• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Jonas Mahonas

Mike Green - worth?

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

Yeah, under no circumstances do we not trade Green. He needs to be moved before the deadline to the highest bidder. If that's for a late 1st, great. If all we can get is a late 2nd, you still do it. I'd start shopping him now, and possibly make a deal before the deadline if a team is willing to overpay.

In saying that, I'd definitely be open to bringing him back this summer on a similar (slightly less) deal as his current one. Green is a good top 4 defenseman, and for a team that lacks quality defensemen, it'd be tough losing him without adding someone as good or better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely trade Mike Green for a late 2018 1st round pick or a 2018 2nd round pick+2019 2nd round pick minimal, If the cap does increase to say $80 million or $82 million then maybe offer him a 3 year $13.5 million deal $4.5M AAV if he's interested in coming back. But i agree we need to get something for him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, LoveMyRedWings56 said:

Definitely trade Mike Green for a late 2018 1st round pick or a 2018 2nd round pick+2019 2nd round pick minimal, If the cap does increase to say $80 million or $82 million then maybe offer him a 3 year $13.5 million deal $4.5M AAV if he's interested in coming back. But i agree we need to get something for him.

Agreed. Especially with Kronwall coming off the books soon, and XO/Jensen appearing to be 3rd pairing guys, even if our kids develop we need depth on D and Green brings a skill set nobody else on this team has.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, kliq said:

Agreed. Especially with Kronwall coming off the books soon, and XO/Jensen appearing to be 3rd pairing guys, even if our kids develop we need depth on D and Green brings a skill set nobody else on this team has.

Supposedly from what i heard, Is that Mike Green and his family love the Detroit area same with Nielsen, And it sounded like he might be willing to reup with the club at lesser money like what i stated on my post. And with a supposedly higher salary cap next season i wouldn't be against resigning him once we get Larkin and Mantha and other resigned if we still have the cap to do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not really much debate about this. Nice to see we are all in agreement for once, LOL.

Trade Green at the deadline for a 1st hopefully. Re-sign him July 1st: 3 years, 15 million.

He is the best defenseman on this team. He needs to be brought back.

So without any other additions, the defense in 3 years will look like:

Cholowski-Green

Dekeyser-Hronek

Hicketts-Saarajrvi

Ouellet

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Not really much debate about this. Nice to see we are all in agreement for once, LOL.

Trade Green at the deadline for a 1st hopefully. Re-sign him July 1st: 3 years, 15 million.

He is the best defenseman on this team. He needs to be brought back.

So without any other additions, the defense in 3 years will look like:

Cholowski-Green

Dekeyser-Hronek

Hicketts-Saarajrvi

Ouellet

 

I could see that with the exception of XO. Nothing against him, but a guy like that will be gone in 3 years.

Also, you never know which lesser known guy will step it up (ie. a Gustav Lindstrom type).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, kliq said:

I could see that with the exception of XO. Nothing against him, but a guy like that will be gone in 3 years.

Also, you never know which lesser known guy will step it up (ie. a Gustav Lindstrom type).

I went with all righty-lefty combos.

I didn't list Kronwall cuz he'll be retired. I didn't list Ericsson, Jensen, or Daley cuz their contracts will be up and I don't expect them to be re-signed.

I listed Ouellet cuz he is an RFA after next season and I expect that he will be re-signed.

There is always the guys who could come out of nowhere, or Dahlin or Karlsson or whatever. A lot can change. At least I am hoping so, cuz you aint winning a cup with that d corp.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Not really much debate about this. Nice to see we are all in agreement for once, LOL.

Trade Green at the deadline for a 1st hopefully. Re-sign him July 1st: 3 years, 15 million.

He is the best defenseman on this team. He needs to be brought back.

So without any other additions, the defense in 3 years will look like:

Cholowski-Green

Dekeyser-Hronek

Hicketts-Saarajrvi

Ouellet

I don't mind Green as our top defender now, but we definitely need to replace him in that role (slide him down) three years from now (if he's still here). I'd prefer to trade for a high end defense prospect now in hopes that he can emerge into a top pair defenseman. If not through trade though, we should draft and develop our own. I just don't see us landing a legit number one through free agency.

Other than that, I'd prefer to keep Jensen over Ouellet, but I've never been a big fan of Ouellet, so take that for what it's worth. Same goes for Saarijarvi, but I really hope he proves me wrong. As you and kliq alluded to, there's always going to be players that falter, and others that emerge. My dark horse for a player that could surprise is Kotkansalo. I like Lindstrom as well.

But yeah, if we can somehow manage to get Dahlin, he alone could turn our defense around completely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its a simple equation. If we are on the outside looking in (if he says!), we should trade green to a contender for as much as possible, while making it clear that if he wants to come back, a deal will be waiting.

As for XO, as a 6/7 he's ok, but will either take a step forward under a new coach or will depart in the next couple of years. Had he Sproul's physical gifts he'd be a decent #4 type, but he's not particularly big, strong or quick. To survive in this league without those attributes you need to be super skilled or super smart, and he's not quite either. 

