• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Jonas Mahonas

Ovechkin to 1,000 Goals?

Rate this topic

On 3/18/2018 at 2:02 AM, Jonas Mahonas said:

Exactly.  Datsyuk and Kovalchuk left for Russia.  Not Ovechkin.

Ovechkin will be at 800 goals within the next 6 seasons.  It might take him 4.  It might take him 6.  But I cant see him EVER producing less than 30 goals a year until he's over 45 years old.  Based on that, he will only need to go 9 more seasons at the very worst to go by Gretzky.  

There's all kinds of wrong with what you are saying. #1 - can't see him scoring less than 30 goals a year until he's over 45...are you serious? #2 - he'd "only" need 9 more years at worst to break the record?  That brings  him to 42, which is older than almost everyone has played.....I get it, several have played that long, but playing that long and keep scoring is lower on the probability scale.  #3 your math is wrong anyway...assuming your "at the very worst" means he's scoring 30 goals every year, it will take more than 9 seasons.  He's not going to score at least 30 goals a year, every year, into his mid-40s, it's just not going to happen.  May he'll score more in the near years such that it averages out, but I just don't seem him playing long enough and scoring enough each year to get there.  

It will be no surprise at all to me if he never has another 50 goal season.

12 hours ago, toby91_ca said:

There's all kinds of wrong with what you are saying. #1 - can't see him scoring less than 30 goals a year until he's over 45...are you serious? #2 - he'd "only" need 9 more years at worst to break the record?  That brings  him to 42, which is older than almost everyone has played.....I get it, several have played that long, but playing that long and keep scoring is lower on the probability scale.  #3 your math is wrong anyway...assuming your "at the very worst" means he's scoring 30 goals every year, it will take more than 9 seasons.  He's not going to score at least 30 goals a year, every year, into his mid-40s, it's just not going to happen.  May he'll score more in the near years such that it averages out, but I just don't seem him playing long enough and scoring enough each year to get there.  

It will be no surprise at all to me if he never has another 50 goal season.

Agree with you here. Too many things have to go right for this to happen. Not saying it couldn't happen, and Ovi probably has the best shot, but it would be like Bonds hitting 756 HR w/o the juice.

10 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Agree with you here. Too many things have to go right for this to happen. Not saying it couldn't happen, and Ovi probably has the best shot, but it would be like Bonds hitting 756 HR w/o the juice.

How about we give Ovie the pad sizes Gretzky got to score on. Almost like being on the juice

9 hours ago, kickazz said:

How about we give Ovie the pad sizes Gretzky got to score on. Almost like being on the juice

Can we give Ovie a Titan stick as well?

In my mind, Ovie is probably the better pure goal scorer, but that's not really the question here....question is will he be able to beat the record.  I think the logical answer is no.

Would have liked to see what kind of numbers Gretzky could have put up if Suter never nailed him from behind into the boards when he was 30 though....wasn't the same after that.

If Ovi played in the Gretzky era, then yes he could beat Gretzky's record. But he plays in an era wear goalies are bigger and better. Don't see it happening in todays game. If you take 80s Gretzky and transplant him into today's NHL, he doesn't score 894. So unless Ovi is a better goal scorer than Gretzky, he won't either.

36 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

If Ovi played in the Gretzky era, then yes he could beat Gretzky's record. But he plays in an era wear goalies are bigger and better. Don't see it happening in todays game. If you take 80s Gretzky and transplant him into today's NHL, he doesn't score 894. So unless Ovi is a better goal scorer than Gretzky, he won't either.

He is, and he still won't.

I also think Gretzky could have scored way more goals than he did.  He passed up several prime scoring chances to give teammates tap in goals.  He was never a shoot first guy.  He has more than 2 assist for every goal he's scored.  Ovie was clearly the opposite....with less assists than goals.

Not basing this on stats though.....spend some time watching Gretzky highlights.

3 hours ago, toby91_ca said:

I also think Gretzky could have scored way more goals than he did.  He passed up several prime scoring chances to give teammates tap in goals.  He was never a shoot first guy.  He has more than 2 assist for every goal he's scored.  Ovie was clearly the opposite....with less assists than goals.

Not basing this on stats though.....spend some time watching Gretzky highlights.

Gretzky's stats are insane. The fact that you could remove every single goal he ever scored in his career and he would still rank #1 in points with his assists alone is remarkable. 

