• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Jonas Mahonas

The Idiot GM

Rate this topic

13 hours ago, PavelValerievichDatsyuk said:

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/2018/01/11/wojo-ken-holland-stays-course-amid-uncertainty/109354310/

This is a good read. Holland's a little more open about plans and the state of the team then I've seen him before.

Few things...Blashill has 1 more season under contract, and Stevie Y isn't available until after the 2018-2019 season?

Was under the impression that both had nothing after this 2017-2018 season.

EDIT - found this an interesting read (albeit last spring).

https://www.rawcharge.com/2017/4/18/15343998/steve-yzerman-still-isnt-going-back-to-detroit-red-wings-mike-illitch-ken-holland-tampa-lightning

In particular - 'Rumors swirled—as the elder Ilitch’s health ebbed and Chris [Ilitch] stepped into the day-to-day work—that the heir apparent wasn’t as easy to work for as his father. “Chris is extremely tight with money and he’s very hands-on,” the former Ilitch employee says. “I think he’s very impatient.”

“Steve Yzerman will not come back,” the former employee continued. “Chris has full control. The rest of the family is either too screwed up or just completely uninvolved, and are basically just collecting their checks. So Chris is it for the family and I don’t think you can be in that position and not work directly with Chris because Chris is very hands-on. And Steve Yzerman won’t work for Chris Ilitch.”

Edited by F.Michael

36 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

Few things...Blashill has 1 more season under contract, and Stevie Y isn't available until after the 2018-2019 season?

EDIT - found this an interesting read (albeit last spring).

https://www.rawcharge.com/2017/4/18/15343998/steve-yzerman-still-isnt-going-back-to-detroit-red-wings-mike-illitch-ken-holland-tampa-lightning

In particular - 'Rumors swirled—as the elder Ilitch’s health ebbed and Chris [Ilitch] stepped into the day-to-day work—that the heir apparent wasn’t as easy to work for as his father. “Chris is extremely tight with money and he’s very hands-on,” the former Ilitch employee says. “I think he’s very impatient.”

“Steve Yzerman will not come back,” the former employee continued. “Chris has full control. The rest of the family is either too screwed up or just completely uninvolved, and are basically just collecting their checks. So Chris is it for the family and I don’t think you can be in that position and not work directly with Chris because Chris is very hands-on. And Steve Yzerman won’t work for Chris Ilitch.”

Ha, it's true. I have a friend of a friend who is close with one of Chris's brothers. The guy is a completely dysfunctional, drug addicted, trust fund baby. It's quite clear he's never worked in his life and never will. But when I met him he had a super nice lambo, so that's cool.

2 hours ago, F.Michael said:

Yeah, Blash has 1 more year. I got that confused in my head during the offseason myself.

As for Stevie, that's right, but I really don't think there's any chance of him coming back even after that - at least in the foreseeable future. The Lightning are doing great and are set up for success for the next few years and probable cups. Owner will definitely want to keep him around and I have no reason why Yzerman would want to leave while the payoff for his time there is happening.

Anyway, I've never been one to care much about Yzerman coming back.

3 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

No

Yeah, I think the writer makes a big leap with that suggestion and also suggesting that Daley could be an option for a deadline trade is unrealistic. I mean, Daley has a NTC and was just signed. 

2 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Ha, it's true. I have a friend of a friend who is close with one of Chris's brothers. The guy is a completely dysfunctional, drug addicted, trust fund baby. It's quite clear he's never worked in his life and never will. But when I met him he had a super nice lambo, so that's cool.

My brothers, moms, daughters friend’s, uncle’s, wife’s,  daughter friend’s, brother knows Chris Illitch and apparently he’s not good to work for.

btw the answer to that riddle is my brother.

1 hour ago, PavelValerievichDatsyuk said:

Yeah, Blash has 1 more year. I got that confused in my head during the offseason myself.

As for Stevie, that's right, but I really don't think there's any chance of him coming back even after that - at least in the foreseeable future. The Lightning are doing great and are set up for success for the next few years and probable cups. Owner will definitely want to keep him around and I have no reason why Yzerman would want to leave while the payoff for his time there is happening.

Anyway, I've never been one to care much about Yzerman coming back.

Yeah, I think the writer makes a big leap with that suggestion and also suggesting that Daley could be an option for a deadline trade is unrealistic. I mean, Daley has a NTC and was just signed. 

Yeah I noticed that too. Was a pretty good article up until that speed bump. Makes me wonder how much the writer actually knows about the situation. 

1 hour ago, kickazz said:

My brothers, moms, daughters friend’s, uncle’s, wife’s,  daughter friend’s, brother knows Chris Illitch and apparently he’s not good to work for.

btw the answer to that riddle is my brother.

I'd say we're pretty lucky to have Chris. If the rest of the family is at all like the guy I met, this team would have been sold after Mike's passing, or team funds would be going up someone's nose.

4 minutes ago, kickazz said:

Is this fake or authentic news?

Well, a lot of direct quotes so he did have an interview with Holland. I'd take the rest as the writer's musings - He doesn't seem to have a great read on the organization's motivations and plans. I thought the Holland quotes were the most interesting part anyway.

Just stuff like this quote shows his approach (though we all gathered what it is at this point) in the plainest language I've seen from him: “My philosophy is to try to be as competitive as we can, because I don’t think there any guarantees if you go into these rebuilds,” Holland said. “Sometimes you never latch onto those players that turn a rebuild into a powerhouse. So I’m trying to hang onto the culture we have, and in passing that culture to the next generation, the environment is ultimately going to lead this franchise back to one of the better ones in the NHL.” 

And this part as well:

“The reality is, we’re either a seller or a stand-pat,” Holland said. “I don’t see us spending any real assets to prop us up and make the playoffs. Either this team will be good enough on its own, or we’ll continue behind the scenes to add to our asset base. I don’t like using the word ‘rebuild’ because if I say that, now you’re saying, ‘Who’s he trading?’ It sends this message that we’re not trying to be competitive.”

Many fans on here and elsewhere often get annoyed with him not using the word rebuild.

^ prime example of Holland beating around the bush.

I have no issues with it by the way because I don’t believe in a tear down and rebuild either.

Just go with the flow, trade at deadline, take advantage of draft, continue training the prospects and young players.

Throw money at Tavares when the time comes to speed up the goals.

Edited by kickazz

1 minute ago, kickazz said:

^ prime example of Holland beating around the bush.

I have no issues with it by the way because I don’t believe in a tear down and rebuild either.

Just go with the flow, trade at deadline, take advantage of draft, continue training the prospects and young players.

Throw money at Tavares when the time comes to speed up the goals.

Karlsson

8 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Karlsson

Forgive my ignorance, but how is his ankle holding up?

Would be our luck to acquire him, and then he'd have more issues.

9 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Yeah I noticed that too. Was a pretty good article up until that speed bump. Makes me wonder how much the writer actually knows about the situation. 

I'd say we're pretty lucky to have Chris. If the rest of the family is at all like the guy I met, this team would have been sold after Mike's passing, or team funds would be going up someone's nose.

Upon learning how Chris operates - makes me think back to our discussion as to who is actually 'running' the team.

I honestly think Holland’s end is near, for once. Even if he is kept around a bit longer, I don’t see him sticking around through this whole rebuild, whether Illitch fires him, or he gets tired of it himself. He’s not very good at this whole competing under a budget thing.