• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

kjw25

Blashill says struggling Wings must "Trust The Process."

Rate this topic

10 hours ago, Buppy said:

I hope you're just talking about Chaps, because as far as I've seen Mrazek has been the target of far more fan vitriol than was ever directed at Jimmy. In general the worst ever said about Jimmy is that he's average, overpaid, and couldn't win us a Cup. All that was also said about Mrazek even starting early last year, with much worse coming by the end, to now you and a few others basically saying that anyone who thinks Mrazek can still be a good player must be stupid.

Mrazek has ability. Even in the last two years he's had good stretches. He is now basically the same age as Jimmy when he was a rookie. Whether or not he can identify and correct whatever issues he's been having is certainly a valid concern, as is the question of what, if any, length we should go to to keep him. But this whole anti-Mrazek movement seems mostly predicated on the desire to exact revenge for perceived slights against Howard. It's distracting.

Actually no he is getting it much easier than Howard did. Maybe you want me to jog your memory and pull up some excerpts? My how time fades peoples memories. 

Also Howie has never had a season as bad as mrazek has last year and this year. 

12 hours ago, Buppy said:

I hope you're just talking about Chaps, because as far as I've seen Mrazek has been the target of far more fan vitriol than was ever directed at Jimmy. In general the worst ever said about Jimmy is that he's average, overpaid, and couldn't win us a Cup. All that was also said about Mrazek even starting early last year, with much worse coming by the end, to now you and a few others basically saying that anyone who thinks Mrazek can still be a good player must be stupid.

Mrazek has ability. Even in the last two years he's had good stretches. He is now basically the same age as Jimmy when he was a rookie. Whether or not he can identify and correct whatever issues he's been having is certainly a valid concern, as is the question of what, if any, length we should go to to keep him. But this whole anti-Mrazek movement seems mostly predicated on the desire to exact revenge for perceived slights against Howard. It's distracting.

This is a major part of our problems in the last 5+ years with our organization.  We covet and want to keep our average talent with hopes of the player improving beyond which is likely realistic.  IMO...we need to start trading these average players while they have still have value and start getting pieces that have proven ability...EVEN IF this puts us in situations where the evaluation of the trade seem like the Wings didn't get the "better" of the deal.  I'd rather get a solid 2nd/3rd liner who can play RIGHT NOW and trade away some players who are going to be "projects" but show they have a lot of potential, than to sit on these guys who don't pan out and get nothing for them. This would also, in turn, help our cap management strategy which is garbage and has put us behind the "8 ball". 

Tired of this organization and all of their high hopes and pet projects when it comes to player development.  Many of the players in GR which we all (myself included) tend to over hype and salivate for when looking at their performance in GR, or in Traverse City training camp.  Yes, we need to have some patience and they need to be given a fair shot at making the Wings club.  But their needs to be a shorter decision point, and if they can't cut it, SOME (not all) of these guys need to be packaged up and included as assets in potential trade deals.  Our organization seems to think that success in GR is going to translate in to solid Wings/NHL players and it's simply not the case.  The overall success of the Griffs has at times blurred the optics on some players who we think will be superstars for the Wings one day.  Screw "one day".  I get annoyed every Sept when i read article after article about training camp and how X or Y player is going to be a "Stud" down the road.  Wings need to be more decisive with their talent decisions before it's too late and they just rot in GR/AHL the rest of their careers.   There are only approx 600 players playing in the NHL...the odds are low that many these pet projects the Wings love investing in will play in the NHL..or at least not play for very long.

Edited by Learn2LuvIt

3 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

I dont hate Howard.  I just always thought he was average.  And he makes a lot of $ to j7st be average.

Howard's cap hit is 15th in the NHL.  He's paid exactly like an average starting goalie.

2 hours ago, Learn2LuvIt said:

This is a major part of our problems in the last 5+ years with our organization.  We covet and want to keep our average talent with hopes of the player improving beyond which is likely realistic.  IMO...we need to start trading these average players while they have still have value and start getting pieces that have proven ability...EVEN IF this puts us in situations where the evaluation of the trade seem like the Wings didn't get the "better" of the deal.  I'd rather get a solid 2nd/3rd liner who can play RIGHT NOW and trade away some players who are going to be "projects" but show they have a lot of potential, than to sit on these guys who don't pan out and get nothing for them. This would also, in turn, help our cap management strategy which is garbage and has put us behind the "8 ball". 

Tired of this organization and all of their high hopes and pet projects when it comes to player development.  Many of the players in GR which we all (myself included) tend to over hype and salivate for when looking at their performance in GR, or in Traverse City training camp.  Yes, we need to have some patience and they need to be given a fair shot at making the Wings club.  But their needs to be a shorter decision point, and if they can't cut it, SOME (not all) of these guys need to be packaged up and included as assets in potential trade deals.  Our organization seems to think that success in GR is going to translate in to solid Wings/NHL players and it's simply not the case.  The overall success of the Griffs has at times blurred the optics on some players who we think will be superstars for the Wings one day.  Screw "one day".  I get annoyed every Sept when i read article after article about training camp and how X or Y player is going to be a "Stud" down the road.  Wings need to be more decisive with their talent decisions before it's too late and they just rot in GR/AHL the rest of their careers.   There are only approx 600 players playing in the NHL...the odds are low that many these pet projects the Wings love investing in will play in the NHL..or at least not play for very long.

