No registered users viewing this page.

Jonas Mahonas

Ovechkin to 1,000 Goals?

Rate this topic

11 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

34, 35, 36.

KRSmith: "He might get to 50 this year."

Ha ha ha ha

And he only scored in 2 of the 16 games prior to last night....so.......you never really know.  Take Laine for example, he scored 21 goals in his first 24 games and has scored 4 goals in his last 24.

5 minutes ago, toby91_ca said:

And he only scored in 2 of the 16 games prior to last night....so.......you never really know.  Take Laine for example, he scored 21 goals in his first 24 games and has scored 4 goals in his last 24.

So, what you're saying is goal scores are streaky? :lol:

5 minutes ago, toby91_ca said:

This.

Slumps happen, even to the most lethal goal scorers. Ovechkin's longest goal scoring drought is 10 games. That's insane, but it could and likely will happen again, the older he gets...

Injuries happen, even to the most durable players. Ovechkin has only missed 4 games in the past 4 and half seasons. That's great, but an injury can happen at any time...

6 hours ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

So, what you're saying is goal scores are streaky? :lol:

We all know they are....yes.....but the main point is.....he had 29 goals in 32 games, people thinking he had a chance for 50 in 50 or he's a lock for 50 or 60 goals because of that pace.....people getting laughed at because they say he has a "chance" at 50, like thinking he might not get there is stupid....that's not the case at all.

19 minutes ago, toby91_ca said:

We all know they are....yes.....but the main point is.....he had 29 goals in 32 games, people thinking he had a chance for 50 in 50 or he's a lock for 50 or 60 goals because of that pace.....people getting laughed at because they say he has a "chance" at 50, like thinking he might not get there is stupid....that's not the case at all.

Wrekt 

3 hours ago, toby91_ca said:

He had a "chance" at 70.

50 was/is LOCKED.

I watched the Caps' Cup video earlier. Seeing all the goals that went in on both sides each round, they were lucky they had Ovie score all the goals he did to balance out Holtby's inconsistent play. When he was on, he was on, but man he let in some garbage when he was off. The look on Ovie's face like "f***, i guess we need ANOTHER one." Absolutely deserved that Smythe.

11 hours ago, chaps80 said:

I watched the Caps' Cup video earlier. Seeing all the goals that went in on both sides each round, they were lucky they had Ovie score all the goals he did to balance out Holtby's inconsistent play. When he was on, he was on, but man he let in some garbage when he was off. The look on Ovie's face like "f***, i guess we need ANOTHER one." Absolutely deserved that Smythe.

I have no issues with it going to Ovie, but could have just as easily gone to Kuznetsov.  Ovie had 15g and 27pts vs. Kuznetsov's 12g and 32pts.  In the finals, Ovie had 5pts vs. Kuznetsov's 8pts, but he had 3 goals vs. Kuznetsov's 1.  Sometimes I'd default to the centreman if it's close because it's a more important position (but not sure Kuznetsov really plays the overall type game or not...), sometimes you default to the captain as well if you want a tie breaker because a lot of times they are carrying a bigger load than just scoring (again, similar to Kuznetsov at C, I'm not close enough to the team to make the call as to whether Ovie is your typically C type guy).......so I just go by stats with them and figure it's a toss up.

5 hours ago, toby91_ca said:

I have no issues with it going to Ovie, but could have just as easily gone to Kuznetsov.  Ovie had 15g and 27pts vs. Kuznetsov's 12g and 32pts.  In the finals, Ovie had 5pts vs. Kuznetsov's 8pts, but he had 3 goals vs. Kuznetsov's 1.  Sometimes I'd default to the centreman if it's close because it's a more important position (but not sure Kuznetsov really plays the overall type game or not...), sometimes you default to the captain as well if you want a tie breaker because a lot of times they are carrying a bigger load than just scoring (again, similar to Kuznetsov at C, I'm not close enough to the team to make the call as to whether Ovie is your typically C type guy).......so I just go by stats with them and figure it's a toss up.

Ovechkin was known to really pick up his defense last year, including the playoffs. He didn't win the Smyth just because he scored a lot of goals or points. He won it because he did all that and played great defense. He had 80 some hits, a ton of takeaways, lots of blocked shots. He was all over the ice. Also if I'm not mistaken he was the only one that scored a point in each game in the finals. You may be looking at totals; but you have the look at the spread and contribution overall. 

Edited by kickazz