• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
HockeytownRules19

Michael Rasmussen out a while

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, kliq said:

He was tearing up the WHL before his injury (or maybe he was even playing hurt the entire time) but when you are his size playing against 16-19 year old's its not exactly the best way to asses him.

I'd like him to get healthy and go to the AHL to see what he can do with that frame against men.

He was starting to heat up the past couple weeks, but I wouldn't say he was tearing up the league. He'll get a look in the playoffs with the Griffins (if they make it), otherwise, he'll be in juniors again next season, unless he makes the Red Wings.

4 hours ago, kliq said:

He was tearing up the WHL before his injury (or maybe he was even playing hurt the entire time) but when you are his size playing against 16-19 year old's its not exactly the best way to asses him.

I'd like him to get healthy and go to the AHL to see what he can do with that frame against men.

He can't go to GR until his junior team is done for the year.  Otherwise every kid that was drafted would want to play pro and get paid instead of playing in juniors for whatever stipend they get

4 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Not me. I didn't want Tippett cuz we didn't need anymore wingers. Between Rass and Vilardi, I was OK with either one. They both filled a need and I didn't think one was better than the other. Plus I still have faith in our scouts.

I don't think he's in Detroit next year tho. Maybe like the first 10 games or so before he gets sent down. But there's still a logjam up front, I don't know if there will be a spot for him in the top 9.

I give him 2-3 years to be honest. Unless he REALLY impress them at the training camp next year and steals someone's job. 

Edited by kickazz

39 minutes ago, kickazz said:

I give him 2-3 years to be honest. Unless he REALLY impress them at the training camp next year and steals someone's job. 

I vaguely remember Holland saying he feels Rasmussen is very close to being NHL-ready, something he almost never says about a teenage Wings prospect. And, anecdotally, damn near every article I read that mentions Rasmussen, regardless of who's writing it and who's publishing it, says he's expected to make a very serious push for a spot out of next year's camp. Even write-ups that get posted on the Wings' official site.

All of which is to say: I think the Wings want and expect Rasmussen to be on the big club sooner rather than later. I just hope these wrist issues don't set him back too much.

1 hour ago, Dabura said:

I vaguely remember Holland saying he feels Rasmussen is very close to being NHL-ready, something he almost never says about a teenage Wings prospect. And, anecdotally, damn near every article I read that mentions Rasmussen, regardless of who's writing it and who's publishing it, says he's expected to make a very serious push for a spot out of next year's camp. Even write-ups that get posted on the Wings' official site.

All of which is to say: I think the Wings want and expect Rasmussen to be on the big club sooner rather than later. I just hope these wrist issues don't set him back too much.

But when Holland says "close to NHL ready" that could mean 2-3 years, no? 

Anyways if he does come in sooner, it would make sense seeing as how AA, Larkin, Mantha are all NHL ready. Bertuzzi is now in the mix too, although we'll see how long that lasts.

Ras and Svech coming in together would be nice. Maybe even Cholowski (who by the way is doing very well in WHL).

Edited by kickazz

26 minutes ago, kickazz said:

Anyways if he does come in sooner, it would make sense seeing as how AA, Larkin, Mantha are all NHL ready. Bertuzzi is now in the mix too, although we'll see how long that lasts.

Ras and Svech coming in together would be nice. Maybe even Cholowski (who by the way is doing very well in WHL).

I wish I could find the quote. I could be misremembering, and I could've misinterpreted what he was saying when I originally read it, but the impression I got was "2018-19 at the earliest, 2019-20 at the latest. (Assuming he progresses the way we think he will.)"

I'm hoping for a really good pool of young forward prospects at next year's training camp. Rasmussen, Svechnikov, maybe a guy like Kasperi Kapanen (via a trade deadline deal), maybe we get Andrei Svechnikov/Zadina/Tkachuk in the draft. In theory, I'd be in favor of all of those players making the team. Move out Nyquist/Tatar and Helm at the deadline or the draft. Throw the fans a bone, give them something to get really excited about. A forward group with Larkin, Mantha, Athanasiou, Frk, Bertuzzi, Rasmussen, Svechnikov, Kapanen, Zadina/Tkachuk would be HYPE! as f***, in my scientific estimation.

