• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

amato

Olympic Hockey just got more interesting - Russia Banned

Rate this topic

10 hours ago, kickazz said:

And ironic since USSR was notorious for using steroids.

So Barry Bonds and Mark McGwire were Russians?  I didn't know that.

6 hours ago, kickazz said:

With this ban maybe now Russia can focus on closing down those supposed "concentration camps" they have for gays. Where they blatantly get murdered.

Cheating murderers.

Where did you hear that nonsense from?

14 hours ago, GMRwings1983 said:

So Barry Bonds and Mark McGwire were Russians?  I didn't know that.

I didn't know that Bonds and McGwire represented the entire United States olympic team. Dumb comment GMR, I'm disappointed. Soviets were notorious for doping since the 80s. Widely known. But back then there weren't really any anti-doping laws as stringent as today. But what makes this hilarious is that they decided to pull it off again in the 21st century and failed miserably. Because they're idiots. I think 49 some medals were stripped because of last olympics. 49??? And by the numbers half the Russian athletes were doping in the 2016 olympics. Wtf?? Lol. At least try to be subtle about it.  Every country (including the U.S) has doping issues with athletes, but the wide scale that the Soviets/Russians did it in was laughably stupid. And what's hilarious is they're actually playing victim and whining about it. Well unless the IOC appeals the decision, Putin and his boys have a lot of time now to think it over and compete like real men with the rest of the countries. 

14 hours ago, GMRwings1983 said:

Where did you hear that nonsense from?

I linked it. Turns out there's more stuff going on in the world than Trump's toupee problems. Of course dumb Americans that live in a box (most of the people) don't know that.  

18 hours ago, kickazz said:

Edited by kickazz

19 hours ago, kickazz said:

Great example of liberal journalism. I lived long enough to witness soviet propaganda in it prime - around Afgan War, Moscow and Los Angeles Olympics. I was a teenager living in small town in Siberia and I truly believed that hundreds or even thousands blacks are getting lynched every year in America...
Soviet propaganda was all lies, liberal journalism gets soviet propaganda a new life - its far from being just a lie, only the title tells you wrong story and few has time and courage to read full article.

Edited by ami

8 minutes ago, ami said:

Great example of liberal journalism. I lived long enough to witness soviet propaganda in it prime - around Afgan War, Moscow and Los Angeles Olympics. I was a teenager living in small town in Siberia and I truly believed that hundreds or even thousands blacks are getting lynched every year in America...
Soviet propaganda was all lies, liberal journalism gets soviet propaganda a new life - its far from being just a lie, only the title tells you wrong story and few has time and courage to read full article.

That’s why it’s fake news.

Are you ethnically Russian? If so what is your opinion on this ban then? 

Edited by kickazz

1 hour ago, kickazz said:

Are you ethnically Russian? If so what is your opinion on this ban then? 

yes, i am.
the fact the ban was actually invoked by that organization says a lot by itself. I tend to believe that doping usage in Russia is out of proportion, massive in a ways that even IOC bureaucrats cannot ignore it anymore.
having said that, I do not believe the ban will change much. they will pose themselves as  innocent victims, and they will use the ban to prove once again that the West is evil.

I have long despised the way most Russians (both public and officials) treat international sports, wins and loses; so I am being biased.

Edited by ami

2 hours ago, kickazz said:

I didn't know that Bonds and McGwire represented the entire United States olympic team. Dumb comment GMR, I'm disappointed. Soviets were notorious for doping since the 80s. Widely known. But back then there weren't really any anti-doping laws as stringent as today. But what makes this hilarious is that they decided to pull it off again in the 21st century and failed miserably. Because they're idiots. I think 49 some medals were stripped because of last olympics. 49??? And by the numbers half the Russian athletes were doping in the 2016 olympics. Wtf?? Lol. At least try to be subtle about it.  Every country (including the U.S) has doping issues with athletes, but the wide scale that the Soviets/Russians did it in was laughably stupid. And what's hilarious is they're actually playing victim and whining about it. Well unless the IOC appeals the decision, Putin and his boys have a lot of time now to think it over and compete like real men with the rest of the countries. 

I linked it. Turns out there's more stuff going on in the world than Trump's toupee problems. Of course dumb Americans that live in a box (most of the people) don't know that.  

1 hour ago, ami said:

Honestly can't tell if you're being serious. What publications do you find to be reputable?