A shame we had such hopes for XO and RS when they were winning junior awards, but each had the strengths the other needed. If Sproul was half as smart or competitive for his size as XO he'd be a fixture in this team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

XO is only 24.  People tend to forget that.  It doesnt hurt having a DECENT guy on the third pair who is coming into his prime (26 yrs old - 32 yrs old) and getting paid under 2 mil per.  What hurts is when you pay a #5 dman 4.25 mil per year for 6 years and a #4 dman 5 mil per year for 5 years.  The Dekeyser and Ericsson contracts are abysmal.  Not Ouellet's.

 

__________ - Dahlin (1 mil)

Green (4.5 mil) - Cholowski (1 mil)

Jensen (2 mil) - Ouellet (2 mil)

 

There's a lot of cap room there for a big #1.

Reality is we'll have to draft him.  Reality also is that Holland will have to be gone in order for the Wings to climb out of this hellhole.

 

Edited by Jonas Mahonas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Not really much debate about this. Nice to see we are all in agreement for once, LOL.

Trade Green at the deadline for a 1st hopefully. Re-sign him July 1st: 3 years, 15 million.

He is the best defenseman on this team. He needs to be brought back.

So without any other additions, the defense in 3 years will look like:

Cholowski-Green

Dekeyser-Hronek

Hicketts-Saarajrvi

Ouellet

 

I'm not sure anyone will give up a 1st round pick under any scenario for Green, but if they would, it would definitely have to come with a contract extension.  There is no way he's traded for a 1st rounder and then an UFA come July 1.  Not stating as fact of course, I just don't see that as possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, toby91_ca said:

I'm not sure anyone will give up a 1st round pick under any scenario for Green, but if they would, it would definitely have to come with a contract extension.  There is no way he's traded for a 1st rounder and then an UFA come July 1.  Not stating as fact of course, I just don't see that as possible.

Why not? Most players moved at the deadline are rentals. Very rarely do you see players extended in that scenario, and I would think most teams would prefer it that way. Come help us with a run in the playoffs, if things work out well for both sides, we can discuss an extension in the summer.

Shattenkirk, while admittedly a slightly better and younger player than Green at this stage of their careers, was traded from St. Louis to Washington purely as a rental (was not re-signed). He was traded for a 1st round pick, 2nd round pick, conditional pick, and two mediocre prospects. If Shattenkirk can garner all of that, I'd think Green could garner a late 1st / early 2nd...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Why not? Most players moved at the deadline are rentals. Very rarely do you see players extended in that scenario, and I would think most teams would prefer it that way. Come help us with a run in the playoffs, if things work out well for both sides, we can discuss an extension in the summer.

Shattenkirk, while admittedly a slightly better and younger player than Green at this stage of their careers, was traded from St. Louis to Washington purely as a rental (was not re-signed). He was traded for a 1st round pick, 2nd round pick, conditional pick, and two mediocre prospects. If Shattenkirk can garner all of that, I'd think Green could garner a late 1st / early 2nd...

I probably shouldn't have suggested it isn't possible (not that I went that far).  I just don't see it as likely.  Don't discount how much more value teams would have placed on Shattenkirk as well.  A better player and 4 years younger (27 at the time vs. 32 this year for Green) is quite a massive difference.

The other variable here was the trading partner....Washington...they were absolutely desperate to get over the hump and do damage in the playoffs, so they overspent.  I guess there may always be a team out there will to do the same.  It definitely won't be a for a high pick (I know that wasn't suggested) because no bad team is going to even consider making the trade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, toby91_ca said:

I probably shouldn't have suggested it isn't possible (not that I went that far).  I just don't see it as likely.  Don't discount how much more value teams would have placed on Shattenkirk as well.  A better player and 4 years younger (27 at the time vs. 32 this year for Green) is quite a massive difference.

The other variable here was the trading partner....Washington...they were absolutely desperate to get over the hump and do damage in the playoffs, so they overspent.  I guess there may always be a team out there will to do the same.  It definitely won't be a for a high pick (I know that wasn't suggested) because no bad team is going to even consider making the trade.

I don't really think age matters that much when it comes to a rental though. Sure it matters, but I think what matters more is how productive the player is now. Shattenkirk was a little more productive as well, which is why I wouldn't expect Green to get close to that sort of return.

I think most of the contending teams are desperate to do something, anything at the deadline though. Once that first team makes a splash, it's a ripple effect, and another 6-8 teams feel it necessary to improve their team as well. Maybe Washington were feeling a little more pressure, but I don't even think they overpaid by a whole lot when you look at what most high end rentals tend to go for at the deadline.

I'm certainly not saying that a 1st is definite, but I do think it's possible. Probably more likely to be a 2nd though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GMRwings1983 said:

He would be great if he played alongside Scott Stevens or someone like that.  He's so bad defensively that any team which takes him better have a solid stay at home defensive partner for him.  

I'd say Green's value dropped after last night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now