Yep, I've long been a fan of trading prospects for proven players either in or just entering their prime.  You don't trade them all, but some of them.  What could they have gotten for Nyquist and Sproul in a package a few years ago?  People are too afraid that the kid that gets traded will turn into a monster when it's more likely they turn into a middle of the road player.  

1 hour ago, F.Michael said:

On NHL Sirius radio this morning Pierre McGuire says Blashill is a 'really - really good coach'...

I don't agree, but I do sometimes wonder how bias we are being fans of the Wings.

There is definitely a correlation in that when your team is good "everyone is awesome", when you team is bad "everyone sucks". 

37 minutes ago, kliq said:

I don't agree, but I do sometimes wonder how bias we are being fans of the Wings.

There is definitely a correlation in that when your team is good "everyone is awesome", when you team is bad "everyone sucks". 

I wouldn't say he's a "really, really good coach", but he's definitely much better than Wings fans would ever give him credit for. There's still a lot of personnel decisions he makes that I hate, but I think he's done some good with this roster as well.

On 2017-12-19 at 10:12 AM, Jonas Mahonas said:

I dont hate Howard.  I just always thought he was average.  And he makes a lot of $ to j7st be average.

This isn’t aimed at you, just used it for the Howard hate part.

I don’t hate Howard either. It has nothing to do with disliking him. It’s disliking this team’s direction in regards to a situation he’s part of.

I still have my Howard jersey, I haven’t burnt it outside on the front lawn while screaming at the sky. I just think the team needs to move on from him if they want to move a goalie, like they do with many current veteran players,  regardless of if he’s playing better than Mrazek currently. His numbers aren’t THAT great. He’s currently 16th in GAA out of the 18 goalies who have played at least 25 games so far. Only Craig Anderson has a worse sv% than him out of the 18. 

It’s very easy to turn it into a “this guy vs. that guy” thing when it comes to goaltenders in comparison with forwards and defencemen, because each team only carries two. It can seem like hatred, but it’s not.

Edited by chaps80

2 hours ago, chaps80 said:

This isn’t aimed at you, just used it for the Howard hate part.

I don’t hate Howard either. It has nothing to do with disliking him. It’s disliking this team’s direction in regards to a situation he’s part of.

I still have my Howard jersey, I haven’t burnt it outside on the front lawn while screaming at the sky. I just think the team needs to move on from him if they want to move a goalie, like they do with many current veteran players,  regardless of if he’s playing better than Mrazek currently. His numbers aren’t THAT great. He’s currently 16th in GAA out of the 18 goalies who have played at least 25 games so far. Only Craig Anderson has a worse sv% than him out of the 18. 

It’s very easy to turn it into a “this guy vs. that guy” thing when it comes to goaltenders in comparison with forwards and defencemen, because each team only carries two. It can seem like hatred, but it’s not.

That's fair and good, but you wanna trade Howard so we can run a 3.64 GAA 0.892% Mrazek? That's insane. Howard isn't THAT great, sure, but he's lightyears ahead of Mrazek. Mrazek is likely looking at his last season here... I'm all for moving Howard if there's something better waiting. But there is not.

4 hours ago, The Datsyukian Deke said:

If we really wanted to tank, going with that 3.64 GAA 0.892% could be a very good idea...

Howards not keeping us afloat. We can tank with him.

Better that than completely destroying the confidence and culture of this team with Mraz at the helm. Basically... we can tank without becoming Buffalo. 

8 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

That's fair and good, but you wanna trade Howard so we can run a 3.64 GAA 0.892% Mrazek? That's insane. Howard isn't THAT great, sure, but he's lightyears ahead of Mrazek. Mrazek is likely looking at his last season here... I'm all for moving Howard if there's something better waiting. But there is not.

The thing is, many refuse to give Mrazek a clean slate after last season. And for the most part, it’s the people who never wanted Howard replaced. You felt he was worth keeping and worth a shot at getting back on track. Mrazek hasn’t played much, so it’s hard to gauge where he is with 8 starts and 3 relief appearances. He was good against NYI the other night. Withstood a barrage of shots. If the team doesn’t want to give him a run for a few games, then just alternate each game. Jimmy can still play, and Mrazek gets a decent chance at playing fairly regularly.

There is NOTHING to lose by doing that. Both goalies have bad numbers for the amount of starts they each have. It’s not like Howard is putting together a Hart/Vezina combo season carrying the team. Among ‘starters’, Jimmy ranks very close to the bottom. Among ‘backups’, so does Mrazek. That should point to the D as the obvious issue, which it is.

