Richdg

Has Blashill finally lost the team?

Rate this topic

11 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

"His system isnt good for the kids"

"He leans too heavily on his fav vets"

"Weve been on the decline for too long, team needs a mix up"

"No identity, his voice is stale"

I swear ive heard this all somewhere before, but where?

Hmmmm

what are things an LGW member would say?

16 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Amateur hour.  These are adults.  Not high school players.  If they need conditioning, then you bench them until they get their sh%t together on their own.  That's called being a pro.  Brendan Smith thought he could carry 20 extra lbs.  NY sent his ass home.  Comes back 20 lbs lighter.  Back in.  Simple as that.  That's a 4 mil per year guy.  Watching Mantha, Abby, and Rasmussen drag ass out there is pathetic.  If you aren't gonna skate hard, then you should sit.  Some guys are slow.  I'm not saying Vanek and Kronwall are going to become burners.  But Mantha and Rasmussen are early to mid 20s.  These guys should be in foot races every shift.

My coach made us go the other way and turn around at every line.  I WISH it would have just been back and forth across the width.

NHL coaches do this all the time. Babcock used to do it in Detroit. It has nothing to do with conditioning. 

6 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Their paychecks should be performance based.

They could go 0-82 and still get their millions. In the end, its all about their wallets. They lose, hey guess what, they still got paid and they'll just "try" again tomorrow.

It'll never happen, but I agree with this.

15 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

They could go 0-82 and still get their millions. In the end, its all about their wallets. They lose, hey guess what, they still got paid and they'll just "try" again tomorrow.

They are, in a way. For example, if Mantha keeps this nonsense up (he won't) what do you think he gets paid in 2 years? 

4 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

The whole "speed wins" narrative from the last 5 - 7 years has become so overblown.

It's so overly simplified, and I suspect just another way to say young fresh-legged kids = good, slower beat up vets = bad.

Anyway, speed - or mobility - is certainly ONE aspect of hockey, but it is FAR from the only, and should not be put on such a high pedestal above other skills sets.

This team can play with speed if it wants to, even with Ericsson playing 17 min a night. Just like Edmonton can play with speed, with Kris Russell playing 20 min, just like Toronto can with Ron Hainsey playing 20 min, just like Tampa can with Girardi playing 16 min, etc etc.

Teams with balanced lines win hockey games, teams with talented superstars win hockey games, teams with excellent systems win hockey games, teams that grind every minute win hockey games, sometimes goalies alone steal hockey games, etc etc. Fact is you need some sort of identity that combines all or some of these winning aspects and others. Speed is not the end all be all, it never was, and it never will be.

Our team does not have balanced lines, our team does not have any superstars, our team does not have good systems, our team does not grind every minute, our team has average goaltending, our team is not overly physical, etc etc.

What does our team have? Speed, and plenty of it. And we're still bad.

All you folks who were jacked up to have Blashill behind the bench because "coaches have a shelf life" and "Bab's voice was stale in the room" need to now reap what you sowed. This is it boys n girls, this is what a speedy youth team looks like with a coach who was brought in "cause he's good with kids". Doesn't look very nice does it? Well strap in for the rough ride sally's, cause these kids still have a ton of growing to do while we burn off the remaining vet contracts.

If any of you actually believed that Blashill was "good with kids" back in 2015, then you'll agree with me that he should remain our coach for the next 3 - 4 years. Not like bringing in anyone else is suddenly gonna make us a contender at this point. Might as well toil while ol'Jeffrey builds our youth up, right? He's good with kids after all, right? That's precisely what a rebuilding team needs from a coach.

It's like you all demanded a rebuild for years, and now that it's here, you're mad that we're not winning hockey games and want the coach fired. Looney. Coaches on rebuilding teams DON'T win hockey games.

Enjoy the season you fricken fricks. Lose for booze or whatever you say.

Well said :clap:

I'm gonna start watching more LA Kings games...Apparently they lack 'speed', but they certainly have talent...I'd like to see why they're off to a bad start.

These players know the deal.  They see and hear what's going on around them regarding being in "rebuild" mode.  I think this effects the players mental state and drive to win.  Almost as if they are waiting for reinforcements and resigned to the fact that it's widely accepted, even internally, that they are just gong to be a bad team for a while.

It's like getting paired with a notoriously bad euchre player...you just realize from the start that your not gong to win and therefore you hardheartedly play, the table conversation has you more interested than the game, and try and be the funniest guy at the table.  Oh yeah...and you're constantly having to ask at nauseum "what's trump???"  Besides this there is really nothing else to do besides lose.

