Rate this topic

What is Ken Holland waiting for?

Athanasiou

Larkin

Mantha

Frk

Bertuzzi

Jensen

It's painfully obvious that Abdelkader, Helm, Nielsen, Tatar, and Nyquist are NOT carrying the play for us.  Add this to their caphits, and there is an enormous shyt storm brewing.  NOW is the time Holland should be working his ass off to get deals in place for the youngsters and get trades made to clear cap.  Not the trade deadline day and July 1st.  

What's Holland doing?  Picking his ass.

1 hour ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Athanasiou

Larkin

Mantha

Frk

Bertuzzi

Jensen

It's painfully obvious that Abdelkader, Helm, Nielsen, Tatar, and Nyquist are NOT carrying the play for us.  Add this to their caphits, and there is an enormous shyt storm brewing.  NOW is the time Holland should be working his ass off to get deals in place for the youngsters and get trades made to clear cap.  Not the trade deadline day and July 1st.  

You just mentioned all of the reasons why these trades aren't happening in your post:

Abdelkader- 5 years/22 mil left, NTC, 19 pts

Helm- 3 years/12 mil left, NTC, 13 pts

Nielsen- 4 years/21mil left, NMC, 15 pts

Holland's not sitting on his hands here. These 3 contracts are basically unmovable at this point. (Yes, he signed them. That's on him.)

Tatar- 3 years/16 mil left, NTC starting 2018,17 points

Nyquist- 1 year/4.75 mil left, NTC, 20 points

I agree with you here. These 2 are much more tradeable.

I think Green, Mrazek, and one of Tatar/Nyquist gets traded by the deadline.

In even scarier news. Tonight between the second and third periods, Jeff Reiger, from 97.1 fm, played part of an interview with Kenny from last Friday. He actually thinks that we have a chance to make the playoffs, and "just get in, and see what happens". Well, what would happen if we happened to jump all the teams in front of us, just to get the second wild card, is getting rolled in the first round by Tampa. Again!!! 

He then went on to pat himself on the back for 25 years of making the playoffs, and that that is a nearly impossible feat to do in the league today with all of it's parity. Reminded everyone that drafting Lidstrom's in the 3rd round just doesn't happen anymore, and that Fedorov and Vladdy were a gamble because they were Communists, blah, blah, blah. 

He then went on to mention that the teams that have been successful since the salary cap all spent years at the bottom, getting high draft picks, and drafting high caliber players. Then mentioned how great we did with Larkin and Rasmussen. 

Then came the most cringe worthy part of the interview, his praise of Blashill. "He's won at every level that he has coached, and I think that he is really starting to get a good grasp of what it takes to win in The NHL. You know that he was one of the youngest coaches in the league, and he just needed a little bit of experience to get him to learn how to win at this level. I think he's going to be a great coach in this league, for a long time to come." 

I've always given Kenny the benefit of the doubt, but after hearing him say all this, and looking at our team, I'm not sure if he even follows the sport at all. Talk about head in the sand. I'm hoping that they move him into Jimmy D's easy chair job this year. Maybe they can share an easy loveseat, or something like that. I'm all in on a 3-5 year, "restocking" period, instead of his "reloading" process, at this point. It took me 41 years of life to see our Captain lift The Stanley Cup, I don't think I'll be around for 41 more years, for that train to arrive at the station, at the rate that this team is going. I hope that Christopher I., has a grasp off how the new NHL works, and can accept the fact that the old ways of doing things, don't work anymore, and that he is young enough to see many years of success, if he can just accept that we're going to have to lose, to once again become winners. 

TL/DR. Kenny gonna Kenny.

9 hours ago, BigWillieStyle said:

In even scarier news. Tonight between the second and third periods, Jeff Reiger, from 97.1 fm, played part of an interview with Kenny from last Friday. He actually thinks that we have a chance to make the playoffs, and "just get in, and see what happens". Well, what would happen if we happened to jump all the teams in front of us, just to get the second wild card, is getting rolled in the first round by Tampa. Again!!! 