On D...I'm expecting very little (if any) turnover between now and next October. But you never know. Cholowski has been doing well in the WHL, but, for me, Hronek putting up points in the AHL as a scrawny 20-year-old rookie defenseman is a bigger story. Keep an eye on him.

4 hours ago, Dabura said:

3 hours ago, kickazz said:

I do believe that there was an article or quote posted around preseason time that Holland said both Rass and Hicketts are like 3 years away. I believe it was in thread about Rasmussen being drafted 9th overall, but I can't find it now. I remember it because I commented on it.

ChristopherReevesLegs

• FUN MUST BE ALWAYS
  •  
  • ChristopherReevesLegs
  • 3,369 posts

On 97.1 Holland said no progress with AA, nothing coming soon.

Also said Big Ras and Lil Hicks are each 3/4 years away from wearing the wheel...

Here it is. CRL posted it.

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

28 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

I do believe that there was an article or quote posted around preseason time that Holland said both Rass and Hicketts are like 3 years away. I believe it was in thread about Rasmussen being drafted 9th overall, but I can't find it now. I remember it because I commented on it.

ChristopherReevesLegs

• FUN MUST BE ALWAYS
  •  
  • ChristopherReevesLegs
  • 3,369 posts

Also said Big Ras and Lil Hicks are each 3/4 years away from wearing the wheel...

I knew my subconscious had it stored somewhere. 

9 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

He was starting to heat up the past couple weeks, but I wouldn't say he was tearing up the league. He'll get a look in the playoffs with the Griffins (if they make it), otherwise, he'll be in juniors again next season, unless he makes the Red Wings.

OK maybe I shouldnt have said "tearing up the league", thats fair. But his stat line was 22GP 16-15-31. 16 goals in 22 games (ie. 0.73 goals a game) is pretty impressive to me. I think that was good for top 10 in GPG in the league.

6 hours ago, DickieDunn said:

He can't go to GR until his junior team is done for the year.  Otherwise every kid that was drafted would want to play pro and get paid instead of playing in juniors for whatever stipend they get

Can you clarify the rule? I wasn't aware of this.

I'm not trying to prove you wrong or anything, legitimately I thought that if you signed an entry level deal you were paid regardless of where you play and your team could put you wherever they want.

Is it because he started the year in the WHL? 

57 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

ChristopherReevesLegs

• FUN MUST BE ALWAYS
  •  
  • ChristopherReevesLegs
  • 3,369 posts

I remember him saying that (and I remember discussing it here), but I also remember him saying otherwise, post-preseason.

Even without a contradictory quote, I can't see him taking three years to crack the lineup. He's on his ELC, he had a great training camp, he's one of the best prospects we've had in a long time, he's 6'6...his post-draft journey to the NHL will ultimately be shorter than what we're used to, IMO.

1 hour ago, kliq said:

Can you clarify the rule? I wasn't aware of this.

I'm not trying to prove you wrong or anything, legitimately I thought that if you signed an entry level deal you were paid regardless of where you play and your team could put you wherever they want.

Is it because he started the year in the WHL? 

I believe its a rule that because of his age, he has to be sent down to his junior team if he doesn't make the Wings roster. He can't be sent down to GR as long as his age (under 20 or less than 4 years in Juniors) makes him eligible to play in the CHL. Otherwise all 18 and 19 year olds would want to be sent to the AHL to make more money then go back to juniors (Teams would prefer this too so that they have more control over the player's development) Once his WHL season is over, he can be reassigned to GR and finish out the season there. I don't know of any links to post for this tho. Just my understanding.

1 hour ago, Dabura said:

I remember him saying that (and I remember discussing it here), but I also remember him saying otherwise, post-preseason.

