whatevs.

4 hours ago, Jacksoni said:

How can Blashill really lose the team though? The team is a mix of different salaries, ages, cultures, ethnicities and perspectives on life.

For most of the kids it's about getting ahead, more playtime, more bright light, praise. For the veterans it's about steadying the ship, no turnovers, nice and tight, systematic play. Yes there are exceptions, I am just pointing out general trends. Add to that all the quirks mentioned above.

In the end all of the players are governed by one simple invention - money. They play for it, they do interviews for it, they listen to the coach for it. Right or wrong.

As long as that is in effect, Blashill is in effect. With that said, the core veterans, namely Zetterberg and Kronwall have probably already discussed when and how to retire. So sure, you might feel a downish mood in the locker room. But above capital laws hold. Until money is void.

They also want to win, and Blashill is holding them back

1 minute ago, Dabura said:

I don't think Mrazek has any trade value right now. Might even have negative value. His cap hit is $4M and he's playing like hot garbage; there are numerous safer options, like the guys you listed.

I'm thinking if Chiarelli really has expressed an interest in Mrazek and Green, it was just due diligence. This is not the Oilers' year and everyone in Edmonton knows it. If Chiarelli's smart (and, granted, the jury"s kind of out on that), he bites the bullet and embraces the suck for "one more season" and sells at the deadline. It's looking like they'll have a decent shot at Dahlin or Svechnikov. Possibly better odds than ours, amazingly. ("McJesus died for our sins.")

P.S. Blashill has prolly lost the room I dunno lol whatevs.

If the Oilers get another first overall, the draft system needs a serious overhaul. That would be what, 5 first overalls in 7 years?

And I agree, Mrazek isn’t a prudent option for them right now. Neuvirth would be the guy I’d take off that list.

Just now, chaps80 said:

They shouldn’t be a long shot with their roster though. Underperforming on an epic scale.

Honestly, their roster really isn't anything to write home about, aside from McDavid. They might be underachieving, but not by much.

Chiarelli's reaping what he sowed, IMO.

2 minutes ago, Dabura said:

Honestly, their roster really isn't anything to write home about, aside from McDavid. They might be underachieving, but not by much.

Chiarelli's reaping what he sowed, IMO.

They did well last season with pretty well the same roster. The guys that stepped up last year have regressed. Talbot was probably the best goalie they had since Roloson. Lol Well they had Dubnyk, but he only decided to play to his potential when he got to Minnesota.

3 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

They did well last season with pretty well the same roster. The guys that stepped up last year have regressed. Talbot was probably the best goalie they had since Roloson. Lol Well they had Dubnyk, but he only decided to play to his potential when he got to Minnesota.

I feel they overachieved last season, caught teams by surprise. What we're seeing this season is probably a combination of natural regression and teams having a season's worth of tape that they can dissect.

Oh, and they turned Eberle into Ryan Strome. That hasn't helped. *facepalm*

3 minutes ago, Dabura said:

I feel they overachieved last season, caught teams by surprise. What we're seeing this season is probably a combination of natural regression and teams having a season's worth of tape that they can dissect.

Oh, and they turned Eberle into Ryan Strome. That hasn't helped. *facepalm*

Makes sense.

And yes, horrible trade. I always wanted Eberle on the Wings.

Once McDavids new contract kicks in things are gonna be tighter cap wise. Always rumours of Nuge being traded, but they never amount to anything. Either no one wants him at his cap hit, or the Oilers can’t get their asking price. Lots of Oilers fans want him to stay too. But somethings gotta give.

11 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Oh sure.  And Draisaitl.  

You cannot be serious.

11 hours ago, Dabura said:

Nope, wasn't serious at all. Maybe I should have added Draidaitl and / or McDavid to really show how sarcastic I was being...

I've said countless times that Holland should be calling / making trades with the terrible GM's (Chiarelli being the worst), but no, I don't even think he's THAT dumb. But hey, if Larsson gets you Hall, and Strome gets you Eberle, a Green / Mrazek package should in theory get you a pretty decent return. However, I don't think two of them would come close to getting us Pulujarvi, let alone the other two pieces... I wouldn't trade them in a package though. I'd be happy to hold onto Mrazek and trade Green for a late 1st / early 2nd. That, I do think is somewhat realistic...

Edited by krsmith17

1 hour ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Good!

Some posters on here act like our trash is secretly coveted by other GMs.