He then went on to pat himself on the back for 25 years of making the playoffs, and that that is a nearly impossible feat to do in the league today with all of it's parity. Reminded everyone that drafting Lidstrom's in the 3rd round just doesn't happen anymore, and that Fedorov and Vladdy were a gamble because they were Communists, blah, blah, blah. 

He then went on to mention that the teams that have been successful since the salary cap all spent years at the bottom, getting high draft picks, and drafting high caliber players. Then mentioned how great we did with Larkin and Rasmussen. 

Then came the most cringe worthy part of the interview, his praise of Blashill. "He's won at every level that he has coached, and I think that he is really starting to get a good grasp of what it takes to win in The NHL. You know that he was one of the youngest coaches in the league, and he just needed a little bit of experience to get him to learn how to win at this level. I think he's going to be a great coach in this league, for a long time to come." 

I've always given Kenny the benefit of the doubt, but after hearing him say all this, and looking at our team, I'm not sure if he even follows the sport at all. Talk about head in the sand. I'm hoping that they move him into Jimmy D's easy chair job this year. Maybe they can share an easy loveseat, or something like that. I'm all in on a 3-5 year, "restocking" period, instead of his "reloading" process, at this point. It took me 41 years of life to see our Captain lift The Stanley Cup, I don't think I'll be around for 41 more years, for that train to arrive at the station, at the rate that this team is going. I hope that Christopher I., has a grasp off how the new NHL works, and can accept the fact that the old ways of doing things, don't work anymore, and that he is young enough to see many years of success, if he can just accept that we're going to have to lose, to once again become winners. 

To be fair, Holland's not going to admit publicly that he's doing a bad job.

And don't worry, you will see Dylan Larkin, in his red captain's sweater, lift the Stanley Cup over his head one day soon.

13 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Athanasiou

Larkin

Mantha

Frk

Bertuzzi

Jensen

I think you're just trying to get Leftwinger going... Trollololol

GMs rarely do an interview where they say "we suck, the coach is a mouth breathing idiot who shouldn't be coaching his kid's squirt team, and I've done a terrible job, fans should just stay home and save their money."  Part of being a GM is PR.

Teams don't want our junk, and including Jensen is the lit of good young kids is laughable.  On just about any other team in the league he'd be in the AHL.  Frk is the player I though he was, a guy who can score some goals with the right linemates and is a waste of space otherwise.  Bertuzzi is looking like a good grinder type, the kind of guy a team needs to win, but he's not some kind of difference maker that they need.  Granted, he's the type Holland usually hands a 5+ year contract at $4 mil+, but that's because Holland over values his own guys.  Bertuzzi is the type you plug in to replace a Helm, Glendening, Abdelkader type when they hit free agency and want a pile of cash.

Edited by DickieDunn

16 hours ago, BigWillieStyle said:

@DickieDunn is right, this is just PR. When GM's do interviews like this, they are trying to appease season ticket holders, ownership, media, fans, staff, coaches, players etc. with season ticket holders likely being the main concern. You don't want to tell the average fan that you think you suck and have no chance of the playoffs.

97.1 is a good radio station, I listen to it all the time, but those guys eat this crap up and get so worked up about what is said in pressers/interviews, especially Velenti's crew (but that's also their shtick) .

Take ANYTHING you hear publicly with a grain of salt.

I'm not sure what all this fuss is about clearing cap space. If we're  rebuilding what do we need cap space for?  We shouldn't be out shopping for FAs as a rebuilding team.  The current strategy is fine.  Keep the vets, make roster moves as needed when kids are ready to take over bigger roles (e.g. Sheahan trade), and bring in two or three years you'll give most of your aging vets gone, tons of cap space, Larkin/AA/Mantha in their primes playing bigger roles, and whatever young guys we draft between now and then working their way into the lineup.  Cap space really only matters for teams that are trying to win now.  That shouldn't be the Red Wings.