Honestly, if Howard was traded, there are options in the off-season if Mrazek doesn’t get his s*** together again playing full time. He’s kind of another Elliott. He’s a good goalie and is playing well enough to hold the starting job right now, but has his bad times, and is very replaceable. 

1 hour ago, chaps80 said:

The thing is, many refuse to give Mrazek a clean slate after last season. And for the most part, it’s the people who never wanted Howard replaced. You felt he was worth keeping and worth a shot at getting back on track. Mrazek hasn’t played much, so it’s hard to gauge where he is with 8 starts and 3 relief appearances. He was good against NYI the other night. Withstood a barrage of shots. If the team doesn’t want to give him a run for a few games, then just alternate each game. Jimmy can still play, and Mrazek gets a decent chance at playing fairly regularly.

There is NOTHING to lose by doing that. Both goalies have bad numbers for the amount of starts they each have. It’s not like Howard is putting together a Hart/Vezina combo season carrying the team. Among ‘starters’, Jimmy ranks very close to the bottom. Among ‘backups’, so does Mrazek. That should point to the D as the obvious issue, which it is.

Honestly, if Howard was traded, there are options in the off-season if Mrazek doesn’t get his s*** together again playing full time. He’s kind of another Elliott. He’s a good goalie and is playing well enough to hold the starting job right now, but has his bad times, and is very replaceable. 

Trade Howard, Mrazek continues to crap the bed, he leaves, and next year the goalies are a mediocre free agent and a scrub like Coreau.  Sounds like a great way to get another high pick for 2019.  Git-r-done Kenny!

4 hours ago, DickieDunn said:

Trade Howard, Mrazek continues to crap the bed, he leaves, and next year the goalies are a mediocre free agent and a scrub like Coreau.  Sounds like a great way to get another high pick for 2019.  Git-r-done Kenny!

Or trade neither. All that’s at stake right now is a POSSIBLE half decent draft pick, and Holland only received one known actual offer, now off the table. From Edmonton for a 4th or 5th depending on how much salary was retained. Holland declined.

If Mrazek doesn’t earn his qualifier, Holland can give him the qualifying amount “in principle”, then negotiate and sign him for less if both sides agree to him staying put. If he’s offer sheeted, which is a rare occurancr, it won’t be for more than the third round compensation pick amount, and Holland can easily match if he cares to. 

If Holland wants to part ways, then he loses him for nothing. But at least he can move on knowing he gave Mrazek a proper chance, and did all he could to try to get him to reach his potential. I think anyone would agree Mrazek would have to move on if he fails to get his numbers up this season if given the starts. If he becomes something elsewhere, it’s no ones fault. 

Holland doesn’t have anything on the table at this point anyways (that’s known), and won’t get much IF there is an offer. Most of the rumoured “interest” turned out to be fleeting.

Howard is still locked up for one more year, so no one has to worry about that. 

If they give him the qualifying offer, no way does Mrazek sign for less.  That would be monumentally stupid on his part.

Name one thing Mrazek has done since February 2016 to show that he deserves to get the majority of the starts now.

13 hours ago, chaps80 said:

Oh lord lmao please keep living in lala land where Mrazek deserves more starts and Mrazek is in the same league as Howard lol 

On 12/12/2017 at 6:06 PM, kjw25 said:

Actual quote from our coach today. Lets see how the "process" is working. 1 win in our last 10 games. Following that process we would end the year with 8 wins! What is this process he is talking about? Is it turning the puck over multiple times a game. Is it never being able to finish? What is THE PROCESS???

It's so obvious and so simple. What they REALLY need to do is execute the process!

2 hours ago, DickieDunn said:

Blashill has Da Process, Rod Marinelli had Pound da Rock.  Both should never be head coaches again.

It's not a Blashism, though. It's pretty much the go to cliche for every struggling team now.

Here's a Flyer saying it:

http://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/video/flyers-prospect-carter-hart-you-gotta-trust-process-development

A Flame:

https://www.thescore.com/s/3079113

Google it and I'm sure you can find many other examples. Comes from 76ers coach originally, apparently.

Boy Hakan Anderson is super high on Dahlin.

They're even saying he's ahead of Karlsson and Lidstrom at his age.

This is the kinda player who could immediately fix our defense and team. Imagine suddenly inserting Karlsson to our lineup at no cost. Much want. 

5 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Boy Hakan Anderson is super high on Dahlin.

They're even saying he's ahead of Karlsson and Lidstrom at his age.

This is the kinda player who could immediately fix our defense and team. Imagine suddenly inserting Karlsson to our lineup at no cost. Much want. 

Yup, it seems like every scout has been saying the same thing for the past year now. No defensive prospect has been this good in forever. He could honestly be just as impactful to a franchise as a Crosby or McDavid. Kid is an absolute stud. He'd look great in the Winged Wheel...