Bah. DeKeyser and Helm could get us Burns. Throw in Booth and a 7th as a sweetener. Calgary isn’t getting that pick from the McCollum deal anyways. 

How could SJ resist?

On 12/4/2017 at 6:16 PM, Jacksoni said:

He has lost Z for sure. Likely most vets with him. As of recently they'll just collect pay.

Trade what you can, keep the kids.

You know, you bring up something I hadn't thought of.... do you all think this team is tanking just to get Blash fired??? Maybe a reach on my part, but I have not witnessed the ass kickings we have received over the last few weeks since the late 80's.......

4 minutes ago, Donaldjr2448 said:

You know, you bring up something I hadn't thought of.... do you all think this team is tanking just to get Blash fired??? Maybe a reach on my part, but I have not witnessed the ass kickings we have received over the last few weeks since the late 80's.......

No. They aren't tanking. I don't think there is an effort on the part of the players to get Blashill fired. I also don't think they have much interest in playing hard for him in order to keep him around either. Hence, the "on and off" effort.

On 12/10/2017 at 4:13 PM, Jacksoni said:

How can Blashill really lose the team though? The team is a mix of different salaries, ages, cultures, ethnicities and perspectives on life.

For most of the kids it's about getting ahead, more playtime, more bright light, praise. For the veterans it's about steadying the ship, no turnovers, nice and tight, systematic play. Yes there are exceptions, I am just pointing out general trends. Add to that all the quirks mentioned above.

In the end all of the players are governed by one simple invention - money. They play for it, they do interviews for it, they listen to the coach for it. Right or wrong.

As long as that is in effect, Blashill is in effect. With that said, the core veterans, namely Zetterberg and Kronwall have probably already discussed when and how to retire. So sure, you might feel a downish mood in the locker room. But above capital laws hold. Until money is void.

I dont think anyone would argue with you that players play for money, because they do. BUT when you are coaching a professional sports team, to be successful you need two things...1) talent......2) The players to buy in to the plays and strategies that the coaching staff develop, and to put 100% effort in to these plays/strategies.

When players don't believe in a system that a coach has created, they tend to put in 90%, 80%, 70% etc. of effort. That is what is meant when asking the question "has Blashill lost the team".

Players buying into a system has nothing to do with what they are paid, or what their ages, cultures, ethnicity and perspectives on life are. There is no connection.

Edited by kliq

1 hour ago, kliq said:

I dont think anyone would argue with you that players play for money, because they do. BUT when you are coaching a professional sports team, to be successful you need two things...1) talent......2) The players to buy in to the plays and strategies that the coaching staff develop, and to put 100% effort in to these plays/strategies.

When players don't believe in a system that a coach has created, they tend to put in 90%, 80%, 70% etc. of effort. That is what is meant when asking the question "has Blashill lost the team".

Players buying into a system has nothing to do with what they are paid, or what their ages, cultures, ethnicity and perspectives on life are. There is no connection.

You forgot #3. A system that is actually good so that the players WILL buy into it. This team has some #1, just not enough. They lack #3, which leads to #2.

Insert potty jokes now.

31 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

You forgot #3. A system that is actually good so that the players WILL buy into it. This team has some #1, just not enough. They lack #3, which leads to #2.

Insert potty jokes now.

lol agreed

Nobody remembers this?

https://www.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/breaking-shocking-rumors-of-players-overruling-their-coach-in-the-playoffs

http://detroitsportsrag.com/the-red-wings-swedish-mafia-problem/

Small extract:

Henrik Zetterberg would completely contradict direct instructions given to his teammates by Blashill. To the point that the coach would have a meeting with the players, give them specific directions on how things would go down for the next game or period and the door would close behind Blashill and Zetterberg would say something to the effect of ….‘OK, now that he is gone … this is what we are really going to do.”

Of course he lost the team, nearly two years ago.

Edited by lwing

1 hour ago, kjw25 said:

If the team was good enough, it wouldn't matter if the coach lost them. The team is poor. No coach would make them better. 

100% Disagree. Many teams over the years have had great rosters, but under-performed on the ice. The Rangers all through the 2000's are the perfect example.

5 hours ago, lwing said:

Wow...just...wow

If this is true, I find it really hard to blame Blashill for this team's poor performances. If your coaching is being undermined by your team captain, you can't fairly be held accountable for it.