2 hours ago, Learn2LuvIt said:

These players know the deal.  They see and hear what's going on around them regarding being in "rebuild" mode.  I think this effects the players mental state and drive to win.  Almost as if they are waiting for reinforcements and resigned to the fact that it's widely accepted, even internally, that they are just gong to be a bad team for a while.

It's like getting paired with a notoriously bad euchre player...you just realize from the start that your not gong to win and therefore you hardheartedly play, the table conversation has you more interested than the game, and try and be the funniest guy at the table.  Oh yeah...and you're constantly having to ask at nauseum "what's trump???"  Besides this there is really nothing else to do besides lose.

Your president

But in all seriousness, what you are describing is exactly what goes on in rebuilds that rebuild junkies conveniently ignore. You develop a culture of losing. Now we are at risk of becoming an oilers/sabres/yotes team, where not even endless waves of 1st round picks can fix you. Everyone in the room deep down expects or anticipates losing. REALLY hope were not looking at the begining of that long road. 

5 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Your president

But in all seriousness, what you are describing is exactly what goes on in rebuilds that rebuild junkies conveniently ignore. You develop a culture of losing. Now we are at risk of becoming an oilers/sabres/yotes team, where not even endless waves of 1st round picks can fix you. Everyone in the room deep down expects or anticipates losing. REALLY hope were not looking at the begining of that long road. 

I would agree.  However, I think WHEN you get the right pieces in place and are ready to get out of "rebuild" mode, actions like firing your entire coaching staff and replacing your GM can be big indicators to your team and fans that that the "rebuild" is over and you're expecting to win/make playoffs/win a cup.

8 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

College>pros no matter what sport because of this.

10 hours ago, Learn2LuvIt said:

I would agree.  However, I think WHEN you get the right pieces in place and are ready to get out of "rebuild" mode, actions like firing your entire coaching staff and replacing your GM can be big indicators to your team and fans that that the "rebuild" is over and you're expecting to win/make playoffs/win a cup.

And even then, those drastic personel changes may not be enough. How many times have toronto, edmonton, and buffalo canned staff to no effect? For Toronto it took a HOF GM, likely HOF coach, Matthews, and some very good young forwards and Dmen around him to get out of their bubble. Even McDavid hasnt pulled the oilers out yet. IDK, dont really care for this losing business.

6 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

And even then, those drastic personel changes may not be enough. How many times have toronto, edmonton, and buffalo canned staff to no effect? For Toronto it took a HOF GM, likely HOF coach, Matthews, and some very good young forwards and Dmen around him to get out of their bubble. Even McDavid hasnt pulled the oilers out yet. IDK, dont really care for this losing business.

Yep, great points.  It did work in Chicago and Tampa, but totally understand it's a slippery slope.  I'm just getting tired of being at the bottom of the league, but not far enough at the bottom that without genius/luck drafting, improving our team is very limited.  I'm kinda in a "get busy livin, or get busy dying" mentality.  I want to win of course, but just feeling like we'll back to being a playoff team if we commit to a rebuild and put our cards on the table, and commit to our youth movement.  Even if we are really bad for a few years.  The league is now built for parity, and without a lot of luck and low draft picks turning into absolute studs (not one of them, but multiple), this is really the most effective way to get back to winning.

I think our fan base and level as a city that is extremely loyal to our Wings will ultimately prevail.  IMO..I don't see a lot of Wings fans walking away from this team after a few horrendous years if we all are aware we are in a rebuild mode.

My worst case scenario for this year would be to: win enough to still be somewhat in the playoff picture come the trade deadline.  Then we make a stupid move and try and upgrade the team with a veteran on a short term deal, while trading away either young players showing promise, or low draft picks (or draft picks in general).  Then we miss making the playoffs in the last two weeks of the regular season. 

Best case scenarios for this year would be:

1.  Start off the year hot.  Young players starting to impart their identity on the team.  We continue to win and play well.  No trades made at the trade deadline.  We make the playoffs as a 6 seed.  Our young team known for their speed and out hustling other teams shocks the world and makes it to the SCF.  Ken Holland announces the night we are eliminated that he's moving up to the front office to take over Jimmy D's position.  Stevie Y is at this game and next to Holland as he announces this news.  Kenny states their will be a press conference the following week to announce the Wings new GM.  (The first part of has already played out, and we are not making it anywhere close to the playoffs...this option 1 is out).

