• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Richdg

Has Blashill finally lost the team?

Rate this topic

On 9/21/2018 at 6:35 AM, TheXym said:

Population has gone down with the downturn in on-ice excellence, but things should pick up once the season starts.

Well, it’s not like the old days with 30 pages on every game, new threads daily... and of course this seasons start. If I was in Red Wings marketing I’d use volume in this site as an indicator of losing the fans. As to Blashill losing the team, can anyone defend him now? Blaming the roster and draft picks, asking who else is there... can only go so far. This performance has earned a firing. The risks of firing him are minimal. 

For those willing to still defend Blashill as being good for younger players or whatever, there comes a time when nothing matters except results. Maybe Blashill is a genius, so what. If he is there is some kind of serious mismatch. If he’s not, then We are seeing the results of his failure to coach. Whatever it is, the experiment has failed. Buck has to stop somewhere and with the majority of losing pro sports teams that means the coach has to go. 

This ownership is no longer the best in the NHL. It seems Chris is too afraid to make any moves that are needed in order to turn this franchise around. Rewind if you would, Jacques Demers just won TWO Jack Adams trophies in a row, 1987 and 1988. He coached the Wings to 1st place in the Norris again in 1989, then losing to Chicago in the 1st round. Missed the playoffs in 1990. FIRED! Back then, this ownership didn't take any s*** and didn't stand for mediocracy while "rebuilding."  Bryan Murray came in and built the foundation (all while making the playoffs every year) and helped create the team that dominated the NHL. Is there a Bryan Murray or Scotty Bowman out there to take Blashill's place? Don't know. But if Demers can get fired for s***ting the playoffs and missing ONE playoff season after  win Coach of the Year two years in a row, then Blashill has to go, immediately. We need ownership who cares about winning, cares about the fans, hold's both coaches and players accountable. It makes no sense that Blashill still has a job after the last 3 season's results.  Maybe it's just not Blashill that has becomes stale, maybe the Ilitch's have become stale as well...again, bottom line is something drastic has to happen before I continue to sink my hard earned money into this franchise. It's way past time, it's way past acceptability.

Edited by LeftWinger

Just now, LeftWinger said:

This ownership is no longer the best in the NHL. It seems Chris is too afraid to make any moves that are needed in order to turn this franchise around. Rewind if you would, Jacques Demers just won TWO Jack Adams trophies in a row, 1987 and 1988. He coached the Wings to 1st place in the Norris again in 1989, then losing to Chicago in the 1st round. Missed the playoffs in 1990. FIRED! Back then, this ownership didn't take no s*** and didn't stand for mediocracy while "rebuilding."  Bryan Murray came in and built the foundation (all while making the playoffs every year) and helped create the team that dominated the NHL. Is there a Bryan Murray or Scotty Bowman out there to take Blashill's place? Don't know. But if Demers can get fired for s***ting the playoffs and missing ONE playoff season after  win Coach of the Year two years in a row, then Blashill has to go, immediately. We need ownership who cares about winning, cares about the fans, hold's both coaches and players accountable. It makes no sense that Blashill still has a job after the last 3 season's results.  Maybe it's just not Blashill that has becomes stale, maybe the Ilitch's have become stale as well...again, bottom line is something drastic has to happen before I continue to sink my hard earned money into this franchise. It's way past time, it's way past acceptability.

Back in the late 80s there were expectations that the team was supposed to be getting better. Demers had more to work with. 1990 was a failure. So BAM!

This team is supposed to be getting worse. And they are. You have to accept this and clearly you're not. 

I want Blashill gone too. Forget the wins/loses, this team plays with no structure and that should be something any good coach should be able to do with almost any team. 

Just read this article 

https://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2018/10/poor_effort_leaves_red_wings_j.html#incart_river_index

Blash is all angry they weren't ready to play ummm isn't that your job to make sure they are ready?

Hell call a timeout in the 1st period while you are getting peppered. Rip arse during the timeout show some fire yourself.  I would like to see Blash wig out smash a clipboard something vs being just plain vanilla which is what I see when he coaches. 

1 hour ago, AtlantaHotWings said:

Just read this article 

https://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2018/10/poor_effort_leaves_red_wings_j.html#incart_river_index

Blash is all angry they weren't ready to play ummm isn't that your job to make sure they are ready?

Hell call a timeout in the 1st period while you are getting peppered. Rip arse during the timeout show some fire yourself.  I would like to see Blash wig out smash a clipboard something vs being just plain vanilla which is what I see when he coaches. 

Exactly.  Less talking and more lighting fires under asses.

2 hours ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Back in the late 80s there were expectations that the team was supposed to be getting better. Demers had more to work with. 1990 was a failure. So BAM!

This team is supposed to be getting worse. And they are. You have to accept this and clearly you're not. 

I want Blashill gone too. Forget the wins/loses, this team plays with no structure and that should be something any good coach should be able to do with almost any team. 

Back then we'd see players moved to shake up the roster, and dressing room...Now that trades are few, and far between - the blame falls upon the shoulders of the head coach...I do however feel a coaching change might be the best option at this time.

2 hours ago, e_prime said:

Exactly.  Less talking and more lighting fires under asses.

But to do that we would need to motivate the coach whose job it is to motivate the players, but is whining to the press about the players not being motivated. It’s like an Escher painting. 

2 hours ago, rwing said:

But to do that we would need to motivate the coach whose job it is to motivate the players, but is whining to the press about the players not being motivated. It’s like an Escher painting. 