7 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

I'm not sure what all this fuss is about clearing cap space. If we're  rebuilding what do we need cap space for?  We shouldn't be out shopping for FAs as a rebuilding team.  The current strategy is fine.  Keep the vets, make roster moves as needed when kids are ready to take over bigger roles (e.g. Sheahan trade), and bring in two or three years you'll give most of your aging vets gone, tons of cap space, Larkin/AA/Mantha in their primes playing bigger roles, and whatever young guys we draft between now and then working their way into the lineup.  Cap space really only matters for teams that are trying to win now.  That shouldn't be the Red Wings.

Shi t you’re still here? Thought you might have left us and defected to the Capitals.

Edited by kickazz

On 1/3/2018 at 8:00 PM, Jonas Mahonas said:

Athanasiou

Larkin

Mantha

Frk

Bertuzzi

Jensen

It's all about salary cap and contracts that can be traded. Teams will rob us blind at the deadline because they know we are desperate to get rid of contracts and that we have 0 cap room   Teams don't want guys with high contracts who have done eff all this year. Helm is the type of guy who could be traded, he has been good this year and his cap hit is bad but not atrocious.  If teams can get out of Helm exactly what he's done this year they would be more than willing to take on the 3.8 cap hit.  Tatar and Nyquist are a clone. Trade one of them. Abdelkader isn't going anywhere, he's not good enough this year to warrant any type of interest.  Nielsen has been a disappointment, good two way player yada yada yada, he needs to put up points too.  

On 1/3/2018 at 10:00 PM, Jonas Mahonas said:

.....It's painfully obvious that Abdelkader, Helm, Nielsen, Tatar, and Nyquist are NOT carrying the play for us.  Add this to their caphits, and there is an enormous shyt storm brewing.  NOW is the time Holland should be working his ass off to get deals in place for the youngsters and get trades made to clear cap.  Not the trade deadline day and July 1st.  

On 1/3/2016 at 9:40 PM, Bill Berzeench said:

Why is Holland still picking his ass? Make a trade already.

Wow you did it on the same date (1/3) in both 2016 and 2018 and it was so close to the same time too (around 10 o clock). Did you plan it or was this pure luck? Either way I'm impressed. 

Edited by kickazz

11 minutes ago, kickazz said:

Wow you did it on the same date (1/3) in both 2016 and 2018 and it was so close to the same time too (around 10 o clock). Did you plan it or was this pure luck? Either way I'm impressed. 

It's not that impressive.... I wish all my tinder matches a happy 1 year anniversary exactly one year after we match, even if they never responded to my advances. 

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

2 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

It's not that impressive.... I wish all my tinder matches a happy 1 year anniversary exactly one year after we match, even if they never responded to my advances. 

Wow you're on tinder? I thought we had something going. Cheater. 

3 minutes ago, kliq said:

That is hilarious! @Jonas Mahonas you're usually much more stealth then that!

He is. But Kickazz has a photographic memory. (Especially about Holland picking his ass, that one is still in my head after 2 years). He also posted the same words late 2015 if I remember. I just would have to go find out. I’m sure TheAxe account has the same lines too out there. 

I just didn’t expect him to do it on the same exact day of the year around the same time. Jonas really plans his trolling well. 

9 minutes ago, kickazz said:

He is. But Kickazz has a photographic memory. (Especially about Holland picking his ass, that one is still in my head after 2 years). He also posted the same words late 2015 if I remember. I just would have to go find out. I’m sure TheAxe account has the same lines too out there. 

I just didn’t expect him to do it on the same exact day of the year around the same time. Jonas really plans his trolling well. 

He's got scheduled posts like companies do on twitter. The guy is playing 4D chess at a Ken Holland level....

b79caa196a93617e98c212d1dcfef96b--jack-b

13 hours ago, PavelValerievichDatsyuk said:

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/2018/01/11/wojo-ken-holland-stays-course-amid-uncertainty/109354310/

This is a good read. Holland's a little more open about plans and the state of the team then I've seen him before.

Howard has been excellent but might have to be shopped, considering most of the team’s veterans own hard-to-move contracts.

No