18 hours ago, kliq said:

Gretzky's stats are insane. The fact that you could remove every single goal he ever scored in his career and he would still rank #1 in points with his assists alone is remarkable. 

Which is why, although unlikely, if Ovi passed him in goals, i would still say Gretzky was better offensively. Gretzky created offense. Ovechkin benefits from everyone else's.

42 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Which is why, although unlikely, if Ovi passed him in goals, i would still say Gretzky was better offensively. Gretzky created offense. Ovechkin benefits from everyone else's.

Better offensively? Absolutely. I don't think anyone would argue against Gretzky being the best offensive player. Best "pure" goal scorer? I'd give that edge to Ovechkin, despite Gretzky likely finishing their respective careers with 100 more goals...

On 3/23/2018 at 8:01 PM, toby91_ca said:

All I can think about when I watch Gretzky highlights is think about Ovechkin scoring 175 goals a year against those crappy stand up goalies and their little pads.

1 hour ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

All I can think about when I watch Gretzky highlights is think about Ovechkin scoring 175 goals a year against those crappy stand up goalies and their little pads.

There's no denying that Ovechkin is 100% the better shooter. Gretzky was ahead of his time. A guy playing in the 80s/90s who likely was meant to play in the 2000s. 

6 hours ago, kickazz said:

There's no denying that Ovechkin is 100% the better shooter. Gretzky was ahead of his time. A guy playing in the 80s/90s who likely was meant to play in the 2000s. 

Gretzky was the last of the non fitness era players.  He would have kicked ass in any era, but I don't think 200 pts is attainable in today's game.  Stretch his career out over 22 years in today's game with him training like today's players, and I still think he gets 2000 - 2500 pts, tho.  

6 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Gretzky was the last of the non fitness era players.  He would have kicked ass in any era, but I don't think 200 pts is attainable in today's game.  Stretch his career out over 22 years in today's game with him training like today's players, and I still think he gets 2000 - 2500 pts, tho.  

Gretzky only played 20 seasons, and if he played those 20 seasons in today's era, with the same equipment and training, he'd probably still be the best player, but I doubt he'd hit 2000 points, and definitely not 2500 in my opinion.

18 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

So would Nyquist via time machine transportation.  That's not how comparing eras works.    

4 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Gretzky only played 20 seasons, and if he played those 20 seasons in today's era, with the same equipment and training, he'd probably still be the best player, but I doubt he'd hit 2000 points, and definitely not 2500 in my opinion.

I'm glad you disagree with me on everything I say and take everything I say as if I said it was fact instead of how I actually said it as assumption.  Watch how fun this is: I think what you said is wrong and what I say is right.  People talk about me being a troll.  You take the cake, though.

5 minutes ago, GMRwings1983 said:

So would Nyquist via time machine transportation.  That's not how comparing eras works.    

Nahhh, Nyquist would be smeared easily and injured often.  Gretz had goons to watch his back.  Nyquist wouldn't have them.

Edited by Jonas Mahonas

16 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

I'm glad you disagree with me on everything I say and take everything I say as if I said it was fact instead of how I actually said it as assumption.  Watch how fun this is: I think what you said is wrong and what I say is right.  People talk about me being a troll.  You take the cake, though.

I never take anything you say as "fact". I just disagree with a lot of your opinions and think most of them are completely out to lunch... Case in point - "Ovechkin will score 1000 goals in the NHL"...

You're free to disagree with everything I say. It wouldn't bother me a bit. If anything I would feel it would further validate my opinion...

The one thing we've agreed on here is that Brendan Smith is a good top 4 defenseman... I should have known I'd be dead wrong on that one... :lol:

"Gretzky only played 20 seasons."

I didn't say he played any more or less.

I IMPLIED that IF he could play 22 seasons due to better conditioning,  then ....

But you being the contrarian troll as of late, keep finding a way to be 180 degrees to me.  

I'm ok with that, btw.  Im not a message board policeman by any means.  I just want you to recognize you are doing a good job!

IMO, Ovechkin has played 13 seasons, with 3 years remaining. I can see him getting near 150 more in that time span, but I really don't see him playing anymore in the NHL after that. He was SO ANGRY that he could not go to the Olympics, that come 4 years from now, he just may go to KHL so he can play in Beijing. Maybe a return to the NHL to get a Cup with a contender (maybe we'll be that contender in 5 years) for a year contract,  but he'll never top 1000 goals in the NHL, he plays too physical of a game to play that many more seasons in this league.

Edited by LeftWinger