5 hours ago, ami said:

yes, i am.
the fact the ban was actually invoked by that organization says a lot by itself. I tend to believe that doping usage in Russia is out of proportion, massive in a ways that even IOC bureaucrats cannot ignore it anymore.
having said that, I do not believe the ban will change much. they will pose themselves as  innocent victims, and they will use the ban to prove once again that the West is evil.

I have long despised the way most Russians (both public and officials) treat international sports, wins and loses; so I am being biased.

Good to hear opinion of a native. I give Russia a lot of crap but it’s for good reason. My eldest sister worked for Moscow Medical Academy from 94-01 and I visited in 97 and 01 for months at a time (my summer breaks). A lot of the people had very poor things to say about the sports politics. I’m not sure if that’s changed, maybe the people are more favorable with their leadership now. I’ve been meaning to go back there one day to see how things are and watch some KHL games. I just haven’t had time. We still have some family friends in Moscow, which of course is nothing like the Siberia you grew up in.

Edited by kickazz

Hahahahahaha

Good job Russia. If there was an Olympic doping scandal, it would involve them.  They’ve been obsessed with athletics, being the best at them, and doing anything they could to do so, illegal or otherwise, for a long time. Believe they are smarter and superior to every other country. Guess they aren’t so smart after all. They were so obsessed, especially with hockey, it got to a point where losing a game was the equivalent of losing a military battle to them. It bring shame. The players and coaches on their team in 1980 probably still haven’t gotten over that loss to the US. You just know Tretiak hates seeing that bronze medal blemish on his gold medal record. I believe he was asked recently enough what he thought about it, and he said he should never have been pulled, never would have allowed the types of goals Myshkin did, and had he finished the game, he would have made sure they won. Pretty humble guy that Vlad!

11 hours ago, RusDRW said:

It is funny that some people here truly believe it is about sports :)

Could be more than that. But doping in the Olympics is a huge infringement on the policies. I remember when Ross Rebegliatti(sp?) won the gold in snowboarding for Canada, he was stripped of it because of trace amounts of THC in his system. He claimed he wasn’t a smoker, but was recently hanging out with friends who do, and got the THC second hand. It’s definitely possible with the trace amounts, but nonetheless, he lost the gold for it. His medal was reinstated though after a bit cause weed isn’t on the list of Olympic banned substances. 

But if an athlete can lose a medal over THC in his system, even temporarily, the Russians deserve the ban. I’m sure it was something much  more hardcore they were using. 

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Edited by chaps80

It's bigger than sports for the Russian government. They seem to believe that dominating something athletic on the world stage (the Olympics in this case) convinces the rest of the world that their way of governing is superior, and their country is mightier than it really is. And they are willing to go to such great lengths to accomplish that facade. No one buys into it, everyone knows they're cheating now just like they knew it during the Cold War. Their orchestrated doping effort actually has the opposite effect. I don't understand what the point is in putting so much effort into propaganda that no one buys into.

The irony is that if the NHL had allowed players to participate in the these Olympics, the Russians in the NHL would be allowed to compete (as independents?) because they would have passed all of the drug testing thanks to the NHL's anti-doping efforts.

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

30 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

It's bigger than sports for the Russian government. They seem to believe that dominating something athletic on the world stage (the Olympics in this case) convinces the rest of the world that their way of governing is superior, and their country is mightier than it really is. And they are willing to go to such great lengths to accomplish that facade. No one buys into it, everyone knows they're cheating now just like they knew it during the Cold War. Their orchestrated doping effort actually has the opposite effect. I don't understand what the point is in putting so much effort into propaganda that no one buys into.

Excellent post. 100% agree. 

This is why they piss me off when it comes to Olympics and sports. They have major inferiority complex issues and have to cheat to be at even level with USA and China in Summer Olympics and Canada, USA, Norway for Winter Olympics. 

And somehow their performance translates to them being a "mightier" country. Wtf? 

Edited by kickazz

On 12/9/2017 at 2:46 PM, Legendary D In 03 said:

Honestly can't tell if you're being serious. What publications do you find to be reputable?

One can think the more reputable is a one that publish fewer number deceitful, biased stories with misleading headlines.

19 hours ago, kickazz said:

Excellent post. 100% agree. 

This is why they piss me off when it comes to Olympics and sports. They have major inferiority complex issues and have to cheat to be at even level with USA and China in Summer Olympics and Canada, USA, Norway for Winter Olympics. 

And somehow their performance translates to them being a "mightier" country. Wtf? 

