• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

amato

Olympic Hockey just got more interesting - Russia Banned

Rate this topic

Holy s***. Talk about a game changer for Olympic hockey.. I guess ovi and friends won’t leave no matter what now :o 

The panel had been mulling a confidential IOC report that detailed Russia’s official doping program during the 2014 Sochi Olympics, and the extensive cover-up.

This ban was a long time coming, and certainly deserved. The McLaren Report, released in two parts by the World Anti-Doping Agency in Julyand December 2016, detailed the doping and subsequent cover-up by the Russian state. It started as far back as 2011 and involves at least the 2012 Olympics in London and the 2014 Olympics in Sochi, though the IOC panel was only asked to rule on the doping that occurred during the 2014 Olympics. Over 1,000 athletes were involved.

The doping, and the hiding of the doping, were extensive. (In fact, “extensive” is somehow an understatement.) At one point, small rods were used to pry open the sealed tops of urine testing containers, fluids were switched and the caps replaced, with the containers being exchanged through small holes in a wall. Russian officials would add substances like salt to the clean, switched urine samples to make them appear more real. This is just the tip of a very elaborate iceberg of doping and cover-ups.

https://www.yahoo.com/amphtml/sports/russia-banned-2018-winter-olympics-pyeongchang-183735604.html

Edited by amato

NBC Sports elaborated a little more and said that individuals who were clean and met certain criteria could compete as independents or something. Also said it was unclear what this meant for team sports. I would think it means no Russian hockey team but the details aren’t quite clear yet. 

http://olympics.nbcsports.com/2017/12/05/russia-banned-olympics-pyeongchang-ioc/

33 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

You'd think those idiots over there would've learned sumthin when they were banned from the World JR's...Now their entire Olympic team is gonna sit home.

200?cb=20110623042517

Should’ve  learned their lesson in 1991 tbh. Losers will always be losers.

The only one I geniounly feel bad for is Datsyuk. He’s stuck with idiots making idiotic decisions and screwing their national team over.

Edited by kickazz

1 hour ago, Only bleeds RED said:

I wonder which country will offer best incentives now to become a citizen to play on their Olympic team.  

Not that simple.  I believe the player would have to first change their nationality....not an easy process and unlikely to take place in a couple months.  Should that happen, the other criteria would be that they couldn't have represented their former country in international competition within the last 3 years.

2 minutes ago, toby91_ca said:

Not that simple.  I believe the player would have to first change their nationality....not an easy process and unlikely to take place in a couple months.  Should that happen, the other criteria would be that they couldn't have represented their former country in international competition within the last 3 years.

It was a joke  :yahoo:

Actually, couple olympionics already did. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anastasiya_Kuzmina

...it´s not that rare, in this case of Kuzmina (now Kuzminova), she moved to Slovakia with her russian husdand (Kuzmin), who actually represented Israel. In Sochi, there were 25 such cases. Mostly due to the maximum limits of members of country representation, while countries like Russia, Norway, Austria, they could easily send dozen of olympionics, but regulation is to send like three of them. 

It´s also quite common in soccer, naturalized players could make a choice of country they want to represent (at least in UEFA), only limit is, that they can represent only one country in senior teams. Typically africans do so. 

I don´t know if mentioned soccer limitation is applied to ice-hockey, but actually, Petr Neved was playing for Canada team on 94 in Lillehammer, two years later playing for Czech in World cup and later then in Sochi 2014 olympics. 

1 hour ago, toby91_ca said:

I believe the player would have to first change their nationality....not an easy process and unlikely to take place in a couple months. 

Not all countries have the same strict rules of becoming a citizen like USA. 

1 hour ago, Juklitz said:

Actually, couple olympionics already did. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anastasiya_Kuzmina

...it´s not that rare, in this case of Kuzmina (now Kuzminova), she moved to Slovakia with her russian husdand (Kuzmin), who actually represented Israel. In Sochi, there were 25 such cases. Mostly due to the maximum limits of members of country representation, while countries like Russia, Norway, Austria, they could easily send dozen of olympionics, but regulation is to send like three of them. 

It´s also quite common in soccer, naturalized players could make a choice of country they want to represent (at least in UEFA), only limit is, that they can represent only one country in senior teams. Typically africans do so. 

I don´t know if mentioned soccer limitation is applied to ice-hockey, but actually, Petr Neved was playing for Canada team on 94 in Lillehammer, two years later playing for Czech in World cup and later then in Sochi 2014 olympics. 

Not all countries have the same strict rules of becoming a citizen like USA. 

But Kuzmina was living in Slovakia and was married to a Slovakian with child 3 years before the 2010 olympics. She had a Slovakian passport in 2008 - 2 years before representing them in the olympics. 

That's a lot different than a Russian hockey player with no ties to another country getting citizenship and representing them in 2 months time. Sure there might be some Russians that are settled in other countries that can play for those countries, but how many of Russia's likely Olympic team will that apply to? I'd guess they'd mostly be KHL players living in Russia.

And Nedved had defected to Canada 4 years before the 94 Olympics

Edited by PavelValerievichDatsyuk

2 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Its already been determined that the russian athletes are free to play as independents representing the Olympic Committee.

Who would dare?
After a scandal of that proportion and having kgb trash ruling the country, anyone who participate will for sure face consequences.

1 hour ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Is that just athletes competing in individual sports? How would they be able to organize team sports under the IOC flag?

All I can really find is that they’re not sure what this means for Hockey yet. I imagine they’ll make a decision one way or the other sooner rather than later. 

12 hours ago, PavelValerievichDatsyuk said:

But Kuzmina was living in Slovakia and was married to a Slovakian

Her husband is Russian. He´s just living in Slovakia. Representing Israel. 

With the current anti-doping setup (of which I am sceptical), Russia and it's former designation CCCP should have been banned starting in the late 1950's, when hormones systematically started to be used in a supervised manner, starting with strength sports. That's not to say that noone else did of course, but they were the scientific forerunners.
Most of the basic research regarding hormonal therapy stems from the Soviet Union in the 'later half' of the last century where human subjects displaying potential of athletic ability were mapped, treated and supervised over decades with full medical data.

Food for thought. Google is your friend. If fail, use Google Scholar.

1 hour ago, kickazz said:

With this ban maybe now Russia can focus on closing down those supposed "concentration camps" they have for gays. Where they blatantly get murdered.

Cheating murderers.

where did you get this bs? facebook, i guess.