You think he might have a boss that would light a fire?  Oh wait. That guy's too busy polishing his big brass balls, toasting his past president cup winning seasons and having the help clean his Stanley Cup rings.

8 minutes ago, e_prime said:

You think he might have a boss that would light a fire?  Oh wait. That guy's too busy polishing his big brass balls, toasting his past president cup winning seasons and having the help clean his Stanley Cup rings.

Blashill be lookin over his shoulder

1 hour ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

This is NOT a Blashill problem.  This is a brass problem.  Ilitch/Devellano/Holland.  Holland mostly, since the top 2 have given him free reign.  How the F$%K is a team going to come together without a God damn captain?  Guys not speaking up in the room?  Well no shute.  We don't have a f$%king captain.  First thing you do to get this ship righted so the team at least looks respectable is put the C on Larkin.  These stupid conversations about it are asinine.  Get an A on AA and Cholowski.  Those are your on-ice leaders.  PERIOD.  No more grab ass.  Holland is to blame for the state of this team.  He signed all the worthless vets (Nielsen, Abby, Helm, Green, Howard, etc.) to these horrible contracts.  Blashill can't just put those guys in the press box.  He has to ice what Holland gives him.  Firing Blashill isn't going to hurt the team, but Toe Blake couldn't coach this team out of the cellar.  Half our team SUCKS.  Period.

I disagree. I think this team has enough talent overall to be a borderline playoff time.

I'm not going to say whether I want Blashill gone or not.  I'm torn.  On the one hand, lose for Hughes ya know?  On the other, I'm not positive his system is best for the growth of our young players.  I'm no systems expert, so take this with a grain of salt, but it doesn't seem like his system utilizes our team's best asset...speed.  Seems like we get circles skated around us each night.  That would make sense if this were the 2013 Red Wings and we were loaded down with old vets.  But in theory we should be one of the league's fastest hockey clubs and we aren't.  Gotta think that's a deliberate choice.  And if so, how is that going to help out these young guys who are certainly going to have to play an uptempo game for their next coach given how the league is trending. 

2 hours ago, F.Michael said:

Right now I feel the Wings are still outta the playoff picture - however they should be much more competitive than what they are.

This team won't even sniff the playoffs this season, but I did think that they had the lineup to finish somewhere between 8-10 in the Conference AT BEST. At this point it looks like they will finish in the bottom 4 overall, and maybe now that is not such a bad thing.

10 hours ago, kipwinger said:

I'm not going to say whether I want Blashill gone or not.  I'm torn.  On the one hand, lose for Hughes ya know?  On the other, I'm not positive his system is best for the growth of our young players.  I'm no systems expert, so take this with a grain of salt, but it doesn't seem like his system utilizes our team's best asset...speed.  Seems like we get circles skated around us each night.  That would make sense if this were the 2013 Red Wings and we were loaded down with old vets.  But in theory we should be one of the league's fastest hockey clubs and we aren't.  Gotta think that's a deliberate choice.  And if so, how is that going to help out these young guys who are certainly going to have to play an uptempo game for their next coach given how the league is trending. 

The Habs are a young team that made it a point to play with speed this season. The results speak for themselves. But we can't play with speed with guys like Ericsson who make extremely poor decisions with the puck. 

The whole "speed wins" narrative from the last 5 - 7 years has become so overblown.

It's so overly simplified, and I suspect just another way to say young fresh-legged kids = good, slower beat up vets = bad.

Anyway, speed - or mobility - is certainly ONE aspect of hockey, but it is FAR from the only, and should not be put on such a high pedestal above other skills sets.

This team can play with speed if it wants to, even with Ericsson playing 17 min a night. Just like Edmonton can play with speed, with Kris Russell playing 20 min, just like Toronto can with Ron Hainsey playing 20 min, just like Tampa can with Girardi playing 16 min, etc etc.

Teams with balanced lines win hockey games, teams with talented superstars win hockey games, teams with excellent systems win hockey games, teams that grind every minute win hockey games, sometimes goalies alone steal hockey games, etc etc. Fact is you need some sort of identity that combines all or some of these winning aspects and others. Speed is not the end all be all, it never was, and it never will be.

Our team does not have balanced lines, our team does not have any superstars, our team does not have good systems, our team does not grind every minute, our team has average goaltending, our team is not overly physical, etc etc.

What does our team have? Speed, and plenty of it. And we're still bad.

All you folks who were jacked up to have Blashill behind the bench because "coaches have a shelf life" and "Bab's voice was stale in the room" need to now reap what you sowed. This is it boys n girls, this is what a speedy youth team looks like with a coach who was brought in "cause he's good with kids". Doesn't look very nice does it? Well strap in for the rough ride sally's, cause these kids still have a ton of growing to do while we burn off the remaining vet contracts.

If any of you actually believed that Blashill was "good with kids" back in 2015, then you'll agree with me that he should remain our coach for the next 3 - 4 years. Not like bringing in anyone else is suddenly gonna make us a contender at this point. Might as well toil while ol'Jeffrey builds our youth up, right? He's good with kids after all, right? That's precisely what a rebuilding team needs from a coach.

It's like you all demanded a rebuild for years, and now that it's here, you're mad that we're not winning hockey games and want the coach fired. Looney. Coaches on rebuilding teams DON'T win hockey games.

Enjoy the season you fricken fricks. Lose for booze or whatever you say.