Which I don't get because the entire world acknowledges that they ARE a "superpower". They are one of the 5 permanent members of the UN Security Council for crying out loud, and one of the most powerful countries on the globe. They are rivaled by only the US, UK, and China on the world stage. So why the need to prove something? Why the need to go to such great lengths to convince everyone else of something we already know? Why tarnish your national reputation on a global level? I don't get it.

25 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Which I don't get because the entire world acknowledges that they ARE a "superpower". They are one of the 5 permanent members of the UN Security Council for crying out loud, and one of the most powerful countries on the globe. They are rivaled by only the US, UK, and China on the world stage. So why the need to prove something? Why the need to go to such great lengths to convince everyone else of something we already know? Why tarnish your national reputation on a global level? I don't get it.

You're exactly right. They are a superpower. But they aren't better than USA or China and they want to be. 

It's like that ranking system in grade school. You're the 3rd best student but the 1st and 2nd ranked ones are always a step ahead of you and it pisses you off. 

Of course they can never get to number 1 with technology or military, we've pulled way too far ahead. So the way to flex the muscles is through sports and Olympics and say "Aha! see, we're better than them!" But the truth is, that olympics and sports don't mean a thing. I mean Norway is excellent at Winter Olympics but are they a superpower? Lol no. 

Anyways, I think we're pulling into the non-sports politics and should tone it down before Mabus comes and spanks us. But yeah, I think this is just another way to flex political muscles and now Russia just can't do it.

Edited by kickazz

It's a cultural war. Having the best athletes, suggest you have the best people, and thus the best nation. Russia is still the pillar of anti-western motivation, (while still being very western themselves) they have every motivation to dope their athletes to prove their strength. It's unsurprising.

Most of global politics is cultural warfare these days. Nation building and race relations are mostly distractions, no one cares anymore.

https://sportsanddrugs.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=004420

Summary: The Summer Olympics (0.49%) have nearly double the percentage of reported doping cases as the Winter Olympics (0.28%). Athens 2004 was the most doped Olympics with 26 reported violations of anti-doping rules. Weightlifting is the most doped sport with 36 violations - 28.4% of all Olympic doping cases. Austria has the most doping violations in the Olympics (10) followed by Greece and Russia (tied for second with nine) and then the USA with eight. The four Olympic doping charts below were compiled from over 20 sources and provide a handy summary of doping in the Olympic Games from 1968-2010.

The number of doping cases reported refers to the number of positive tests found by the International Olympic Committee and the WADA-accredited laboratory run by anti-doping scientists from multiple countries. Athletes who tested positive for banned substances prior to the Olympics and were not allowed to compete are not included in these numbers. For example, WADA President John Fahey announced that at least 107 athletes who play Summer Olympic sports were sanctioned for doping in the six months leading up to the London Olympics, making them ineligible to compete.

Granted this information does not include the last two Olympics. 

Another interesting read:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-scientific-american-guide-to-cheating-in-the-olympics/

Well, yes and…not really. One the one hand, WADA-accredited labs processed an astounding 186,073 blood and urine samples in 2014, the most recent year for which figures are available. Slightly less than 1 percent of those came back with an “adverse” or “atypical” finding, jargon for a positive or suspicious result. That translates into a large number of positive tests—but contrast that figure with the 29 percent of athletes at a major international meet who, when promised anonymity by researchers, admitted to using PEDs. Clearly, plenty of cheaters are getting away with it.

One reason is that the dopers remain about five to 10 years ahead of the testers. Consider the example of recombinant erythropoietin, or EPO, a potent hormone that boosts red blood cell count (and, thus, aerobic endurance). The drug had been in use for more than a decade before a reliable test was introduced in 2000, at the Sydney Olympics. Yet tests, clearly, have not stopped its use. In 2014 57 athletes tested positive for EPO, according to WADA. Anecdotal evidence, however, suggests it may be far more pervasive; because the drug only remains in the athlete’s system for a matter of hours, low doses are very difficult to detect.

Just let them all dope, they're going to do it anyway; be it trying to get away with using banned drugs or finding new ones that work but aren't yet illegal. I don't even understand why people get so upset over them anyway. It's common knowledge that the Captain of all America used PEDs, and everyone considers him a hero. Hypocrites.

10 hours ago, Buppy said:

Just let them all dope, they're going to do it anyway; be it trying to get away with using banned drugs or finding new ones that work but aren't yet illegal. I don't even understand why people get so upset over them anyway. It's common knowledge that the Captain of all America used PEDs, and everyone considers him a hero. Hypocrites.

Is it a crime to want to see muscly boys send each other over the ropes every game? It's entertainment sports. Doping should be mandatory.