2.  We are a bad team through the whole year.  However, we are committed to our "rebuild" and playing our youth through the entire season.  From the good stretches to the outright horrendous losing streaks.  We trade a few of our veterans at the trade deadline for draft picks and also get a few young players who show promise.  Our young players get vital experience and bond together as a team committed to improvement the following year.  Kenny announces retirement with Stevie Y next to him, and same as above, states that new GM will be announced the following week. We get Jack Hughes, and a few other young studs in the draft (including a top D prospect) in the draft.

Edited by Learn2LuvIt

4 hours ago, Learn2LuvIt said:

Yep, great points.  It did work in Chicago and Tampa, but totally understand it's a slippery slope.  I'm just getting tired of being at the bottom of the league, but not far enough at the bottom that without genius/luck drafting, improving our team is very limited.  I'm kinda in a "get busy livin, or get busy dying" mentality.  I want to win of course, but just feeling like we'll back to being a playoff team if we commit to a rebuild and put our cards on the table, and commit to our youth movement.  Even if we are really bad for a few years.  The league is now built for parity, and without a lot of luck and low draft picks turning into absolute studs (not one of them, but multiple), this is really the most effective way to get back to winning.

I think our fan base and level as a city that is extremely loyal to our Wings will ultimately prevail.  IMO..I don't see a lot of Wings fans walking away from this team after a few horrendous years if we all are aware we are in a rebuild mode.

My worst case scenario for this year would be to: win enough to still be somewhat in the playoff picture come the trade deadline.  Then we make a stupid move and try and upgrade the team with a veteran on a short term deal, while trading away either young players showing promise, or low draft picks (or draft picks in general).  Then we miss making the playoffs in the last two weeks of the regular season. 

Best case scenarios for this year would be:

1.  Start off the year hot.  Young players starting to impart their identity on the team.  We continue to win and play well.  No trades made at the trade deadline.  We make the playoffs as a 6 seed.  Our young team known for their speed and out hustling other teams shocks the world and makes it to the SCF.  Ken Holland announces the night we are eliminated that he's moving up to the front office to take over Jimmy D's position.  Stevie Y is at this game and next to Holland as he announces this news.  Kenny states their will be a press conference the following week to announce the Wings new GM.  (The first part of has already played out, and we are not making it anywhere close to the playoffs...this option 1 is out).

2.  We are a bad team through the whole year.  However, we are committed to our "rebuild" and playing our youth through the entire season.  From the good stretches to the outright horrendous losing streaks.  We trade a few of our veterans at the trade deadline for draft picks and also get a few young players who show promise.  Our young players get vital experience and bond together as a team committed to improvement the following year.  Kenny announces retirement with Stevie Y next to him, and same as above, states that new GM will be announced the following week. We get Jack Hughes, and a few other young studs in the draft (including a top D prospect) in the draft.

My issue is we are continually trending downward every year. Hopefully this year is rock bottom, but who knows at this point. If we trade any combo of Howard/Nyquist/Dman things are only gonna get worse before they get better. 

Larkin could be elite one day, but im not certain of that

Mantha is trending backwards

AA looks better this year, but who knows where he ends up

Bertuzzi looks ok, but who knows

Cholowski is the one bright spot this year, but who knows where he'll be in a few years.

Rasmussen is invisible but still very young 

My point being we have ZERO elite players on this team. And we have to assume none of these players will become one. Certainly none have truly grabbed the reigns yet, all we can do is hope one does.

I need to see a winning streak out of this team so my faith is restored. Gimme a glimmer of hope i beg you, because things are projecting really bad right now. I worry that this group is just more Filppulas, Hudlers, Smiths, Kindls, Tatars, and Nyquists. 

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

On 10/24/2018 at 8:43 AM, krsmith17 said:

Doesn't it seem unfair that the goalies have to do this with  their pads ON?

On 10/24/2018 at 6:29 PM, HadThomasVokounOnFortSt said:

College>pros no matter what sport because of this.

Until they start getting paid that is.

On 10/24/2018 at 9:44 AM, LeftWinger said:

They are. That's why McDavids and Crosbys make millions more than Sheahans and Abdelkaders.

1 hour ago, RedWingsRox said:

Rumors of Alaine Vigneaut to LA if they continue to falter ... should Wings snag him first?  

Vig only ever really did well with contending teams. Hes the type of coach you fire to start a rebuild. No, what we need is a guy who's good with kids. A guy who can train them up... perhaps someone with success at the AHL level?