Even without a contradictory quote, I can't see him taking three years to crack the lineup. He's on his ELC, he had a great training camp, he's one of the best prospects we've had in a long time, he's 6'6...his post-draft journey to the NHL will ultimately be shorter than what we're used to, IMO.

Hope you're right.

23 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

I believe its a rule that because of his age, he has to be sent down to his junior team if he doesn't make the Wings roster. He can't be sent down to GR as long as his age (under 20 or less than 4 years in Juniors) makes him eligible to play in the CHL. Otherwise all 18 and 19 year olds would want to be sent to the AHL to make more money then go back to juniors (Teams would prefer this too so that they have more control over the player's development) Once his WHL season is over, he can be reassigned to GR and finish out the season there. I don't know of any links to post for this tho. Just my understanding.

Oh ok, that makes sense. Does he not get paid his 925K if he plays in the WHL?

8 hours ago, kliq said:

OK maybe I shouldnt have said "tearing up the league", thats fair. But his stat line was 22GP 16-15-31. 16 goals in 22 games (ie. 0.73 goals a game) is pretty impressive to me. I think that was good for top 10 in GPG in the league.

Yeah, his 31 points in 22 games, 1.41 Pts/G ranks 18th in the league, which is pretty good. But like I said, he was really starting to heat up. I think he had something like 10 or 11 points in his last 5 games. He was previously ranked outside of the top 50 in Pts/G, which tells you how great he was playing prior to the injury. Hopefully he has a full, speedy recover, and picks up right where he left off in a few weeks.

As for timelines, I think Rasmussen will spend one more season in Tri-City, and hopefully crack the Wings lineup right out of camp the following season. I think Cholowski will spend one season in Grand Rapids, and hopefully make the Wings lineup at some point the following season. Bertuzzi should be up for the rest of this season, assuming he continues the same level of play. Hopefully Svechnikov has found his game after putting up 3 goals in the past 2 games, and makes the Wings out of camp next year. Hicketts should be our 6th/7th defenseman next season. Hronek and Saarijarvi are both likely a couple years away.

22 hours ago, kliq said:

Oh ok, that makes sense. Does he not get paid his 925K if he plays in the WHL?

No. As Dickie said, he didnt make the roster and he didn't burn a year of eligibility by being sent down so he still has 3 years on his contract I think. He would get to keep his signing bonus if he signed one, but he only gets paid his 925k when he's on the roster or playing in a pro minor league (unless of course they agreed to a different minor league salary).

22 hours ago, kickazz said:

Mr. Neo It all

I think you're confusing me with Buppy. :lol:

If Rasmussen can be back Feb. 15th-6 weeks, TC will have 16 games left in their regular season. His legs and endurance should be fine. TC's last regular season game is March 18th. As of March 19th the Red Wings will have 10 regular season games left to play. Per the CHL-NHL agreement, players can play up to 10 games per year and still go back to junior. So, once healthy go play at TC and finish the season. Then bring him to Detroit and get a 10 game cup of coffee. Then everyone can see if he is ready/close to being ready/not ready for the NHL next season. Junior and Minors is not the same. Lets get him some playing time and find out. Its not like he is going to hurt our PO chances.

43 minutes ago, Richdg said:

If Rasmussen can be back Feb. 15th-6 weeks, TC will have 16 games left in their regular season. His legs and endurance should be fine. TC's last regular season game is March 18th. As of March 19th the Red Wings will have 10 regular season games left to play. Per the CHL-NHL agreement, players can play up to 10 games per year and still go back to junior. So, once healthy go play at TC and finish the season. Then bring him to Detroit and get a 10 game cup of coffee. Then everyone can see if he is ready/close to being ready/not ready for the NHL next season. Junior and Minors is not the same. Lets get him some playing time and find out. Its not like he is going to hurt our PO chances.

I'd be okay with this, but I would think the more likely scenario is he plays those games in Grand Rapids, which should also be good for his development, as well as give us an idea where he's at in his development.